FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NaNoWriMo 2006 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2006
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
ARGH! I was going to put in an hour at work before everyone else got in, but looks like a very busy day for me today. [Frown]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry 'bout that. [Frown] (I don't even know what kind of work you do...)
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 500 words done at midnight last night before I collapsed.

Interestingly, despite my very strong desire to write in first person, I'm suddenly writing in third person. Perhaps I'll switch back and forth and then decide when it's over which I like best.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve,

I'm having the same issue! I had intended to write my story in first person but when I sat down and sstarted typing, inadvertently found myself writing in third. Strange, strange world.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I had decided to go with first person, then changed my mind once I sat down to do it. I think I liked the first person idea better when I was reading Octavia Butler. *giggle* So, Third person limited it is!

Anybody know how to get one of those word count meter thingies? The NaNo site is crawling and I'm all hyped because I managed 2500 words after a slowish start (and despite not stopping for lunch, which was a bad idea).

And now i have to run get my big boyto his play. I keep forgetting his performance is today!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Olivet,

Go to the NaNo site and mouse over the menus; under one, at the bottom, is "Word Count Widgets", or something involving the word 'widgets'. You need to know your user number, which is the numbers that appear at the end of the URL when you are viewing your own profile.

Mine, for example, is this:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/NanowrimoUtils/LiveParticipant/125512.png

If you want to use that one, just copy the above and change the numbers at the end to your own user numbers (beware: the images are as slow as the NaNo site).

You have to change it to the img src= html code to put it on a website, obviously, but it seems to work reasonably well.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

So here's a question: How does everyone clock their writing speed, i.e. what is the typical number of words that can be written in an hour? Is it pretty standard or does it vary widely across the board?

I'm trying to figure out how many hours of writing I should schedule for myself over the next 30 days.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I think I'm doing about 500 words a half hour right now. I expect to slow done a little once I reach parts of the novel I don't have planned out.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm in a complete flow, I can do about, um, 3000+ words an hour. When I'm in a decent flow, I clock in at about 1500-2000 words an hour. When I'm really pushing it, then my hourly word count is really sad and pathetic. But this is with a bit of practice challenging myself to write quickly combined with copious amounts of planning & plotting in advance, which works for me. YMMV.

If you can touch type with a reasonable typing speed, then that, at least, won't slow you down. If it does, at some point in time, learn touch typing or work on improving the skill. Or get a headset and decent voice recognition software and start dictating. If you don't know whether you're a plotter or a pantser, find out.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Thanks, Kasie. The site has been crawling for me, which is why I haven't been able to get one of those. I'll try again every so often.

Concerning speed, I'd say I average about 1000 words an hour (more when it's coming fast, less when I'm starting cold with little idea about how to get the next part going).

I'd say it's different for everybody. I'm sure my typing skills slow me down a bit.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh goody, I'm going to start. I forgot about it! (*shame*)

I've decided to put the outline I made on hold and start from scratch. A bad move? Probably. But if I have any hope for being motivated to work on it this year, it has to be a light piece.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I got a really slow start last night, probably taking 3 hours for the first 1000 words, even though I outlined before hand and had a good idea of my opening scene and character. But something clicked about when Chris came to bed and I sat there in the dark with my laptop and cranked out a pretty good chunk before turning in myself.

(Oh, and I have a character named Olivia. She's not based on anyone I know, but I've loved the name ever since meeting Olivet at Hatrack, so I'm using it. [Razz] )

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

LOL! [Smile] I've been struggling with names of secondary characters-- they all seem to want to start with a D. Heh. I also wasn't sure if I wanted a younger sibling of a main character to be a boy or a girl. I'll have to name somebody nice "Karl Ed", but I haven't really introduced anybody nice yet. [Big Grin]
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 1121 words so far. I started it not knowing what I was writing and I really have no idea where I'm going with it either. Nobody has a name yet, but I like it. If anyone wants to read, let me know!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Damn! Now I'm gonna have to make "Olivia" nice.

(j/k. My Olivia is almost perfectly nice. And so far she's the only character that really knows what's going on.)

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, that word-count thing isn't quite what I was thinking of. Does anyone remember the chart thing we had last year? I think it was excel-based, and it came up with all sorts of cool charts and graphs...?

[edit: I found it actually, it's called the NaNoWriMo report card.]

[ November 03, 2006, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Dragon ]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
LOL! [Smile] I've been struggling with names of secondary characters-- they all seem to want to start with a D. Heh.

All of my pirate's names want to start with a G. All other names want to start with an M. It's very frustrating.
Olivet
Member # 1104

I wrote in a Karl Edwards. He'll probably die tomorrow, but he's nice. [Smile] It'll be good though. His death will lead to some nice tension and stuff later. He's like Priest Vallon in The Gangs of New York, there for ten minutes and talked about ever afterward.

