FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Never Forget (Holocaust denial) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Never Forget (Holocaust denial)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
In the mid eighties when I was a missionary in Austria I visited Mathausen, a Nazi era concentration camp which has been made into a Holocaust memorial.

When my companion and I boarded the bus to Mathausen we met up with a couple of young American women, one of whom was Jewish. They were also going to see the memorial and so we spent most of the day with them.

As were returning on the bus to Linz, I commented to our new American aquaintances that I was dismayed that growing up in the US I had not learned that 12 million people were killed in the Nazi Concentration camps, I had only learned that 6 million Jews were killed. I remarked that I would like to see the deaths of that other 6 million remembered equally to the Jewish deaths and was taken back when my new Jewish friend found this deeply offensive. The more we discussed it the more shocked I became. She insisted that the Jews had been the only group that had been targeted. Everytime I pointed out another group like gypsies, polish aristicrats, homosexuals, jehovah's witnesses and so on who had been systematically targeted by the Nazi's, she had a reason for why the Nazi's had a good reason to target those groups so they couldn't be compared to the Jews.

Since that time I have had similar discussions with a number of Jews and although their responses have never gone to the extreme of implying that the other 6 million somehow deserved to die, their response is always atleast qualitatively the same. Whenever I suggest that I would like to see it commonly reported that 12 million people were killed in the holocaust, 6 million of whom were Jews, I am suddenly suspected to be an anti-semite. In various ways, all the Jews I discussed this with have agreed that my statement somehow depreciated what the Jewish people suffered.

This is an attitude I have as yet been unable to understand. To me, recognizing that many different people were targeted by the Nazi's makes the crime more universal. It becomes a crime against all humanity rather than solely a crime against Jews. Recognizing the breadth of the Holocaust makes it more personal to me because I see how easily anyone who is different can be the victim of such hatred. Everyone of us has at some place or time been the outsider, the minority, the different persons. In that sense, the Holocaust is not solely a crime against Jews, its a crime against every human being who might ever be seen as different. It makes me more vigiliant against negative stereotypes, intolerance and hatred directed against any group.

I have sensed in some of the Jews I spoke with a jealous sense of ownership of the Holocaust. It seemed that perhaps the Holocaust was a crucial defining part of the their Jewish self image. To suggest that others might have suffered equally under the terror of the Nazis somehow eliminated a part of what made them unique as Jews, hence the idea must be anti-semitic.

So my question to both the Jews and Goyim of hatrack is this, can you help me understand why so many Jews resist equal acknowledgement of the 6 million non-Jews who died in the Nazi concentration camps. Must acknowledging that other groups may have suffered similarly necessarily belittle the suffering experienced by Jews or could such acknowledgement bring about a greater empathy and compassion for all who suffer.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack, my post got eaten. Suffice to say I agree with you Rabbit, and actually this is the first I'm hearing about objections such as those.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot understand that.
No one deserves to be targetted for elimination. I don't think looking at the other 6 million that died belittles what Jewish people went through. It only shows you just how horrible the Nazis were and why nothing like that should ever happen again!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Many people still harbor strong predjudices against the other targeted groups: Communists, Roma, Gays, Jehovah's Witnesses etc.
Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I always, when this subject comes up, mention, briefly, the mortality rates for the Russians, the endless slaughter...
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
But people are still prejudiced against Jews... It never makes sense to me.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
I always, when this subject comes up, mention, briefly, the mortality rates for the Russians, the endless slaughter...

I don't have the same objection to people who distinguish the holocaust victims from other victims of war. I am conflicted in answering responding to this post because I do not want to imply being killed in combat somehow makes your death less bad. An unimaginably large number of lives were lost in WW II. According to Wikipedia, 62 million civilians and soldiers lost their lives in the war. Everyone of them was a tragedy (with the possible exception of a few in the German high command).

But still, there is a difference between the Russian soldiers and civilians killed in combat and those who died in the Holocaust. Both war and deliberate genocide should be seen as crimes against humanity, but they aren't the same crime.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PrometheusBound:
Many people still harbor strong predjudices against the other targeted groups: Communists, Roma, Gays, Jehovah's Witnesses etc.

I don't think that's all though, as there are still many people who harbour prejudice against Jews.

I'm pretty sure that the people you've met , Rabbit, feel that full acceptance of the other Holocaust victims sidelines the fact that Jews were the most vastly affected.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Those people are just being stupid. Seriously.

