FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What I want for the holidays: Gifts should be being picked out right now. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What I want for the holidays: Gifts should be being picked out right now.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors and Collections

Pink, green, yellow. I mostly wear black, gray, and pink. I think it would be very hard to get me clothes, though I love scarves and mittens and socks. And slippers. I have more jewelry than I'll ever wear.

I like coffee mugs with turkeys on them (don't ask).

allergies, lists of interests

I'd prefer not to get anything edible (or potable). I'm allergic to cats and wool (and mold, but that doesn't seem like it will be a problem). I love cross stitch and knitting. I've been cross stitching for years, but I'm a beginning knitter. I like flowers and gardening, books, baskets, Tehillim (psalms), kitchen gadgets, and I plan to learn machine sewing this year.

Do you like receiving homemade gifts?

Yes.

What do you think of the ever popular "I'd like something from your town" idea?

It's nice, but not necessary.

If you've done the exchange before did you love the experience.

Sure did.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors
Jade green or black

Collections
Jade pendants, books, sake and tea sets.

Allergies
Vegetables. Not really, but I hate them!

Interests
Anything about Asian culture. I love to read when my 2 year old lets me.

Yes, I love that.

If you've done the exchange before did you love the experience?
It's the 1st time I've done it.

Honestly, I tend to do nothing special for myself because I tend to feel guilty about it. Like I should spend any extra on my little girl or the Hubby so anything done for me special is going to be a treat.

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite Colors: Green, Blue, Orange

Allergies: None. No coffee or tea or alcohol, please.

Interests:

Anything geeky, media related, software related, or gaming related.

Do you like homemade gifts:

Yes.

Exchange before?

3 years ago. was cool. I got a monkey and a shark head from Ophelia, which I still have.

I am a huge geek, so really, anything geeky would be cool. However, something that represents you yourself, I would enjoy the most- I enjoy being reminded of friends and events. [Smile]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
*gets so happy about this whole exchange thing she has to just smile stupidly to herself... thinks about how she digs hatrack even more now...*
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I had such a great time with this exchange last year, especially when I got Breyer's gifts. The highlight being a hand-dyed silk scarf. I love it so much.

Here's a few things my gifter might want to keep in mind:

Allergies: Pretty much any lotions or perfumes. Best to stay away from those.

Likes: Sci fi. Books. Movies (not a big fan of comedy). Local stuff!

Dislikes: I do not really care for white or dark chocolate and nuts don't go over well either.

A little bit about myself: I have two chihuahuas, work in the medical field, read a lot, and enjoy cooking (although I do not eat red meat or most seafood). I love eating out and do drink alcohol (usually sweet stuff). I wish I had a green thumb but am notorious for killing plants. I like to play tennis. I am in a long-term relationship (met my hunny on Hatrack) and do not have children.

Hope this help. I know how difficult it can be to buy a gift for someone you have never met.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors: green (in general), black (to wear) and longhorn orange. I like most colors though. My house is mostly dark red, mustard, and brown.

Collections: My kitchen is decorated in chickens. I especially like vintage chicken stuff. I have lots of silly socks (but not toe socks). I also have a collection of dust bunnies but I would prefer to not have any more of those.

Allergies: Poison oak so please don't rub my present in that. [Smile] I don't have any dietary allergies but I am a picky eater. I especially don't like mushrooms or peppers of any kind.

List of likes/ dislikes: I love reading, especially mysteries or young adult novels and especially while in a bubble bath. My favorite scent is sandalwood. My favorite flavor is chocolate mint and I love coffee, chocolate, and dried fruit (not all together). I love to cook and I love cooking/baking gadgets. I am teaching myself to sew but I can't think of anything someone could get me for that so be creative there. I love PC games (like The Sims and Morrowind) and watching movies (any genre but especially live-action classic kids movies and anything with girls who kick butt). I listen to contemporary Christian music but I don't own any CDs no nothing would be a duplicate. I also love playing board games of all kinds and school supplies, especially colored pens, highlighters, and sticky notes. I like necklaces but not earrings or bracelets. I am not into sports of any kind.

