FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Screwtape Letters: The Movie!

Author Topic: The Screwtape Letters: The Movie!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm personally holding out for a "Til We Have Faces" movie.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I would think Till We Have Faces or Perelandra or even The Great Divorce much more suited to a movie.

Think they will likely tap Cleese to play Screwtape, seeing as he already has?

I'm a huge lewis fan, but I'd probably rather see Good Omens if they are going to do a movie about devils in the real world... not that it's a better depiciton, but that it'd be much more entertaining.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This is much more exicting.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a horrible idea. And I love that book.

quote:
Think they will likely tap Cleese to play Screwtape, seeing as he already has?
Has he played it anywhere other than in the audio book version of the Screwtape Letters?

quote:
I'm a huge lewis fan, but I'd probably rather see Good Omens if they are going to do a movie about devils in the real world... not that it's a better depiciton, but that it'd be much more entertaining.
I enjoy both Pratchett and Gaiman, and I read Good Omens just a few weeks ago, and I was really dissapointed. It started out great, but by the end I was itching for it to be over so that I could read something enjoyable.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I rather enjoyed the book LAMB: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. However, it's mildly blasphemous.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
nope... I was referring to the audio book.

As for Good Omens I was hoping for a little bit more depth to it, but I thought it was fun.

and I would still much rather see it as a movie than Screwtape

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
nope... I was referring to the audio book.

I have to say that his reading of the book was the best casting I've ever heard in an audio book. Brilliant!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to pick another CS Lewis book to be adapted into a movie, I would pick his science fiction series.

Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength were some of the most thought provoking books I have read in a long time.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a really terrible idea for a movie. It's much more suited for book form.

Still if they managed to get a VERY talented yarn spinner to connect all the letters in an effective way, they might make me look like a fool and pull it off.

Part of me cringes in fear that they will try to make a comedy out of the whole book [Frown]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
My initial reaction was the same, but I think it could be doable. The trick would be to have the man, not the devil, be the main character. We develop him extensively, but unlike him, we can see the demon whispering in his ear. Then, in a sort of Upstairs, Downstairs way, we get to see the demons plotting against him.

Boffo ending, of course. It wouldn't be much like the book, but then it couldn't, not and be effective on film.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
If I had to pick another CS Lewis book to be adapted into a movie, I would pick his science fiction series.
I think The Great Divorce could make a decent movie.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree that it seems really weird. Really really weird.

I would love to see someone's depiction of the Space Trilogy. Just for the sake of Malecandra and Perelandra shots. [Smile] So neat.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Hollywood is sooooo desperate.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
On the one hand 84 Charring Cross Road, which is also a book that consists entirely of a series of letters, was made into quite a charming movie.

On the other hand, a play based on CS Lewis' A Grief Observed occupied one of the most tedious 2 hours of my life. And at one point I looked around the theater and over half the audience appeared to be asleep.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mara
Member # 2232

- posted      Profile for Mara   Email Mara         Edit/Delete Post 
Screwtape as a movie??? I'd watch it out of Lewis loyalty, but with incredibly low expectations. I don't see a way they can portray demons without pissing a lot of people off, too.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that with a creative and courageous script, it could work. Something in the style of Terry Gilliam, perhaps. Some major adjustments would have to be made. I hope it would at the very least maintain and preferebly highlight the comedic elements of the book. And I think they would probably have to lose the mixed-up chronology of the book.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
...I will not watch this. I don't care if it's good. The Screwtape Letters is one of my favorite books of all time -- and probably one of the most influential in my life. This book was not meant to be a movie. Sheesh.

Okay, those are some bold statements. But still, it'll probably be crap.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder how many car chases and fart jokes they'll put in the script...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am racking my brain and I can't see how it would work without it being rendered unrecognizable. You know, one of those "based" on the book by C.S. Lewis, no, worse, "inspired" by the book by C.S. Lewis.

I'll second that Great Divorce recommendation, though. Of course, to be Hollywood-type entertainment they'd have to make it less preachy, which would make me like it less (and, of course, Walden Media's sole aim will be to create something I'll be pleased with).

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a really bad idea
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
Wonder how many car chases and fart jokes they'll put in the script...

I can tell you this -- it won't be enough.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
^^^^ HAHA! Laugh out loud, for real.

I was speculating in my earlier post. I have little hope it could be pulled off.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll have to finally get around to reading the book someday.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the comment about Good Omens and itching. It had it moments but I prefer my Pratchett and Gaiman to continue working separating.

quote:
I rather enjoyed the book LAMB: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. However, it's mildly blasphemous.
If you visit Louisiana in March, I get can you tickets to our school's production of LAMB. My roommate got special permission from the author to adapt it to stage and so we're putting it on. As the head of publicity, I'm hoping the blasphemy will help stir up some good advertisement. My goal is to get a church to protest. Thankfully the end is great and cancels out all the dirty sex jokes.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

quote:
Originally posted by dh:
I guess I'll have to finally get around to reading the book someday.

Don't look at it that way! It's one of Lewis' best! Highly entertaining, and with terrific insight. You'll be kicking yourself for having not read it five times already.
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I hear. And I really like Lewis. I've been wanting to read it for several years and just haven't gotten around to it. But if they make it into a movie, I'll have no choice, will I ? Which is a good thing. [Smile] I mean, you can't go see a movie without having read the book first, or you might find yourself with nothing to gripe about, and where's the pleasure in that ? Nope, definitely have to read the book.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.