FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Squoose Update

Author Topic: Squoose Update
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some of the information may be not be new for some of you. Joshua is just over 5 months old.

1) We took Joshua to the orthopedist a couple of weeks ago. His feet are definitely turned in (although not clubbed like Carl's were). We are supposed to stretch his feet at every diaper change. If things have not improved by his 6 month well baby check up (in 3 weeks) we are supposed to go back to the orthopedist. Casting may be required (probably will be based on the lack of change during the weeks since the appt).

2) Joshua appears to be allergic to rice cereal. Yes, you heard me, rice cereal, the first food that we are supposed to give to a baby. The first two times we gave it to him he got a diaper rash. The last two times we gave it to him he threw up until he threw up bile (we tried it a second time, just in case it was coincidence, not because we enjoy the experience). All of these times had several days in between tries. We will have to ask the doctor where to go from here. I guess Joshua just wants to be like his big brothers.

3) We are still having problems getting Joshua to take a bottle. I am still coming home from work 2-3 times a day to feed him. Next week Carl will be with my Mother in Arizona. We are going to try that week the "let him go hungry until he drinks from a bottle" thing. It will probably be easier on Michael with only two kids to deal with.

I guess that is about all for now.

Carl and Timothy are doing great! They just finished two weeks of swimming lessons. Neither of them wanted to stop. Timothy can't take the next class until he is 3. Carl can take the next class at any time. Both of them improved greatly this time around. They both practice holding their heads under water every time they take a bath now. It has become a contest for them (they're brothers, isn't everything a contest?).

For those who don't know: Joshua=Squoose, Timothy=Superstation and Carl=Mooselet

The above was sent out to our family last week. Pop is currently trying to get Joshua to take a bottle. Yesterday did not go well (he ate about 1 1/2 oz during the 9+ hours I was at work). Today Pop tried a bottle of half breast milk and half soy formula (not ready to try real formula with the allergy issue). That didn't go well. Right about now he is trying a bottle of just formula. We have tried a cup also. The results are the same.

Another update: Timothy's speech therapy has been going well. He is doing so much better.

I guess I am having one of those "Why can't we have one healthy child?" times.

-Mama

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(((hugs)))

You know that soy is a common allergen, right?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*hug*

They may have health issues, but your boys are gorgeous and happy. [Smile] And I miss seeing y'all!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
*hug* It must be so hard dealing with the health problems that seem to have plagued your sweet boys. I'm glad Timothy and Carl are doing well. Hopefully things will get better with Joshua.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't havin' just formula. Also ain't havin' barley cereal. I try these things, and after he cries and spits the food/drink/cup/bottle/spoon out, he gives me a look that says "No you di-in't!" And of course, perhaps moreso only having had a few small spoonfuls, it's still too early to tell if he's going to react to the barley. He's napping now, and if he does react it'll probably be after he wakes up (or it'll be all over him when he does wake up). Heck, he might not have eaten enough to react in any case.

And that frequin' wasp outside is awfully persistent, if non-combative.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there -- children with lots of extra needs around health present mom's and pop's with lots of extra experiences. I only have the one, and he has -- still is -- keeping me on my proverbial toes.

All my best wishes to you both as you juggle three!

Remember self-care and to fill your own tanks!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Carl offered us Timmy to even out the child count.

[ROFL]

Hang in there, Joshua! Hang in there Moose & Squirrel!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Well, Carl offered us Timmy to even out the child count.

We're gonna need another Timmy!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

I'm sure you two are more than capable of dealing with these problems, but it must be frustrating (to put it mildly!).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, what does the dr. say about bananas? My mom says bananas are, like, the most hypo-allergenic food known to man. Although, if he reacts to rice... In any case, bananas taste a heck of a lot better than baby cereal. So if you can get him to eat those and he doesn't react, maybe he'd take some cereal mixed with them. That was the only way I ever got Ems to take baby cereal. That stuff is teh nasty.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I'm a little lost but curious?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there, Mama and Papa. I don't have kids so I have nothing whatsoever to say that's wise and helpful, but glad to hear the update and hope you all find your way to foods he can eat really soon!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
cmc, I don't know if this is what you were curious about. I couldn't find the original thread from when Mooselet first got sick. Maybe Pop can find it.

Mooselet foot update

Mooselet Again

Mooselet

Superstation and allergies

Superstation and talking

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Pop, what does the dr. say about bananas? My mom says bananas are, like, the most hypo-allergenic food known to man. Although, if he reacts to rice... In any case, bananas taste a heck of a lot better than baby cereal. So if you can get him to eat those and he doesn't react, maybe he'd take some cereal mixed with them. That was the only way I ever got Ems to take baby cereal. That stuff is teh nasty.

Really? Bananas are the only food that I am allergic to. They make the inside of my throat itch.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
In college we had a drummer named Ginnie who had a strong reaction when she ate bananas. It made for an interesting party activity. "Hey guys, lets give Ginnie a banana and watch her swell up."
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't bananas and latex have some of the same allergy causing stuff?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I do hope things work out well with Joshua. Good luck!
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((HUGS))) Hang in there, Squoose.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Really? Bananas are the only food that I am allergic to. They make the inside of my throat itch.

kmb, Have you ever heard of oral allergy syndrome?

I learned about it here on Hatrack--there is a cross reaction between certain foods and allergy to certain pollens. It explains my itchy throat reactions to tons of fruits and nuts. Anyway, that site says that bananas can cross react w/ ragweed pollen, so if you are allergic to ragweed there could be a correlation.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.