I go to a Jewish private school and we took a class on Holocaust studies and we learned extensively about all of the different groups that were targeted and that Nazis just had a hatred for people that are different, and just had a stronger hatred of Jews, not that Jews were exclusively hated.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I'm pretty sure that the people you've met , Rabbit, feel that full acceptance of the other Holocaust victims sidelines the fact that Jews were the most vastly affected.
Were they? Jews were by far the largest group targeted by the Holocaust but the evidence I've seen suggested that other targeted groups were affected in very similar ways. Certainly, every person who slaved in the forced labor camps suffered in very similar ways and every person who died in the Holocaust is equally dead whether they be Jewish or not.

I'm not sure at all how acknowledging that 12 million human beings died in the Nazi holocaust sidelines the crimes committed against Jews. Do people have such limited mental facilities that they can't recognize both simultaneously.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, on the whole, I agree with you. The only difference I can see is that it's not clear to me that the systemized, assembly-line methods would have been invoked absent the Jews. Certainly, prior to the Wannsee conference, Jews and non-Jews were being killed in the tens of thousands by mobile killing units.

After that though, the rate increased enormously, and the machinery of the entire state had been incorporated into the national policy to wipe out an entire peoples. The logistical machinery of death was mobilized with the specific intent of murdering Jews.

That an equal number of others were caught up in the machinery is tragic. From an individual perspective, each death was as tragic and meaningful as any other.

On a smaller scale, if a Rosewood-like mob was spurred into action by racist anti-black demagoguery, but the mob, once started, also attacked the equal-sized Jewish settlement next door, the victims would all be equally important and worthy of remembrance. But there would be something about the incident particular to black people that would be worthy of analysis, special mention, and elegy.

But that would be an additional thing to bear witness to, not something to take away from memorials to all the victims.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
Those people are just being stupid. Seriously.

I go to a Jewish private school and we took a class on Holocaust studies and we learned extensively about all of the different groups that were targeted and that Nazis just had a hatred for people that are different, and just had a stronger hatred of Jews, not that Jews were exclusively hated.

I'm glad to here it Gaal. I'm certain that my experience does not reflect the views of all Jews and hope that it is indeed a minority view. I will admit its not something I've ever discussed with my closest Jewish friends. When I've heard opinions that shock me, I tend shy away from the subjects with my closest friends. If they should happen to share those views, I'd really rather not know.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's the impression I was left with.

quote:
...Nazis just had a hatred for people that are different, and just had a stronger hatred of Jews, not that Jews were exclusively hated.
I agree; Hitler had used existing antisemitism in Germany in his rise to power, and once called the plan that eventually became the Holocaust "the Final Solution to the Jewish Question." You get the impression from reading about Hitler that his hatred for Jews was particularly intense, and many laws that were passed in the lead-up to the genocide were aimed directly at the Jewish population.

Or, now that I've refreshed the page, what Dag said.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
We were the primary target. The camps were created to exterminate us. Once they had them, they were useful for killing others, and were used for that. This in no way lessens the tragedy that happened to others who were murdered by the Nazis, but it's ridiculous to say that since we died and they died, it's all the same. It isn't.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
It's ridiculous? Really? Ridiculous? Are you positive?

It's not all the same, but it isn't ridiculous to suggest that it is very much the same. Murder, for whatever motive, is very much the same act all over.

I'm trying to understand why it's ridiculous to say that the act of exterminating those twelve million people was a single tragedy. It's a single, incalculable tragedy. If you split an incalculable tragedy into two, it still gives you two impossibly tragic events. Also, it was perpetrated by the same people, and for the same reasons. Not the same, never EXACTLY the same, but very much in a similar vein. Just because you suggest (and I don't that this is accurate) that the camps were made specifically for the Jews and with no other purpose in mind, that doesn't make the tragedy worse in my mind.

Is it a badge of honor? Is it an important thing to remember that the holocaust was "owned" by the Jews in some way, and that they have some sort of claim to the full burden of that act? I think it's most important to remember that irrational hatred and fear of an out-group of any kind could lead to this thing. Why does that out-group have to be, specifically, the Jews and most importantly them?

