FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Death of Captain America (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Death of Captain America
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
RIP Steve Rogers.

Not happy that Marvel choose to kill off Old Cap. He's my favorite Marvel hero. But DC killed off Superman (my favorite comics hero), and maybe (probably) Marvel will bring Cap back eventually. After all, how many time was Cap's enemy the Red Skull supposedly killed, but managed to return. Also, you can't kill off an icon like this. He's still in Marvel's Ultimate universe, and he'll be around forever.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It was my understanding that he had been shot at close range multiple times in the torso, and that he was still possibly alive in a hospital somewhere.

Meh. The Civil War stuff was just a big letdown for me. Seems too much like a heavy-handed real-world political commentary to me, and a slanted one at that.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No. He's been declared dead. Of course, my bet's on the idea that he was deliberately "killed" by SHIELD so that Tony wouldn't have to lock him up.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure it's a disney death. He'll be back to life any day...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I highly doubt Steve Rogers will be resurrected. I also highly doubt that Captain America is a dead character.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure that's where the whole "Winter Soldier" arc was going. I know that, as time passes, references to WWII are getting harder to fit into the timeline; pretty soon, they'll have to do the same thing with Vietnam-based characters. But I also fully expect to see Rogers back within five years.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
two issues that came out on the same day...one were he was declared dead, the other where he is still alive. He will be back in two months...three at the most
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Always a prime news source, The Onion is on top of this important story.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gotten around to the Civil War yet; I'm still living in the Ultimates universe.

Captain America lives!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Stick with the Ultimates stuff, Carrie.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, I dunno. Individual bits of Civil War were worthwhile, and I think the place they wound up has some potential. It's just that the execution of the main mini was seriously lacking.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I decided that if he doesn't stay dead until at least 2010, then it didn't count and was a big waste of time.

I didn' read Civil War, but CapAm 25 was still a good issue. Captain America is a great character, but I would like to see some really good writing that deals with the fallout in a real way... for a long time. Maybe Marvel is trying to turn a new leaf concerning continuity. I don't really care about continuity in comic books - that will never be a focus, and it doesn't really have to be, either. But this could get interesting!

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
I expect the whole arc to be erased by one godlike character with the power to do that kind of stuff.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
So does all this cancel out the Earth X Series ?

[Dont Know] [Laugh] [Blushing]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
So for the next year, we're going to see four new people showing up claiming to be Captain America:
  • One will be a kid, cloned from both Captain America and the Red Skull.
  • One will be a tech-savvy construction worker, who creates a version of Captain America's uniform for himself, because the world needs Captain America
  • One will be a psycho cyborg whose origin is copied shamelessly from a well known DC super-team
  • One will be a robot intelligence who has the real Steve Rogers on ice (no pun intended) somewhere where he can heal and regain his strength.
At least, that's my guess.

[ March 09, 2007, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
God, of course he's coming back.

Heck, I'm sure even the characters themselves have already forgotten how many times they've died already.

Death Becomes Them

Including Jean Grey.

It's all a marketing ploy, don't be fooled!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's marketing, but it could also make a great story!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is kind of awkward for me...BOO!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Millar turned Cap into a big crybaby, anyway.

I say keep him dead until The Avengers movie comes out.

Post-Civil War Marvel comics have been a mixed bag. The revamped Thunderbolts is sort of interesting, as are the new sub-plots in She-Hulk.

But The Mighty Avengers was almost entirely Bendis writing a puff piece about his New Avengers stories, what with Carol raving about how cool and great Luke Cage's team is, and how they X-Treme RebelZ New Avengers are still just totally the best team... [Roll Eyes]

It was almost a relief when Ultrette turned up.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't stand the guy running the Civil War storyline.

And killing Captain America, with what he represents to me, feels like someone burning not one, but every American flag ever made.

And holding a copyright so no more can be made.

I'm angry.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I got burnt out on Civil War to be honest. Something about the heavy political commentary in it and the whole Marvel claiming both sides were portrayed equally when they clearly weren't. It just wasn't as cool or fun as it could be.

As far as Captain America being dead, at most it'll be a few years. I mean the Captain America movie (which is still in early, early planning stages) is supposed to be out around 2010 or so. I doubt it'll even be that long. I mean there are so many explanations (a fake Steve Rogers (like the fakes that Nick Fury used), a super-powered being bringing him back to life, Bucky becoming Cap for a time before the real Cap comes back somehow, etc.). There's just a lot that can be done.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they alluded to the Punisher becoming the next Captain America with the line, "Same soldier, different war." That's my guess anyway.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
I thought they alluded to the Punisher becoming the next Captain America with the line, "Same soldier, different war." That's my guess anyway.

