FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack March Madness Pick'em (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack March Madness Pick'em
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
brojack17 (whoever you are) -- I think your picks and mine are very similar - and we have the same champ picked. Will be interesting it how it pans out in comparison.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, kat, I've got Texas winning the whole thing. Then again, I'm 4-3 at the moment - I picked two 5-12 upsets and a 6-11 upset that didn't happen.

I'm still in it, though, so long as none of those winners move on to the third round. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I have six wins so far. But Yahoo is sure taking it's time updating the standings. Oh well.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. I'm 7-0 about to be 8-0.

picking upsets just to pick an upset never seems to pan out. The only upset I have on my board for today is VCU over duke. (Ok, so, technically I have michigan staet over marquette, but frankly, 9 over 8 isn't an upset).

I have indiana over zaga, and that one worries me. But I'm in good shape.

I have florida, UCLA, Texas, and ohio state in the final four.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I know...I saw my bracket after I finished, and I realized that I didn't have one seed over 10 coming out of the first round....so I just HAD to stick one in. We'll find out tomorrow if Albany can keep my bracket perfect.

Of course, I have quite a few upsets in later rounds.

But for now, 8-0, and if the scoring margins more or less hold, 12-0 in an hour.

Tonight brings a few interesting matchups, though. I'm pretty confident that Indiana is overrated and that Xavier is underseeded, but there's so much parity this year, anything can happen.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've officially lost - already.

Curse you, Duke!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
*pats self on head*
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

As a Tarheel fan who picked Duke to win tonight...that was a bittersweet game.

Much more sweet than bitter, but a mixture nonetheless. [Razz]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

And that was also the best basketball game I've seen in years.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
brojack17 (whoever you are) -- I think your picks and mine are very similar - and we have the same champ picked. Will be interesting it how it pans out in comparison.

FG

Jack Lyons (nice to meet you)

Great minds think alike

Edit: Only 815 more posts then I can formally introduce myself.

[ March 15, 2007, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: brojack17 ]

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I only picked Duke to win two games, knowing it's a down year for them, but I didn't expect them to lose to VCU! Good job, to the VCU team....but that bites.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, are you in the Hatrack league?

I'm so pissed about Old Dominion. That was as close to a last minute change as it gets. I changed my pick from Butler to Old Dominion with like a half an hour before they were locked. Darn. Otherwise, I'm happy so far.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just foudn out my picks are incomplete. somehow I missed one first round game. So, my score is all messed up. [Frown] I don't know how I did that. Drat!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, my bracket is useless. The upsets I picked didn't happen, which means the upsets I didn't pick will most certainly happen.

I had Duke beating Pitt (though I almost changed that last night), so that wasn't so good. Even so, though, almost all of my second round winners are still intact.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Looks like you missed a second round game, Belle. Still, it'll only cost you two points.
Frisco
Member # 3765

*wipes forehead*

Xavier squeaked by.

Now they need to play a little better on Saturday, though BYU shot well and played hard.

Gonzaga's loss was disappointing, but at least it only cost me one point.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Marquette and Texas Tech only cost me one game each.

Darned Gonzaga cost me two points. And darned George Wash. also cost me two. Don't know why I picked that one, honestly. Tired, maybe?

I'm somewhat bolstered by my correct pick of VCU over Duke. [Big Grin] Unfortunately, this could well be my only correct pick of an upset.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Gonzaga and GW must've cost you three, if you had them winning another one. Point values double each round.

Xavier almost cost me 7.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

In not in the hatrack league.

Darnit, I didn't have a perfect day [Frown] stupid BYU losing to xavier! I knew I should have listened to Colbert on that one.

15-1 on day one is pretty good though.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I think Duke is going to be the death of me. I had them picked to go all the way to Elite Eight.