And think about the murderers that did this. Do you think that they saw the murders of Jews any differently from the murders of countless others? What I mean is, do you think that the others were so unimportant to the Nazi worldview that these camps would NEVER have been constructed if the jews had not existed? Their platform only targeted the jews because they needed a very clear and visible scapegoat. The fear and hate was all irrational and insane, and the idea that the Jews were so important in developing this way of looking a the world seems a little backwards to me. I think the Nazis (or some other similar party) could have taken control on a platform that blamed some other group for all of Germany's problems.

Of course we know from a most basic study of history that Germany's own jingoist imperialism, and its embarrassment and degradation at the hands of western Europe in the beginning of the 20th century that led to the Third Reich. The Jews were not the source of all of this, they were a very prominent scapegoat for it. It's important to remember that, but it isn't ridiculous to suggest that Germany would have gone down that path if the Jews hadn't been an easy target to begin with. It so happened that they were, but isn't the whole thing basically irrational? Isn't there no concievable reason for exterminating a whole people?

Edit: I hasten to add that history will forget many of the details of the Holocaust. There have been greater tragedies on Earth (not many) and there will be greater ones in the future, and we will forget much of this one. When we do, I hope that it will be because everything we could learn from it has been learned, and that remembering it in its gory specifics would be a futile and disturbing exercise. This could take an incredibly long time- films that still depict the gory death of Jesus are still popular, and people still claim to be able to learn relevant lessons from that. But still, I know that one day, if we continue on into the future, we will have to forget WWII and most everything about it. But when that happens, I hope it will be because we don't need to remember.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget that the concentration camps were initially designed for the undesirables; the political activists, trade-unionists, gypsies, homosexuals etc. Literally as places to concentrate detractors and enemies of the "Glorious Third Reich".

The death camps came later and were aimed at solving the "Jewish Problem", after the ghettos, expulsions and "mobile units" had been seen to fail.

If anyone is interested I thoroughly recommend "Auschwitz: The Nazis & the 'Final Solution'" from the BBC. It's a series of documentaries that cover the Final Solution form the rise of Nazism through to the liberation of the camps. The most illuminating ascpect of the series are the interviews with survivor, from BOTH sides. Seeing a snowy haired Grandpa justifying his actions in the death squads is chilling to the core. I think we've all seen or read descriptions from the actual victims, but to hear from those who perpetrated the crimes is something new to me at least, and wholly shocking.

I became interested in this after visiting the Bergen-Belsen site inthe 90's. It's a sobering thing to wander around a landscaped park dotted with little mounds, only to realise that each mound bears a plaque bearing a dedication such as "Here lie 6000 dead".

Personally, I don't think that the Holocaust can be owned by any one group. The Jews were by far and away the largest section of the population who were effected, and the horros of the Final Solution were dreamed up with them in mind, but in my opinion it is more important that we remember that it happened, and it was a crime against humanity as a whole rather than solely against one group or race.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind..."

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that equal significance should be placed on remembering and acknowledging all the people who were harassed, beaten, enslaved, and killed at the hands of the Third Reich. Too many people barely know the details of the Holocaust as it is; we have to put equal stress on those who were killed for being undesirable as well as being Jewish. No one in my history classes knew the Nazis killed and harassed people other than the Jews, and even then, it was barely even mentioned in the textbook and in discussion.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
Don't forget that the concentration camps were initially designed for the undesirables; the political activists, trade-unionists, gypsies, homosexuals etc. Literally as places to concentrate detractors and enemies of the "Glorious Third Reich".

Thought this was significant. This seems to match my recollection of my history readings, although I've never went out of the way to double-check it.

The Holocaust was a great tragedy, but I always find it distasteful when *anyone* tries to distort history to make a point.

The Nanking Massacre is a similar event that suffers from a similar polarization and attempts at distorting it by both sides.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are times when it would be impolite for these discussions to take place. Mentioning it to a Jew on the way back from a memorial, is probably not the best of times.

I think part of it was how Jews were classified by Nazis. It was genetic to them. One grandparent on either side of the family was all it took. Converts into Christianity, or even those not born Jewish by Jewish standards would still be shipped off. They wanted to wipe out the Jewish bloodline. A Jehovah's Witness could probably hide out as a Catholic or Protestant a lot easier. (Especially considering their role in helping save Jewish lives.)

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I don't think that the Holocaust can be owned by any one group.
Sure, it belongs to the Nazis.