Homemade gifts: I would love some homemade gifts especially after reading about all the crafters here.

"I'd like something from your town": I think this is great idea as long as it is not a cheesy souvenir key chain bottle opener or something.

I have never done the exchange before but I am looking forward to it this year!

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite color(s): certain shades of violet/purple

Allergies/sensitivities/dislikes: no allergies, not a drinker/smoker

Interests: History, foreign cultures, non-English languages, technology, etc

Do you like receiving homemade gifts? Sure

What do you think of the ever popular "I'd like something from your town" idea? Love that idea.

I've never done this before, so...

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yes, I do like homemade gifts! Something from your town is AWESOME.

Likes: Animals, animals, animals. Especially dogs, horses, and camelids, but any animal will do!

Allergies: None, other than amoxicillin!

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
If I get eros I know what I'm getting. [Big Grin]

If you get me anything MANGO RELATED I am mailing it back to your head. ^_^
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors: I like all colors, but I'm especially drawn to pinks, purples, blues (but not navy blue so much), and greens. Lately I've found myself buying brown clothes a lot, too.

Collections: I don't exactly collect these, but I am inordinately drawn to writing-related things - e.g. good pens (especially in fun colors), blank books for journaling/sketching (though I rarely journal and never sketch), stationery (though I don't really send letters), etc. I don't know why I like these things so much when I don't really use them, other than the pens, but there it is.

Allergies: None, but I really dislike mushrooms and raw tomatoes. EDIT: I just remembered that I also dislike licorice.

Interests: Artsy-craftsy things - I crochet and cross-stitch, but mainly I've been on a knitting kick for the past year or so. I also like travel-stuff, horses (if breyer doesn't like Noemon's pony, I'll take it!), performing arts-related stuff (music, theatre, and dance), history, and, of course, books.

Homemade gifts? Awesome, but I'm cool with non-homemade things too.

Local gifts? Again, awesome, but not necessary.

This is my first time participating in this, but I'm sure I'll love it. [Smile]

EDIT: Please don't by any means feel that you have to give me something I mentioned here - I also like surprises!

[ November 14, 2006, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Nell Gwyn ]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:

Why would I get you a mango? A papaya maybe (oh, yeah, everyone, I DON'T LIKE PAPAYA.)

But I'm hurt. I actually had something nice that you would like in mind. *sniffs*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite color(s): My favourite colour is green, preferably shades of forest. I like most earth tones, but look ridiculous in anything orange. I like reds and blues as well, deep or vibrant colours. Less a fan of the greys and grey-toned colours.

Collections: I collect books in or about Latin as well as books about the Middle Ages. And fantasy in general. I suggest some sneaking, though, if you get heart-set on that, because I already have quite a few. I also collect scented oils and candles. And earrings.

Allergies/sensitivities/dislikes: I'm actually pretty flexible. I'm not allergic to anything I know of, and generally not sensitive either. I'm not a fan of mushrooms or fish, though I doubt that's an issue.

Interests: Cooking, especially regional or ethnic foods. Knitting and crochet. Reading. Tea. Gregorian chant. Folk/Celtic music. Things with vine patterns are a fairly sure hit. I really hate anything horror-related, movies, books, whatever.

Do you like receiving homemade gifts? I don't see any reason why I shouldn't.

What do you think of the ever popular "I'd like something from your town" idea? It sounds fun to me.

If you've done the exchange before did you love the experience? I haven't done it before, so be merciful to me if I get confused.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors
The only colors that I don't particularly like are
the brighter greens and oranges. Black goes with just about everything. But as long as you don't go with the brighter greens and oranges, you're cool.

Collections
Don't get me Pez dispensers! I collect them and have hundreds and hundreds. So chances are I've already got the one you've picked out for me. I do collect Matrushkas (Russian wooden nesting dolls), too. But don't knock yourself out over that!

