FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack March Madness Pick'em (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack March Madness Pick'em
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Big scares for OSU and A&M, but those pieces of my Sweet 16 are still intact. :whew:

Now, if only Vandy and G'town can turn it around in the second halves of their games... [Angst]

Edit: And my condolences on the South region of your bracket, Frisco.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the humanity!

Both my big upsets had leads in the final minute, and both managed to bungle free throws and turn the ball over!

*waits patiently for next year*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's alright - I just lost one of my final two.

Ah, well. That's what I get for loving Cinderellas too much.

*sits next to Frisco, offers a beverage*

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
The Vanderbilt win ruined the right side of my bracket. I was perfect on the right side until that game . [Grumble]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Why does Wisconsin always do this to me?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Wow. Didn't see that one coming.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I had Wisconsin losing to Oregon next round anyway, so it wasn't as big of a loss as it could have been.

6 of my Elite Eight are already intact, and 2 are at risk tonight(Kansas and Texas). As long as Texas keeps winning, I'll be in good shape. Once they lose, I'm screwed. [Smile]

[ March 18, 2007, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I did, too, come to think of it.

I just wanted my boys to win for once! They get me all excited - I don't even like basketball - and I start paying attention, just in time for them to dump it.

Every. Gosh. Darned. Year.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
So much for Wisconsin going all the way.

So much for my first place attempt. [Razz]

Now I've got to try for second. Go Texas!

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

So, Texas looks like it's on the way out. I might as well burn my bracket.

While there is a chance that I can still win (if somehow I get all my other picks, and USC wins the title), I somehow doubt it's going to happen. [Frown]

To be optimistic, I'm ranked 2nd in the hatrack group at the moment. [Big Grin]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Texas noooooooo!!! Crap, this is going to ruin my bracket.

Edit: I'm tied with you for 2nd FC and it looks like the Texas game hurt you even more. [Big Grin] Nice. [Evil]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Like I said, might as well burn my bracket.

There are a couple of scenarios where I can still win, but they are very unlikely. They involve either USC or Texas A&M winning it all.

Texas (as a team) just couldn't hang with USC it seems. Durant and Abrams played great - it's just the rest of the team decided not to show up. Durant/Abrams scored 50 points, grabbed 13 boards, and shot 50% from the field (40% from 3)... the rest of the team scored 18 points, grabbed 17 boards, and shot 24% from the field (9% from 3).

Sigh.

Frisco
Member # 3765

I suppose I'm still technically in it, since paper tiger Wisconsin went down, ruining various brackets, and I picked the Rebels to run all over them. [Razz]

Of course, the other paper tiger, OSU, needs to go down for me to have a shot, and UCLA has to reach the championship game.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

At least OSU is a paper tiger that makes free throws. [Razz] [Taunt]

I'm pretty much out, now, since Texas lost. Any teams you want me to root for? I can surely get them to lose by doing so. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Well, I've pored over the scenario generator, and the only way I can win is if

A: UCLA wins the National Championship

and

B: 3 out of the following 5 teams win their Sweet 16 game (Butler, UNC, Georgetown, Texas A&M, Tennessee)

and

C: Either Memphis or Texas A&M reaches the Final Four, or UNC reaches the championship game.

Well, that's not the ONLY way, but it is, sadly, the most likely. So, if you could root really hard for Kansas, USC, and OSU for me, that would be great.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

Roger...will do on KU. [Smile]
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I'm pretty sure that if Kansas wins the finals and Memphis makes it to at least the final four, there's no way I can lose regardless of the other results. [Big Grin]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I still have six of my Elite Eight still in the dance, and so far all the ones I have picked to go to Final Four are still playing.

So maybe there's hope yet...

FG

(edit: and I would never have guessed UNLV to go so far -- but you can't help but like those guys if you watch them play.....)

[ March 19, 2007, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like someone bled all over my bracket. Too much red.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Oregon!!! Woohoo!!!

(I didn't do a bracket, I just want my guys to win it all.)

