FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me with my high school crush. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help me with my high school crush.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the title explains it all pretty much. This girl is a good friend of mine, and I'm starting to have "more-than-friend" feelings for her. I really want to just get it all out in the open, but I'm afraid it will ruin the friendship. I know this is pretty much the story of every high school crush, but I'm still having a hard time with it. People always comment how we would make a good couple and things like that. I never took those comments seriously until recently, when another boy she was in a relationship with broke it off becasue he felt that she and I were "The best friends fromthe movies that realize they love eachother". My concern is that she probably has never taken these comments seriously either.

I know this is all immature, but I just don't know what to do. Risk making things awkward between us, or play it safe and always wonder if there could have been something? Any suggestions?

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell her you love her, you want and desire her and you want to make babies with her.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel so immature when I read this back to myself. It almost embarrases me.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Is that for real Alt? I mean, I'm a High School Senior, I'm hardly thinking aobut children right now, Haha. I think I get the point thoguh.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ignore Alt. Say something like "I'm beginning to think everyone who says we'd be great together is right, how about we give it a shot?" Make sure you smile and make eye contact when you say it. Otherwise it will come off as way too flip. You want it to sound a little teasing, but like you mean it.

Worst she can say is no. If she does, back off and give it a little space before dropping right backinto the close friendship, or she'll freak out worrying about your intentions.

Good luck!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Not immature at all -- talk to her. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If she's feeling the same way you are, she is probably waiting for you to say so. Is she the one who told you what her boyfriend said when he broke up w/ her? If so, it may have been an invitation for you to pursue the thought.

Then again, maybe she was just telling her best friend what happened. Hard to say. I wouldn't worry about ruining the friendship. The fact that you're feeling the way you are means that the dynamics of the friendship won't stay the same, anyway. If she's a quality friend, then even if she doesn't feel the same way and your friendship is somehow different, she will still be a friend.

Relationships evolve with time. Go with the flow. Keep us posted, Little_Doctor!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt is completely right. Just be a tad more subtle.
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on. I was just kidding.

You should listen to ElJay.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and great technique tips from ElJay!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up dating the person that you're describing for about 5 years. We're still friends, had a great relationship, just grew apart after a few years in college... The great times we had never would have happened if one of us hadn't spoken up.

As long as you don't, well, tell her you love her, you want and desire her and you want to make babies with her... ; ) you should be good. Just be honest - tell her that you really enjoy her company and that you're starting to feel a little bit like maybe people are right (about the whole realize that you dig each other a little more than just as friends). If you guys talk and hang out all the time, you can probably do it easily? Just don't get all mushy and serious, maybe, and just talk about it as an option.

What do I know, though...

edit: whoa! a lot happens while you're typing!!

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Oh a few more details I forgot to mention that are stressing me out:

1. Our families are close friends, and we see eachother at BBQ's and other things like that. Our parents always joke that we'll get married one day.

2. I work for her dad. He's a veterinarian and I'm one of his assistants.

I feel like a relationship between us could cause so many awkward situations. It almost convinces me it's not worth it.

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, by your words, that you feel like she's worth it. Don't talk yourself out of it. [Smile]
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like her than the awkward situations won't really matter, well not as much hopefully. Just ask her out, the worst she can really do is say no and make fun of you with her friends, could be worst. Best case senario she says yes, you go out and all that happily ever after stuff that HS relationships seem to be.

But the drawback is your a High School senior, if you both go off to college in the fall at seperate schools stats say it won't last long after? But you'll never know till you try.

Good luck if you decide to ask her out! [Big Grin]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
How much physical contact is in your friendship? While hanging out, do you ever put your arm around her, lock elbows, do you hug goodbye? Do you ever flirt playfully? How does she respond when you compliment her looks?

The answers to these might be a good way to gage her interest, or lack thereof.

Though depending on the tone of voice, her mentioning you two as "the best friends from the movies that realize they love each other" could be a very good sign.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

quote:
While hanging out, do you ever put your arm around her, lock elbows, do you hug goodbye? Do you ever flirt playfully? How does she respond when you compliment her looks?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, I guess she's happy when I compliment her, at least I hope so. She compliments the way I dress/look as well. She took me shopping this past weekend, so I already know she likes the way I dress, she picked everything out. Hehe
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Little_Doctor. Letting people know you like them is one of the hardest things to do.