That kind of decision leads to me storming the Marvel office with torches and pitchforks.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Oh, man! That'll be even kewler than when they replaced the Punisher with a hot chick in the 90s, then turned him into an angel! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I can just see it now: "Punisher: Angel of Death" coming soon to a comic store near you. *sigh* Sometimes I miss the status quo in comics. Sure it gets boring at times, but at least it doesn't irritate me with its lame attempts to increase sales for a brief period.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler warnings???
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Gaal, Marvel Comics spoiled this. The day the comic came out, they went to ALL the major media outlets and TRUMPETED it.

So, no. No spoiler warnings, the company that owns the character WANTED it spoiled. [Smile]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Oh. Well that kind of ruins the fun of reading it in the comic. So what's going to happen to the New Avengers with Cap out? And what happened to them when Iron Man and Captain America were fighting in the Civil War thing? Were the New Avengers still together?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The most ironically ridiculous commentary on the death has to be by Colbert.

He tried to make a joke of how Cap died because Cap trying to protect free speech and privacy.

Yet the "free speech and privacy" in this case was the dubious "right" of masked vigilantes to beat other people up because they're "bad guys", and suffer no consequences because nobody knows who they are.

which just shows how unrealistic "realistic" super-hero comics are. [Razz]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

During the Civil War, the New Avengers were of course split. The comic itself revolved around a different character each issue over the course of the Civil War, showing what was happening to them. Now after the Civil War, we've got a split. We've still got the New Avengers (with a similar line-up to the old although with the obvious change of no Cap and no Iron Man), and now we've got the Mighty Avengers led by Iron Man. So yeah, we're back to two Avengers teams, although I hear their stories will intersect within a few months.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Yet the "free speech and privacy" in this case was the dubious "right" of masked vigilantes to beat other people up because they're "bad guys", and suffer no consequences because nobody knows who they are.
I agree, actually. And yet they had to turn Tony Stark into a duplicitous, Orwellian bastard to present him as the bad guy. It was totally unnecessary, and competely at odds with the heroic origins of Stark.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Totally agree, Rakeesh. I was actually on Tony's side in regards to the original issue (the registration act itself), but then they made Tony crazy and evil. I mean look at what lengths he went to. I loved Tony as a character, and Civil War just made me want to hate him.
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Castle as the next Captain America? I don't know what to say... he's not exactly known for not-killing bad guys or for upholding the American justice system...

Anyway, I'm sticking to the Ultimate Universe, and Supreme Power. If Marvel starts to release anything else that's good, please let me know.

Unrelated: Why is The Juggernaut in Excalibur and why does he suck?

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
New Excalibur #1 is actually online-- check out the digital comics page on marvel.com.

If you can abide their crappy reader, that is.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

If I were thinking about starting to read one superhero series from Marvel, which one is a good one to pick up now? Preferably one that isn't too high on the issue number so I can pick up the back issues without too much of a hassle.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Depends on what you like. I'm really liking Moon Knight right now, as it's dark, gritty, and all sorts of crazy. Plus it's only up to seven issues now, I think. It's definitely not for everyone though.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I'm not sure what I like when it comes to comic books. I've never really read alot of comics. I read the whole first volume of Runaways, thanks to a recommendation that I think I got here at Hatrack, and loved it. I read Avengers Disassembled and the first 5 or 6 issues of New Avengers but I wasn't really crazy about it, especially not Disassembled, and a few trade paperbacks I bought, some I enjoyed some I didn't. I'm thinking of trying an individual superhero series. How is the Iron Man one? Or is there a good Doctor Strange series? I used to like him.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I don't know how Iron Man will be in the new future (as I think a new team is taking over? or maybe they already did?). I did like the recent Extremis arc in Iron Man as well as the one that followed it (about Iron Man supposedly killing people). Even the Iron Man Civil War issues were good; they were the few that didn't make him out to be an insane jerk. Post-Civil War though, I don't know what to expect.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
If I were thinking about starting to read one superhero series from Marvel, which one is a good one to pick up now?
If you're familiar with the universe, X-Factor is currently pretty groovy.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I will agree; X-Factor is currently pretty good (I liked the issue a few months back where each team member talked to a psychologist). Also Astonishing X-Men (written by Joss Whedon) is pretty good, and it's not too long either (issue 20 came out last month).
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
The editor for CW, Tom Brooveport, or however his name is spelled, indicated recently that he let the writers of individual comics determine, in their comics, which side was right, which side was wrong, and why. Unfortunately, that was essentially a lazy move - so while in Iron Man, we get to see that Tony's really the hero of both worlds, and in Mighty Avengers, he's trying to help even his unregistered friends else the shadowy higher-ups'll screw every superhero over - In Strazyinski's books, we see him as some scheming sneering villian behind an Iron Mask, and in Frontline we see him as a war profitter without merit or compunction, and essentially a murderer in the eyes of many of the fans, and the title characters of Frontline. Actually there's still an out in that mess for Stark, and it's possible he wasn't the villian half the Marvel writers are trying to paint him into being, but it won't be easy to get him out of the mess they've put him in.

