FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay, advice for getting into shape in under 18 days. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Okay, advice for getting into shape in under 18 days.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
on febuary 9th I am going for a physical fitness evaluation to determine if I am physically fit enough to meet the minimum requirements for the Canadian Reserves, because courses will begin febuary 24th.

As such I need to be able to do 19 pushups, 19 situps and I think run laps. I know when I originally took a test there was the above and a "steps" test to test blood pressure and coordination not sure if im doing that particular test.

So ya I started doing push ups and some jogging, what should I do to hit the minimum (preferable past the minimum).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
In short, do pushups, do situps, and run. Nothing fancy needed. How close are you?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
First, start sooner.

Second, how did you ever allow yourself to get into a shape where you could't do 19 situps and 19 push ups?

Third, do sit ups and push ups, as well as pull ups, and something to increase your endurance (like running).

Forth, don't allow yourself to reach the point where you can not do 20 sit ups and 20 push ups again. Even that level of fitness is virtually no fitness at all.

If you plan to live a long and healthy life, then on any day between now and the day you die, you should be able to do 20/20 at the drop of a hat, and further, should be maintain you endurance at a level that does not cause to to drop dead of a heart attack from running across the street for a pack of dognuts.

Sorry, for the sarcasm.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I can do 19 pushups, situps were wierd I KNOW I can do like 30-40 but for some reson on occasion i ouldnt go past 16 wierd, during the gym I could do a high number but in other places i couldnt sit back up.

As to why im in bad shape, over eating, and gamer nerdy habits need I say more?

But I need to make sure I can do the minimum as easily and with as little effort as possible since the physical training will probly kill me If I can only do the bare minimum.

*note Canadian infantry training is harder then US Rangers training proven fact.

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Err... Fact proven by who?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I could do 19 push ups if I had to, but I do wonder.

I know many people who couldn't do 5 push ups if you asked them to, however.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Canadian infantry training is harder then US Rangers training proven fact.
Considering that this sentence makes no sense as is, I'll change the then to a than...and, then,

quote:

Canadian infantry training is harder than US Rangers training proven fact.

The statement makes sense! The training of Candian infantry soldiers is harder than "US Rangers training proven fact." Logik.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Other than my mother, I don't think I know a single person IRL that can't hack 19 situps and 19 pushups.

You tell that to a Ranger he'll annex Canada by himself.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

US spec ops soldier testimony while on tour with Canadian soldiers during actions in Afganistan confirm this, I lack a link but friends currently in the army tell me that this is indeed true.
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
BlueWizard's got some good advice for all of us!!

Do good work, Blayne Bradley...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Rule #1 for getting in shape: Unplug.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Rule #1 for getting in shape: Unplug.

The truth! I can testify!

My workout:
100 jumping jacks, 50 straight and 50 crossed.
20 pushupsx2 or 3 if I can make it.
20 Leglifts & 20 crunches
and Curls with weight increasing with fewer reps.

I started at 10 pushups, and within 2 weeks I was able to get to 20. The important thing is to always push yourself above and beyond.

Go for it! [The Wave]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
just exercise every single day- don't miss any andd you'll get better quickly
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Annex A to this document. It's the workout regimen the Army Reserves over here recommend prior to joining up.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Canadian infantry has harder training than US Rangers. I'm not sure I believe Canadian infantry has harder training than US Army regulars.

I'd have to see some documentation.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*note Canadian infantry training is harder then US Rangers training proven fact.
lies lies lies

fake edit: lies

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, not sure I could add anything here. It's been said. For situps, you may find that you don't have to go all the way down straight (If you call that a cheat, then you should see what my Marine buddies do). Run slow, it is harder (ooooh is it ever). Though, I can't see why it should be so tough.

19? They have you just do 19? How fast do you have to do them in? Oh, for situps, don't place your hands behind your head and lift your head up. You get more out of crossing them across your chest. Don't move them off the shoulders. Either hold onto your shoulders or grab a small hold on your work out shirt. After a while it gets tough to keep to that. Most will want to move their arms for relief they think they need.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I started running 2 weeks ago. The first day was pitiful. Every day, just a little further.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Starting the whole running process is always pitiful. Your cardiovascular system attempts to mutiny, blocks turn into miles, your calves fill themselves chock full with lactic acid ..

