FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nintendo Wii - 11/19/06 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nintendo Wii - 11/19/06
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! My post got eaten. Check out arstechnica.com (Their Opposable Thumbs gaming journal section), joystiq.com, or kotaku.com.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
ive seen stuff like that being talked about over at ign. just read the Wii luanch thingy over there.

also there are complaints about ppl playing the Wii and their hands getting sweaty and slippery and many ppl have accidently let fly the controller and had it break stuff in the room.

i find that to be oh so funny.

BTW im still getting myself one for xmas.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Nintendo can start marketing WiiGloves to protect against Wiimote projectile issues.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they're supposed to 'strap on' to avoid that kind of thing. But the problem is the strap is attached by such a thin string it has been snapping.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
A Wiiglove would also be good to prevent sweat damage to the remote over time, unless it is completely waterproof. [Wink]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vadon:
Well, they're supposed to 'strap on' to avoid that kind of thing. But the problem is the strap is attached by such a thin string it has been snapping.

That's true, but if you're jabbing hard enough both to make it fly from your hand and snap that string, you're using it wrong. The remote is really sensitive in all three games I've played (Wii Sports, Zelda, and Ultimate Alliance), and there's no reason to be using that much force to ensure your movements are registered.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

A testament to how "into the game" people are getting I suppose.

I mean, those carboard tubes that were leftover when the wrapping paper was gone at Christmas didn't NEED to be swung at my brother so hard, but let's say I was really invested in the moment. [Smile] Besides, after repeated swingings, when they'd break, I end up with nunchucks, which is even better.

I should patent the Wiiglove before Nintendo sells it, it's already catching on!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wii games you'll never see
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh. The tattoo thing was funny. I wouldn't be surprised actually to see some sort of art or drawing game.

Or, Operation the video game. Practice brain surgery at home.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn: check out Trauma Center
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that was histarical. I loved the Mein Kampf one ^^.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Lyrhawn: check out Trauma Center

Gah! I suppose it was inevitable!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Trauma Centre game for the DS, too.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

These people need the Nerf Wii Remote.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and this might also be interesting.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Its looking like many retailers are holding some of their Wii consoles for this friday. Target is openings at 6:00am on friday, you can bet I will be there at 5:00am, I am not getting dogged again, I WILL be flailing Wiimotes all day friday, other shoppers will not stop me!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Target has leftover Wiis for Friday morning?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
And you think getting there at 5 is good enough? Seriously, not going to happen. There will be people at Target by ten pm thursday.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
And you think getting there at 5 is good enough? Seriously, not going to happen. There will be people at Target by ten pm thursday.

Maybe in a bigger city, but at least where I live (~40k people), that wasn't even the case for the launch of the system, so I would doubt there'll be many, if any, instances of that happening.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:

The first round of units were already released, I doubt people will camp out again for round 2.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

People will and do camp for Black Friday, though.
Bokonon
Member # 480

There are some rumors popping up (the source appears to be Amazon's discussion board for the Wii) that Best Buy will have their second shipment in and out for sale on Sunday, to go along with a Sunday advertisement that has yet to be published.

-Bok

beautifulgirl57
Member # 9877

- posted      Profile for beautifulgirl57   Email beautifulgirl57         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin wants to sleep outside the store to wait for his Wii.

I told him he's crazy.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the great Thanksgiving Wii experiment of 2006 was a smashing success... it's really something the whole family can enjoy, whether they like video games or not. Seeing my sister-in-law and mother-in-law attempting to beat the living daylights out of each other in the Boxing game was priiiiiceless. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

You're not kidding, Zeugma. My dad had a very slight interest in video games way back in the day (he used to play Duck Hunt with me sometimes when I was little), but that quickly disappeared, and my mom's never had even a passing interest in games. Now my dad stops in the hallway to watch me play, and my mom has said she'd like to play Wii Sports sometime. They both were also talking to my grandparents about it, which really displayed their interest in my mind since it was a topic of conversation for them.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Everyone's talking about how sore they are from the boxing game this morning. [Smile]

