FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question of some delicacy.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A question of some delicacy....
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what katharina would think. She is often very proper and often agrees with Mrs. M on points of etiquette, while my manners are probably abominable.

(ahh she responded to my off-hatrack question above, before I had a chance to explain why I asked her!)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect Katie has found the closest thing to an in-between on the issues that can exist. While perhaps not quite as formal as what Mrs. M had in mind, I'm wondering if she would also see this as a somewhat reasonable comprimise in the hypothetical.

(I'm not saying this is what Tom should or shouldn't do, I think everyone has to respond to a situation as their character and conscience dictates)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
On the generic "How do I return lost property" question, without the suicide note complication, I think taking reasonable steps to identify and contact the true owner is a good thing to do. This assumes such a course of action is legal, which I make no comment about one way or the other. It saves public resources, reinforces the idea of community responsibility rather than delegating common citizenship tasks to government, and it probably results in faster return of lost items. Of course, one needs to turn it over quickly if one can't find the identity of the owner, either to a lost and found or main office at the facility where the item was found or the police.

In the specific case at hand, turning it over to the police would most likely have resulted in it not getting returned to the owner.

The law of most states makes a distinction between lost and misplaced property. Lost property is property found in a place where it was not put by the owner. Misplaced property is property left in a the place it was found by the owner.

Of course, one can't always tell which a particular piece of property is, but there are good indicators. A credit card on a table in a restaurant was most likely misplaced. A credit card in the parking lot was most likely lost.

The distinction is important because, under the common law, the finder of a lost object held it against all the world except the rightful owner. A misplaced object was held by the owner of where it was found, because it was more likely the owner would show up there looking for it.

Now many states have a "register the item for X days and, if not claimed, it's yours" law. That's good for establishing ownership and can be helpful for marshaling self-interest to get items returned to their rightful owner. However, in cases where the law doesn't require turning over found property immediately and the goal of the finder is return of the object, other methods work, too.

It should also be noted for those who would prefer the police rather than a stranger have one's personal items that the stranger had possession in both instances. The question of which course of action to prefer presumes a finder with good intentions.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I returned it and went out for a coffee with the guy for about half an hour. Without going into too much detail, I think he's okay; he's just going through a bad patch. He and John don't know each other, but I think I'm probably going to introduce them. They actually have quite a lot in common, and John's looking for a D&D player and a mediocre bass player, and this guy is both.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad the guy's okay! It's awesome that you got to hang out with him. [Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a good man, Tom.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
He's actively looking for a mediocre bass player? How interesting.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone in John's band is over 40, pudgy, and -- while good enough to get the occasional gig -- not particularly gifted. They're a mediocre cover band, and mainly get together to jam for fun; if they get paid for it, that's just frosting. So their last bass player, who really wanted to be GREAT, kept trying to make them into a great band -- and they didn't WANT to be a great band. What they want is a bass player who's just good enough to not be bad, and knows it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a fine distinction to know -- *smile* -- and a very nice gesture on your part. I'm glad you went for coffee, as opposed to beer.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's really awesome that you met up with him. Good work, man, Good work... : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice way for it to work out.

Thanks, Tom.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

As much as I appreciate the compliments, I need to point out that a) I didn't exactly do much, here; and b) there's still no knowing how it actually winds up. It's entirely possible that I've read him completely incorrectly. But I don't think so, and am much relieved.
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
You are a good man.
Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.