BTW, anyone have Oregon taking it all? It's a REALLY long shot, I know, but hey, miracles can happen.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

In brighter news (for me, anyway), Rutgers' women plastered East Carolina 77-34 in the first round last night. Hopefully we'll come out firing against Michigan St. tomorrow night, too. Granted, we're a 4 seed playing on the home floor of the 5 seed (I don't see the logic, either), but if we win, we get the privilege of playing 1-seed Duke at UNC Greensboro's campus.

I don't think there's any such thing as neutral courts in women's basketball.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Go KANSAS!

Woot!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, my bracket's even more toasted. The right hand side is essentially a total loss. So much for Texas A&M beaing Memphis... [Grumble]

Would have been kind of cool if Tennessee beat OSU, though. I've got friends who are Tennessee fans who I'm sure are nursing heavy hangovers today.

In women's tourney news, Rutgers' women get to face off again against Duke on Saturday. We lost 85-45 at the start of the year to drop to a 2-3 record. We've ended the year on a 19 of 21 run, though, having beaten five straight Top 25 teams, and are night-and-day better than our 5-5 start. Our players are healthy and playing their best basketball of the year, having already beaten top seeded UConn on their home court in the Big East Tournament.

Best case scenario, I think, is that we win 65-61 or so. Worst case scenario, I think, is that we lose 65-55 or so. It's just a matter of whether our defense (giving up an average of 55 ppg, and holding 12 teams under 50 and 6 under 40) can hold Duke's best-in-the-country offense in check. :fingers crossed:

Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
At least OSU is a paper tiger that makes free throws.
Good call. [Razz]

Watching Tennessee and A&M shoot 47% and 50%, respectively, from the free throw line in 1-point losses was really painful.

Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:

(edit: and I would never have guessed UNLV to go so far -- but you can't help but like those guys if you watch them play.....)

You absolutely can - if they beat your team. [Mad]
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:

You absolutely can - if they beat your team. [Mad]
Here's hoping they won't beat mine! [Eek!]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, all of the six I still had in, of my Elite Eight picks, have made it thus far. So my bracket could still survive in good standing...

..but I was sure worried about North Carolina there for awhile. And I feel asleep before seeing their amazing comeback.

FG

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

W00T!!! Rutgers women beat Duke by 1!!!!!!

[Party]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Well, I think Ohio State just finished off my bracket. My money bracket and the Hatrack one.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Frisco, I finished off KU by rooting for them over UCLA. I hope you're happy. [Cool]

I don't honestly think there's a team left in this that I give two shakes about. 'Twas fun, though, seeing it all unfold. [Smile]

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

[Cry] Oregon didn't win against Florida. Not that I really thought they would win, but it would have been sweet.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm out.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Same thing happens to me every time I do these. I usually do great in the early rounds, in my money bracket I was 2nd when the Sweet 16 started and here I was around 3rd place for most of the time, and then when it comes down to the big games that are worth alot of points, my picks always die out. Last time I'm every picking Kansas to win it all. They always look hot at the start of the tournament and then choke.
Frisco
Member # 3765

Choke? You mean like how my Tarheels missed 22 of their final 24 shots against G-Town?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

UNC should never have let them back in the game. Though it will be interesting to see Hibbert v. Oden in the Final Four.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, heck.

I'm definately out.

[Frown]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been our for ages. I had every one in the Elite Eight wrong except for Georgetown, which I only chose because that's Matt's school.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 9771

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed that my I-have-no-idea-who-these-teams-are bracket is doing so well. I'd say it's beginner's luck, but I've done horribly in previous years. I guess my math teacher was right - it's as hard to get them all right as to get them all wrong (not that I'm 100%, but you know what I mean). BTW, my math teacher in high school (I had the same one all 4 years :whoa:) said he would give an A+ to anyone who got every single question wrong on a test. I don't think anyone ever took him up on the offer [Wink]

-V

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

That wouldn't be so hard with some teachers - the danger is in teachers who like to give partial credit. [Big Grin]

And everyone except for TStorm, cross your fingers for Rutgers tonight. [Wink]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

W00T! Rutgers women are in the Final Four! [Big Grin] *And* we don't have to play UConn again!
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not last anymore!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
I'm amazed that my I-have-no-idea-who-these-teams-are bracket is doing so well.
With the later rounds weighted so heavily and the 2 pre-tourney favorites in the championship game, combined with the unusually low number of upsets, I wouldn't be surprised if every office pool in the country was won by people who don't know much about college hoops. [Razz]

Unfortunately, I think Florida's going to win, so Megan will be victorious with her by-the-numbers bracket.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. I had 31/32 right, was screwed in the sweet sixteen, had 7/8 right in the elite eight, 3/4 in the final four, and 2/2 in the finals.