Unsurprisingly, it's best to go through the hurt while you're still on your own time. Makes basic a hell of a lot easier. And less embarrassing than it normally has to be.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just don't let yourself slip into complacency or worse. Just keep on doing one or two more a day. If you can't manage that, go for a couple days before moving up. But always be trying to do more.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Blayne, I just watched my girlfriend do 20 pushups. Get a grip.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I don't believe Canadian infantry has harder training than US Rangers. I'm not sure I believe Canadian infantry even exist .

I'd have to see some documentation.

Fixed. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Blayne,

Anything you do is better than nothing. My guess is that concentrating on CV fitness will help more than anything else. At least you will have more stamina to perform the various reps.

I found this on the UK Prison Service website:

Get fit for Assessment

Despite this being a 12 week programme aimed at preparing you for a fitness test that is probably not as demanding as the one for the Canadian Army, but hey, it's a good guide.

I wish you all the very best of luck,and let us know how you get on!

And don't forget: START NOW!!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You could always give your keyboard and mouse to your parents and tell them not to give them back to you until you can do 19 pushups and 19 situps.

Or maybe you can go to your local nursing home and train with the other old folks.

[Laugh]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
As my cousin is an Army Ranger who has served in both Afghanistan and Iraq, I can tell you that your Army "buddies" are full of horseshit.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

uuum no they're not.

I'm heading to te gym today, gonna bring some friends along.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, as I am not in third grade, I'm not going to play this game with you.

Prove your assertion, or at least support it in some way.

Why is it that only 1/3rd of the people who attempt Ranger school complete it? Those that make the attempt are usually the best and the brightest, but they find themselves psychologically and physically taxed to their very limit.

The number of people who pass seems like a good measure of how difficult the course is. Are you telling me that less than a third of the raw recruits in the Canadian Infantry pass due to its gruelling nature? I see nothing supporting that online.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
How do they come up with a number like 19? Why not just make it 20? A number like 19 implies a level of accuracy in someone's study that I don't think exists.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not being able to do 20 pushups is laughable, but when I started working out in college, I'm not sure I could do *one*. Certainly not five.

I started bench pressing with just the bar, no weights on it.

You can only start from where you are!

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also try starting your push-ups from your knees, rather than your feet. They are much easier. Or try doing them against the wall.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
uuum no they're not.
Scathing counterpoint there, Blayne.

But seriously, dude. Let's talk about who the rangers are: They're an 'elite light infantry special forces squadron.' Basic combat training, advanced individual training, and military occupational specialty completion is the absolute minimum training requirement for anyone who can be subsequently accepted into prospective Ranger service. They then have to finish Ground Week, Tower Week and Jump Week at the United States Army Airborne School, whereupon they may qualify for the Ranger programs, which include heavy doses of land navigation and air operations training. Should they complete the Ranger Indoctrination/Orientation program, they MAY be cleared for the United States Ranger School at Fort Benning, Camp Merril, and Camp Rudder.

Ranger school is an intense training program that is designed to cater only to the elite prospects of the extraordinarily few people who even qualify for the potential to enter ranger school, so it's the cream of the crop going in. Only a third of the prospects will pass the course, the rest will wash out over the grueling 26 week long ordeal, which most rangers say will have reduced them from their peak physical condition to their lowest point.

Over the grueling three-phase course, they're operating with 45kg packs and averaging over 19 hours of activity a day, averaging less than two hours of sleep a night and eating less than two meals a day. It is about the toughest physical endurance training regimen in the armed services, really only rivaled by the Navy SEALS, but this is to be expected of any Special Operations force, which is typically comprised of the most significantly able bodies in any branch, and is possessed of the most rigorous training. The Rangers, specifically as a flexible and fully elite light operations unit that can be deployed to any point on the globe within 18 hours. They are extraordinarily qualified for use in airborne, air assault, light infantry and direct action operations, raids, infiltration and exfiltration by air, land or sea, airfield seizure, recovery of personnel and special equipment, and support of general purpose forces (the regular grunts).

You aren't even claiming that it's equivalent to Canada's special operations training, you're claiming it's easier than Canadian basic infantry training.

It would be very unusual if this were the case, as nearly nobody in the entire Canadian population would have the physical capacity to successfully complete canadian army basic. Fortunately, it's easy to deduce that this is not the case and a good acid test of this deduction is that it is humanly possible for you to qualify for entry on the merit of 19 pushups and 19 situps.

