FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite obscure cartoons from the 1990s. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Favorite obscure cartoons from the 1990s.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of my favorites were The Tick and Angry Beavers. The former is finally coming out on DVD, but I'm still waiting for the latter.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently downloaded and watched the whole run of Exosquad. Such a great show. Probably the most serious Saturday morning cartoon I've ever seen. Especially towards the end. Kinda ticked me off that they ended it on a cliffhanger, though. Bucky O'Hare was one of my favorites. I remember watching this one cartoon in the early 80's where a bunch of teenagers get zapped into a cartoon world with their souped up Toyota truck...can't remember the name of it though. I do remember it had as many pop songs as they could fit into it, though.

edit: Anyone else remember the Wing Commander cartoon they did on USA? I loved that show. Can't find it again for the life of me. It was released at the same time as the Mortal Kombat cartoon (And does anyone else remember the Mortal Kombat series, non cartoon? I SWEAR Agent Smith was one of the main characters in that)

second edit: w00t!

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

- posted      Profile for Perplexity'sDaughter   Email Perplexity'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
*Samurai Pizza Cats!
*Rocko's Modern Life
*Beetlejuice
*Bobby's World
*Doug
*Muppet Babies
*Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (probably my fave at the time. I remember wearing some TMNT shoes in kindergarten and an older boy beating me up on the bus because "I was a girl and not allowed to like Ninja Turtles".
*Rugrats

Those are the only cartoons I can remember at this point.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I was obscure??
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch Beetlejuice! Wow, that brings back memories.

Oh, and the Muppet Babies theme is damn catchy, too.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Captain Planet was given such a huge media push by Ted Turner (broadcast on -all- his networks) that I don't think it counts as obscure, yeah. Love how the smarmy Russian chick is always the one who calmly and coldly explains to the silly, scaredy-cat, overly sensitive other Planeteers the moral of the episode and exactly the right thing to do!

Swamp Thing was a favorite of yours, BlackBlade? [Angst]

Oh wait! It was called Toxic Crusader, and no it was not my favorite in terms of enjoyment, it was my favorite in terms of being just so absurd, right up there with biker mice from mars.

One cartoon I DID like that was sorta obscure was
Dino-Riders!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino-Riders

Unfortunately that cartoon had the coolest premise ever and failed to fully capitalize on it.

edit: I enjoyed Mighty Max too,

I wanted a bodyguard like Norman SOOOOO badly after seeing that show.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
I was obscure??

Well, I'd certainly never met you.

Maybe the cartoon wasn't obscure, but I never exactly paid attention to its Nielsen ratings. And I didn't get into it until the end of its run.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, BlackBlade. I have the cartoon for Dino Riders on some VHS tapes (ones that came with the toys, I think?). The cartoon was enjoyable and I wish there was more of it. I mean brain boxed dinosaurs? So cool.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, you are the ONLY one who mentioned the wonder that was Angry Beavers. I loved it so much that my little brothers would come wake me up when it came on in the mornings. If the Arbor Day episode came on (or the teeth episode) they'd find me wherever I was in the world and try to get me in to watch it with them. *sigh* I love that show.

I also adored Histeria made by the ever-talented folks who brought us Tiny Toons and the genius Animaniacs. I'm waiting for that on DVD. I also really loved Dexter's Lab on Cartoon Network. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hooray! Let's be friends, Narnia.

Also, I was a big fan of Freakazoid. I'm not sure if it was obscure, but it sure was short-lived. Histeria's not really ringing a bell, though.

Narnia
Member # 1071

Freakazoid was hilarious, I definitely didn't watch enough of it.

Histeria

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
oh yeah, Dexter's Lab. i forgot about that show. it was good to start, but i saw some later eps that werent that good. but some of the early ones were freakin awesome.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:
oh yeah, Dexter's Lab. i forgot about that show. it was good to start, but i saw some later eps that werent that good. but some of the early ones were freakin awesome.

