FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite obscure cartoons from the 1990s. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Favorite obscure cartoons from the 1990s.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The ones that were never as well known as...say, The Disney Afternoon or the Dini/Timm super-hero shows...yet still have their charms.

Anyone remember Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys?

Samurai Pizza Cats?

ExoSquad?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Planet

I have a friend who got hold of some of these somehow - we only vaguely remembered the show. They have to save the planet from eco-terrorists. It's hilariously awful.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Planet was not obscure at all! It was awesome.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
90's? How about Swamp Thing? In retrospect I can see why the cartoon series was VERY short lived.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Planet was given such a huge media push by Ted Turner (broadcast on -all- his networks) that I don't think it counts as obscure, yeah. Love how the smarmy Russian chick is always the one who calmly and coldly explains to the silly, scaredy-cat, overly sensitive other Planeteers the moral of the episode and exactly the right thing to do!

Swamp Thing was a favorite of yours, BlackBlade? [Angst]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Gummie Bears. *starts singing 'bouncing here and there and everywhere...*

I so wanted gummie beary juice...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Ren and Stimpy rocks.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated Ren and Stimpy, and I wouldn't call it obscure either.

I watched, very, very little Captain Simian.

Mine were a mix of 80's and 90's shows.

Bucky O'Hare

Centurions

Visionaries

Mighty Max

Conan The Adventurer

Less or not at all obscure shows that I watched include:

Double Dragon, GI Joe, Transformers, Sonic the Hedgehod.

And I have no idea where Under the Umbrella Tree, Dumbo Circus (when I was REALLY young), Little Bits and David the Gnome fall. Those were all when I was in the single digits in the 80's and early 90's.

And I don't know where this falls either, but The Tick is definetely in my top three of best cartoon shows ever. Hysterical show.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I loved Mighty Max, Lyrhawn. Particularly the last couple episodes (the little 2 or 3 part arc that ended the series). So good. I miss it. Too bad the toy line was just Polly Pocket for guys. [Razz]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
The Mysterious Cities of Gold was absolutely brilliant! (Literally)
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
S.W.A.T. Cats. That's all I have to say.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Biker Mice from Mars.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I'll second mysterious cities of gold. I used to love it. I actually downloaded the whole series a few years back. never actually finished watching them but they're all sitting on my computer somewhere.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I love and cherish Exo-Squad based purely on my memories. I had some of the toys - I recently checked eBay to see if I could get them again, and they're now upwards of $70 a piece. [Frown]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastically obscure: A saturday morning cartoon I adored called...wait for it...

"The Cowboys of Moo Mesa"

Who were, in fact...all cows.

They were named after states: Texas, Colorado who was the young hot-head, and then Dakota who was the older, wiser one. I can't quite remember Texas' personality. edit: thinking about it, i think he was sort of the leader, just more level-headed. Sort of like Leonardo, of TMNT fame.

I don't think it was on very long, but i remember the intro sequence vividly.

further edit: Oh my gosh! After a little research I've discovered that the show was actually MADE by the creators of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
C.O.W.boys of Moo Mesa That is so weird that i randomly made that comparison!

Also, i was mis-remembering the characters...I thought Texas was the leader, turns out his name was Montana! oh my gosh, this show ran for longer than i thought...five seasons! I am really in shock. It was an utterly bizarre premise.

*laughs*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Megaman.

Also, I totally thought that blonde chick from Captain Planet was from Holland or something...I think when they showed them like, "Oh look. All of these stereotypes from all over the world!" she was surrounded by windmills.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Only windmills because her power was Wind. But her name was Linka, and the accent was pretty pronounced.

I watched a bit of Cowboys of Moo Mesa when I was younger, but I missed most of it. What is even on Saturday morning cartoons anymore? When I was young it was like, pre-teen variety shows basically, like Animaniacs and Tiny Toons. And there's a show I can't remember the name of, but whenever a commercial would come on they'd sing "After theeese messages...we'll be riiight back!" But I can never remember the name of the show.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

That sounds so so familiar, Lyrhawn...were there a group of them, singing harmony? Possibly...puppets? *trying to remember*
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors was a little before hte 90's. As was Silver Hawks.

And Zelda (and the Super Mario Bros Super Show), Captain N: the Game Master, Pirates of Dark Water, M.A.S.K., Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Where's Waldo, the Back to the Future cartoon...

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

OMG...i remember Where's Waldo!
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I still sometimes get the Where's Waldo theme song stuck in my head... that and the Carmen Sandiego theme.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

And I have no idea where Under the Umbrella Tree, Dumbo Circus (when I was REALLY young), Little Bits and David the Gnome fall. Those were all when I was in the single digits in the 80's and early 90's.

Oh wow! I was just talking to my boyfriend yesterday about David the Gnome. He's the only person I met who remembers it (though he insists that at 21 years old, I should be too young to know it.) I kept thinking about Under the Umbrella Tree and Dumbo's Circus, but couldn't remember their names.