Homemade gifts
Definitely cool! But no food, homemade or otherwise. I am a kosher-observant Jew, so there is a good chance that I wouldn't be able to have any food you send. And besides, I'm working on a weight-reduction project, so even if they were totally kosher, the cookies and candies wouldn't benefit me.

Something from your town
Sure -- if you are from an exotic locale where the local craftsfolk are famous for their cunning work. But I don't particularly love "Welcome to Springfield" souvenir spoons.

Likes, Dislikes, Allergies
I particularly don't like inspirational plaques, Christian-themed gifts, and hip-hop rap music. Please, no live animals (pets or livestock). They tend not to ship well.

I do like oily bath treats, especially natural-smelling ones, cold weather attire (scarves, gloves, shawls, afghans), and artistic and creative things. If you play in a band, I'd love a CD of your stuff! If you are handy with the knitting needles, a sample of your work would also be great. If there is something that you have a passion for, something that you think is worth sharing, introduce me to it -- it will serve to help me to know you better and might just introduce me to something that I never knew I loved.

No gift-related allergies to worry about (I mean, you weren't planning to give me Sulfa antibiotics or anchovies, now, were you?)

Last year my son and I did this and the whole thing was a lot of fun. We played hide-the-lizard with a rubber lizard that the Ketchup Princess gave to Son of Shvester, for months!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And she picked it out all herself. [Smile]

Oh, I meant to mention that-- I mentioned it to breyerchic, but we do let Emma pick out/create her own gifts. So if you would rather not get something chosen by a toddler, please e-mail breyerchic to let her know that you don't want Ketchup Princess for your secret gifter.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
No gift-related allergies to worry about (I mean, you weren't planning to give me Sulfa antibiotics or anchovies, now, were you?)

Well not anymore!

::wonders if jar of sulfa antibiotic anchovy topping is returnable::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Noemon, more for you, then!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This will be my 4th Hatrack gift exchange. [Smile] I was in the original pool, which doesn't seem like that long ago. I'll tell you what I've received in the past and also tell you that I adored each one of these things:

A DVD of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" from Speed

A CD of Yo-yo Ma and Bobby McFerrin from Rav

A book about "Sense and SEnsibility" the movie with the script and Emma Thompson's diary along with bath bubbles and salts from katharina

All fantastic. I'm wildly easy to please and love homemade, homegrown, hometown, whatever. I love food, have no allergies and here is my amazon wish list, just to give you an idea of my interests and obsessions.

I am a self-proclaimed and shameless fangirl. Most of my fandoms are evident in my Livejournal userpics. Just to give you a brief idea... [Wink] But, the gift need have absolutely nothing to do with anything I've mentioned. I'm sure I'll love it.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors: Green, Red, Black, but really anything pretty.

Interests: Crochet, yarn, books (especially history or science fiction), World War II, Congress, Joss Whedon, old or out of print books, Christian history, pretty things

Yes!

What do you think of the ever popular "I'd like something from your town" idea? Nice, but not necessary

[ November 17, 2006, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:

Why would I get you a mango? A papaya maybe (oh, yeah, everyone, I DON'T LIKE PAPAYA.)

But I'm hurt. I actually had something nice that you would like in mind. *sniffs*

Oh, crap, was it papaya? My memory is terrible. [Frown]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like all colours and don't really collect anything (ok, that's a lie - I collect yarn [Smile] ).

I’m allergic to guinea pigs. Don’t send me a guinea pig.

Also, Australian customs will get upset at you if you try to send any home-made food, fruit, seeds, soil, nuts, illegal drugs or smuggled wildlife.

Postage expense wise, it may be better to go smaller and lighter. International air post for bulky packages can be exorbitant. International air post for small things is not. (My last package of yarn from the States was US $1.95 postage. Just sayin’.)

Do you like receiving homemade gifts? Love it.

What do you think of the ever popular "I'd like something from your town" idea? Love it again. Two years ago Kat sent me great stuff from Texas which I still have and use (I haven’t yet worn the badge. But it is waiting for a special occasion… oh yes, it is waiting!).

