FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What was the -worst- Star Trek episode ever? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What was the -worst- Star Trek episode ever?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've always felt that, from TNG on, the quality of an episode was inversely proportional to the frequency of use of the word "subspace."
:lol:

That sounds like a pretty good rule of thumb. One exception to it is "Schisms", where Riker, Jeordi, Whorf, and some generic crew members get abduced in their sleep and experimented on.

I'm of the opinion that if we got rid of the holodeck, the franchise would have been much better. A lot of real stinkers would have been lost, and not much that's great would have been lost.

I'm kinda torn about time travel. There sure were a lot of stinkers, including the series finale of Voyager, much of Enterprise, and some really embarassing stuff in DS9. But there have been some real gems as well, such as "Cause and Effect" (where the crew is living the same day over and over, and the number 3 keeps popping up) and "City on the Edge of Forever" (where Kirk goes back to the 1940s and learns that if he lets his honey live, the Nazis win WWII. Of course, Kirk should be used to disposable honeys by now, but it stil...)

Oh, and movie #4, which everybody but me seems to love.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
was Brent Spiner ever a subtle actor when he wasn't playing Data?
No. He's actually a pretty crappy actor.
I've seen him in a few (small) roles I liked. The one from Phenomenon comes to mind.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
He outperformed Martin Short in Master of Disguise, but then again, who didn't.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's spelled Pulaski.

Geordi.

Worf.

(Sorry, it was driving me up the wall. I tried to restrain myself, I really really did. Promise.)

rivka, that should only have proven to you how much I disliked the actual episode. shhh.

The seventh season was odd...I mean, during that season, everyone had some previously unknown relative pop out of the woodwork.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He outperformed Martin Short in Master of Disguise, but then again, who didn't.
Dan Carvey?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
The seventh season really was weird. I mean, you had a few great episodes, like "Preemptive Strike" (Ro leaves to join the Maquis) and "Lower Decks" (even though this was dropped later on- though admittedly, it was the last season and thus not much else to do) and "Inheritance" (Noonien Singh's wife, Data's 'mom'), as well as the ok "Dark Page" (Lwaxana's mental breakdown), "Parallels" (Parallel Universes) and "Journey's End" (Wesley leaves for higher dimensions- captured Wesley's weariness with Starfleet really well). But for the last season, there was also a bunch of crap:
"Interface"- Geordi thinks he sees his mom on a planet
"The Gambit 1&2"- meaningless two-parter. I mean, what was the point?
"Sub Rosa" (mentioned above- Beverly's haunting)
"Emergence"- wow, the Enterprise becomes a life-form and gives birth.

It is true, though, that the 7th season sure did have a lot of relatives popping up.

I had another rule, but it escapes me now. Let me see if I can remember....No, it's gone. But my biggest pet-peeve was the lack of continuity. "The Inner Light" (Season 5) should have changed Picard forever, with his living an entire life-time in the space of 25 minutes. He should have been a radically changed man as only decades of life and fatherhood (and later grandfatherhood) could have effected. But it was only referred to once in all the episodes after that ("Lessons", and it was a throwaway reference at that.

re: TOS. I Love "City on the Edge of Forever", as well as the original Khan episode "Space Seed", not to mention the Organian episode "Errand of Mercy", "Requiem for Methuselah" about an immortal from Earth, Gary 7's "Assignment Earth" and the Nazi-world "PAtterns of Force". "The Cage" (the Menagerie) was actually quite good, too.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
But my biggest pet-peeve was the lack of continuity. "The Inner Light" (Season 5) should have changed Picard forever, with his living an entire life-time in the space of 25 minutes. He should have been a radically changed man as only decades of life and fatherhood (and later grandfatherhood) could have effected. But it was only referred to once in all the episodes after that ("Lessons", and it was a throwaway reference at that.

This bothered me too. In "Second Chances", where Riker finds a duplicate Riker, he's perfectly fine with it. But four seasons ago in "Up The Long Ladder", Riker went on and on about how he would be diminished in ways he can't even imagine if there were other Rikers walking around.

I didn't realize how much this bothered me until I watched Buffy. I remember once near the end of the show Xander said to Willow "let's see how you handle having an evil twin". She responded with "I handled it just fine" because that did happen about five seasons ago.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thanks to this thread I've added TOS to my Netflix queue.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[Cool]
IanO
Member # 186

Yeah, forgot about "Up the Long LAdder". Of course, that is forgivable. Stereotypical Irish colony. I expected "Lucky" to pop up at any moment and then to hear "Frosted Lucky Charms. They'e magically delicious!" Actually, that would have been an improvement.