My only advice is to do it sooner rather than later. As you said, you're a senior, and even worse than her saying no would be that you wait but she says yes and then you're left with very little time to actually be together. Or at least, in my experience that isn't very fun, though you might be better at long distance relationships than I was.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Just go for it LD. I told a best friend once that I liked her as more than a friend. We never ended up dating, due to some personality conflicts (we're great best friends, but would NEVER have worked as a couple), but our friendship never really suffered for it.

Just say you have feelings and ask how she feels. If it doesn't work out, and you guys are tight, that won't suffer. Let us know how it goes.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Pursue this. If you don't, you'll always regret it. Probably. Life is too short to live with regrets.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
Yes, yes, yes, yes, I guess she's happy when I compliment her, at least I hope so. She compliments the way I dress/look as well. She took me shopping this past weekend, so I already know she likes the way I dress, she picked everything out. Hehe

That is SO cute.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, dude, it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

I'd either go the direct route, like ElJay suggests, or to simply escalate the flirting a few notches, and make a point to do couple like things with her often until the inevitable hand holding and goodnight kissing starts.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to sound like a greek chorus, but Eljay has a good idea. I did just that...

...and it was horrible.

But I am still glad I tried it, and because of that I was a lot more confident when I started dating Jenni. I made sure right from the start that she knew I didn't want to be "just" friends. [Smile]

I married her, so it all worked out for the best. [Smile]

Seriously, take a chance. If she says no it will hurt more in the short term, but less overall than if you try to work yourself in slowly with her.

(Wow...that sounded dirty even to me, and I KNOW I didn't mean it that way. [Wink] )

Taking your time places you at risk of losing her even if she cares for you, because she might not think you care enough for her.

Trust me, I should know. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I second the go for it plan. Or third, or fourth, or fifth, or whateverth.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
No, they're all wrong.

What you need to do is treat her like garbage. First, call her and don't leave messages... hang up if she answers. When you see her at school, make a backhanded compliment about her clothing, say: "That skirt would look so nice on you if you were a little taller." When she calls you, burp into the telephone, when you hang out together, make lengthy phone calls to other girls in which you share inside jokes and laugh without explaining them to her.

If you do go out on a date, show up 15 minutes late, and change your restaurant choice to IHOP. Do not bathe. When you get to the restaurant, say you're not hungry, but insist that SHE eat. Let her pay for the dinner, but YOU'LL get the tip. When you get to the movie theatre, change the movie choice to an actioner, and refuse to be sidetracked. Either that, or go to the romantic comedy, and laugh and make fun of it through the whole evening. Eat all the popcorn- you didn't get dinner.

When you're dropping her off, stop by the corner so you don't have to turn in to her street. She can let herself out the door, you just drive away fast. When she calls you, be honest, you're a little busy surfing the web. Be noncommunicative. Chicks dig that kind of thing.

Good luck!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Orincoro is absolutely right.

but seriously.

Confident, Dominant, Alpha male behavior. If you're a "nice guy", she won't be attracted to you.

You can still be a gentleman, but in a confident, dominant, way. Think James Bond and Indiana Jones. And always mix humor in there. Make fun of her, just not mean-spirited.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally go for a combination of the two.

Pop culture attributes "nice guy" to "pushover."

Be confident and strong, comfortable with yourself, but still be courteous and nice, and joke around. To be honest, if you know her really well I'd say cater to what you know she likes. Some girls like it when guys treat them like crap, I'll never understand it, but they do. And some would really rather a passive relationship. I think the grand majority are willing to overlook a lot so long as you are smart, you pay attention (and be interested) to what they have to say, have a good sense of humor, and are confident and comfortable with yourself.

Dominant and alpha male behavior is just as easily attributed to douchebaggery.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with the "dominate" thing, at least not what most people think of as dominate.

I would go for "nice but assertive".