If you've done the exchange before did you love the experience? I’ve done it for two years and it was great both times.

Edit: I'll add some more interests, to make a bit more helpful.

I'm 24 and married, but no kids yet. I'm a lawyer, but am quitting work in 3 weeks to (hopefully) start a PhD in international law. I'm a pretty good cook, and love cooking - I have a guilty love for 'traditional' American cooking (an example: my last cookbook purchase was the Little House cookbook) but I cook other stuff too. I love to read anything and everything. I knit. I don't spin yet but I want to learn.

But mostly, I'd like a surprise. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors: Pink&Blue, just blue, lilac

Interests: I like things that I find very useful and things that make me laugh. I like pretty much anything that is bright and shiny and can make a simple creature like me happy.

I love those because it shows that people care enough to do something with their bare hands instead of just swiping their cards. Although swiping is not bad either. =3

What do you think of the ever popular "I'd like something from your town" idea? It's ok, but I'd rather have something that makes me jump for joy. I can get you some souveneirs from San Diego, though!

EDIT: I have no allergies that I know of and I ADORE candy. On my free time I am a deadly computer virus, the Dastardly Spictacular and a celebrity pharmicist.

[ November 20, 2006, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, I am obsessed with Aqua Teen Hunger Force, especially any and all aliens involved.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I like greens and earth tones. I am a hippie (but no patchouli please!) I love love love chocolate ( dark, with no stuff in it is preferred), coffee and tea. I love home made things. I live in the Seattle area. I prefer things I can use on a daily basis to tchotchkes.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite color(s):
Greens, purples, earthtones.

Allergies/sensitivities:
None known.

Interests:
Hiking, bicycling, reading, writing, music of all types, peace and social justice.

Do you like receiving homemade gifts? Absolutely.

Such a cool idea -- I really liked the idea for a homemade book of pictures of places and people where you live.

My son and I take turns with the nifty booties my wonderful gift-giver made me last year to go with a fun book and a real-live handwritten letter. Toasty toes, fun books, and real letters are awesome things!

Some notes as regards my son (Tate) below: We stay at a "g" or "pg" rating for books, movies, and games. Also, I do limit the intake of sugary sweets, so candy is not a good idea. [Smile] If you have a fun math skills game idea . . . oops, better not go there . . . he'd never forgive me. [Big Grin]

[ November 10, 2006, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tate
Member # 9201

- posted      Profile for Tate           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom remembered she got me my own screen name last year for my 12th birthday, and she's letting me play the gift exchange this year (with a little help).

Favorite Colors:
Red, blue (and some of that skateboarder hot pink. [Cool] )

Allergies/Sensitivities:
Only to things like bruises and broken arms. (Mom says I am allergic to dust mites. Have you ever seen a magnified picture of them? They're cool!)

Favorite Activities:
Baseball. Skateboarding. Reading. Swimming. Lego-building. Just being outside. A lot.

Do I Like Homemade Gifts?
Yeah!

P.S. I like to go by "Bob".

P.P.S. Mom says more important stuff about my gift is above in her post. Her name is Shan.

[ November 10, 2006, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Tate ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors - Black to wear, dark blue for my home.

Collections - Jewelry boxes, music, books

Allergies - No allergies, though strong smelling things will bother my husband

Interests - Reading, writing, drawing, computer arting, screwing around on message boards, PC gaming, movies, music. I have a husband and a nine year old daughter. My husband and I like to game, cook, talk and watch movies together and will occasionally get into a home improvement project together. My daughter and I enjoy taking walks, shopping, and reading together.

I love homemade gifts and totally dig the 'something from your hometown' idea.

I'm new to the exchange.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack, a deadline! OK, here's my post:

Favorite colors -- all the colors are good

Collections -- don't get me any comics, it'd have to be pretty obscure for me not to've seen it already... I do farming for a living, so anything plant-related probably isn't a good idea unless you've got a good background in gardening/farming...

