FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wii! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wii!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had whined a pleaded for a Six HUNDRED dollar machine (barring games and controllers) when I was a kid at Christmas my parents would have flatly told me no, and would've done their best to make me happy with something else.

Even that sounds horrible. Sometimes you just have to tell kids "no" and that's it. For all their complaints, they WILL get over it, or they can at least wait until the price comes down to something reasonable.

Nighthawk, your hypothetical assumes that $600, regardless of being unreasonable or not is FEASIBLE. It isn't, for millions of families with demanding children.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
lawls? I'm shocked he hasn't said "n00b" yet.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:

Well I wouldn't want to be considered geek or a nerd, Swampjedi.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Nighthawk, your hypothetical assumes that $600, regardless of being unreasonable or not is FEASIBLE. It isn't, for millions of families with demanding children.

That's not feasible for me, and I'm a working adult with relatively few expenses. When PS4 comes out, people will have to mortgage their home to buy one. [Eek!]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, they'll just take out a loan and pay for it like they would a car.

Hope the local credit union is offering great rates on PS4 loans in 2014.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, PUNJABEE, I think you should listen to yourself and move along. I'm sorry that you think you know what your talking about, but no one is buying it.
So move along.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
For a fun and simplified version of this threads' pointless 2nd half, click here

[Hat]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
If I had whined a pleaded for a Six HUNDRED dollar machine (barring games and controllers) when I was a kid at Christmas my parents would have flatly told me no, and would've done their best to make me happy with something else.

Even that sounds horrible. Sometimes you just have to tell kids "no" and that's it. For all their complaints, they WILL get over it, or they can at least wait until the price comes down to something reasonable.

That's why most people believe that Sony shot themselves in the foot with the PS3. One of the biggest costs in manufacturing the console comes from the Blu-Ray addition, which as Lyrhawn pointed out, is still unproven. Even the 360 is cheap by comparison, and the Wii (relatively) cheaper still. Between this launch line-up and the Wii's price point, Nintendo's going to dominate this holiday season (especially combined with the wild success of the DS/DS Lite), if not this round of consoles.

Also, Punjabee, you wouldn't listen to anyone's rebuttal of your arguments earlier in the thread, and you're not even adding anything coherent to the thread. Let the rest of us discuss without you derailing the thread.

Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt my parents ever spent a TOTAL of $600 on ALL of my Christmas presents. Let alone just one.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vadon:
I didn't like the math that PUNJABEE used, so I decided to look into it m'self to see the costs. It's cheaper. Far cheaper.

Wii Package (Wii, remote, and sports) = $250 (Common knowledge)
SSB:M = $30 ( link )
3 Controllers for multiplayer = $12, $13, and $13( link and they will be compatable link)
Nunchuck for controller = $20 (Common knowledge)

Total cost for Punjabee's set up = $338

That's like... Really quite cheap. So while I'm at it, why don't I get a second Wiimote to have more multiplayer on the wii games?

Total cost = $378

Huh, now why don't I get say... two launch titles. I like Rayman and Zelda... $100.

Total Cost = $478

Well then, to round it off I think I'll get some of my old favorites. Let's say 6 NES games at 5 bucks a pop, that's $30 more.

Total cost = $507
For the Wii, 2 Wiimotes, 1 Nunchuck, 2 Launch Titles, SSB:M, 3 GC controllers, Wii Sports, and 6 NES games.

I think that's well worth it.

But then again, the value of things is subjective. Personally, I like the ideas people are coming up with for the zany remote.

it's actually $20 cheaper Vadon. The wiimote and a nunchuk are included in the box. Also, PUNJABEE probably meant Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, the nw game coming out next year at $50. However, GameCube controllers should still be compatible with the game.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well, my mistake. Thanks for the help.

But I guess it still balances out. 20 dollars off for the nunchuck plus twenty on brawl.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
quote:
Originally posted by Vadon:
I didn't like the math that PUNJABEE used, so I decided to look into it m'self to see the costs. It's cheaper. Far cheaper.

Wii Package (Wii, remote, and sports) = $250 (Common knowledge)
SSB:M = $30 ( link )
3 Controllers for multiplayer = $12, $13, and $13( link and they will be compatable link)
Nunchuck for controller = $20 (Common knowledge)

Total cost for Punjabee's set up = $338

That's like... Really quite cheap. So while I'm at it, why don't I get a second Wiimote to have more multiplayer on the wii games?