I'm up to 5,000 words, 30% ahead of schedule. I'm gonna nead the breathing room when the kids are off school for a week.

Also, I have a cold and feel like crap. I keep thinking the story is going to end up like some fever dream, with flying, multi-colored octopuses or something.

Olivet
Member # 1104

KarlEd, I totally killed you today. Sorry 'bout that. Over 10,000 words total, though I doubt I can keep up this pace much longer.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not written a thing. [Frown]

I'm out before I even got started. I've got so much going on right now, I know that makes me a wimp...but I just got my final paper assignment and I want to get it written before my father and stepmother get here in two weeks so I can spend time with them. I majorly wimped out. I will be cheering you guys on!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
All my characters know exactly what's going on. I mean they live there and know each other and all. Sometimes they let me in on stuff . . . sometimes no. I subscribe to the Robin McKinley school of thought on writing - I don't get to pick it, it just shows up in my head and gets dictated to me. I don't create plots, they're revealed. It's kind of creepy if I think about it too hard.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

My story is going the same way Samarkand. They all know what's going on, myself and everyone who's read it are like ahhhh!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've finally finished with debate for this week. So it's November 5th, I have 800 words, let's see if I can catch up!
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Belle, boy, do I feel like a pratt for bragging about my word count. I was just excited, is all. [Frown]

In truth, I'm amazed that I'm doing this. I could not be more amazed if my dog talked to me. I worked on a novel for three years, on and off, and I still only have maybe 150 pages of it.

I am not supposed to be able to do this. I have 13,000 words as of this moment. I am a talking dog!

So I'm excited. I sit down, and it's just there. Like Samarkand said, it's kind of creepy. O_O

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not feel bad, Olivia, I forbid it!

There will be time in my life for writing, now is just not that time. My goodness I have four kids - two of whom are in activities and a third is a competitive athlete, a husband I don't see enough because he works a terrible schedule, a full time college schedule as an English major with lots of papers to write, I'm teaching choir at church....there's just no room right now for writing. I refuse to feel bad about it, I'm just going to accept it and maybe I'll be able to write when I'm done school. Maybe not, because then I'll be working. Maybe writing will wait until I retire. Who knows?

If I never publish anything again I won't consider it a failure though - I HAVE been published, I know I could do this, I just have other priorities in my life right now. That does not keep me from being delighted for my friends who are finding success with their writing, however. [Smile] I hope you continue to tear it up and I see your name in print, soon.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I've got about 3300 words and my plot just took an odd twist, but I like it.
Olivet
Member # 1104

Thanks Adrian. I won't feel bad. [Smile] It is funny how priorities change as circumstances do. I'm lucky to have a hubby working from home and plenty of time to write while the kids are in school, even when I'm volunteering.

But I think... something has changed for me, fundamentally. This feels exactly right, like what I need to be doing. Maybe even like what I'm meant to do. Not that means I know why it's right for me to do this now, just that it is. I haven't been in print since college, and if it stays that way, I'm still happy. This is just where I am now. *shrug*

Also, if I'm not nearly to 50000 words by the 20th, I won't make the goal. So I'm kind of flogging myself in the short term. [Big Grin]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy! I just got back from a "write-in" with 1100 more words to my novel! Yay!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Yay!

I was doing so well for the first few days, I was way ahead in my word count. But the past three days have been totally useless, so now I'm only at ~7000 when I should be at ~9000 if I want to be keeping up with my schedule.

I did post an excerpt, though, so at least I have some material that I like enough to share publicly (I'm kase1266 on NaNo if anyone's interested. Feedback is always fun).

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
2700 words. I'm way behind, but beginnings are usually the hardest part for me.

I think I'll do better this week. My goal is to end the week at 12,000 words.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
KarlEd, I totally killed you today.
I'm totally gonna use this as my signature at sakeriver. [Razz]

And I can't kill Olivia in my story. She's immortal.

In other news, I'm a little over 1100 words now and still have strong ideas of where the plot is headed. Like Olivet, I'm pretty amazed at how this is going. The words are flowing much more easily than I ever imagined they could. I've got a minor fan-club at work begging for the next chapter, too, so I know it's not trash.

I just added my final major character this weekend (as far as I know). His slot was tough to fill, but now he seems like an obvious choice. If anyone is interested I have 5 chapters I'm pretty confident about. [Wink] (email me.)