Interests -- music: folk, rock, roots/blues (BUT: no hiphop, rap, punk, opera, new age, jazz, country). I'm pretty musically naive, chances are extremely good that I've never heard any of your favorite music from the last 20 years... other interests: French, non-RPG games, dark chocolate, astronomy, cool-looking art shirts.

Allergies -- lilac bushes; that's it.

Do you like receiving homemade gifts? -- Yep! I'm always impressed by them.

What do you think of the ever popular "I'd like something from your town" idea? -- If it's food, probably, if it's a virus, probably not.

If you've done the exchange before did you love the experience -- Yeah! I love the randomness and getting-to-know-the-gifter-and-giftee aspects of this... this is the 4th time I'm doing this, it's all been good, Leonide and Strider gave me a Tolkien audiobook, xnera gave me a Monty Python calendar (which turned out to be both fun AND an excellent art reference), kojabu gave me chocolate artbars... I'm very easy to please, throw random cool stuff at me and you can't go wrong!

Oh yeah: I need a new fedora, since someone stole mine... [No No]

[edit to add: the address for me that breyerchic has is actually for my brother's family in NJ, where I'll be for Xmas... so whoever my gifter is: don't worry when you mail the present if I don't post a "got it!" note right away.]

[ November 15, 2006, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Plaid, would a trilby do? [Wink]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no gift preferences, other than my sincere hope that it be legal and PG-rated. (I don't know you people well enough to spring for the 13.)

Edit:
I'm a 21 year old Female college student in VA.

[ November 12, 2006, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Hank ]

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Hank, since you have so few posts, could you tell us more about yourself. Most people don't know your gender, your age, or anything. Be informative. Thanks.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Plaid, would a trilby do? [Wink]

Laughing at me! Bastard person!!

[Cry]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite color: Purple (though I love all the "cool" colors... purple, green, blue, etc...)

Collections: Pigs (yeah, I'm a straaaange little Jewish girl), anything music (especially broadway, but also classical and opera are big hits) related.

I love homemade gifts, I love things unique to "hometowns," etc. I'm really very flexible! [Smile] I'm not allergic to anything that I know of.

P.S. In case anyone was unsure, I'm female, and a 20-year-old college student.

(edit: Inspired by Leonide's post, I would like to add that I also like all things Disney!)

[ November 11, 2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors
any shade of green except puke, lime, flourescent, and neon. [Smile] light blues and pinks

Collections
i collect figurines of animals, although in my current living situation i haven't been able to display them -- i have about fifty or so. If you see a cool animal figurine (smaller ones) that you think are really cool, pass them along! They don't have to be realistic, either. i also love all things Disney.

Homemade gifts
uh, duh. that would be awesome.

Something from your town
yeah, sure. but i'd prefer something more personal, unless you really love your town in which case it is personal!

Likes, Dislikes, Allergies
i don't really like sweets or candies or chocolate. i'll eat them, but i'm not a fiend and most likely i'd eat a few and throw the rest away and i would feel SO BAD. No allergies that i know of. I really like foresty/faerie things, and things with suns/moons/stars on them, that are darker blues and yellows. That's sort of my mixed theme of bedroom decoration right now. Anyhow, that's just to give a wider variety of things to look at, NOT a request. I have loved every gift i've gotten from the exchange, and none of them were any of these things [Smile] The first year Dan_Raven sent Strider and I a story he wrote along with ingredients to make chili (yum), the next year Derrell sent gift cards to PetCo or Petsmart (very handy!) and the next we got dan again and Sasha sent us some stuff and we got another great Dan_Raven original story! So there.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors
Green, blue, purple, gray, black.

Collections
Books and yarn, mostly.

Allergies
None.

Interests
Anything Joss Whedon has had anything to do with in any medium, similar for Neil Gaiman and Charles de Lint, rock music, chocolate, knitting, spinning, sparkly stuff like beads and glass.

