FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack March Madness Pick'em (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack March Madness Pick'em
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I started a Hatrack group.

Selection Sunday's a week away!

Go Heels!

And this year, when you make a bracket on Yahoo!, you're automatically entered to win prizes.

[edit: Duh again. The group number is 31575, and the password is [whispers]Hatrack[/whisper].

[ March 04, 2007, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the group ID number?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to lose again. I seem to be really good at sucking something awful at these brackets. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I need someone to keep me out of the basement this year, and since Wisconsin and Marquette are doing so well, it probably won't be Jeni. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
It would take a lot more than Wisconsin and Marquette doing poorly to keep you out of the basement anyway. [Wink]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW George Mason sucks this year so whatever you do don't pick them.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

George Mason is a win away from getting the CAA automatic berth. I'd say they're playing good basketball at the right time of the year.

Still think they'll be out in the first round even if they do win tomorrow. And if they do, I think Old Dominion can say goodbye to any hope of an at-large spot in the tourney.

And Jeni, all it takes to keep me out of the basement is for UNC to play well*. [Razz]

*(see: 2005 Hatrack March Madness [1st place]) (see also: 2006 Hatrack March Madness [9th of 12, UNC upset by none other than George Mason in second round]

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do a bracket every year as a traditional family thing with my father. I have very little interest in basketball, but I'll throw in for old time's sake.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

*bump*

Tomorrow!

brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. Thanks for setting this up. Now that I work from home and not an office, I miss out on these things.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a fair bet this year to bet against Big East teams early and often.

Just sayin'.

Our conference got hammered in the offseason by graduation and the NBA draft. 11 of the top 40 draftees were from the Big East, and every team lost at least two of their top three scorers.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

But of those 11, 8 were from teams who aren't even in the tournament this year. Your point makes little sense. [Razz]

On the other hand, Georgetown and Louisville are two of the hottest teams in the country and the Big East sports 5 ranked teams (even though the middle of the pack and bottom are relatively weak).

The Big East also went 8-7 against the ACC this year...no small feat, seeing as the ACC has 7 out of its 12 teams in the tourney (and three more who were only a win away).

Frisco
Member # 3765

Wow, I just got through a "gut instinct" run of the first round, and I could only think of 10 "locks".

I have a feeling I'm going to outthink myself right out of contention. [Razz]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really know much about basketball so I just picked based on names I like.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I do that at horse races, and it's surprisingly profitable.
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
But of those 11, 8 were from teams who aren't even in the tournament this year.
My point, Frisco, was exactly that. The Big East got hit hard this year by personnel depletions, and was a weaker conference overall. Teams that were dominant last year were not nearly as good this year, bringing the level of competition in the whole conference down.

UConn isn't even a conference factor this year and might not even go to the NIT.

Villanova, which was a 1 seed last year, dropped to a 9 seed and 9th in the conference this year.

Rutgers, who had 19 wins last year, struggled to even get 10 this year.

The conference was depleted heavily at the end of last year, and doesn't have the talent base that it had going into last year's tourney. It played against weaker in-conference competition all year, and isn't exactly its former self.

While there are 5 teams ranked in the Top 25, they aren't exactly powerhouses (at least in my mind... certainly not compared to last year).

As high as G'Town is ranked, who has it beaten out of conference? Against other tourney teams, it's 2-3 (beating a slow-starting Vandy and Oral Roberts, and losing to ODU, Oregon, and Duke).

Pitt has beaten one ranked opponent all year (G'town), and also had a pretty weak nonconference slate.

Louisville managed to go 2-4 against ranked opponents this year, beating only Pitt and Marquette (splitting games with both). And they also had a very weak nonconference schedule.

Notre Dame probably has the most impressive wins, but also has some pretty ugly losses. I mean, they let Nova score 102 points on them in regulation, and are 4-6 on the road (with two of those wins coming against BE bottom feeders Rutgers and Cinci).

