FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Glad I live in America ...

Author Topic: Glad I live in America ...
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46301

It's sort of sad. This guy has no idea that his actions defame Mexico and the state of Chihuahua way more than GRAW 2 ever could.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
While I don't believe the games should be confiscated, I can understand why he is upset. A press release denouncing the game would have been a little better.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I should have committed self immolation when "XXX2: State of the Union" came out. It dared to suggest that terrorists could take over the government and independent mercenaries would have to be hired to fix everything! It destroyed America's credibility around the world!

I think getting in a huff about the game and saying so only makes people want to see what the fuss is all about. Confiscating the games just shows that ideas are only safe in Mexico if the government agrees with it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I more or less agree with Stephan.

-o-

quote:
I knew I should have committed self immolation when "XXX2: State of the Union" came out. It dared to suggest that terrorists could take over the government and independent mercenaries would have to be hired to fix everything! It destroyed America's credibility around the world!
I have played neither game, so tell me please: Does the Mexican game show Mexicans as predominantly corrupt, lazy, and stupid? Does XX2: State of the Union portray Americans as predominantly corrupt, lazy, and stupid?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well XXX2: State of the Union was a movie not a video game, but in this instance I don't think that matters at all.

And why does environment of a revolution suggest that the people are "corrupt, lazy, and stupid" at even a significant degree, to say nothing of a predominant one.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't parse your question, but:

quote:
News of Chihuahua's action follows protests made earlier this month by Hector Murguia Lardizabal, the mayor of Juarez, Mexico. Lardizabal claims the inaccurate in-game representation of his city presents Juarez in a negative manner, also increasing tension between the U.S. and Mexico and insulting the intellect of the city's residents in the process.
I haven't played this game, so I don't know what he means, but I have experienced enough popular media to know how Hispanics are usually portrayed. For instance, from the movie Bad Boys, I learned that Miami, the city I grew up in, has no straight Latinos who are not also drug dealers. IIRC, Man on Fire taught me that pretty much the only good people in Mexico are Americans.

I don't think there is anything intrinsic to the environment of a revolution that suggests anything about the people in it. I just wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that popular media depictions of Americans and Mexicans in similar situations show them as facing those hardships in rather different ways, with one cultural response being markedly inferior to the other.

So people in the know: is that the case here? It was a question, for which I'm still awaiting an answer.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
IIRC correctly, Man on Fire taught me that pretty much the only good people in Mexico are Americans.
Well, there was the reporter and the cop. (Not to nitpick your broader point. I just loved that movie)
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard time getting worked up about the inherent virtue of a video game.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.