There is a HUGE difference between those two things. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like dominant guys at all! *eyes moves furtively about the room* At all! I like really nice guys. *Studies shoe.*

But then again the complete idiots get thrown to the curb pretty fast. I like a combination of able to beat the crap out of intruders in the night/ I have to work a little and brings me flowers/ provides chocolate when I'm having a girlie moment.

These men are hard to find.

Anyway. You're already flirting, she's probably just waiting for you to kiss her.

My advice: take it slow, so that she has time to realize she really wants it. ie., don't give her everything all at once.

So say that you have some feelings for her, and ask if she'd be willing to go on a real "date" to try it out. Be your wonderful self, but with all the tension . . . and then, walk her to her door, and gaze into her eyes and tell her it was wonderful, and ask if you can take her out next Friday . . . and don't kiss her! This will work, I swear. Even if she wasn't sure before, this will seal the deal. She will be dying for the kiss the next Friday. Just be sure to compliment her a lot on the first date so she doesn't think you didn't have a good time.

She may grab you and kiss you at the end of the first date, but this is fine - generally when we women find ourselves initiating physical stuff, especially early on, it's because we are REALLY interested. Not because we're like "Oh, hmm, will it ruin the friendship?" We're like "Give me some sugar, now!" Ok, most girls don't say that.

I think I need to go to bed now.

Good night.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you guys still have dances in HS? Ask her to a dance. Or, ask her on a date, like to the movies or whatever kids do.

Give her a kiss. That usually works. [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
You gotta be a fool for something in this world, so be a fool for love.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
"Girl, you must be tired, because you've been running through my mind all day."
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a way you can find out if she is the least bit devoted to you. Hurl. If you blow chunks and she comes back, she's yours. If you spew and she bolts, then it was never meant to be.

That way you can find out if it's even worth the effort to take it to the next level.

I'm Helpful.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with ElJay! You've gotta give this a shot, LD, or you're going to regret it all through college. [Smile]

I'll just repeat everyone who's said to ask her out in a way that's clear you're wanting to kick things up a notch (candy, flowers, flowers made out of candy....) but also in a smiling/almost-joking kind of way, so it's also clear that she can back out "without hurting your feelings". Which is a crock, of course, but the point is that you don't want to approach her with some sort of dead-serious "I need you or I'll diiiiiie" speech. If you try to make this transition into a romantic relationship as casual as the existing friendship has been, I think you've got a great shot.

Also, flattery rocks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Stand outside her house with a boombox at dawn.

I am chock full of great ideas!

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Most girls that age are most attracted to confident guys who seem very friendly and outgoing, but not in an obnoxious way, of course. I agree with ElJay, too! Great advice. Look confident even if you don't feel it.

And ignore everybody who says that dating has to ruin friendships. I've dated and broken up with lots of very GOOD friends, and we're still very GOOD friends. No worries! Go for it!

Except, after you tell her this and she smiles and blushes and giggles and says, "Okay," then pull a single flower out of your pocket and give it to her, even if it's all crushed from being in your pocket. You'll score big points.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:

I feel like a relationship between us could cause so many awkward situations. It almost convinces me it's not worth it.

You're worried that a FAILED relationship between you could cause lots of awkward situations. I say, jump off the bridge when you get to it. A successful relationship could cause a lot of GREAT situations, since your families already get along great, you already know her dad, presumably he already likes and trusts you since you're his assistant, etc. It sounds like the perfect situation to me, frankly. [Wink]

Good luck, Romeo! You can do it. [Smile]

(p.s. this thread is unbelievably cute and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.)

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is not the greatest force in the Universe.

Human Stupidity is.

Proof, the amount of love lost due to human stupidity.

Being scared to try is just another flavor of that Human Stupidity.

Simply ask her to a movie, one you know she wants to see. Once she accepts, tell her "Good, its a date." Smile real big.

You pay.

Dinner and movie and anything else you do (I'm talking mini-golf or ice cream after--not hotel rooms or tattoos.).

At the end, get your normal hug good night, but add a peck on the cheek. Then look into her eyes. You'll know if she's happy or not with moving closer then.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautifulgirl57
Member # 9877

- posted      Profile for beautifulgirl57   Email beautifulgirl57         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
[qb]

(p.s. this thread is unbelievably cute and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.)

hahaha!! same here!! good luck, LD. Everyone here has great advice.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing you need to know is that for men, there are two sexes, men and women. For women, there are men, women, and friends.