His sister Dee Dee single handedly destroyed the cartoon for me.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that animated by the same people that make Powerpuff Girls?

I hate that show, with the exception of one little short with Mojo Jojo when he was on "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire," and it was absolutely hysterical.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Mojo Jojo has to be the best cartoon villain ever. I love his syntax. I can't even imitate it, it was so funny.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

BlackBlade, the Dino-Riders toys were waaaay cooler than the show.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Histeria just because it always seemed timed well with my 8th grade history class. It seemed whatever subject we were about to be tested over was the subject of the episode of Histeria that morning. It was an odd coincidence. Some of my friends claim it was the only reason they passed their history classes.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo Hoo, Freakazoid! My friend Evan and I loved it so much that we wrote fan letters to the producers/writers. They wrote the nicest personal letters back and sent us pictures. We were inconsolable when it was cancelled.

I also loved The Tick and Gargoyles. My favorits is Sewer Urchin.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Under the Umbrella Tree had three puppet characters, Jacob (a bluejay) Gloria (a gopher) and...crap I can't think of the third
That would be Iggy, the Iguana.

*loved that show*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Mrs. M, I always liked Deflator Mouse (Die Fladermaus) the most. He cracked me up whenever he ran away, but the best villain had to be of El Seed.

"We are now distributing pens for you to fill out your insurance forms. PLEASE PRINT CLEARLY!" It's more funny in context.

Leo -

Ah! IGGY! What was the name of the woman who owned the apartment?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Holly [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Under the Umbrella Tree had three puppet characters, Jacob (a bluejay) Gloria (a gopher) and...crap I can't think of the third
Is that kinda like Pinwheel? I used to love that show.

Edited to fix silly UBB code. Link is to wikipedia and is work safe.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Mrs. M, I always liked Deflator Mouse (Die Fladermaus) the most. He cracked me up whenever he ran away, but the best villain had to be of El Seed.

"We are now distributing pens for you to fill out your insurance forms. PLEASE PRINT CLEARLY!" It's more funny in context.

"Everytime we flash the Die Fledermaus signal, he disconnects his phone and leaves town for a week."

"I didn't even want to be involved; I got jumped by a hedge! Where are the cops in this town!"

"I'm Die Fledermaus and the only one I'm in love with is me!"

"If we don't put that crazy dame away…she's gonna Marry me!"

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
BlackBlade, the Dino-Riders toys were waaaay cooler than the show.

True Story! They were the only things that could stand up to my transformer and GI Joe toys!

Even as a child I was AMAZED by how anatomically accurate they were. Apparently the Smithsonian asked the toy factory to make another set for the institute sans the guns/armor obviously.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (probably my fave at the time. I remember wearing some TMNT shoes in kindergarten and an older boy beating me up on the bus because "I was a girl and not allowed to like Ninja Turtles".
I think that happened to April O'Neil too... more or less....
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

[ROFL]
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Mad Jack the Pirate is possibly my all time favorite obscure Saturday morning cartoon.

It started in 1998 and was canceled the following year because the writer, Bill Kopp, was hired to do an Austin Powers cartoon, which was later canceled due to conflicts with the next Austin Powers movie, leaving Kopp conveniently without a job. Almost everyone I've ever met has no clue what it is, but the very few who have seen it remember it as comic gold.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember it, DD, but how could it not be great with episode titles like "Attack of the Man-Eating Green Gorillas/The Johnny of the Lamp" or "The Island of Pink & Fuzzy/Uncle Mortimer"?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Not obscure, but my favorite...

Ren & Stimpy.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Captain Planet sucked rocks.

Dude had a mullet-- 'nuff said.

He had a straight up, sticks out of the back of your hockey helmet mullet. Totally lame.
HAHAHA, I had no idea Rob Ray was Captain Planet.
krynn
Member # 524

because of this thread, ive been humming old cartoon themes to myself while on and around campus. its got me feeling all retro and nostalgic.