But then, I hadn't been following that team at all this year. I just knew historically Coach K has great teams. [Frown]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

Ah, yes. Two games = 3 points. I was thinking in terms of games and not points.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, I'm not doing as badly as I thought I'd be. 12-4 on the day, with no loss messing up a future game (I *did* change my bracket to put Pitt over Duke, it seems... whew... thought I'd changed that back)

I'm still in this... just have to root for A&M over Louisville, MD over Butler, Pitt over VCU, and Vandy over Washington St. [Smile]

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Marquette costed me 15 points. Anyone else lose one of their final four in the first day?
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Only two hours until the most important game of the day!

Wahoo-wah! Wahoo-wah!

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost my CHAMPION in the first day. Duke, you have betrayed me!

Also, it turns out Central Connecticut is not the Conn I had heard of, and Eastern Kentucky is not the Kentucky I had heard of. I am losing miserably.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Actually, Central Connecticut is a lot better than UConn was this year - which is kind of bizarre. UConn didn't make the NCAA tourney, nor did it make the NIT tourney. Then again, after you lose every starter to the draft and graduation, it takes a toll.

A similar fate befell Duke, though they lost slightly less talent and acquitted themselves slightly better throughout most of the season.

katharina
Member # 827

Duke just lost to VCU. They are dead to me.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
Also, it turns out Central Connecticut is not the Conn I had heard of, and Eastern Kentucky is not the Kentucky I had heard of. I am losing miserably.
Yes.... always pay attention to those directionals! [Wink]
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 9771

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be at the bottom of the league right now, but of the 5 I got wrong, I only had 2 going an additional round before losing, so I should catch up to all the rest of you soon (assuming today goes as I hope) [Wink]

-V

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

Go HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

So Notre Dame is learning that it's kind of hard to win if you start 1-14 from three point range and 1-5 from the line. [Roll Eyes]

Sure glad I gave them the benefit of at least one win in the tourney.

I'm also kind of wondering when Wisconsin is going to realize that the game has started.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

What the heck is Winthrop trying to do to my bracket!!!!!
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
kat, Duke blew the whole last 1/3 of the season. what were you thinking? Granted, Krykryzewski (or however you spell it) is assistant God in college basketball. But still. They got embarrassed a couple of times this season.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

I'd just like to point out Wisconsin is currently shooting 13%. I wonder if they can get down into the single digits....
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I'm wondering if they can get their score into the double digits... which do you think will happen first?
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Farmgirl,

Winthrop is trying to make up for what Wisconsin cannot do for me.

If Wisconsin loses now, that'll guarantee a last-place finish for my bracket.

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
My poor bracket. My poor state!

[Cry]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, there's double digits... only took them 16:06.
katharina
Member # 827

This is beyond sad. That's the last time I fill out a bracket based on how at home the school name would be in a blues song.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
Go HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!

"Likely upset pick" indeed. *smirks at the silly pundits who sold the cavs short*

If Reynolds is truly back in form, good things await.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Tstorm-- yeah, but I had picked both Notre Dame AND Wisconsin! I lose all the way around.

[Frown]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

There's still some hope for Wisconsin. Only down by 11 points now.

*hopes*

Carrie
Member # 394

It's only 7 now!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Tie game!
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

As an aside, was anyone playing defense in the Tennesse game? Anyone at all? [Eek!]
Carrie
Member # 394

Evidently not. 121 points?!?! Wow.

And Bucky in the lead - for now...

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I mean, you score 86 points, I'd say there's a fair chance you win the game... unless, of course, you let your opponent score 121.

207 points in regulation... that's gotta be a tourney record.

Carrie
Member # 394

Thank you, Wisconsin, for not failing my bracket. [Smile]
Frisco
Member # 3765

Damn you, Wisconsin! [Razz]

And I love the scenario generator on Yahoo!

If the lower seeds win every remaining game, I will win!

If the higher seeds win them all, I'm in 17th. A more likely scenario.

If UNC and UCLA go to the championship game and UCLA wins, I could lose every other Sweet 16 and Elite 8 game in the whole bracket and still tie for first.

In 99% of situations, UNC could win the championship and I would lose. Badly. And I'd feel like a real moron for not supporting my team.

Man, this thing's a real timesink.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

31-1 in the first round.
I wish I had put serious money on this thing [Frown]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.