I did pretty good this year [Smile] Too bad I didn't bet on it.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
This year was easy if you picked all the favorites.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
Its the power of Noah's hair, trust me, no one knows what magical secrets he keeps in there.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I think it will be good if Florida wins, and I think I'll be rooting for them.

I mean, Florida is a solid team that shares the ball and gets everyone involved. They have star players who opted *not* to jump to the NBA, and instead stayed in school another year.

OSU, on the other hand, is the product of the new NBA rule. If not for Greg Oden's presence this year, they would not be in the Championship, and Oden's surely going to jump ship as soon as possible for the NBA.

And, as an aside, Rutgers women are in the championship game against Tennessee! We've been in the tournament 8 out of the last 9 years, and four of those years we lost to Tennessee. Hopefully this will be the year we finally beat them!

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who has been following Greg Oden since he was a high school sophomore who lost to my high school (it was a very big deal, we knocked off two number one teams that season, but it was the last game he lost in high school) I really think he might have done at least a year in college without the rule. I'm not positive, but I think his mother would have encouraged it. I also think Mike Connely has been quite a help to OSU. And I hope they both go pro and make lots of money before they get hurt.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

So, how long as he looked like he was 45? [Razz] He's going to be the only rookie in the NBA to make LeBron James look young.

Seriously, though, I'm not a big fan of players coming out early. As much as I'm all for the NBA's rule to no longer draft kids out of high school, I think it should be extended even further. The NFL requires two years out of high school, for instance.

The vast number of players jumping ship really sends a message, though, that money is all that matters, and an education is an afterthought, if anything.

I can't knock the players, though. Quincy Douby gave up one extra year at Rutgers to go in the first round in a weak draft year. By jumping early, he probably made over a million dollars more than he would have if he'd stayed for his senior year.

He made a good decision for himself and his family, but it really seems like we're incentivizing the decision to drop out of college. Seems strange to me.

So far, women's basketball hasn't suffered from this problem, though there is already talk of superstars like Candace Parker leaving early for the WNBA.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I once heard Jerred Jefferies explain in person why he quit IU after 2 (3?) years. He was raised by a single mom, on a trailer, in rural bloomington. If he'd gone on in college who is to say he wouldn't get hurt. If he finished at IU what would he do? Coach middle or high school basketball and teach gym? Making 30 to 50 thousand a year? But can't you always get a college degree? Why not play for a few years, then go back to college? This is what I always tell my friends who are in areas that they need to be physical but not having a degree doesn't matter too much.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Used to be, someone with athletic ability but a poor economic background would use their skill to get a scholarship so that they could attend college. It was a way to get the education they never could afford on their own.

If Jerred Jefferies had no basketball ability, what would he have given to go to college, get a degree, and come out making upwards of $50k? You talk about that like it's a bad thing, like someone coming from a trailer in rural bloomington with a single mom to a high school basketball coach making $50k is something to be looked down at.

Now, with the "money sports" - it's not enough to get a degree. That's not worthwhile. The goal is no longer to use your athletic ability to get an education. The goal has become to use your athletic ability to get rich quick.

Our priorities need adjusting.

Athletics should be the means of getting an education. Educational facilities shouldn't be the means to make money with athletics.

It's still the way it should be in sports like swimming, track and field, crew, etc. Sports that aren't multimillion dollar industries. Basketball and football have been corrupted, though, with many collegiate sports programs becoming "pro factories" (cough, cough, OSU football, cough) that have no academic rigor whatsoever.

Like I said, though, I can't blame the player who has the opportunity to jump early and make the big money. Especially those that came from economically destitute families.

The players are trying to look out for what's best for them. It's the system that's faulty.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.