FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » so about this fanfiction stuff (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: so about this fanfiction stuff
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker* Indeed.

And I missed the troll! Alas. *weeps*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ic, I love you. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
No one ever criticised your writing, dear. This is a pro fanfic thread- as positive about fanfic as Hatrack gets, since the author whose site this is detests it.

It probably is best that you don't post here if it makes so unhappy (and if you do it at school, when you should be doing school stuff.

Sorry, for implying the troll was a friend of yours. Someone suggested it, and it seemed plausible, but I did jump to the conclusion hastily. My bad.

If you email the janitor he can probably delete your account. You can edit any personal information out of your profile yourself, and delete your posts, if you wish.

Feel free to stick around if you like, though. I don't believe anyone honestly meant to hurt your feelings.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Seriously, this thread is astonishingly positive about fan fiction. Short of a fan fiction forum, you would not find a friendlier write-up of fan fiction anywhere.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Look at what I miss when I don't read a thread. Will there be more? I'd like to know so I can break out the popcorn. [Razz]

quote:
I didn't get my feelings hurt and I would hardly call what I said a "hissy fit". We obviously have very different opinions on this subject, but I presented a reasonable argument I think. I may have been overstepping it by calling people pathetic, but I didn't appreciate the condescending tone that many of you responded with beforehand.
You insulted people. Insults do not constitute reasonable arguments. And yes, you did overstep by insulting people. If you do that here, you won't be highly regarded.

If you want to present and/or defend an argue, try using logic. Keep the insults and name calling out of it. You might find you get better results or at least some sympathy.

And from what I read on this thread, your posts were the only ones that were condescending.

However, if, as you say you aren't returning, then none of this matters. If you do decide to return, though, and you can, then learn to play nice.

I'm not in the fanfic community - neither reading nor writing - so y'all talk about Mary Sues and I have no idea what is meant. Would someone care to explain?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, you know, they do discuss and debate the meaning of the word right here! [Wink] Sounds like it's when an author writes herself into a story as a character, typically for some sort of ego gratification.

-o-

Kurt Vonnegut wrote himself into Slaughterhouse Five. He appears in a military latrine, IIRC, complaining that he's going to crap his brains out. Would you call that a "Marty Sue"?

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Mary Sues are (I think) characters added in to an ongoing story who are extra-super smart, and beautiful, and just gosh darn so all-around awesome that all the main characters become starry-eyed about them, and plotlines start revolving around them, and all the main characters are talking about how wonderful they are all the time. So, yes, wish-fulfillment self-insertion.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Obligatory wikilink

quote:
Would you call that a "Marty Sue"?
No, for a man it's a Marty Stu. [Wink] Anyway, a brief cameo generally doesn't qualify. By definition, Mary Sues have hugely pivotal roles in the plot.

The Ultimate Mary Sue

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
In my circles I've always heard a male wish-fulfillment character called "Gary Stu."
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It might have to do with the fandom, I too am more familar with "Gary Stu"
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I've heard both, but neither frequently. Most of the fandoms I read are predominated by female authors.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Thanks! That was what I thought, but it's nice to have it confirmed. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O the drama. I'm glad I have Hatrack around to be nicer than me. [Smile]

I've appreciated everyone's comments explaining why they like (or don't like) fanfiction.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Droog
Member # 10128

- posted      Profile for The Droog   Email The Droog         Edit/Delete Post 
Doctor: Hello Joe. How are you.
Joe: What has happened, Doctor?
Doctor: Did you hear about that car accident across the road?
Joe: WHAT'S HAPPENED???
Doctor: I have some tragic news about your wife, and about your life-threatening disease.
Joe: WHAT IS IT?????
Doctor: I'm afraid to say that...

EVERYONE WILL KNOW YOU DIED SCRATCHING MY BALLS!!!

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.