FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Regulating a 20% tip in restaurants? (Page 10)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Regulating a 20% tip in restaurants?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I eat at this restaurant probably once every couple of weeks. It's a small place, not a chain. There are maybe six waitresses total, and only two of them are consistant. When 2/3 of your staff is turning over every couple of weeks, there's a problem.

By contrast, I bartended at a similar sized pub/restaurant with eight servers, and in my six months there, not one of them left. I go back there now, two years later, and four of the eight are still there.

But when your trainee, who's good, who's worked in other restaurants, is already thinking of quitting in their first week? I think it might be time to adjust some things.

I'm thinking the two consistent waitresses only stay because they keep making a bunch off of trainees, too. I mean, if you're constantly getting trainee money added to the tip pool on top of your own tips, and you don't need to do any shadowing or handholding? Seems pretty exploitative, but it explains why they're there.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
How often do new trainees come through? Seems a silly reason to stay on unless they are getting that trainee money on a weekly or daily basis.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this link and thought of this thread.

http://waiterrant.net./

Naughty language inside.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.