FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why aren't plates made of wood? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why aren't plates made of wood?
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've found that if you are whirling a corelle storage bowl in a plastic grocery bag, sling like, and the bottom of the bag breaks, sending the bowl into a concrete wall, the bowl tends not to hold up so well.
[ROFL]
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcuttingbd.html

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Metal plates send the heat right through.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
But you could have lovely circular designs burned into your dinner table! Or your flesh!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm... burnt flesh... I mean, I'll stick with porcelin and/or plastic thank you [Smile]

Though just on principle I'd like to own at least one metal plate, maybe a nice pewter...

also, years in scouting taught me that frisbees make both wonderful plates AND bowls... try for yourself and afterwards they double as entertainment.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though just on principle I'd like to own at least one metal plate, maybe a nice pewter...
I have a nice round silver platter. I suppose that counts. I wouldn't use pewter for anything I was actually intending to eat off of, isn't it made with lead? Or am I wrong?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not gonna eat my food out of a Frisbee. It's got dirt on'it!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am waiting for the explanation of how, just as we no longer use wooden plates because they can cause disease etc., we should give up religion because it causes war.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am waiting for the explanation of how, just as we no longer use wooden plates because they can cause disease etc., we should give up religion because it causes war.
Not to mention snarky posts in Internet forums, a far worse scourge than any mere religious warfare.

I ate off a wooden plate at a restaurant yesterday, that's what prompted the question. I wonder if you could treat them, say with a plastic or varnish, so they'd no longer be porous? Or maybe my restaurant uses serious amounts of boiling water to kill the bacteria?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Sorry for the snark; I should have resisted.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I own several aluminum plates that I got from an army surplus store.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a plastic Hello, Kitty bowl.

I have no clear idea where I got it from or how it came to be in my possession.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone read aspectre's links?

It's been over ten years since it was shown that wood effectively destroys bacteria, while knife scarred plastic actually provides a good environment for bacterial growth. I wouldn't use a plastic carving board for anything.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's got dirt on'it!
clearly someone has never been a hungry scout on a camping trip before.

dirt! pshaw!

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, in my country, metal plates are very common. most households use steel plates.

traditional "good" dishware was made out of bronze, copper, silver, gold, or stone.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Not to mention snarky posts in Internet forums, a far worse scourge than any mere religious warfare.

You reap what you sow. Someone who makes snarky--not to mention smug and degrading--posts every time somebody expresses a positive view of religion has no room to complain about this.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a poem once about how ceramics unite humankind.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, I would love to read it.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, but Warning! Old site!

I think I built it in the geocities page builder program. Ha ha ha ha ha!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
quote:

You reap what you sow. Someone who makes snarky--not to mention smug and degrading--posts every time somebody expresses a positive view of religion has no room to complain about this.
Who is complaining? I was observing. Plainly, religion does lead to snarky remarks: If there was no religion, neither my snark nor katharina's would have existed.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
kmboots!=katharina
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Meh, both names begin with a k and belong to female theists.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, what was proved was that if properly cared for that happens...but that most people don't.

I have two different kinds, and I DO use them both properly...and I have not had food poisoning for the 3 years I have had them both.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:

It's been over ten years since it was shown that wood effectively destroys bacteria, while knife scarred plastic actually provides a good environment for bacterial growth. I wouldn't use a plastic carving board for anything.

And then later research contradicted those findings, and further later research continued to contradict it. Unfortunately, people usually know about one, not the other.

More info with links to the USDA research

You can use either, but you need to treat whichever you use with good care (as Kwea noted). Neither is clearly superior from a food safety standpoint, given proper care.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Meh, both names begin with a k and belong to female theists.

Wow, and some lucky woman wants to spend her life with you! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

And her name doesn't begin with a k, and she isn't a theist, and she occasionally has something worth while to say. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
too...many...jokes...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
. . . and she occasionally has something worth while to say.

So it's true. Opposites do attract.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Extra fiber [Big Grin]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bu...didn't you order the humus?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*groan*
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:

And then later research contradicted those findings, and further later research continued to contradict it. Unfortunately, people usually know about one, not the other.

