FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I bought a car. (I fear I've made a terrible error.)

Author Topic: I bought a car. (I fear I've made a terrible error.)
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know if I'd call it a "car" exactly. I bought a vehicle. And I fear I've made a grave mistake. If I've really walked almost everywhere for these past few years to prove my commitment to the idea of going Green (which is what I tell myself sometimes, and other times not), then what on earth would possess me to by a 17 year-old 3/4 ton SUV that gets 12 miles to the gallon and spits exhaust like a steel factory in 1902? But when the kindly gentleman with the hesitant smile was showing me this beast of a rusted hulked-out monster of a vehicle, I just kept thinking to myself, "Jackpot, Troy; this is the perfect vehicle to have in case of a zombie attack." (I'd like to pretend I'm just kidding, here -- but really: that's what I kept thinking.)

I realized he was more of a pragmatic guy -- not one of us dreamers, maybe -- after he looked at me like I was insane when I said, "This car would be great in case of a zombie outbreak. Think of all the survivors I could fit in this thing."

I wish, really, that I hadn't written that check. I guess I'm stuck with this thing. I got carried away for about a half hour fantasizing about being a survivor in a world overrun by zombies. Unfortunately that was the half hour it took me to decide to buy this vehicle.

Learn from my mistakes, kids.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to feel a whole lot different when the apocalypse comes.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Zombie preparedness is never a mistake.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, with the right paint job, some front-mounted spikes, and a listing in the Yellow Pages, your rusty SUV might even pay for itself.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
TL,

Count your blessings, friend!

I was in my tin-box little Toyota Echo when I was attacked and eaten by zombies. I didn't have a chance. You do. In the months since, my zombie friends and I have been able to attack and consume drivers from almost every sort of vehicle, except those old, rusty, 3/4 ton SUV's.

But seriously, there is something called a "cooling off" period, but I doubt very much that you can use it when you buy from another guy on the street. You CAN use it if you buy a used car (or even a new car) from a dealership, though.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So, did you have ANY other reasons for buying it?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I would never buy an SUV for Zombie preparedness, but I have been tempted to buy a shotgun for some time, for partly that reason [Wink] .

Seriously kid, your SUV is nothing for zombies, unless you have a 12-gauge shotgun in the back, with PLENTY of ammo.

You've gone this far, now you need to go all the way.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
And remember, it'll get a lot more than 12 mpg if you only drive it downhill.
Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Install a turret the first chance you get.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to say. You've made a terrible error. Well, we learn from our mistakes. You are about to graduate to "Savant."
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want to make it cool, wherever you go you have to make sure people can hear the theme song to Sanford and Son coming from your truck.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
you should paint the name Carbon BigFoot on it in honor of your newly increased carbon footprint.

Bob 4:17 "And the number of the beast is 'four by four.'"

Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
You could go around campaigning...for...something! Paint your van up, add some turrets and spikes as has been suggested, and go for a (short) road trip! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Interesting pros & cons list:

Pros:
Protection from Zombies

Cons:
Definitely NOT Green

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely zombie preparedness wasn't the only reason?
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always paint it green. [Razz]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Zombies aren't environmentally green, either. I'm just sayin.'
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.