As for me, I got bored last weekend and downloaded "The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest." I was about ten or eleven at the time, but my younger brothers watched it so I used "sibling bonding time" as an excuse to watch cartoons without my mother teasing me. Ten years later and I still love cartoons. This post has only increased my desire to track down my favorites.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Now Carmen was the best. I don't think i have ever gotten so worked up about anything since i used to watch those nitwits run around the US or World maps trying to find Georgia or Russia. "It's the big one!! The one taking up most of freakin' Asia!!!!" *shouts at screen*
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Which Carmen Sandiego theme, FlyingCow? Since you're in the cartoon thread, I'd assume the cartoon one, but of course many people are more familiar with the live action trivia show one (both Where in the World and Where in Time).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I get the one done by Rockapella stuck in my head, which was the trivia show. I loved the cartoon, but that song is just damn infectious.

As was the Waldo theme.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Oh, after you mentioning them, I have all of them stuck in my head. The Rockapella one, the cartoon one, and the Waldo theme. It's very odd to have three songs playing at once in your mind.
Strider
Member # 1807

I'm 27 and loved David the Gnome. Though I was probably a bit old when I was watching it.

I completely forgot about Captain N: The Game Master. I used to watch that.

Also, I don't know if I'd call M.A.S.K obscure, but maybe it just didn't seem obscure in my 12 year old world.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Cartoon Planet! I think it counts as obscure because it was totally overshadowed by Spaceghost Coast to Coast, which is pretty funny, but no Brak.

Also, not a cartoon, but does anyone remember Muppets Tonight? The Disney Channel 90's version of The Muppet Show. REALLY funny. Especially the episodes with Cindy Crawford, Sandra Bullock, and Garth Brooks.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Under the Umbrella Tree had three puppet characters, Jacob (a bluejay) Gloria (a gopher) and...crap I can't think of the third, and they lived in a house with some lady who had an Umbrella Tree in the house, and they lived underneath it. Dumbo's Circus was, I think, about people in giant costumes dressed up as the characters from Dumbo. It was horrible, in retrospect, but I liked it for some reason at the time.

I still say "fiddlesticks" all the time like David did. I'm 22, so 21 is definetely not too young to know what DtG is.

Is the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest the more recent one? There's an older one, and a more recent one with better animation. I used to watch the more recent one all the time, but it was a short lived series.

I never watched a Carmen Sandiego cartoon, but I LOVED the game show. It's probably the best gameshow of all time. I also really liked Bozo's Circus when I was a kid, and that video game game show, where they had to uncover a picture one block at a time and answer really easy questions and at the end the kids had to do like a virtual reality "Inside the video game" green screen challenge thing. And Legends of the Hidden Temple.

And I was JUST talking about Muppets Tonight the other day with a friend. When are they going to have that out on DVD? So far as I can remember, this is my favorite scene. I wish I could have seen the Moulin Rouge parody version.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Samurai Pizza Cats?
Hells yeah. I watched quite a bit of that show back in the day, and the wierd thing is, I don't ever remember seeing them run anywhere. They always kinda glided around. Really bizarre and lazy.

Also, I was rather fond of Eek the cat (and his girlfriend Anabelle).

Gargoyles should have lasted much longer than it did. If I recall correctly, it had a really bad time slot.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Wut 'bout Square One TV's....

Mathman

A take off of Pac-man, the lil'math dude had to solve the problem, and he usually got it wrong, which meant he got chased by his archnemesis...

...strange spinning tornado guy.

Best show evar.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
From the links underneath Wiki's Spartakus entry (funny that I remember Spartakus but not MCoG) I loved the Little Prince, Little Koala, Count Duckula (He won't bite beast or man/Cause he's a vegetarian/Duckula) and DtG. I watch Happy Days just because I love Tom Bosley. I really miss the Father Dowling Mysteries that he was in, too.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i remember Space monkeys and EXO squad. i only saw a couple eps of Space MOnkeys, but i know i saw a few more of EXO Squad. there was that whole discrimination thing going on against the uh.. Neo Humans?

Captain N was ok.

i was all about some Pirates of Dark Water. i loved how that had that one phrase, for which im about to butcher and try to spell it... "Noi Getat!" i think Ren was the main char's name.

Oh and Lyrhawn, the "after these messages, we'll be riiight back!" was from way back in the day when cable just came out. it was on ABC for their saturday morning cartoons. they also had those "in a minute" things, if anyone remembers those.

here's a link for those first ones... so nostalgic:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N3vh7yoUU0E

EDIT: DarkWing Duck was also good.

[ March 28, 2007, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: krynn ]

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not obscure enough, but The Maxx. Loved it.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, MTV's precursor to Adult Swim. I never got Aeon Fluxx, but I loved the Maxx. (I especially loved the Gen 13 comic where Grunge thought he was the Maxx. So perfect.)
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I never really watched obscure cartoons; more of a populist, I guess.

Dungeons & Dragons
Captain Planet
Captain N
GI Joe
He-Man
She-Ra
Voltron
Thunder Cats
Smurfs

Shows I only remembered watching every Saturday after browsing this 80s cartoon site
BraveStarr
Captain Caveman
Dragon's Lair
Hulk Hogan's Rockin' Wrestling
Pole Position
Q*Bert
Real Ghostbusters

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Planet sucked rocks.