And friend equals eunuch.

As a man, you know that if a woman is at all attractive, you have considered her. You may have rejected the idea, but you have thought about it.

Women can have guy friends and IT NEVER OCCURS TO THEM that they are men. Many women, upon finding out that the guy they have been hanging out with is not a eunuch after all, are squicked out or will feel awkward.

Realize that for some women, having a guy friend come on to them is like having your aunt come on to you. It feels gross and wrong.

You need to discover if you are in the man or friend category. I suggest you just go for it, because if she doesn't consider you a man you can decide if you still want to just be friends.

Find out now before you start fantasizing about her and pining after her. Find out while you're still on the fence. "No, you're just a friend." "Okay, just checking. Let's get pizza." Then write her off forever as a romantic interest.

If you're a guy, but not the guy for her right now, you might be able to try again later. Just don't hope for too much, and you can't be disappointed.

Now, as to how to find out what category you are in, personally I did it by actually explaining the whole male/female/friend point of view and then asking which category I was in. It was the man category, and she is now my wife. Your mileage may vary.

But don't come on too strong, and realize that she may not view you as having any gonads at all. Try not to get offended by that. Just tell yourself it's her problem, not yours. ;-)

By the way, my poor wife now realizes she left a trail of crushed hearts behind her; she had many, many guy friends try to be more than that, but they were all eunuchs to her. She didn't understand then. Most women don't.

Good luck.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
L_D: ElJay's advice is really on the mark. My best friend started having those feelings for me and I just didn't pick up on it, and I broke her heart. A few months later I was very much in love with her but she just did not feel that way for me anymore. I spent way too much time depressed about missing out on that opportunity.

If you are good friends, (and you sound like you are), why not give it a shot. If she says yes, won't you be so much happier? If she says no, you sound like close enough friends that she isn't going to run for the hills if you ask.

Just make sure she knows your friendship is not contingent on her, "Putting out."

My best friend was flattered I felt that way for her, and as far as she was concerned she patiently waited for me to get over her. We still hung out and did lots of stuff together.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Little_Doctor, I wish you the best of luck in the world.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Love is not the greatest force in the Universe.

Human Stupidity is.

Proof, the amount of love lost due to human stupidity.

Being scared to try is just another flavor of that Human Stupidity.

Simply ask her to a movie, one you know she wants to see. Once she accepts, tell her "Good, its a date." Smile real big.

You pay.

Dinner and movie and anything else you do (I'm talking mini-golf or ice cream after--not hotel rooms or tattoos.).

At the end, get your normal hug good night, but add a peck on the cheek. Then look into her eyes. You'll know if she's happy or not with moving closer then.

I'd go with this plan of action since it seems like the one that would make it a bit smoother and likely to make you less nervous.

If she bolts on you, well that's a shame. However...I'm single. [Razz]

ElJay
Member # 6358

BlackBlade, at that age I would have been completely offended if someone in that situation had felt the need to assure me our friendship was not contingent on my putting out. No s&^% it's not. That would have done more to harm a friendship than someone I wasn't interested in making a pass at me would have.

----

Seat, while I realize that there are some women who feel the way you've described, you're making an awfully broad generalization. I would say that in most cases it's not that the woman hasn't thought about the possibility, it's that she's considered and rejected it and moved on. And many women do the whole evaluating every man they meet as a possible mate on a continual basis thing, too. So while I'm glad that "explaining" to her how women think and asking which category you fit into worked for you, it is not a tactic I'd recommened to the population at large.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Also, I think one of the reasons that that belief is so wide-spread is that women are often raised to be "nice," with the understanding that not doing what other people want is being "mean." So it's "nicer" to say "You're such a good friend, I just don't think of you that way!" than to say "Thanks, but I'm not interested" or "Sorry, but I'm not in the slightest bit attracted to you." Even if one of the latter two might be more true. It's also a lot harder to argue with. You'd think "I'm not interested" would be equally hard to argue with, but for some reason people try.