But I will say, I love "Second Chances." I had just finished reading Imzadi when I saw it. It dovetailed so nicely and I felt the Deanna/Will spark. It was really good. Too bad Thomas never showed up after that (except for a DS9 episode).

And, of course, it showed how the transported could literally do anything the writers wanted and yet still could fail if a strong wind was blowing on a planet's surface (or when floosenbabble particles were more than 5.2 parts per million, or when a johnson field formed spontaneously when Wesley combined his nanobots with Worf's prune juice- "hey, you got nanobots in my prune juice!" "You got prune juice on my nanobots!") when the plot required it.

Ah, Star Trek, gotta love it.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I agree -- "Second Chances" was great. But it still suffered from not being consisitent with the previous time when Riker faced a similar situation.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
rivka, that should only have proven to you how much I disliked the actual episode. shhh.

Oh, it does. Why are you shushing me?

[Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought "Gambit" was a pretty decent two-parter. It certainly had its moments.

Like in the beginning, when Beverly's holding a phaser to the alien's head and Riker points to her and says: "This is my sister. She's angry. She has a vicious temper. I wouldn't cross her."

And I'm sorry, rivka. I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The Voyager episode where Kes goes supernova has got to be the worst episode ever.

[ September 18, 2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Who's Kil? Do you mean Kes, when she had to leave the ship?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
And I'm sorry, rivka. I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Just keeeep pushin'. You think I won't do it, but I will.

Remember, I'm evil. And love it. [Evil Laugh]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I didn't realize how much this bothered me until I watched Buffy. I remember once near the end of the show Xander said to Willow "let's see how you handle having an evil twin". She responded with "I handled it just fine" because that did happen about five seasons ago.

Ah, but that was part of the beauty of Buffy. The writers actually remembered what happened for and referenced it reasonably often. It was a great reward for the fans who would think "Oh yeah! I remember that!" and smile.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Ah, but that was part of the beauty of Buffy. The writers actually remembered what happened for and referenced it reasonably often. It was a great reward for the fans who would think "Oh yeah! I remember that!" and smile.
*a moment of silence for Firefly*
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.. we'll never have a moment in the 7th season of Firefly where Jayne gets in trouble for killin' a guy and he'll say "What like, you've never kicked someone into an engine?"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

and B5
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Yeah.. we'll never have a moment in the 7th season of Firefly where Jayne gets in trouble for killin' a guy and he'll say "What like, you've never kicked someone into an engine?"
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

and B5.

I hated the ending rash of time travel episodes in season 7. Each time they went into the future, Warf's future was entirely different. Why? Because. I don't know. He's on Third. Triple play.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked all the alternate universe DS9's with Dominatrix Karate Chop Action Kira(tm).

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I really liked all the alternate universe DS9's with Dominatrix Karate Chop Action Kira(tm).

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

I hate the Mirror Universe. I can't take any of it seriously for the simple fact that if people were different they would not have married and/or had sex with the other parent of so-and-so at the exact same time so that unique mixing of genetic material became Kirk, etc, would have happened. Let alone repeatedly through each generation, so that there was a mirror Zefram Cochrane, Archer, Kirk, Spock (would an anti-Sarek have mated with an anti-Amanda?), Picard, Kira, Ezri, Sisco.

Was fun on it's first viewing in TOS, I thought. And perhaps was plausible as a single stand alone episode, despite what I said. But extending it forward and backward in the trek timeline (in Enterprise and DS9) was just ludicrous and stretched what limited believability into outright laughable.

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
For sheer dullness, to me, it's Star Trek: the Motion Picture.

For I-can't-believe-I'm-watching this, The Menagerie.

For sheer implausibility, Bread and Circuses. A planet had its Roman Empire last (every world has a Roman Empire?), so that modern brand names for cars are things like "Jupiter" and "Juno" -- the English words. The Yangs and Coms thing, too, for recreating the exact wording of the Constitution by random chance.

Worst TNG: Who Watches the Watchers?

Worst DS9: The Storyteller

Worst Voyager: the one where Janeway arranges with the holographic da Vinci to make a flying machine in the real world

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel qualified to speak up in this thread, but I'm going to make two comments.

