FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First 5 chapters of Empire on front page!!!

Author Topic: First 5 chapters of Empire on front page!!!
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Already been posted on the other side but thought you all on this side might like to see it too!

Just printed it out. Fun!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm debating whether I want to leave myself potentially hanging at the end of chapter 5, or if I want to just wait for the book to come out in November and buy it, (I guess I'd read reviews first before buying. But then again I could review on my own by reading the first 5 chapters, and it would give me something to do at work) hmmmm.

That has got to be the longest paranthetical comment I have ever made.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes it so when you get it you can start at chapter 6!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
ok ok is Jeesh a word in any other place besides the enderverse?

Because OSC just used Jeesh in the 1st chapter of Empire. [Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, y'know, it's presented as being army slang. And for all we know, OSC is a very popular author in the military. So maybe they'd pick up on it and it really is army slang?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Well, y'know, it's presented as being army slang. And for all we know, OSC is a very popular author in the military. So maybe they'd pick up on it and it really is army slang?

hmmm perhaps,

I must confess laughing when one of the studends said, "my head esplode." Is that from Homestar Runner or is there actually a game where upon losing it says, "your head asplode?"

how do you write like that and not have the editor mistake it for a typo?

Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe "jeesh" is an Arabic word, though it looks like he's supposed to be in Afghanistan.
Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
"Jeesh" pronounced "JAYsh" is Arabic for army, IIRC.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*takes credit for introducing OSC to the phrase "my head a-splode"*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Well I just finished reading the 5 chapters. I will be buying the book and I won't wait for the paperback edition.

I love political science, and this book seems almost tailor made to cause me to geek out.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell from the preview, yes.

Edit: The post I was responding to has vanished.

[ August 09, 2006, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
He said "vast right-wing conspiracy", too. Now, if only he said "secret liberal cabal", I'd be wetting my pants. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I'll be able to like it. I'm too familiar with the reality of the situation and I get hung up on the silly details.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
"Jeesh" pronounced "JAYsh" is Arabic for army, IIRC.

Perhaps his use of the word relates to that meaning, but I think he adapted it in Enderverse to a closer relationship with "gang," but in a military sense. Words change with their applied meaning anyway, so we'll see if it becomes common coin.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
He misspelled "asplode."
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
He did talk about the asteroid defense projects.

I thought Malek was supposed to be in Iran. There'd be no reason for Special Ops being in Afghanistan to be a secret and Farsi wouldn't be spoken by many in Pakistan.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

Farsi is close enough to Dari for it to work. And Special Ops anywhere are a secret.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I've got no problem with Farsi being spoken in Afghanistan. Farsi as a common language makes it pretty much Afghanistan or Iran (unless I'm very mistaken).

But it's not the operations that were secret (well, they were, but that wasn't the emphasis) but the country itself. Remember the bit about "the country that must not be named"?

Everyone knows there are Spec Ops people in Afghanistan. The only reason to emphasize the country being secret is if it's a place that people wouldn't be sure that they would be in and that many people would get pissed about if they knew.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
*takes credit for introducing OSC to the phrase "my head a-splode"*

::was trying to think of the best way of pointing this out when I saw porter's post::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I've got no problem with Farsi being spoken in Afghanistan. Farsi as a common language makes it pretty much Afghanistan or Iran (unless I'm very mistaken).

But it's not the operations that were secret (well, they were, but that wasn't the emphasis) but the country itself. Remember the bit about "the country that must not be named"?

Everyone knows there are Spec Ops people in Afghanistan. The only reason to emphasize the country being secret is if it's a place that people wouldn't be sure that they would be in and that many people would get pissed about if they knew.

Linguistically you are correct. With regards to the "country that must not be named" I thought OSC was just being cute. Al-Qaeda being brought up almost certainly puts the SpecOps on the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan, and I'm pretty sure Americans crossing back and forth looking for UBL and other cute stuff is pretty well publicized.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'll bet you five virtual bucks or alternatively a poem written in the winners honor. Doesn't seem like this is a book either of us is going to read though, so we'll have to rely on someone else to tell us.

edit: I also don't think OBL is going to show up in the book unless it's in the context of a university professor or John Kerry sheltering him from capture.

airmanfour
Member # 6111

A poem it is. I feel obligated to read the book, and dread the flinching that comes with reading things that aren't quite right. The NSA only means one thing to me, and it's sure as heck not National Security Advisor. I had to re-read those three letters re-finding the context every time I read them.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
airmanfour, I have the same problem with NSA, although probably a totally different meaning in mind. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
No such agency?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
New Sh*t Aplenty...
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I kept thinking No Such Agency. Mostly because they work so closely with Christians In Action and Faith Based Initiatives...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.