FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NaNoWriMo 2006 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2006
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a thousand words yesterday. Haven't touched it today, but I'm still glad I'm making progress. I'm over 7,000 now.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping to be a bit ahead by now, but I guess I should just be happy that I'm "on schedule". Just broke 25k words last night and today is the 15th.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked on it some more last night, and broke 35,000. I think I have gotten over the hating it and swung back a bit to enjoying it again. This is good, because I don't think I would have been able to force myself to meet the goal if it continued to be so unpleasant. Not with all the other stuff going on with my family right now.

If I'm not within 5,000 words of the goal by Saturday night, I doubt I'll be able to make it. Family stuff comes first, period.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Got another 3,000 words today, up to 20,000, so I'm within striking distance of the 25,000 I should be at today.

Keep plugging along, all...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Big pride and congratulations to Olivet, Kasie, and all others who have been making it happen. Awesome!

I was hit by a mack truck of a virus right when November began, followed by a crunch time at work. Plus, only having net/WP access at work (Dave is using the home laptop for work most nights) made it difficult. Nonetheless, I can Make It Happen, too. It might be December, though, and thus all done offline. [Blushing]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Karl because he gives me something to shoot for without being one of those mutants who is, like, done already.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

[Kiss]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Heh. 200 words today. None of them was "smock," which is sad.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

How're we doing?
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Still only at 5000...
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Just <barely> broke 30k this weekend. Bad weekend for me. I'm glad I got ahead earlier because now I'm a teeny bit behind. I'm gonna be writing a lot over the T-day weekend though.

I have an excerpt up now if anyone is interested. Feedback is always appreciated.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I read your excerpt last night, KarlEd and really liked it. It was painful for me to read in the beginning because stories about the afterlife terrify me. By the end I really wanted to know what happened, though.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Thanks. If it makes you want more, it's serving its purpose, at least. [Big Grin]
Olivet
Member # 1104

I have a tad over 43,000 words written. I may make it, even though the family travel is coming and I'm going to be cooking the family feast in an unfamiliar kitchen. Also, there will be no internet access, so I'll have a big jump in words on the 27th, probably.

[Smile]

KarlEd
Member # 571

See, I know I'm gonna finish* because I'm taking my laptop to NC for Thanksgiving and I'll have a good excuse for withdrawing from the inevitable drama.

"Did you hear what she called me?"
"Nope, sorry. Working on my novel." <typety typety typety>

*"Finish" here means 50k words. Not done with the novel, necessarily.

Olivet
Member # 1104

*GOOOO KARL!*

Right, 50,000 words. I am taking the laptop, but my Papa has a small house. People will be sleeping in all the rooms except the greatroom, which he will be in until the wee hours with the Gameshow Network or the History chanel going. Gameshows I can ignore, but the history usually sucks me in. During the day, I'll most likely be chasing children and cooking. I think I can make it, though.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
See, Karl -- I soooo like that idea -- I have been alternately dreading and looking forward to the family get-together for T-Day. Perhaps I'll drag my clunky laptop along, too. I am behind . . . but I'm twice as far as I was last year, so that's encouraging.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm still doing this. Or that I'm actually on track to finish on time.

This is so odd.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I'm 500 words away from the end. Anybody else finished or close to finishing?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*grin

I am within two days of starting.

(Heyyyyy ... I have a different month for Thanksgiving, so what if I have a different NaNiWriMo month? [Wink] )

Go, Livvy, go!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

[Smile] *hugs*

I did it. I just went and validated my novel. It isn't finished, but it IS past 50,000 words. So, YAY!

Sara, dear, you can do anything you want to do.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*laughing

And a big swinging hug & a kiss for you and your beautiful 50,000+ word novel! What an accomplishment.

Olivet
Member # 1104

Oh, I'm sure it's crap, but it's MY crap, and I'm very proud. [Big Grin]

[Party]

Shan
Member # 4550

Yay! Good for you! I won't hit the 50,000, but I'm very pleased with being twice as far this year as I was last year. *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

That's awesome! I read your excerpt, and if you need test readers, I'd be happy to help you out. *grins*

I'm not going to finish, but I made 10,000 words a while ago, which makes it the longest thing I've ever written. So I'm pleased with this month, too.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so very close. 48,000.

Congrats Olivet! I will join you in your winnerparty soon...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm at 47k and change. I WILL finish 50k before tonight!!
Shan
Member # 4550

Go, Karl, go!

Go, Dragon, go!

Go, blacwolve, go!

*pause* You actually read my excerpt? o O

You want to read more? *blush*

Maybe I won't burn the sucker Friday night at our TGIO party. Maybe I'll keep it and work on it some more . . . *thinking*

Olivet
Member # 1104

*drags out her pom-poms*

GOOOOO TEAM!