Dude had a mullet-- 'nuff said.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

krynn -

THANK YOU, I haven't seen those in more than a decade. I used to spend the night over at my grandma's house most friday nights. She'd make me one of those crappy Jeno's thin and crispy frozen pizzas, and in the morning I'd get up early, watch the cartoons on ABC, and she'd make me some mini lender's bagels with strawberry cream cheese.

You just brought back a very, very happy memory for me.

Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the shows shown on Finnish TV when I was a kid seem to have been either Japanese or European, so I've never even heard of most of the shows here...

Anyway, what I watched:

Around the World with Willy Fogg
Nils Holgersson - This was actually my favourite when I was 5 or 6 or so. It's an anime show based on a dull Swedish fairy tale book that's actually less of a fairy tale book than a geography book disguised as a fairy tale book. But the anime version is gorgeous. The basic plot goes that there's a boy who is so naughty the local house elf turns him to the size of a thumb. He then joins a bunch of wild geese together with a non-wild goose called Martin, and they all fly to Lapland and back together. I begged and begged and screamed and screamed for my parents to buy me a toy goose so I could be like Nils Holgersson, but they didn't find any geese so I had to make do with a stupid toy parrot.
Alfred J. Kwak - On retrospect this was probably the coolest show ever produced.
Moomins
Darkwing Duck
Duck Tales
Chip 'n Dale
Il etait une fois... la vie
Il etait une fois... l'homme
Il etait une fois... les Ameriques

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Again, not too obscure, but TailSpin (from The Disney Afternoon explicitly excluded in the OP). I had forgotten that.
quote:
Several of the characters are loosely based on characters from Disney's animated film version of The Jungle Book: in particular Baloo, the hot-shot pilot hero of the series; Louie, the owner of Baloo's favorite bar; and Shere Khan, a business tycoon who appears in many episodes.
Fun intro music. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Captain Planet sucked rocks.

Dude had a mullet-- 'nuff said.

He had a straight up, sticks out of the back of your hockey helmet mullet. Totally lame.

I watched the whole run of Ronin Warriors, a translation of a Japanese Anime. I actually need to watch that again. I also watched Dinosaucers, mostly because the timeslot it was in had no other decent shows.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I loved the TailSpin theme music. I also forgot totally about Q*bert, which was very obscure but fun - same with Rockin' Wrestling.

I also really liked The Centurions, which I feel falls under the "obscure" heading, but was also from the 80s.

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
DINOSAUCERS FTW!!!

i can still remember the intro song

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yay! Someone else saw Centurions!

Does anyone remember the name of a Nickalodeon show that featured two little koalas? There was a pink and blue one, and they drew little circles in the air and jumped through them to get to other places, and ate eucalytus leaves all day. I can't remember the name of it.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Don't forget Dino-Riders, either. [Big Grin] I loved those toys.

I loved my Centurion toys, too.

:gets nostalgic:

Oh! And Sectaurs! Those guys with the blue eyes and antennae that rode on giant bugs! Those toys were awesome.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mysterious city of gold rocked. The disney afternoon shows, tailspin, darkwing duck, etc, were great.

Someone put out a few shows of dragon warrior. sadly, they never finished the story as far as I know.

Sebastain, on nickelodeo. Big white dog. Thats all I remember

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I watched a bit of Cowboys of Moo Mesa when I was younger, but I missed most of it. What is even on Saturday morning cartoons anymore? When I was young it was like, pre-teen variety shows basically, like Animaniacs and Tiny Toons. And there's a show I can't remember the name of, but whenever a commercial would come on they'd sing "After theeese messages...we'll be riiight back!" But I can never remember the name of the show.

The little jingle actually occurred several times during a given Saturday morning block, I don't think it was attached to a particular show.

See here: http://www.80s.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tv;action=display;num=1124583855

I get my 90s and 80s cartoons mixed up (even though I was 14 in 1990 [Smile] , I was a bit immature for my age) My most obscure Saturday morning show was a live-action drawing show shown only in the metro Boston market called "Captain Bob's Drawing Show". It took place in the eponymous sailor's sea shanty. As for cartoons, I saw so many (though somehow missed Robotech!) that I don't know which ones are obscure, and which ones are popular (I've heard of most of the cartoons listed here, but the further into the 90s, the less likely I would know them).

I kinda liked Pac-Man' cartoon, even if it was just a knock-off of any number of Hanna-Barbera cartoons of the time, with a lot of the same voice actors, even! The Monchichis were pretty swell too.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Darkwing Duck!

Let's. Get. Dan-gerous!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Daring duck of mystery!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a big fan of the Snorks. Was that 80s or 90s?

Also, though though they weren't cartoons, every time someone says "in a minute" I have to repeat the phrase four times in my head in different funny high pitched voices. What were those all about? Anyone remember? They weren't really commercials but came on between cartoons on Sat mornings.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.