I didn't know there were 12 million total victims. I always thought it was 5 million Jews and a smattering of other minorities. Even so, I'd agree with the verbiage that Jews were the principal victims. Trying to say that equal numbers of other minorities died is innaccurate, since lumping them together discounts the uniqueness of those minorities.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we've gone down the wrong road when we start to comparing who got the worst of the Holocaust. That conversation degrades the entire atrocity. It was a black eye for all of humanity and everyone ought to learn.

This being said, while a lot of people killed, were killed, tortured, and were tortured, different people perpetrated or suffered these crimes for different reasons, and studying the different reasons of all parties seems the best way to go.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
It's ridiculous? Really? Ridiculous? Are you positive?

Hmm... let me think... <ponders> Yes. I'm positive. It's ridiculous.

quote:
It's not all the same, but it isn't ridiculous to suggest that it is very much the same.

Nor did I say otherwise.

quote:
Just because you suggest (and I don't that this is accurate) that the camps were made specifically for the Jews and with no other purpose in mind, that doesn't make the tragedy worse in my mind.

Tough. The German idea of extermination was first and foremost an idea to exterminate the Jews. If you don't understand that, it's your lack of understanding that's at issue -- not the facts.

quote:
Is it a badge of honor? Is it an important thing to remember that the holocaust was "owned" by the Jews in some way, and that they have some sort of claim to the full burden of that act?

It was the culmination of 18 centuries of vicious anti-semitism, most of which was perpetrated by Christians and furthered by the various churches. There's a context here, Orincoro. None of the other groups murdered by the Nazis had that kind of history there. So yes, it's very important to keep alive the memory of what happened, and what the result of that kind of vicious hatred is.

quote:
I think it's most important to remember that irrational hatred and fear of an out-group of any kind could lead to this thing. Why does that out-group have to be, specifically, the Jews and most importantly them?

Because Christianity and Islam account for billions of people in the world. Both have a significant history of Jew-hatred and Jew-murder, though Christianity has been much, much worse. Both of them expected Jews to abandon our religion and join theirs, and both got really, really nasty when we didn't. And while most Christians have grown up over the past 60 years, the seeds of that murderousness still exist in Christianity, just as they always did, and it's appropriate for the object lesson to be held up to them. The fact that it was not Christianity which perpetrated the Holocaust makes it a little easier to hold that object lesson up to Christians. None of them seem to want to take any responsibility for the various pogroms and massacres and inquisitions and expulsions and kidnappings and forced conversions that were perpetrated by Christians, but they can all pretty much agree that what the Nazis did was bad.

quote:
And think about the murderers that did this. Do you think that they saw the murders of Jews any differently from the murders of countless others?

Yup. I sure do. There were no conspiracy theories about Gypsies or homosexuals or Slavs taking over the world and polluting the master race. It was assimilated Jews who intermarried with Germans -- not Gypsies.

quote:
What I mean is, do you think that the others were so unimportant to the Nazi worldview that these camps would NEVER have been constructed if the jews had not existed?

That's correct.

quote:
Their platform only targeted the jews because they needed a very clear and visible scapegoat.

One which all of Europe had a good, solid history of hating. Thanks to our good friends, the Christians.

quote:
The fear and hate was all irrational and insane, and the idea that the Jews were so important in developing this way of looking a the world seems a little backwards to me.

It didn't seem strange to centuries of European Christians, Orincoro. It was what they learned in Church all the time. Jews were deicides. Children of the devil.

quote:
Edit: I hasten to add that history will forget many of the details of the Holocaust. There have been greater tragedies on Earth (not many) and there will be greater ones in the future, and we will forget much of this one. When we do, I hope that it will be because everything we could learn from it has been learned, and that remembering it in its gory specifics would be a futile and disturbing exercise. This could take an incredibly long time- films that still depict the gory death of Jesus are still popular, and people still claim to be able to learn relevant lessons from that. But still, I know that one day, if we continue on into the future, we will have to forget WWII and most everything about it. But when that happens, I hope it will be because we don't need to remember.

That'd be great. Personally, speaking from the inside, I'm sick and tired of hearing about the Holocaust. Because while it's a valuable object lesson to people on the outside, the only lesson we need to learn from it is to fight back, and I think there are better ways to learn that.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes since Jews are the chosen of God the deaths of the others are only worth 3/5 as much. Making the total deaths 3.6 million, of which we must acknowledge that the gays, and Polish aristocracy had it coming, the communists were legitimate enemies and the Jehovah's witnesses had to go. Lisa is right it was a uniquely Jewish experience to face extinction at Nazi hands...