Another one i remembered was Tin Tin. i originally had the books for these series that started as x-mas gifts. later i found the show and loved it. he was like a young detective guy with a dog.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Tintin's being made into a live action film.

Nothing could thrill me less, though I suppose I should give the movie makers the benefit of the doubt.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Silverhawks! They were partly metal, partly real! Si-i-i-ilve-e-e-e-erha-a-a-a-a-awks!
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam & Max
FREELANCE POLICE

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Vonk - from page one... Are you talking about the heads that swapped places 'after these messages, we'll be riiiiiight back?' in claymation?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was! I'd forgotten that creepy detail though.

What decade was Sharon, Lewis, and Bram's Elephant Show? And how many of you can still do the song? And that game show with Bozo the Clown? All I remember is kids throwing ping pong balls into buckets at the end. I loved that part.

sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember Maya the Bee? Also, since Dinosaurs was mentioned, we mustn't forget Fraggle Rock, even though it's technically not a cartoon.

Mario, Sonic, and Megaman were among my main lineup. Last but not least, the first Anime (don't think the term Anime even EXISTED then)I ever watched: Ronin Warriors. Who remembers THAT one?

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a ton of cartoons in the 90's, but the top ones were without a doubt: Freakazoid, Captain Planet, and Darkwing Duck!

Edit: Oh, definitely not obscure but the Spiderman and X-Men cartoons.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
The ones that were never as well known as...say, The Disney Afternoon or the Dini/Timm super-hero shows...yet still have their charms.

Anyone remember Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys?

Samurai Pizza Cats?

ExoSquad?

yeah i remember all three of those. exo squad was pretty serious stuff when i was a kid. i even had a couple of their action figures. my Legos always had huge battles against their mechs on the staircase in my parents' house. hehe.

not the 90's, but i watched Bravestar as a kid too. another of my all time fav's was Pirates of Dark Water. such a good series.

Itsame
Member # 9712

I remember Samurai Pizza cats, and Captain Simian (awesome show), but what is Exosquad?

Edit: Oh! I woke up early every Saturday to watch Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

and they made a cartoon for Where In the World Is Carmen SanDiego. that was cool.
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
Mysterious Cities of Gold was my favorite from the late 80's....don't remember it playing in the 90's really, but man I loved that Golden Condor

Still looking to find a copy of EXO Squad which I remember watching everyday before going to middle school in the early 90's.

I also went a bought the DvDs for Zelda and Captain N

The one I wish they would release on DvD is the movie Unico

I'll have to see if my Mother kept the VCR tape I recorded it on all those years back.

I also loved the opening song for David the Gnome. Awsome Song there .

Edit: For the Guy Wondering what Exo Squad was

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Teddy Ruxpin was well loved, but may have been before the 90's.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but one of my favorites was Dinosaucers!

Essentially it was a biological Transformers. And I loved it!

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Oh wow, how did I not think of this one. REDWALL!!

Edit: I just looked on amazon, cause now I want to buy the whole series. The seasons are 60-70 dollars each!

Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
How could I have forget Muppet Babies

I loved the way they always worked in shots from other shows when they decided to "Use our imagination".

Garfield and Friends was great also

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
BEAST WARS
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Saephon:
BEAST WARS

...but not beast machines, that show was a heresy.

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Captain Planet sucked rocks.

Dude had a mullet-- 'nuff said.

He had a straight up, sticks out of the back of your hockey helmet mullet. Totally lame.
HAHAHA, I had no idea Rob Ray was Captain Planet.
This is the real captain planet.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

My friend just bought the whole Beast Wars series on DVD. We watched like 8 episodes in a row before deciding to eat lunch.
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=QmcKGcKW76M

Wow, I'm watching this now and I forgot how much I dug 90s cartoons and how they fueled my imagination. I remember loving each on of these shows, except The Max (which I guess was too old for me, though I watched The Critic with my dad) and Sonic Underground (which I never knew existed, just as well since it looks awful). Huh, I had no idea Dragon Warrior was a cartoon either.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.