Naked_Valkyrie
Member # 10126

- posted      Profile for Naked_Valkyrie   Email Naked_Valkyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Canada has an Army? I thought that is where you go to stay out of the Army!
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Naked_Valkyrie:
Canada has an Army? I thought that is where you go to stay out of the Army!

Canada doesn't need an army, they have moose.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naked_Valkyrie
Member # 10126

- posted      Profile for Naked_Valkyrie   Email Naked_Valkyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
is papa moose Canadian?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
People. Enough with the Canada-bashing, ok? You might want to remember that the US has lost big every time they tried to invade the place. And that's with five times the population. Any mockery should go the other way, except of course that Americans are already so totally open to mockery for being utterly ignorant of history and good manners; pointing out that their army has, historically, utterly sucked would just be icing on the cake of their humiliation.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naked_Valkyrie
Member # 10126

We fought a war with Canada? I thought we won all the wars we where in except the one in Veitnam?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

my grandpa can beat up your grandpa.

*shrug* maybe they're exagerating but there is a confirmed incident where US solders gave theyre weapons to the Canadians camped out with them, (the Canadian weapons were father back in the cave) on the basis that the Canadian soldiers could use theyre guns better.

It also cannot be denied that Canadian soldiers do tend to perform extraordinarily in their duties, prominant examples are canadians winning inernational wargames, tank training skirmishes, and sniper "competition" in Afghanistan.

I have no proof yes, but every exageration has some level of truth.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any mockery should go the other way, except of course that Americans are already so totally open to mockery for being utterly ignorant of history and good manners
*dies from irony overdose*
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

my grandpa can beat up your grandpa.

*shrug* maybe they're exagerating but there is a confirmed incident where US solders gave theyre weapons to the Canadians camped out with them, (the Canadian weapons were father back in the cave) on the basis that the Canadian soldiers could use theyre guns better.

It also cannot be denied that Canadian soldiers do tend to perform extraordinarily in their duties, prominant examples are canadians winning inernational wargames, tank training skirmishes, and sniper "competition" in Afghanistan.

I have no proof yes, but every exageration has some level of truth.

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...might want to remember that the US has lost big every time they tried to invade the place.
A lot of things were different 200 years ago, or have we attempted to invade Canada more recently than the War of 1812?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
You might want to remember that the US has lost big every time they tried to invade the place. And that's with five times the population. Any mockery should go the other way, except of course that Americans are already so totally open to mockery for being utterly ignorant of history and good manners; pointing out that their army has, historically, utterly sucked would just be icing on the cake of their humiliation.
Ummmm, yes. Evidently you have them yankees licked in the field of good manners. That's why you get to be so boastful about it?
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
there is a confirmed incident where US solders gave theyre weapons to the Canadians camped out with them, (the Canadian weapons were father back in the cave) on the basis that the Canadian soldiers could use theyre guns better.
Again...if this is confirmed then please, by all means, provide proof.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naked_Valkyrie
Member # 10126

It makes sense if Canada has a small military then they are the ones that want to be in for life so they might be better on average but not really very strong as an army.
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Naked_Valkyrie:
We fought a war with Canada? I thought we won all the wars we where in except the one in Veitnam?

Right-ho. I rest my case. Sheer ignorance, and of their own istory at that.
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
quote:
...might want to remember that the US has lost big every time they tried to invade the place.
A lot of things were different 200 years ago, or have we attempted to invade Canada more recently than the War of 1812?
Yep. And got your asses kicked. Again.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Please!?! The Fenian raids?!? A couple hundred Irishmen with anger issues constitues a war?!

Hell, in that case, come time for the next family reunion, we're invading Canada!

I'm guessing we can easily take Montreal, or at the very least inflict some of our stereotypical American rudeness on them for foisting Celine Dion onto us.

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
edited.

Because I realized that just because other people are snippy doesn't mean I have to be.

[ January 23, 2007, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: cmc ]

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Sidenote on the Fenian raids...supported by your own linked article...

The Canadians were beaten by the Fenians, with the Fenians retreating only because of their lack of a supply chain and approaching British regulars.

Is this what amounts to an ass-kicking in Canada?

Naked_Valkyrie
Member # 10126

I just joined up and I am called ignorant by a man who cannot do 19 sit-ups? I guess you need something to be boastful about. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask questions.
King of Men
Member # 6684

When the invading army retreats because it hasn't got the basic competence to ensure enough ammunition and food, and because it's afraid to fight the army it intended to defeat... Yes, I call that an ass-kicking.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.