What was that? The Jews never faced extinction but the Polish Aristocracy did? Well still they where the leaders of an enemy state not the Chosen of God, sheesh...

Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
None of the other groups murdered by the Nazis had that kind of history there.
Gypsies faced political campaigns of extermination and deportation for just as long as the Jews, and for many of the same reasons.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Autistic children were routinely killed or exposed for several centuries; that's where the belief in fairy changelings comes from.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Jewish responses to the Porrajmos

Interesting reading.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting Scott.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: Actually, both christianity and islam have centuries of history of killing gays and lesbians as well.

Christianity has mostly gotten over it, but still has some problems (if someone wants debate that *again* let's take it to another thread) but islam still murders us, officially, with state sanction, to the cheers of the crowd.

We were part of the holocust as much as Jews were. That's why two of our symbols are pink or black triangles.

(edit: Clarity)

[ February 13, 2007, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
None of them seem to want to take any responsibility for the various pogroms and massacres and inquisitions and expulsions and kidnappings and forced conversions that were perpetrated by Christians, but they can all pretty much agree that what the Nazis did was bad.

None of us want to take responsability for these things for the same reasons modern day Jews don't want to take responsability for the death of Christ:

We didn't actually, with our own hands, do anything like that.

Counter Bean
Member # 10176

Interesting Article, I remember a BBC report a few years ago that described how British Socialist programs for Gypsy's had destroyed their way of life by paying them to settle in one area so that two whole generations have lived in one location and never wandered about in a traditional manner. I find that ironic, I do not see how that applies to the Jews since being Jewish was considered a matter of Genetics... unless one subsidized out breeding with conversion to Christianity, paying Jews to marry non Jews and raise children as Christians with much less significant penalties for remaining enclosed in a Jewish society might have never raised a blip on the international radar. Perhaps the result would have been more detrimental to Jewish identity then a Holocaust, because it would have eliminated both the Jewish identity and the need for a Jewish State.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Rabbit, on the whole, I agree with you. The only difference I can see is that it's not clear to me that the systemized, assembly-line methods would have been invoked absent the Jews. Certainly, prior to the Wannsee conference, Jews and non-Jews were being killed in the tens of thousands by mobile killing units.

After that though, the rate increased enormously, and the machinery of the entire state had been incorporated into the national policy to wipe out an entire peoples. The logistical machinery of death was mobilized with the specific intent of murdering Jews.

That an equal number of others were caught up in the machinery is tragic. From an individual perspective, each death was as tragic and meaningful as any other.

On a smaller scale, if a Rosewood-like mob was spurred into action by racist anti-black demagoguery, but the mob, once started, also attacked the equal-sized Jewish settlement next door, the victims would all be equally important and worthy of remembrance. But there would be something about the incident particular to black people that would be worthy of analysis, special mention, and elegy.

But that would be an additional thing to bear witness to, not something to take away from memorials to all the victims.

Dag has the best post in this thread, so far.

For the record, most of the Jews of my acquaintance are aware that other groups were targeted in addition to the Jews. I have never heard Jews I know express the sentiment that any of the Nazi murders were justified.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
None of them seem to want to take any responsibility for the various pogroms and massacres and inquisitions and expulsions and kidnappings and forced conversions that were perpetrated by Christians, but they can all pretty much agree that what the Nazis did was bad.

None of us want to take responsability for these things for the same reasons modern day Jews don't want to take responsability for the death of Christ:

We didn't actually, with our own hands, do anything like that.

And none of us, nor any of our ancestors, did anything to your fictional deity. It's not quite the same thing. Furthermore, the theology that murdered so many Jews is still there. We're simply fortunate that so many Christians no longer act on it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Counter Bean:
Yes since Jews are the chosen of God the deaths of the others are only worth 3/5 as much.

Weren't you banned?
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Furthermore, the theology that murdered so many Jews is still there. We're simply fortunate that so many Christians no longer act on it.
I find this interesting, given your statements concerning theological/scriptural standards and/or punishments that are not in effect now, but might be at some future time (like, for instance, when a proper Sanhedrin is functioning).
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

In any case, Lisa, there's the reason that most Christians don't take "responsability" for the Inquisition and other atrocities commited by religions throughout the ages.