I'm not sure where you're seeing an 8-7 record vs. the ACC, though. Do you have a link to that? From my count, the BE was actually 9-4 against the ACC this year... with 6 of those wins coming against those teams that aren't going to the dance.

Now, I'm a big BE fan, but this was a rebuilding year for the conference after losing a massive group of talented players last year.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not the least bit confident in my picks this year... I doubt I'll repeat as champ. I miss living in a place where college basketball is everything in the winter.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Oregon all the way!!!

Or,...well...I hope so, anyway.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I heard a guy from ESPN say that last year, out of all the entries on ESPN online for tournament picks, only four people picked George Mason for the final four. Two were George Mason grads, and one thought he was picking George Washington.

So, sometimes just going with your alma mater on a lark pays off. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about the scoring. If you pick the right team that wins a round but they beat a team that you didn't pick for them to play against, would you still get the points? For example, I pick Team A to beat Team B in the finals. Team A wins the finals, but against Team C. Would I still get the 32 points?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Yep.

And FC, the teams who didn't get hit hard with defections to the NBA are now the ones with upperclassmen-laden rosters. It's cyclical. I think the BE will do okay. Marquette's going to have a tough first round with their starting guard out with a sprained ankle, but Pitt, Georgetown, ND, 'Nova, and Georgetown are, I think, all going to win at least a game.

And the BE's games against the ACC were:

UNC over Rutgers
VT over Seton Hall
WV over NC State
Louisville over Miami
South Florida over Wake Forest
Cincinnati over NC State
FSU over Providence
Georgia Tech over UConn
Maryland over St. John's
Notre Dame over Maryland
Marquette over Duke
Duke over Georgetown
Duke over St. John's
Providence over Boston College
Pitt over FSU

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I didn't see the games played after the start of conference play - and somehow I neglected Seton Hall entirely. Looks like you missed a matchup of DePaul over Wake, too. So, it looks like the BE went 9-7 overall against the ACC - with the only BE win over one of the top 4 teams in the ACC being ND over MD.

I do think that the BE will win a fair amount of their first round matchups, but I don't see any of them going very deep into the tourney. I'm not expecting any in the Final Four certainly, and probably not in the Elite Eight either (aside from perhaps G'town if they get lucky).

There is a huge amount of young talent in the conference though. While it is cyclical to a certain extent, this year was a particularly deep dip - mainly because we lost a lot of juniors and even sophomores last year.

I can't wait to watch though - I'll be rooting for the BE teams, though I'll likely be thinking them underdogs more often than not. [Big Grin]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah - what happened to George Mason?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Three of the BE's wins are over ACC tourney teams, though, compared to one of the ACC's.

And I still disagree about the talent pool in the Big East. Out of 16 teams and over 250 roster spots, the BE lost 6 underclassmen to the draft. Two of them were from perennial non-contenders Rutgers and South Florida.

Cincinnati, 'Nova and UConn had the others.

So five of the six tourney teams are flush with upperclassman leadership. Jeff Green, Aaron Gray, and Russell Carter are a few of the best players in the college game right now, and all are capable of leading their teams to deep runs.

I think you're trying to sabotage peoples' brackets with all this BE negativity. [Razz] If any conference is down, it's the SEC this year. And I see more of the ACC bowing out early than the Big East.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really worried about the SEC. Yes, I picked em all over the place, but they were totally homer picks. Expect me to come in last.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Woah - what happened to George Mason?

A .500 conference record probably stopped them from making the NCAA or NIT tournament. ODU (my bro's alma mater) and VCU made it from the CAA.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Maybe I just have overall NCAA negativity this year. [Dont Know] Many of the games I've seen (mostly BE games) have been sloppy.

You're right, though, in that there are 16 teams and over 250 roster spots in the BE, but between graduation and the draft it seems like so many of the best of them left.

Last season, there were twelve players who scored 16.0 or more points per game, this year there are six. Of the top 20 scorers from last year, only 2 names still show up in the top 30 from this year.