Honestly, it was something to see, people who would never in a million years have wanted to play a video game were claiming the TV to play this thing. I think we've logged about 8 hours on the Wii since we got down here, and Mark and I have only gotten to play it maybe 1 of those. Way cool. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
Everyone's talking about how sore they are from the boxing game this morning. :)

Honestly, it was something to see, people who would never in a million years have wanted to play a video game were claiming the TV to play this thing. I think we've logged about 8 hours on the Wii since we got down here, and Mark and I have only gotten to play it maybe 1 of those. Way cool. :)

This has been EXACTLY my experience. My mom/dad/grandparents, who would have never played videogames before, are playing wii sports and loving it. My dad has decided to get a Wii (for my 6 year old sister he claims, but we all know the truth), and I'm quite amazed.

As a long time gamer myself, I find the Wii to be loads of fun, easily worth the 250$ and 4 hour wait it cost me. It has impressed me like no other gaming system ever (though I'm still worried about breaking the controller, which as already been dropped by various family members twice).

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mathematician:
though I'm still worried about breaking the controller, which as already been dropped by various family members twice.

My brother said the controller could be thrown against a wall and still work. Of course, there's no way we're testing that. [Big Grin]

The last video game my mom ever played was the orginal Super Mario. She had a blast playing tennis with my sister-in-law (who I've never seen even touch a video game until now). My brothers and I are already absorbed in Zelda. (Finally I can keep up with them). The Wii is just too awesome.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I think I'd be more worried about a flying controller hitting my fragile LCD HDTV and wrecking it. [Angst]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, don't get so excited playing Twilight Princess that you start whipping that thing around like real nunchucks. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked one up off craigslist. Now I have to sit and try to code all afternoon with this thing sitting under my desk...
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We have been playing it on the 8ft projection screen. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Without component cables? How does it look in 480i?
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm just planning on playing Twilight Princess on my GameCube, I had no real desire to get a Wii at launch. *shrug* I was originally planning on it, back when Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was a launch title, but that got pushed back.

I still plan on getting one, though--most likely the day Metroid Prime 3 comes out. ^_^

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Without component cables? How does it look in 480i?

Like a video game. Certainly not beautiful, like the 360 stuff on your TV. But we were playing Super Monkey Ball, so it looked like cartoon monkeys, only really big. [Wink] Didn't look bad at all.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

You guys have no idea how jealous I am, I know my dad who used to love video games will see the Wii and go nuts all over again.

GAH! [Frown]

raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Posted on another forum earlier this morning.
quote:
Stayed up all night (8pm-7am) in line to get a Wii. Totally worked.
Camped out with my brother, and it was at a local store. I also knew a manager of a somewhat close store, and he told me I could get there and get some. So, my other brother that made it late (4am) headed to the other store and was first in line there. It was in a mall. And I promptly sent my other friend that was looking for a wii over there as well. They both scored wiis tonight.

I wish the best of luck to everyone trying to get a wii. I'm extremely excited now that I have one, but I have to go to sleep now that I've been up almost 24 hours.

Twinky: it looks ok, but I know with component cables it will look much better. Then again, I hate interlacing, and I know when DVDs aren't properly interlaced and deinterlaced.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wiis are selling for fairly reasonable prices on ebay.

Looks like you can get one for around $300 on ebay, but the prices for Wiimotes nad other stuff is ridiculous, once you get everything you need you're in the $500 range.

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
anyway know if smash bros brawl has been given a release date yet?
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

No release date beyond 2007.

-Bok

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't owned a game console since SNES. And even then, after the first year or so it came out, I lost interest. FF3 and Zelda: Link to the Past were really the last games I bought, and that was ages ago - probably back in 1994 or so.

The Playstations never interested me, nor did XBox, though I'd play Halo at a friend's house from time to time - and God of War at my sister's house. I marveled at all the new Final Fantasy games, but never felt compelled to buy any of them.

I was a PC gamer, and even then not much of one. C&C, to Starcraft, to Vampire: Redemption, to Warcraft 3, to WoW, to Vampire Bloodlines - and that was it.

