FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Watch out San Francisco! -- Sunday, February 25 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Watch out San Francisco! -- Sunday, February 25
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
'Cuz I'm coming to visit.

Conference Sunday, February 25 thru Tuesday, February 27. Pretty booked during the days, but I'd love to get together with folks either Sunday or Monday evening.

[ February 11, 2007, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
San Francisco is the most beautiful city in America. Fantastic place.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on what Tara said. I used to live there. Where are you going to be staying and spending most of your time, and what's the conference for?

If you're looking for good food, my top three are:
-La Taqueria on Mission and 25th. They have the most excellent tacos ever, and I generally don't like mexican food. Make sure to ask for crispy style.

-Tartine on Guerrero and 18th. Excellent french bakery with excellent croissants. And if you like chocolate, I recommend the pain au chocolat. Very rich and heart stopping.

-Cordon Bleu, a hole in the wall Vietnamese place that's on California between Polk and Larkin.

Hope you have fun, and get a mini Rivka-con out of the trip.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Given that none of those have kosher food, I appreciate the thought, but will pass. [Smile]

The conference is the College Board's Western Region Forum. I'm staying at a hotel just off Union Square.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Fortunately, there does seem to be one (but just one) kosher restaurant not too far away.
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Doh! I forgot about that. Sorry.

Union Square is right in the heart of downtown. Should be fun.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] I wanna go to San Fransisco.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No worries, signal. [Smile] I appreciate the thought.

Given that no Jatraqueros seem interested in getting together with me up there (*sob*), I guess I'll have to explore the area on my own. Alas! [Wink]

Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. [Smile]
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

But it isn't summertime.
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, don't give up so quickly. I might be able to swing by from school to meet you on Sunday night.. I've never met any other Jatraqueros before.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yay! [Big Grin] You'd be half-real. [Smile]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka: Sorry, SF is too far from SJ for me to crawl out from under my rock.

And I need to be under my rock right now *sigh*

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*pat pat* I've done the SJ-to-SF drive, and it is a pain -- especially in the evening. So I totally understand, Pix.
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
rivka: Sorry, SF is too far from SJ for me to crawl out from under my rock.

And I need to be under my rock right now *sigh*

you could always take the caltrain :)
Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
No worries, signal. [Smile] I appreciate the thought.

Given that no Jatraqueros seem interested in getting together with me up there (*sob*), I guess I'll have to explore the area on my own. Alas! [Wink]

If you message Celaeno, she may go - she's in SJ and makes the drive pretty regularly.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

Yeah, where is that handy dandy Hatrack map? There are a few other Jatraqueros around here.

Woot! Half-reality, here I come!
I'm still not sure I can make it though. I think I have a project due Tuesday.. gotta check with my group.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, ooh, ooh, I'm in San Francisco! I've never met rivka! You'd be completely real, esl.

[edit: and yes, I know rivka won't read this until tomorrow evening, but hey.]

[ February 09, 2007, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I got back from SF ten minutes ago. Not kidding.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, rivka, you won't need any more entertainment than watching the chess players on Union Square. Pray for dry weather. *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm going to SF in a couple of hours. erosomniac's right. I make the drive quite often. I've also done the Caltrain/BART thing.

Rivka, I'd love to meet you.

Pixiest, I could give you a ride.

esl, I'm real too, so you'll be real even if the others can't make it.

Abhi, you're coming, right?

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

Is it a party? :)
I could come... I play in a cricket league sunday mornings, but any other time works for me.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I'm pretty sure I can do either Sunday or Monday. We could always make it a party.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

Woohoo! I can make Sunday night. I need to be back at school (Davis) for Monday. I think I misremembered the date for that project. Looks like we need to get crackin on it sooner than I had anticipated.

It would be very cool to meet you all.

rivka
Member # 4859

It's like a watched pot! [Big Grin] I go offline for a bit (as I do every week), and it comes together without me! [Big Grin] I love meeting Hatrackers, and giving the gift of Realness to boot! [Wink]

Does Sunday night at the Sabra Grill work for everyone?

Celaeno
Member # 8562

I checked out the menu, and it looks fantastic. What time works best for you, rivka?
rivka
Member # 4859

Seminars are over at 5 on Sunday, and while I will probably pop in to the welcome reception (5-6:30) I have no intention of staying long. Six-ish?

Oh, and if anyone is coming in a car, a ride from the Palace Hotel (where the conference is) would be great. [Smile]

Quick head-count: are we going to be five or more?

Celaeno
Member # 8562

I'm definitely in, and I'll have a car. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]
Mike
Member # 55

I'm in! I have class until 6, but I can be downtown by around 6:30. This is going to be fun. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

Hey Celaeno,

Could I steal a ride with you? I'm in northern Sunnyvale now [just off 101].

esl
Member # 3143

I'm there. I'll have a car too. So, looks like five for now. Anytime on Sunday would work for me.

[Cool] This is exciting

Celaeno
Member # 8562

No problem, Abhi. Just message me the address.
rivka
Member # 4859

I'll hold off on calling them until the week before. Then I'll make a reservation for 5 people, for 6:30. Sounds good to everyone?

*bounce* [Big Grin]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you pencil, but not ink me in?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Fair enough. [Smile]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I'm sorry I'm so wishy-washy, but I'm very reclusive and it's tough to get me out of the house.
rivka
Member # 4859

As someone who spent the entire time from Friday afternoon to Monday morning at home alone (despite my resolution to get out and do something), I completely understand.
rivka
Member # 4859

Mike and esl, you should have just received an email with my contact info. Celaeno and Abhi, your emails are not visible. Could you please email me (eddress in my profile)? And put Hatrack in the subject line, please.

Everybody still on? (Except I know Pix is out of state.)

*bounce* [Big Grin]

Celaeno
Member # 8562

Sent!

Now all you guys need to do is post pictures in the Hatrack Photo Album. I don't know how I'm going to recognize any of you (except Abhi because I already met him). [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Replied. [Smile]
Mike
Member # 55

Sent as well. As I mentioned in the email, I'll be the guy with the juggling clubs sticking out of his bag.
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]

If any of you have Abhi's email address, maybe give him a nudge?

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell him when I call him tonight. Or you could just send the email to me and I'll forward it on to him.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have now heard from everyone, and everyone should have received an email with my digits.

*bounce*

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, despite what the website says, I was just told we don't need a reservation for fewer than 6. "We'll have a table for you, don't worry."

[Big Grin]

Celaeno
Member # 8562

I'm really excited about this.

Does anyone else need a ride? Right now I'm picking up rivka and Abhi.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so jealous - I missed out on my chance to meet rivka. [Frown]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Me too!

No rides necessary, I get around by flying elephant usually.

esl
Member # 3143

I feel like this should be sorta obvious but I don't know, so: how do we all find each other? Will we be meeting up at the restaurant before sitting down? Now I'm envisioning calling rivka and waving my arms around to no avail..

P.S. Yes, this will be exciting!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.