You could argue that you'd rather women say what they mean, and I wouldn't disagree with you, but I'd also say that I'd rather men tell you they're not interested in a second date instead of saying they'll call and then not calling. So I don't think you can effectively call one gender on passive-agressive communication and conflict avoidance. It's a human trait, not a male or female one.

Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just my wife, I have talked to many women who are first surprised, then agree with the "male/female/friend" concept. And many guys as well that have had it bite them because they didn't understand it either.

Of course it's a generalization and not necessarily true for any particular individual, but I seriously doubt it's an isolated point of view, either.

It's like that Far Side comic where the guy is in bed thinking "Does she know I exist? Does she ever think of me like I think of her?" And the woman is in her own bed thinking "you know, I really do like vanilla." The caption is "same planet, two different worlds."

Also, I agree that saying "don't worry, our friendship isn't contingent on you putting out" is offensive, however many women have had guy friends that they thought were friends, then the guy made a move, they stomped on his heart, and he stopped being friends. Because the guys weren't ever really interested in being friends. They were always trying to be more. That's pretty scummy behavior, in my opinion, but guys do it, and some women would be reassured if the guy says "if you want to just stay friends I can do that, I don't just hang out with you because I want to date you, you're just a fun person to be around."

quote:

Patrick: I don’t have an agenda. That’s a bit offensive, actually. I’m perfectly capable of being friends with women without any kind of agenda.
Steve: For how long?
Patrick: As long as it takes.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I never said it was an isolated point of view. I wouldn't have objected if you'd have said some women, or many women. But you presented it as a universal truth. Which it is not.

And I agree with you about the guys who don't really want to be friends but are always trying to be more. . . but there's a big difference between wanting to start dating someone and expecting them to put out. These are high school students. I know some high schoolers are sexually active, but it's no where near assumed. Saying it's fine if you just want to stay friends is way different than saying it's fine if you won't have sex with me, don't you think?

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So I don't think you can effectively call one gender on passive-agressive communication and conflict avoidance. It's a human trait, not a male or female one.

Women do it a lot more, though. It's been documented by science and stuff.

Also independently verified by me!

quote:

BlackBlade, at that age I would have been completely offended if someone in that situation had felt the need to assure me our friendship was not contingent on my putting out. No s&^% it's not. That would have done more to harm a friendship than someone I wasn't interested in making a pass at me would have.

Also, I don't get this. So, the guy just wanted to reassure you, obviously not realizing it is obvious, and you're going to get offended? You are cranky.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Since I don't see any links to that science and stuff, I'm just going to say that if it is true I believe it's due to socialization more than inherent gender difference. [Smile]

And maybe we're working from different definitions. To me, "putting out" means sex. And for a high school guy who's never even been on a date with a girl to feel the need to say their continued friendship is not contingent on her sleeping with him is putting the cart so far in front of the horse that yeah, it's offensive. It would make me think that that's all that's been on his mind for the entire friendship, which is exactly the opposite of what the intention would be. At that age, in that sort of a relationship, it's not an issue, so why bring it up? Unless, you know, it really was an issue.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

And don't even think to mention a threesome.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Other things not to say:

"Man, your sister's hot."

"Man, your mom is hot."

"Man, your dad is hot."

"Do these slacks make my hips look big."

"I'll show you mine if you promise not to prosecute."

"You should go to Hatrack.com. There is this thread where people say the silliest things about you."

"Do you mind if we stop at the liquor store. I need to pick up some cash, and I hear they don't even load the gun behind the counter."

"If you truly love me, you'll get a peircing."

"I am not to drive to drunk."

"Oooh, what a nice dress. Can I wear it sometime?"

"I do make great arm candy."

"You are almost as pretty as I am tonight."

"Remember, everything is on me tonight. Can I borrow $50?" (This is especially bad if you then spend only $20 on the date, and pocket the rest.)

"Want to see my collection of whips and restraints?"

"I can't live without my Halo fix"

"Man, california gold is so much better than the mexican weed."

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
And don't even think to mention a threesome.

[ROFL]

Don't aske what her sexual fantasy is either!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.