More info with links to the USDA research

You can use either, but you need to treat whichever you use with good care (as Kwea noted). Neither is clearly superior from a food safety standpoint, given proper care.

This post, CT, is a perfect example of why I love your posts. Thank you!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
!!! JNSB! I was just thinking of starting a thread over on sake asking if anyone knew where you were, great to see you!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, it's good to see he isn't dead. [Smile]

And he's absolutely right about CT, too.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering where you had gotten to as well.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ElJay! Thanks. I'll have to head over to Sake in the next couple of days and check out 7 months worth of posts and to see how I did on the Sake taste strip test (though I've recently discovered I have anosmia).

But on topic: I like stainless steel cups and canteens for carrying water around to drink in because after time Nalgene bottles and aluminum canteens make water taste like plastic and aluminum, respectively. And I'm afraid of microwaving my food in Tupperware because of the plasticizers that get into food, so I've gone back to different types of glass/pyrex for food that I take for lunch and want to heat up there.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

Hi rivka , hi Icky! Okay, now I'm going to get some sleep before my graveyard shift, but hi to everyone else who comes along in this thread, too!
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
. . . and she occasionally has something worth while to say.

So it's true. Opposites do attract.
No, actually, you don't attract me at all, even though you do seem mystically compelled to respond to me on every possible occasion.
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
]No, actually, you don't attract me at all, even though you do seem mystically compelled to respond to me on every possible occasion.

Jeez what is your problem man? You're extremely disrespectful for no reason! This isnt even a controversial debate where tempers have flared. We're just talking about plates for cryin out loud!
Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(Hi, JNSB! [Smile] )
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Abhi:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by King of Men:
Jeez what is your problem man? You're extremely disrespectful for no reason! This isnt even a controversial debate where tempers have flared. We're just talking about plates for cryin out loud!

I suggest you review the posts. I started a perfectly civil thread about wooden plates; the various ks and rs decided to snark in it, even to the point of implying that my fiancee should be getting out of my life.
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
]No, actually, you don't attract me at all, even though you do seem mystically compelled to respond to me on every possible occasion.

You sayin' plates are not serious?
Fie on you!

Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I suggest you review the posts. I started a perfectly civil thread about wooden plates; the various ks and rs decided to snark in it, even to the point of implying that my fiancee should be getting out of my life.

1) That certainly was not my implication. And dude, if you are going to be all up in everyone's face regarding their personal choices, you really need to develop a thicker skin about your own. You know what they say about glass houses.
2) One person snarked at you, very slightly. And she apologized. You made a mistake about who that person was. When this was pointed out to you, you got extremely snarky.
3) Escalation, which I participated in. And I will apologize for my part immediately after you stop posting anti-religious snarks in inappropriate threads.

Let me know when that happens.

King of Men
Member # 6684

I can see we are not going to reach agreement on this matter; let me just say that I disagree about some of your statements on the degree of snark. I will post no further on the subject.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I really am sorry that I hurt your feelings, KoM. I really was expecting this to be another religion thing - you have to admit that most of your posts have that agenda - but that doesn't excuse my being mean. Sometimes my gauge of "funny" is out of whack.

Does an apology count as saying something worthwhile?

King of Men
Member # 6684

My remarks were directed at rivka, not you, kmb. Your comment actually was fairly funny; there wasn't really any need to apologise. Mine was intended the same.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was funny. It wouldn't matter except you used my name to make the joke. Considering what you post, consistently, every other time the subject comes up and your general disregard of anyone else's feelings, there is no reason to suppose that you're just brimming with benign bonhomie this time.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone for dishes from the planet Melmac?
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

No further comments.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What are you, new? Have you not noticed King of Men's MO? He has no regard for other people, period.

quote:

Like I said, you reap what you sow. You are the last person on Hatrack who has room to complain about people getting snarky to you. Whether any of the snarks were appropriate in an innocuous thread like this one--and I'm not saying they were or were not--is beside the point. Until you can find it in yourself to stop being a jackass to everyone else all the time, I, for one, see no reason why anyone should be concerned if someone else is rude to you. You've earned it.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.