Yes, very much. Locally-produced stuff from the giver's area is always good too.

I did it last year and quite enjoyed it.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
yep.

how interesting is your town? kidding - mostly I just love getting mail. it really doesn't matter what I get. T_Smith sent me a sock once...

totally.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Favourite colours: Anything, really. I am a fan of orange and yellow. I also like green and brown a lot.

Homemade and hometown gifts: Awesome. I love travelling and learning about other places.

Collections: The only things I seem to collect are dust and dirty dishes, but I have quite enough of both right now, so please don't send me any more.

Interests/About Me: I am a 24 year old Canadian, just finished university studies in Arctic archaeology, and currently living in BC. I am also a dancer, an actor, and a musician. I love listening to music I don't know yet. I mostly listen to folk, rock, old popular music (eg. Bing Crosby) and musicals, but I really like pretty much anything except club-type dance music. I love to read, especially children's fantasy books. I love all movies except horror movies. I love Irish and Celtic everything, as well as Inuit and other aboriginal folklore and cultures. I also love dark chocolate. Really, I tend to love most things, so I'm sure whatever I receive will be neat. Don't feel like you need to use something from this list.

I have not done the Hatrack exchange before.

Restrictions/Allergies: I am a vegan, so my only restriction is no animal products, please. This includes things like milk products or other dairy, eggs, gelatin, leather, wool, beeswax candles, most soaps, etc.

My only allergy is penicillin, but I quite dislike walnuts, pineapples and mushrooms, so you can pretend I'm allergic to all those as well if you like.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
I like everything [Smile]

And everyone, too. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite color: Blue

Collections: none

Restrictions/Allergies: I do not eat red meat. I have no allergies.

Interests/About Me: I like animals (I have two small dogs). I like to play computer/PS2 games and I generally read sci-fi and fantasy (my favorite being George R.R. Martin) but I keep my options open to many types of fiction. I like candy and chocolate (especially white but not dark). I like to play tennis and hockey (my favorite team are the Pittsburgh Penguins). My girlfriend, Niki and I like to go out to eat a lot, go to movies and enjoy dancing. I do consume alcohol, but I usually stay away from wines.

Previous Participation: This is my second year in the exchange.

Local Stuff: Sounds cool.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors I'm a fan of jewel tones and bright (not to be confused with neon) colors. Blue, pink, yellow, green, red, purple, black, and silver are all beautiful.

Collections I collect snowflake ornaments, books and fabric. I'm a fabric snob, so it's probably better not to go in that direction [Smile]

Allergies Most scents, penicillin and poison ivy (probably not applicable here, but just in case). No coffee, tea or alcohol.

Interests I am a Whedonite! I've been wanting to check out one of his comics, but haven't yet. My Amazon wish list will give you a good idea of my interests. I adore quilting and I like the concept of cooking, but I don't have much time for it anymore. I'm a huge fan of chocolate. I like things that will be used, more than things that are just pretty to look at.

Homemade gifts? Fabulous!

"I'd like something from your town"? Since that would be a college t-shirt from my town, I prefer something more personal unless you're from a very unique place.

Previous Participation I've participated for the past two years. I've loved both my gifts and I use them on a regular basis. Neither of them were on my list, but they were both perfect! I've received a set of pink metal measuring spoons and a quilting book.

[ November 13, 2006, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautifulgirl57
Member # 9877

- posted      Profile for beautifulgirl57   Email beautifulgirl57         Edit/Delete Post 
Colours: Anything!! I love all colors, except maybe obnoxiosly neon ones. Fav.s are blue, black, brown, and pink.

Collections: None, really.

Allergies: None.

Dislikes: Black licorice, mushrooms, and eggs. Random, I know. I also am not a big fan of modern art.

Home-made gifts ROCK!