We're disassociated from that particular interpretation of scripture-- calling us to take responsability for something that hasn't been believed or practiced by the majority of the Christian world in more than 100 years is ridiculous.

Do you still think it's necessary for today's Christians to "take responsability" for the atrocities committed by men hundreds of years ago?

How far back shall this responsability go?

What does this responsability entail?

Are YOU willing to take responsability for the religions and cultures that the Jews persecuted and destroyed?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Furthermore, the theology that murdered so many Jews is still there.
Really? Specifically which portions of theology?

Oh, and thanks, Ela.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, the phrase "fictional deity" made me giggle.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Furthermore, the theology that murdered so many Jews is still there. We're simply fortunate that so many Christians no longer act on it.

++

Huh, I actually agree with Lisa for once.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know the Jews were supposed to have killed the FSM and IPU. I really should keep better track of this stuff. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, just like the theology that led Jews to wipe out peoples in their travels is still out there. We're fortunate Jews no longer act on that.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I'd like to see the specific, still-widely-held-by-Christians theology she's referring to.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
If she can tell me what Christian theology means, I can tell her what Jewish theology means.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

That was not Theology! That was direct instruction from God! When God tells you to commit genocide and steal the property and civilization of a people (and turn their nubile virgins into sex slaves) you do it! To call it theology demeans the divine nature of the process, God used those people to build the Jews cities after using the stability and hospitality of Egypt to build their numbers, (paying the Egyptians back with ruin, looting and infanticide) in other words those people had served God's purpose in the plan for the Jews and were disposable, they where lucky that they got to exist at all.

Comparing God's plan to Hitler's is Blasphemy! God choosing breeding stock to create a master race is nothing like the Aryan Doctrine of the Nazis! (of course maybe the Nazi's were trying to avoid a copyright infringement lawsuit with the holocaust... Hmmm...)

Scott R
Member # 567

That's not how Jatraqueros act, even when other Jatraqueros DO act like that.

Knock it off, CB/BC.

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Sure, just like the theology that led Jews to wipe out peoples in their travels is still out there. We're fortunate Jews no longer act on that.

++

Very true too. We're all saying true things. [Wink]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
In any case, Lisa, there's the reason that most Christians don't take "responsability" for the Inquisition and other atrocities commited by religions throughout the ages.

We're disassociated from that particular interpretation of scripture-- calling us to take responsability for something that hasn't been believed or practiced by the majority of the Christian world in more than 100 years is ridiculous.

Characterizing it as "more than 100 years" is ridiculous. The Catholic Church didn't even start backing down from its anti-semitism until the 1960s. Get some historical perspective, would you? Do you think that nineteen centuries of viciousness evaporates because of 40 years of moderation?

quote:
Do you still think it's necessary for today's Christians to "take responsability" for the atrocities committed by men hundreds of years ago?

When I hear a Christian say, "Yes, that's what Christianity said, but we don't look at it that way anymore," I can accept that. When I hear Christians denying that it was anything but bad or mistaken people doing things that weren't justified by Christianity, it tells me that they're just trying to avoid the truth.

quote:
Are YOU willing to take responsability for the religions and cultures that the Jews persecuted and destroyed?

You mean the Canaanites? Sure I will. I'm proud of it. God told us to destroy them, and we did. The only thing we did wrong was in not completing the job fast enough, and we paid the price for that.

I'm consistent, you see. Now, you can say that God told the Inquisition to burn Jews alive. If you do that, then I say it's a lie, or that any religious claim that God commanded any such thing is blasphemy. But Christians are kind of stuck here, because they can't give Jews a hard time for wiping out the Canaanites. They also believe it's what God commanded.

Counter Bean
Member # 10176

That is how we debate, not act, action is very different for idle chat on a blizzard day.
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

See... the difference is that Jews really are the 'Master Race' with a direct pipeline to God. It is so obvious...
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
But Christians are kind of stuck here, because they can't give Jews a hard time for wiping out the Canaanites. They also believe it's what God commanded.

Or, for some of us, we believe it is what the Jews believed God commanded. Not the same thing.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
Furthermore, the theology that murdered so many Jews is still there.
Really? Specifically which portions of theology?
  • "Pharisees and scribes, hypocrites".
  • The Jews' holy scriptures predicted a god/savior/messiah and they rejected him when he came
  • Jews (or at least Jewish leaders) were responsible for the murder of said god/savior/messiah
That do you?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.