FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatracker Resource Thread

Author Topic: The Hatracker Resource Thread
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ask me why I thought of this, but there've been several occasions where I've needed a list of the essential hatrack threads. There are about a half-dozen of these (at least) that I search for and find every few months. This thread will be the place that I archive them, so when I need them I only need to search for this thread. And I know I'll remember the name because I made it blantantly obvious.

Topics I think we've all needed at some point in time

• New Hatrack Photo Album.
    The link to the thread containing the link to the new Hatrack photo album (which replaces Foobonic).
  • The REAL Hatracker's thread. This is the thread to post in if you're real (as defined in the jatraquero rulebook -- see below).
  • Jatraquero Map, Take... what... Three?. This thread contains the link to the latest map (courtesy of Frapper). See who lives by you! Great for stalking!
  • Welcome to Landmark Threads. Of course, this thread has its own forum (that Pop, he's a showoff [Wink] ). But still, it belongs here as well.
  • The Official Hatrack Exercise Thread. Want to lose weight, and/or get in shape? Tips and tricks here (shameless self-promotion: I wrote a particularly long post on diet and exercise on page 4, and it still looks pretty accurate). Additionally, try The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread.
  • It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it. *ducks*
  • Applications to Be a Hatrack Horseman of the Apocalypse. Not really any way to explain this one. Suffice it to say that Sarcasm, Cynicism, Fluff, and TomDavidson will be along shortly to usher in the end times.
  • Dobie Thread Thread. A place where your bad puns can go to die, instead of giving in to the temptress that is the dobie thread (which, as you may or may not know, is widely reviled).
  • Orginal Potry. One of the earliest threads once Hatrack River migrated over from its earlier incarnation (at AOL -- don't know if any of these threads cover that story, but ask an oldbie if you interested in it), this thread contains original poetry by various hatrackers. Hark -- talent ho!
  • ?! If you're a curious sort, like me, you immediately went from the Orginal Potry thread (#18) to see what the very first thread was (#1). Ironically, at some point a few years ago there was a database or backup problem where all the threads got lost. A thread was started by Papa Moose to ask what the deuce was going on, and that thread took the next available thread number. Which, in this case, was number #000001. So, as it turns out, the oldest remaining thread is the Orginal Potry thread.*

The nOOb's guide to Hatrack's inside jokes/references

• What in Bob's name are Jatraqueros??? Is this a term you've heard bandied about and you haven't a clue what it means? Well, it's kinda sorta almost explained in this thread. Really, the thread's more about whether or not the term 'Jatraquero' could be copyrighted. But still a good discussion. If that's not enough for you, try here: For the last time-- it's JATRAQUEROS! This thread also includes a special bonus section on the proper pronunciation of the word 'jatraqueros', and an in-depth discussion of whether or not it's masculine or feminine.
  • Hatrack Slang. Dobie, mayfly, meme, onanism. More words that people use and expect everyone to understand. Come on in and get yo' learn on.
  • Newbies, Hey Newbies! Look in Here! This thread is filled with tips, tricks, and FAQs for newbies and oldbies alike. Required reading if you're even thinking of posting.
  • Who poisoned the well at Hatrack? Just a look back at some not-so-distant navel-gazing as a gentle reminder of why you should treat your fellow posters with respect. No one's perfect in this regard (least of all, me), but it's worth working at.
If anyone can think of any other essential or useful threads, here be the place to link them. For convention's sake, I've made the text in the link the same as the thread title, in case the forum links get wonky on us again at least we'll have the actual complete title to better search by.

Also, if in your browsing you find a dead link, take the six digit topic number (of which the first digit will likely be a zero), and paste it inside any of these links where t=<the six digit number>.

There are plenty of great old threads besides these, and I was tempted to go on a mass bumping expedition. But, luckily, I have some self control. I tried to only include threads that contained valuable reference material (as defined by me). Anything that anyone notices missing, go ahead and post it.

*The forum software prunes old threads from time to time (which is supposedly great for digestion). So any old thread that goes <arbitrary length of time> without bumping will be deleted. Meaning a lot of the really old threads are no more.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot the Jatraquero Cookbook.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You missed the dingle thread. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant post the actual link, not just tell me which ones to go get. Lazy bums. [Wink]
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
What about a link to Hatrack book recommendations?

FG

(cookbook, as far as I know, is hosted at dagonee's site)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need the frappr thread for stalking.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Thanks, FG, I was looking for that thread but couldn't find it.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea JT. Handy thread.

Now a year from now there will be a thread linking all the compilation threads together into the OFFICIAL Resource Thread.

[Wink]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread may come in handy.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the CT pim--er, I mean, matchmaker thread was a classic. You know, the one where she sol--I mean, matched nubile Hatrackers to other Hatrackers.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Ooh, good thinking, Tante!
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome idea. I was quite happy to see the Apocalypse thread up there. It's one of my all time favs. I only wish I could've been around for its creation.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I meant post the actual link, not just tell me which ones to go get. Lazy bums. [Wink]

I resemble that remark. Fine.

The Jatraquero Recipe Site thread, with link to the recipe site and discussion of said site.

Also, not very active anymore but still potentially useful:

The Reading Aloud Club and
The Public Domain Acappella (sic) Song Recording Thread

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
This thread may come in handy.

I clicked on the link twice.

quote:
Re.cur.sion (n.) - See recursion.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I did, too. It may have even been 3 times.

quote:

Stu.pid (adj.) - See docmagik

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
On a serious note, I believe we had a 'Best of' for websites, music sites, and programs?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, JT, would there be any chance of editing the first post to include all the other links? That way one doesn't have to scroll through the whole thread to pick out interesting links - they can get the benefit of all the links people came up with just by glancing at the top.

I know some World of Warcraft "FAQ" threads for classes do that, just so people don't have to scroll through 15-20 pages of posts.

Just a thought.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, I'll be happy to do that. But not right now; I'll wait until more people have had a chance to chime in with stuff I've missed.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this one has been mentioned yet. It's one that I'm always searching for. Adjacent Thread Titles
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I killed this thread (and then shamelessly bumped it with a reference to killing it) a long time ago, but I think it rates a mention here: The Romance Writer's Thread
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool thread. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
There's also the dude [Cool] peekaboo thread on the Other Side. I consider it the Salvador Dali of Hatrack threads.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*kills JT*

And you know why! [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 

For Rabbit's sake, so she doesn't have to keep doing it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
*kills JT*

And you know why! [Razz]

Why? He didn't *do* anything.....

... that's the beauty of him.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Either way, it was totally worth it. [Wink]
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
OOC
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/main/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015495

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/main/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015757

We are chatting now
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/main/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000597

Hugs thread, wherever that is.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*kills imogen*

*kills the oddly not-dead JT*

*waves to Zevvy* [Big Grin] [Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp*
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

*revives and resurrects all the Hatrackers that rivka is serial-killing*
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Re.cur.sion (n.) - See recursion.
Wait, wait, don't you mean a recursive causality loop?

/geek

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*pulls out Tom Davidson's Plot Sword*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Getting it terribly, terribly wrong, or difficulties writing the other gender

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I was waiting for it Icky. I couldn't remember the name and was reluctant to just do a word search, but that is another of the threads that I feel like I've read enough times I should get an honourable mention in it or something.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.