FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I CANNOT do this alone. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I CANNOT do this alone.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
An angry, abusive person is unpredictable. A blow that at one moment completely disarms them may, in the next, escalate the situation. Hit someone with a stick, they may hit you back with a metal pipe.

The best way to prevent physical abuse is to avoid it entirely. Just leave.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I am having another one of a series of attacks that I've been getting for quite a while.

They're not violent or anything, it's just that sometimes when I am just minding my business, like right now, out of the blue, I get flooded with a horrible feeling of lonelyness.

I start crying, this lasts for a few minutes. of "emoness" and afterwards, it's like it never happened. I feel great again.

Why could this be happening to me? Could it be some sort of imbalance?
I've already stated that I feel very lonely, but is it normal for me to be flooded with that feeling and then suddenly feel all the better again as if nothing had happened at all?

In other words, I go from ok, to suicidal(only in thought, I'd never attempt to take my life) to ok again in very little time, say 10 minutes.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that it CAN be very effective, but I would imagine that it can also incite the other person to more violence.

I had a friend who was abused by her older brother. One day, he was choking her, and she punched him in the stomach. He stopped, but came back 5 minutes later with a baseball bat and broke her arm.

I'm just pointing out that while taking a stand and refusing to be a victim is a valuable effort, reacting to violence with more violence isn't always a safe answer. It works if the other person is unwilling to escalate the violence any further, but it doesn't work if the other person is willing to go further than you are.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:

Why could this be happening to me? Could it be some sort of imbalance?

Sure it could. And it's probably a lot more common than you think it is. Crying releases endorphins, which make you feel better physically and emotionally. That's why we do it.

There is one theory that some people are naturally low in endorphins and we do things to spike them -- melodrama, tears, binge eating, even compulsive exercise. (See radiantrecovery.com for more on this--but it's only one part of a theory that "sugar addiction" occurs in people who have low blood sugar, low endorphins, and low serotonin.)

And for the more standard response, you might want to check with a doctor about whether antidepressants to help level out your moods would be a good idea.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
AoD, the fact that you're stuck in an abusive situation with no means of escape as of yet, you're trapped, and it's completely within the realm of normal to feel as you do.

Does your school have a counseling center at all? If they do, a trip down there might be of some help, even if only to let you know that you aren't alone. They also might have some ideas of how you can escape. I know that when I was in college, the housing people allowed me to come to campus early and stay in student housing without being charged to get me out of an abusive situation quite similar to yours.

And get the hell out of there as soon as you can. I mean it, get the hell out. The longer you're there, the longer it will also stay with you emotionally, not to say what physical danger you're in.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.