First, Ship in a Bottle was a great episode.

Second, I mostly gave up on Trek somewhere along the way of TNG. It seemed like every episode got to a point where things were really, really bad and then Jordi (or Data, or somebody) would say, "Captain, I think if we just accentuate the Robitusson Field, the Calligraphy will exedrinate, and we just might get out of this."

And Picard would say, "Make it so," and they'd push some panels with buttons painted on them and, sure enough, the calligraphy would exedrinate, and they'd all breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time that Picard said "Fire at will," I was always kind of hoping that someone would pull out his phaser and shoot Will Riker.

Annoying little so-and-so.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
But one thing I did learn from the series was that if something isn't working right, it is almost always a good idea to reverse polarity on the fields. And, you know, divert main power to whatever needs power at the moment.

Anyway, that's how I changed my flat tire last month.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Every time that Picard said "Fire at will," I was always kind of hoping that someone would pull out his phaser and shoot Will Riker.

I thought I was the only one. :wub:
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha.

When my brother and I were little, we would always get a good giggle out of "fire at will." We thought that it couldn't possibly have ever passed their minds that that was Will Riker's name. It was hilarious to us.

Yeah, we wanted to see that happen, too. If only for comedic value.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:

I thought I was the only one. :wub:
This would be one of those times that we do not agree.

I outgrew my crush on Wil for a crush on Will. [Big Grin]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I totally had a crush on him. But only with the beard, without it he looked kinda skeevy (strangely enough).
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Agreed. But I have always preferred men with beards than without.
pH
Member # 1350

I had a crush on Data.

Then I had a crush on Tom Paris in Voyager.

They're so not the same.

-pH

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But one thing I did learn from the series was that if something isn't working right, it is almost always a good idea to reverse polarity on the fields. And, you know, divert main power to whatever needs power at the moment.

Really? My engine wouldn't start, so I modified my car's main deflector dish. Always works like a charm!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayelle
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for Jayelle           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't believe no one mentioned the TNG episode "Justice". Wesley goes on trail for breaking a law on the skankiest planet ever. The costumes and the poodle hair are just... the worst thing I've ever seen.

My husband and I have joked that it's so bad it's good, then it's bad again, then it's good again.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

My crush was on Beverly, strangely enough.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
quote:

Really? My engine wouldn't start, so I modified my car's main deflector dish. Always works like a charm!
It always pisses my wife off when, while she's driving down the expressway going 90 MPH, I deem it necessary to eject the core.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm with Starfleet! We don't lie!
pH
Member # 1350

SEPARATE THE SAUCER SECTION!

-pH

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I'm with Starfleet! We don't lie!

Not only do you not lie, but you'll let a perfectly good tactical maneuver be used by only your enemies because you're too good for submarin^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H cloaking devices.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
Originally posted by Jayelle:
Wow, I can't believe no one mentioned the TNG episode "Justice". Wesley goes on trail for breaking a law on the skankiest planet ever. The costumes and the poodle hair are just... the worst thing I've ever seen.

My husband and I have joked that it's so bad it's good, then it's bad again, then it's good again.

Even though it was pretty dumb, I kind of enjoyed that one because I like when you get to see Jean-Luc and Beverly's friendship. I like seeing the crewmates act like normal humans.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
quote:
Originally posted by Jayelle:

Even though it was pretty dumb, I kind of enjoyed that one because I like when you get to see Jean-Luc and Beverly's friendship. I like seeing the crewmates act like normal humans.
You mean when she gets down on hers knees and begs? (Ok, so she didn't QUITE do that.) And this sets a pattern that will be repeated six or so other times ("When the Bough Breaks" comes to mind), of her completely losing every shred of professionalism and rationality because OMG her son, her precious, darling son!!!

Don't get me wrong. I like Beverly. But scenes like that just made me want to slap her!

Q
Member # 3733

- posted      Profile for Q           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
What ST: TOS episodes do you normally skip?

All of them, of course. The only ones I do watch are the ones that feature yours truly.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

rivka, more like when when Picard starts trying to break rules and sacrificing his career to help, haha. But I do also like when Beverly gets to order him around.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't rip on the William T. There is no man in the galaxy who's better at walking jaw-first.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

My crush was on Ensign Ro.....
IanO
Member # 186

Me too, even though she walked like a dude. I liked her fiery spirit. And very cute.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.