Last season, seven players shot better than .400 from behind the arc, this year there are three. There were 10 players who hit 2.5 or more 3's per game, and this year there are 5.

Still, the FG% went up slightly from last year, average team scoring remained relatively constant, and defensive numbers remained relatively constant. Maybe it's better that there are fewer superstars, if it means better team play? Or maybe the averages are constant... but against teams that aren't as good.

I don't know. It just feels to me that the Big East has a bunch of solid, but not outstanding teams. I can't look at any of them and honestly say to myself that they are one of the best eight teams in the country.

Still, though, I'd love to see G'town or Pitt win it. Just as long as it isn't Notre Dame... [Big Grin]

Belle
Member # 2314

Well, my picks are in. It's a halfhearted effort, honestly I'm not into it this year as most years. Still, March Madness is the best college sports thing going.

I manage a pool for my mother's workplace, and I'm thinking of letting my six year olds into the mix by letting them pick teams. (We do it for fun, not money, and bragging rights, of course.) I'd love to see how they do, just picking names at random. [Razz]

Edit: Well, Abigail, my six year old picked her brackets just now. (she's home because she had some detal work done this morning.) She actually did pretty well, considering I refrained mightily from coaching her, I really did. [Smile]

Her final four is: Winthrop, Kansas, Boston College, and Ohio State. She picked Boston College to win it all. When I asked her why she liked Boston College she said that college players were probably better because they were bigger and older. Then I told her every player in this was in college and she said "Oh."

[ROFL]

[ March 14, 2007, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. Working on my bracket now.

GO KANSAS!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, but I haven't entered my picks yet...gotta do that tonight. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I guess no tie for me and Farmgirl this year. [Razz]
Verloren
Member # 9771

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, even though I have no idea how most of these teams play, and actually don't care - but since I "had" to fill out a bracket for work, I figured I'd join in the fun here too [Wink]

-V

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Her final four is: Winthrop, Kansas, Boston College, and Ohio State. She picked Boston College to win it all.
Well, I have Boston College getting knocked out RIGHT NOW as they face Texas Tech. Because I've seen Texas Tech play (but know nothing about the Boston College team.

But isn't that mascot for Wake Forest (show on the floor of the court this game is being played on) a funny looking mascot? Who came up with that, I wonder?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
The Demon Deacon is indeed a strange mascot....

In the meanwhile... it appears Stanford forgot to show up for the first half of their game.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Seems like. Ah well, I picked Louisville to be upset... but I picked Texas A&M to win in the next round anyway, so I don't think it will matter if the 'Ville wins.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Luckily, I didn't pick them! [Smile]

We have a 47" HD TV hooked up here at work. I love working in IT! *grin*

FG

Frisco
Member # 3765

I have L'ville in my Final Four. [Razz]

That quarter of the bracket will be my undoing, I think...I have a #9 and a #6 in my Elite Eight.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

I picked Tech over BC, but I figured either one was likely to lose to Georgetown.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, crap. Start my bracket with a loss. That makes me sad.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

Yup, that Stanford upset is looking a little bit unlikely to happen...

Oh well, the good news is that I can start my chant now!

A - C - C!
A - C - C!
A - C - C!

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Big 12!
Big 12!
Big 12!

[Wink]

I started with a loss, but it's now evened out with the Maryland win.

(Oh, and we've also got a TV here, but because of my eyesight and the size of the screen, the audio is all that matters. [Smile] )

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah, at least I had Tech getting beat out the next round by Georgetown, just as you do, Tstorm. So this shouldn't hurt me too terribly bad.
katharina
Member # 827

Yep, I started out with a loss as well.

Maybe I shouldn't have put all the Texas teams to go as far as possible.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

Hmmmm... where are all the upsets?
katharina
Member # 827

2-3

Gyah...

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I picked a lot of upsets.. this is going to be a long tourney....
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.