Interests: Music (alternative! esp Red Hot Chili Peppers, Death Cab for Cutie, Ben Folds, Switchfoot, The Fray, Goo Goo Dolls, etc), sketching (mostly portraits), my cute chubby iPod 4th generation, photography (I LOVE black&white photos), chocolate (not dark though), starbucks, makeup, books (sci-fi rules), piano&guitar&singing, movies (I enjoy lots of movies, esp. ones with well thought out plots) and lots of other stuff! I want to major in graphic art. I'm the oldest of 10 children, 15 years old.

Something from Your Town: Sure. Just not tacky, please. I don't really need a shotglass. [Smile]

Previous Participation: Nope! And I know this user looks like a complete newbie, but actually I've been on Hatrack for a while and I just forgot my password. But this looks like a lot of fun! [Big Grin]

[ November 13, 2006, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: beautifulgirl57 ]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

plaid, people who need new fedoras should post their hat size in case someone happens to have an awesome thrift store nearby that often has nice hats.

Just sayin'. [Wink]

Oh, and if anyone wants to give us something useful, it has come to my attention that we could use some extra pillowcases.

tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything homemade and unique. Be creative. I won't ask for anything, but will welcome anything that says it's what YOU think is cool [Smile]
Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors and Collections are great, so are allergies, lists of interests, and answers to my questions below.

No real favorite colors. I like to knit and I collect dragons. No allergies, but I'm LDS, so no alcohol, coffee or tea.

Absolutely!

I like it very much. I think one of the most exciting things about this whole hatrack experience (and I suppose the larger internet experience) is to be exposed to new books, music, foods, and ideas.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I love homemade gifts, and stuff from your town is very cool. I collect coins I think are interesting, but have no real ambition for collecting anything.

Favorite colors: Chocolate brown, green, blue, orange.

Dislikes: Very sweet chocolate, anything coconut flavored or scented. Purple.

No allergies.

Stuff I like: I just reacently got into comic books, and comic art. I love big fluffy scarves in the winter. I'm just beginning to cook Asian food, and am in love with everything asian. Firefly. I read mostly fantasy, but I like some sci-fi and historical fiction, if it's good.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
plaid, people who need new fedoras should post their hat size in case someone happens to have an awesome thrift store nearby that often has nice hats.

I feel like everyone could use a new fedora...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite colors: blue and green

Allergies: none

Interests: Anything Science Fiction (books, movies, magazines, toys, posters, etc)

Homemade gifts: Sounds great!

Something from my town: Nothing exiting...actually, I can't think of anything at all...

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a new fabric addiction. Cool fabric would also be appreciated. I had to leave the fabric store tonight before I blew all our bill money.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix
Member # 8089

- posted      Profile for Phoenix   Email Phoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, KarlEd told me that he signed me up for this, so i am posting what kind of things I like. [Smile] My favorite color is red, and I too like dragons and most anything fantasy. I would like something from someones home town, for it is a neat thing to get something from a different place that u wouldn't be able to get from your own town. I am picky about foods, so that should be left out as an option. Home made things r fun as well, so I would enjoy that.

Well, that about sums it up. KarlEd told me about last years exchange and it sounded really neat. Can't wait to see who I get to send a gift to. [Big Grin] See ya for now!

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
I have a new fabric addiction. Cool fabric would also be appreciated. I had to leave the fabric store tonight before I blew all our bill money.

Oh, yes, I completely agree. Fabric and craft stores are dangerous places.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit to provide brief biographical description as some have above: I'm a 21-year-old journalist living in Washington, D.C.

Favorite colors and Collections are great, so are allergies, lists of interests

- Colors: Red, black, white, pink, espresso/chocolate brown.
- Interests: current events, politics, reading, Battlestar Galactica, my cat
- Allergies: none

- Sure, why not.

- As above, okay but not necessary.

- I have done it before and I enjoyed it.

That said, best bet for me is probably a book...I love Hatrack's recommendations for stuff I haven't read/seen before. On SciFi/Fantasy I've covered GRRM, OSC, Jordan, and Terry Pratchett...I'd be really open to new authors and/or novelists.

[ November 14, 2006, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.