Total cost = $378

Huh, now why don't I get say... two launch titles. I like Rayman and Zelda... $100.

Total Cost = $478

Well then, to round it off I think I'll get some of my old favorites. Let's say 6 NES games at 5 bucks a pop, that's $30 more.

Total cost = $507
For the Wii, 2 Wiimotes, 1 Nunchuck, 2 Launch Titles, SSB:M, 3 GC controllers, Wii Sports, and 6 NES games.

I think that's well worth it.

But then again, the value of things is subjective. Personally, I like the ideas people are coming up with for the zany remote.

it's actually $20 cheaper Vadon. The wiimote and a nunchuk are included in the box. Also, PUNJABEE probably meant Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, the nw game coming out next year at $50. However, GameCube controllers should still be compatible with the game.

-Bok

They are, testers found smash bros to be too hard to play with the new Wii controller, so either use game cube controllers or the old school one you can buy that works with wii.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

quote:
Originally posted by PUNJABEE:
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:

Well I wouldn't want to be considered geek or a nerd, Swampjedi.
Video game thread, that's a forgone conclusion. [Smile]

Edit to actually add something:

For someone who owns a good deal of GC games and controls, I'm very excited that I can use them with the Wii (if I understand correctly). I need to preorder mine! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

You can connect up to 4 GameCube controllers, and all GC games should be compatible, according to reports.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

That just makes my day. I do notice that GC controllers aren't necessarily compatible with Wii games, which makes sense.

I have to find a bunch of people to play this with - shouldn't be too hard. Might need a bigger TV though... [Big Grin]

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Penny Arcade did a comic about this thread!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/09/15

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
(And it's been linked twice in the thread already.) [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, was that the third one back there? [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw! I haven't actually read this thread in a while, so I missed it [Smile] I just remembered being really annoyed, and I thought that would lighten the mood ...
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

Actually, mine was technically the first "link" since the other one just pasted the url. Do I get a cookie? [Razz]
Bokonon
Member # 480

BB, sorry I missed youyr post earlier. Actually, I find it skeptical that testers found the controls hard. The game just hasn't been in development long enough to get to real testing. From what I've read, the lead developer/designer made the decision on his own, from the start.

Which isn't a bad thing.

-Bok

Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How many fo the launch games are actually going to coem out at launch though? And don't say all of them, that's always a lie. Remember the N64 launch? They promised ten or twenty games and we got two. Yes, two. And they were insanely expensive to boot.

And the third console in a row not to have a Mario title at launch. Sad...

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
There are supposed to be upwards of 30 launch titles for the Wii that will be on sale with the system on day one. Also, if I recall correctly, N64 games were $50, just like any others. There may not be a Mario title at launch, but it's due to come out early next year if any of the rumblings are to be believed, and besides, Zelda is a much more engaging franchise than Mario (at least for me).
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Old Mario = way better than any Mario from N64 on. Mario64 makes me nauseous.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, pH. I love Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. Those are awesome games. I find Mario 64 so so at best (not fun at worst). Mario Sunshine was a slight step up in my opinion, but it's still not great. I'd prefer they go back to side scrolling games. A Mario with graphics and unique gameplay like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat would be awesome in my opinion. On that note, I love New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. It's a great game, although over too soon (even with getting all the collectable coins and getting access to all the worlds/levels).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eldrad:
There are supposed to be upwards of 30 launch titles for the Wii that will be on sale with the system on day one. Also, if I recall correctly, N64 games were $50, just like any others. There may not be a Mario title at launch, but it's due to come out early next year if any of the rumblings are to be believed, and besides, Zelda is a much more engaging franchise than Mario (at least for me).

Sorry to burst your memory bubble, but the games at launch were a staggering $80. N64 games were usually $60 or even more because of the cartridges used. Wiki it, or at least look into it more.

Anyway, this guy articulates why I'm cautious and reserved about the Wii. And he also proves my point about the outrageous N64 game prices.

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/200609/N06.0915.1324.09291.htm

However, I will admit, I goofed. The Gamecube was the only console to launch without Mario, my bad. [Blushing]

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.