Kasie H
Member # 2120

*bump* to remind people we also have a thread going over on the NaNo site =)
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey guys, I know we have a thread over at the NaNo site, but this one is easier for me to get to right now. [Smile] Fahim and I are leaving for Dubai this evening, gone for three days, (you should know if you check the other threads on the front page, but anyway...) so, yeah, I'm severely behind in my writing, but I'll get caught up when I get back, which is Saturday morning. Um, no, I don't mean I'm going to do all my catching up Saturday morning. I mean I'll start my catching up Saturday morning. Or shortly thereafter. [Smile] And yeah, you can nag me then. Please. [Smile]

Happy writing!

Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a great trip, quid! I've been on vacation for the first few days, and sicker than a dog for the rest! Still, I've managed to get about 1000 words done so far, and I have a complete outline. I need to work more on it tonight.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I'm at a little over 4000 with an idea of where to go from here, which is very exciting.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

WooHoo! 10,000 words. It's a milestone. I've never written this much about one thing before.

Well, I guess unless you count school papers. But even then, it's close. How's everyone else doing.

kojabu,
That's great! What genre are you writing in?

Also...has everyone put up excerpts on the NaNo site, or no? I'm dying to read more of them, it's my favorite procrastination tool.

Olivet
Member # 1104

I'm up to around 17,800 today. I do have an excerpt up, but it isn't the best bit I've written. It's the opening, which is kind of weak. I'm sure it will need exhaustive revisions. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

My word, Olivet! Wow! Good work!

How are other folks doing? I'm at about 7400, and I just sent my child away with his dad so I could keep writing, since I'm finally on a roll again.

Trying to decide if I should kill off the husband or let the wife have an affair, since the husband is drinking and gambling the money away, anyhow . . .

decisions decisions . . . and here I thought a romance would be easy to write . . .

HAH!

They were correct in the kick-off get together though -- I have written a beautiful resume as I avoided the inevitable. *grin*

*Heads back to the rolling stone*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

[Smile] Good on yer, Shan! How's it going with everybody?

I've managed to keep a pace of about 2500 words a day, but these last two days have been painful and unpleasant. It bogged down a bit after I hit 25,000 words. Friday was the day I hit the halfway mark, and it was a fast writing day. Yesterday, not so much. Today, frankly, I'd rather just not. *sigh* But I will. I can do this. Just another ten days or so at this pace and I'm done.

Shan
Member # 4550

The brick wall hit me. *sob*

Rats.

Rats, rats, rats.

*sniffle*

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think I would be able to do this AT ALL what with the whole college thing, but surprisingly, I'm only a little bit behind, and that's only because I was away for the weekend.

Odd.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Broke 20k words this weekend. Yay!
Olivet
Member # 1104

I broke 30,000 words yesterday. I think maybe forcing myself to average 2500 words a day has damaged me psychologically. My characters spent yesterday hiding in a hole in the ground. I turned one of them into a bear.

O_O

On the other hand, it would be really pathetic to give up when I'm that far ahead of schedule.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I just broke 6,000 words. November is a really bad month because everything is due in school, so I'm not really trying to make 50,000. I'm mostly just trying to work as hard as I can for a month on something.

With that in mind, I'm pretty proud of my 6,000.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I need to stop reading people's excerpts, it's depressing.

Translation: Olivet and Kasie, your excerpts were really awesome.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia! YAY!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

blackwolve, I totally promise you that the overall quality of anything written this fast will be spotty. Also, you are probably your own worst critic. I enjoy reading almost anything more than stuff I've written. Just the nature of the beast.

Also, I tend to start strong and end with a whimper, while some people just take a bit of time to warm up.

*tackle hugs CT* I've missed you, fair lady!

Olivet
Member # 1104

How we doing?

Me, I got about 1500 words today, though I'm about to try for a few more. Wee boy had his Thanksgiving presentation today, and I brought him home after to get a headstart on his homework and take a fun trip to the library. It was fun.

Kasie H
Member # 2120

I'm at about 17,000. I got about 2000 words today...I'm trailing behind, but I've got a roundtrip international flight coming up so I'm hoping to make up my differences then. Unfortunately for my novel (but fortunately for me), I'm spending a week in Rome, so we'll see how much gets done then...

blacwolve,

I agree with Olivet. Everyone else's story seems soo far superior to mine (i.e. Olivet's... [Smile] ), I'm sure what you're writing is fabulous.

kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
kojabu,
That's great! What genre are you writing in?

Just saw this now. I'm not really sure what genre it is, I'd just go with weird. There's a short excerpt up on NaNo, but I can probably put the whole thing I've written up, it's only 5412 words so far. I fell behind due to tests, trips to Boston, and schoolwork. I'm hoping I'll get a lot more written this weekend and over Thanksgiving.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.