As for Rogers, they've got the one shots coming soon where he's dead, they've got hints that he's in a secret facility recovering under Tony's supervision, and a final conversation between Mr. Stark and Mr. Rogers. My guess is Tony'll try to download/upload? his consciousness and save it on disk - which is what Tony does w/ his own conciousness in a recent Iron Man mini, Hypervelocity. Steve Rogers: Machine Man! or Steve Rogers, clone of Steve Rogers! they'll get it done, somehow. and Brubaker planned killing him from the first, so he'll know how, when and why to bring'im back.

whoo! lot to say about the whole mess.

pfresh85, I'd say this: Expect them to make Mr. Stark look more like OSC every day (isn't that neat how they've done that the past few years, given him the OSC hairdo?) expect him to be freaked out by being written out of existence/replaced by the really hot female Ultron in issue 1 of Mighty Avengers, And expect them to explain that it wasn't/isn't Tony pulling the strings of the Thunderbolts. they're an American superteam of psychopathic murderers, not a UN controlled one. SHIELD under Stark and America should have a falling out - a UN peacekeeping entity, no matter how many Americans it has on the payroll, should be devoted to the World's interests.
I'd mention more, but Battlestar's on soon, so forget it. 's too bad that we've lost so many heroes this week - Kara Thrace, Black Adam's new family, Steve Rogers :-(. ah well.

Oh, and Hulk should probably be important this year, considering Mr. Fantastic, Iron Man, and their crew tried to murder him by sticking him in that ship and setting it's warp core to explode. Oh, and they murdered his new nation, and probably killed his totally hot wife and unborn child. so - yeah. Stark's stress from worldly issues and the loss of his buddy Steve'll mean diddly when Hulk doth Smash.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Runaways

She-Hulk

Young Avengers

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane

Marvel Adventures: The Avengers

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Oh yes, I am looking forward to World War Hulk. Hulk will smash the puny Illuminati.
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend the series Supreme Power (recently turned into Squadron Supreme and moved to Marvel Knights), along with the related 6 issue mini-series's tied to it, Hyperion and Dr. Spectrum.

With the 6 issue mini-series's, about 34 comics to date. It's very self contained, and has nothing to do with the rest of the marvel universe. The original title is in Marvel Max, so it has mature content.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

I adore Runaways. That and BPRD are my two favorite comic series out right now.

Ha, I was having a conversation about Spider-man Loves Mary Jane with a customer (it is a guilty pleasure for both of us), and he described as "Muppet Babies, but as teenagers."
Apt.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Moon Knight #1 is also on Marvel's digital comic list.

It's a good read.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
So for the next year, we're going to see four new people showing up claiming to be Captain America:
  • One will be a kid, cloned from both Captain America and the Red Skull.
  • One will be a tech-savvy construction worker, who creates a version of Captain America's uniform for himself, because the world needs Captain America
  • One will be a psycho cyborg whose origin is copied shamelessly from a well known DC super-team
  • One will be a robot intelligence who has the real Steve Rogers on ice (no pun intended) somewhere where he can heal and regain his strength.
At least, that's my guess.
And clearly, I'm not the only person who thinks like this. Link. Scary, isn't it?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Thanks for that link, Lisa. I got a giggle out of the comic, but then I grew up with comics during the Reign of the Supermen.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Wow. I can't even imagine what that must have been like. I got hooked by Superman 296.

(Edit: not 196; 296. I'm not that old)

[ March 12, 2007, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah. I hadn't read many comics (I mean I was only 8 or so) prior to the Death of Superman. I read that, then went on collecting through Funeral for a Friend, Reign of the Supermen, then into Superman's return. I dropped it shortly after that and started reading other comics instead. It's only been in the last year or two that I've come back to reading Superman again.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.