FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Proselytize vs. Proselyte

Author Topic: Proselytize vs. Proselyte
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they mean the same thing, or am I wrong? A google search seems to support this.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The dictionary say they are the same, although proselytize is more common.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

O.K. I was only familiar with the noun. Thanks.

Personally, I think it's still more clear to use proselytize, but at least now I know it's acceptable to use proselyte as a verb. Again, thanks.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I didn't know until I looked it up either. I was also only familiar with the noun.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm, that's entirely the wrong attitude. If you think it's wrong, then you should fight for that belief come hell or high water! What does some stupid writer of dictionaries know? Write a Wiki entry to prove the idiot wrong. Then jump all over anyone who uses the word in the wrong way.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, no matter what chemistry they use, Proselyte just doesn't have the same flavor as Proseltize. Besides, it has almost the same amount of calories per gram, its just smaller servings.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Storm, that's entirely the wrong attitude. If you think it's wrong, then you should fight for that belief come hell or high water! What does some stupid writer of dictionaries know? Write a Wiki entry to prove the idiot wrong. Then jump all over anyone who uses the word in the wrong way.

Stephen Colbert fan?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

I'm a lover, not a fighter, man. I promote my words through the power of loveology, not violence.

Hugs, not thugs!

Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I also prefer proselytize, but within the LDS Church proselyte is the traditional way to say it, which of course leaves me just ever so slightly irritated whenever I hear it, which is often.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

I think it's a mistake. As someone whose job once was converting dictionaries and encyclopedias to e-text, trust me, these things happen. I don't believe that proselyte can be a verb.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

"I don't believe that proselyte can be a verb."

It is for most Mormons, and has been for probably well over 100 years. That's why I say that it annoys me, but I can't actually tell them they're all wrong.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:

Stephen Colbert fan?
Hatracker?
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I am really curious as to why Mormons have prefered one over the other.
Silent E
Member # 8840

So am I. You would have to find out how it started, because since then it's only because that's the way they always hear the word (since only a very small percentage of Mormons would ever come across the word, in either form, with anybody else that isn't Mormon).
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot stand proselitize for the same reason I don't like utilize. "Use" is a perfectly acceptable word, as is "proselyte". "ize" is a verbing *twinkle* ending, and it's redundant on words that are already verbs to begin with.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

I think it's a mistake. As someone whose job once was converting dictionaries and encyclopedias to e-text, trust me, these things happen. I don't believe that proselyte can be a verb.
Encarta
quote:
Definition:
Same as proselytize

Wordsmyth
American Heritage
Webster's 1913 edition
Webster's 1828 edition

There's more. Just because you (and I) are more familiar with it as a translation for ger does not mean it lacks other meanings.

Silent E
Member # 8840

No, it's not, at least in this case. "Proselyte", as has been pointed out, is almost universally a noun, and only a noun. Thus, it needs a suffix of some kind to make into a verb (unless you're a Mormon, for example).
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've always understood "proselyte" to be a convert to a religion, a noun. "Proseletize" is a verb, meaning to "to make converts, or proselytes".

IMO, anyway

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.