I think it would be fun to form a Hatrack NaNo novel crit group, when we're done. Any takers?

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I'm not anywhere near finished, but I'd love to help crit. And if anyone wants to read my 10,000 words, I'd love it.
pooka
Member # 5003

I suddenly died on the Saturday whenever ago. I've done a little writing here and there. I'm going to just finish sketching it out later and see how many words that leaves me at.

Karl- I saw your excerpt over a week ago, I think it's going to be a very interesting book [Smile] Okay, I have 32.4 logged and probably another 1,000 laying around.

I also pulled that old landmark about the chess courtship into a screenplay this week. I'm entering it in a contest Friday. That is probably part of why I "quit".

And holy cow! When did quidscribis finish? Were you putting each day's writing into the text file counter? Because I wasn't sure, but it almost seemed like your count went down some days.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm in for a crit group.
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... I didn't really even get out of the gate, but I do have my idea still swimming in my head. And, I am trying to get something down today to at least have some kind of word count. I had some things that came up that just didn't let me sit down and write. (Totally my fault though. I should have made myself write.)

I'd be in for a crit group. Right now, it would be just in a reader capacity. Perhaps, I might get something done to be a full participant later on.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Do we want to run it here, or do you want to join the Hatrack Writer's Workshop? Actually, if we just have an email ring, that's about all it takes. I'm broken hearted about finishing. But I don't think there's anyway to actually make it. There might have been a chance if I hadn't locked myself out of my house for the afternoon. Also, I apparently forgot (as in I really forgot, I don't even remember ever knowing) to give a widow a lift to the doctor yesterday, so I went and raked leaves with her for a goodly while today. Well, those are some almost not totally lame-ass excuses, eh?
KarlEd
Member # 571

Yay! Just uploaded all I have to this point and it came up to 51,193 words!

I'm really psyched. This is the most I've ever written for a single project, much less in a month's time. Strangely enough I started out with an idea I thought might make a decent short story, and now 50k+ words later I think I might be halfway through the rough draft.

I just hope it's worth reading.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy, I'm not even close.

I failed [Frown]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

No matter how many words, it's NOT a failure, Lyr. I set a personal goal of doubling what I did last year, and voila! I went over that slightly, and in just a minute I'm off and away to do a little more writing, but depending on what I finish before deadline tonight, that means I'm still under the half-way mark. But you know what -- I'm happy. I made progress. I figure in another couple of years, I'll have the knack and I can get to 50,000.

I'd be interested in a crit group.

*smile*

larisse
Member # 2221

I kind of sorta feel like a failure except that I've written more in the past few months than I have in the last few years thanks to quid's flash fiction friday challenges. (Yeah... I know. I lost the alliteration there.) I feel a lot better about my writing. All I can do is try to keep it up. No pressure or anything.

Congrats to all of those who did make it. I am going to go read your excerpts in the next few days. [Smile]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I've read Shan, Karl, and Olivia's excerpts. I've tried to find others, but my internet has been messed up recently, and that's made it difficult to sort through who does and doesn't have one up. If the people who have excerpts up could post saying so, I think that would make it easier for everyone.
Olivet
Member # 1104

*shrug* I do, but you knew that. I went looking for Shan's and couldn't find it, though I had no trouble locating Karl's.
KarlEd
Member # 571

Was it the smell?
Olivet
Member # 1104

LOL. No, no. I loved it, actually. I'm wondering if I had Shan's NaNo name wrong or something...
Shan
Member # 4550

Shan is under HopeSprings. It's my old Hatrack Writer's Forum SN.

Tricksy, she is, precious, yes she is . . . *grin*

larisse
Member # 2221

Karl... I read your excerpt. I am really liking it and would like to read more. You know what's funny. Your story reminds me of the dream I had last night, and I didn't get to read your story until this morning. They both had the very same feel to me.

Olivet... Did you remove your excerpt? I rememeber reading some of it. I was enjoying that one, too.

Oh and just in case, Shan's NaNo nick is HopeSprings.

Olivet
Member # 1104

I did't remove it, but I have not looked to see if it was there...
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm just bumping this to see what you were thinking about a crit group, Karl. I guess if you're not done with the story, it might be good to wait for that. (I'm not done either, I think I'll be re-outlining this morning.)
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't even looked at the story since 11/30. I think I "took a break" and crashed. Truthfully, Chris deserved a bit of attention this weekend since he's been a saint about my writing all through November. I do need to quickly get back on a schedule of some sort. I do like my story, but it's SOOO easy to procrastinate and do "research" and stuff when you're not struggling against a deadline.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.