FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » China to build 'girl power' town

Author Topic: China to build 'girl power' town
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=44831&in_page_id=2

quote:
A district in China will be renamed 'Woman Town' - with strict rules that whatever women want, they get.

And disobedient men will be punished, either with wooden boards or menial chores.

The 2.3km Shuangqiao district in Chongqing will become what is thought to be the world's first 'Woman Town'.

The town gates will bear the ruling philosophy: 'A woman never makes a mistake. A man can never reject a woman's request.'

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so interesting, and yet I can't decide if I approve or disapprove, I keep flip flopping.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I like that idea or not. I mean, hooray for women but I don't think males should be punished either...
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for horribly misguided steps away from gender equality!

[Party]

Next on the to-do list: creating an extra seat in the U.S. senate that can only be filled by a woman!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And disobedient men will be punished, either with wooden boards or menial chores.
An entire town full of dominatrii?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

In order to step away from gender equality, you need it first. This is more going from one inequality directly to another inequality.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
A man cannot refuse a request?

This has dangerous, sexual overtures

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:

In order to step away from gender equality, you need it first. This is more going from one inequality directly to another inequality.
I was picturing it more along the lines of:

O------------------------X------------------------->
Equality----We are here----Direction China is going!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
quote:
Orininally posted by Gecko:
A man cannot refuse a request?

This has dangerous, sexual overtures

Where do I sign up! [Kiss]
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

See, I'm using a different definition of the word going. <snip, stupid ASCII picture> I was more thinking that most of China is pretty unequal in favour of the male, but people can *go* to be this teeny weeny 2.3 sq km area where people can go see an exaggerated reverse for tourism and kicks, with most of the participants being tourists.
more info

quote:
"The essence of the 'female-dominated town' is entertainment showing 'feminine culture,' and it has no relationship with the feminism in real life," said Li Jigang on April 3.
Tong Jiuying, Party branch secretary of Xinmin Village, is also the future bailiff. "We just want tourists to enjoy this 'feminism game'...

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
They need a female president, historically whenever there was a female Emperor or de facto Dowager Empress gende equality improved significantly. the second Zhou Dynasty comes to mind.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
They need a female president, historically whenever there was a female Emperor or de facto Dowager Empress gende equality improved significantly. the second Zhou Dynasty comes to mind.

China also has a long held belief that whenever a female ascends to a position of power, ruthlessness dominates the throne, and catastrophe consumes the country.

The Empress Dowager Ci Xi comes to mind; it was one of the sentiments strongly channeled when Madam Mao (Jiang Qing) attempted to succeed Mao Ze Dong along with the three others in the Gang of Four.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ci_Xi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_Mao
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Four

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tong Jiuying, Party branch secretary of Xinmin Village, is also the future bailiff. "We just want tourists to enjoy this 'feminism game'
If I were a woman, I'd be rather irritated by someone creating a straw man of "feminism" for the purposes of satirical lampooning.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I agree, although I might point out the slight bit of irony in that Tong Jiuying is a "she". (Not that I'm saying you didn't notice, but my quote did not make this too clear)
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Sheesh. Don't people know how to form proper Latin pluralii anymore?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Priorii!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sheesh. Don't people know how to form proper Latin pluralii anymore?
I figured I could do it like English, in which case it might be correct and might not, but will definitely be difficult to say, or I can do it it like in Latin, which I would almost certainly get wrong but which will be easier to say.

I chose the one that's easier to say.

But then, I also pronounce it ha-track because that's easier for me to say.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

dominatrices?
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes please.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
I agree, although I might point out the slight bit of irony in that Tong Jiuying is a "she". (Not that I'm saying you didn't notice, but my quote did not make this too clear)

I don't really think this is ironic so much as sad. The most adamant anti-feminists I know are female.

I don't think this town is, by any means, trying to be anti-feminist, but that doesn't change the fact that it is.

I am 100% in agreement with Tom. This is thoroughly irritating.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. What makes them think that sexism is okay so long as it's reversed?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
I am 100% in agreement with Tom. This is thoroughly irritating.

Seconded. Although there's a repulsive quality to the assumptions behind this that goes a little beyond "irritation" for me.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the town develops a Sexy Ninja Police Squad, which then goes abroad, fighting crime throughout the country and bringing sexual liberation to the oppressed masses.

Consider this copyright. Anybody wants to film this, it has to go through me [Big Grin]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

This reminds me of Menzoberanzan. [Smile]
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. What makes them think that sexism is okay so long as it's reversed?

Probably the same thing that makes the people that run Hooters think that sexism is okay even when its not reversed.
Money.

In any case, you should check out the more expensive karaoke bars in Beijing or the airline stewardesses on Air China before getting worked up about something like this [Smile]

MightyCow
Member # 9253

What's wrong with Hooters?

I hope the women in this town get snake whips and worship the spider goddess. I remember some kind of melted candle style avatars too, but it's been a while.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Ah, so that's the plural form!

quote:
I was picturing it more along the lines of:

O------------------------X------------------------->
Equality----We are here----Direction China is going!

Really? I thought it was more like:
code:
o--------------------X--------------------o--------------------o--------------------O
Feudal Japan.........We are here..........Equality.............China heading >>.....Angel One from TNG

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
This stupid, stupid, stupid idea for a town will not be complete until the Red Dwarf crew crash-land in the middle of it.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

If Star Trek:TNG were still in production, Riker would spend all his shore leave in that town.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Dominatrices. We borrow this particular plural/declension form directly from Latin, so in almost all cases of -ix feminine nouns, -ices is the plural. For future reference. [Smile]

This idea is repulsive. It's not feminism. Feminism isn't setting women up to be tourist attractions. It's not a female paradise, it's patronising and degrading.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be misguided and ironically exploitative...but don't you still want to visit?

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:

Dominatrices. We borrow this particular plural/declension form directly from Latin, so in almost all cases of -ix feminine nouns, -ices is the plural. For future reference. [Smile]

Okay, thanks.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
It may be misguided and ironically exploitative...but don't you still want to visit?

[Embarrassed]

Actually I foresee a whole slew of unforseen sociological catastrophes taking place. But on a lighter note,

"If women ran the world we wouldn't have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days."
-Robin Williams

[Big Grin]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Olivet? Her novel is about a world in which women run everything and men can't refuse their requests.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.