That said - I want a Wii.

Something about it just makes me want to play it. Everything I've seen about the system just screams out "fun" to me. I'll probably get one next spring, when prices drop a bit and there are a few more games available.

I can't believe I'm going to be buying another console after more than a decade. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

I was actually the same way, FlyingCow. I actually had both an Xbox and a Gamecube, but I had no intentions of buying any more consoles - I didn't play enough of either of them to justify my purchases of them, let alone to make me think about buying something next-gen. All the same, I have a Wii sitting in my room, and it's so much freaking fun.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I finally got one yesterday! Target turned us away and we put all our chips in at EB Games at the mall. There were 3 dudes in line already since 5:00am though only one of them was buying so Tiffany and I hung out there, (It was 8:30am). The store manager got there an hour before doors and said nothing to us basically which we took as a good sign as we figured if they had none he would tell us in advance. Doors open and we were giggly. Finally the first in line sauntered up to the manager and gave him a sort of, "you know what I want." schtick. The manager said, "uh...what do you want?"

They had no Wii's but they were expecting the last truck shipment of the week that day. We were told the UPS guy could come from 10:00am-5:00pm. Tiffany and I thought, well shoot he could come at any time lets stay an hour or two. I was determined to leave here there until the shipment came while I went to work, turns out Tiffany had other ideas so we both stayed there. About 25 people were in line waiting for that shipment.

At 2:30pm some fed ex guys rolled up and delivered 2 boxes. One box had 3 Wiis, the other had some games. Some guy in line offered to buy mine off me and I said I'd accept $600. He seriously considered my offer but declined, which made me happier anyway I just wanted to get home.

What am I doing this morning? Guess. Typing up a history paper that was due yesterday but did not get completed as I spent so much time in that line! Why am I wasting time writing this post?! [Wink]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Congrats BlackBlade! Glad to hear you got one!

I traded in our PS2 for Zelda a few days ago, and since then we've logged an unheard-of 3 hours on it!! I love the puzzles, and while it's way more complicated than the other two Wii games we've got, the Wiimote helps a lot. As long as the game doesn't suddenly become a lot harder and less puzzle-y, this may well be the first video game I sit down and play for more than a few days since.... Mario 64, I think. [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have paid you $60 for your PS2. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Congrats BlackBlade! Glad to hear you got one!

I traded in our PS2 for Zelda a few days ago, and since then we've logged an unheard-of 3 hours on it!! I love the puzzles, and while it's way more complicated than the other two Wii games we've got, the Wiimote helps a lot. As long as the game doesn't suddenly become a lot harder and less puzzle-y, this may well be the first video game I sit down and play for more than a few days since.... Mario 64, I think. [Smile]

Where are you at? I had to replay all the way through the forest temple as I cannot update my Wii and give it SD memory card saving capabilities. I like the puzzles alot to, they are alot of fun. I really like that they throw you into things it feels like I am just getting so many items and special abilities so fast.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Sure Tom, but would you also have given me a subscription to Nintendo Power magazine? [Wink]

BB, I'm not sure if I'm in a forest temple or not, I just finished hearing the girl at the top of the tower explain how the twilight world came to be. I think Zelda drains the batteries in the Wiimote pretty quick, with the Nunchuk and all the rumbling, so I had to stop playing early last night. [Smile]

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I bought Zelda. I don't have a Wii.

Around 8:30am tomorrow I should be posting about how I just got home with my Wii...if everything goes according to plan.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Sure Tom, but would you also have given me a subscription to Nintendo Power magazine? [Wink]

BB, I'm not sure if I'm in a forest temple or not, I just finished hearing the girl at the top of the tower explain how the twilight world came to be. I think Zelda drains the batteries in the Wiimote pretty quick, with the Nunchuk and all the rumbling, so I had to stop playing early last night. [Smile]

Oh then you are quite close to the forest temple. Did you enjoy the wolf segment?
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Oh yeah, definitely, though it freaks me out that I can't seem to attack in the water, or without jumping in places where I'd rather not jump. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.