FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Etiquette Dilema. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Etiquette Dilema.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*laughing

Thanks, Mucus. No need for any more of a response, unless the spirit moves you.

-------------

I thought about it, and I decided I feel okay about this. I am not going back to pretty it up first, so the same rules apply to anyone who goes to see: no keeping any sort of a copy, no sending it to anyone else, and you are welcome to cast aspersions on my artistic talent, but not mock the real people who may or may not be represented by it.

[jpeg address now snipped out, having lived its bright and oh so brief life to the fullest]

[ May 18, 2007, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Its mildly errie that your drawing is the same color shirt she was wearing yesterday.

Also her eyebrows are not quite that long, and her hair is wavy not curly [Wink]

I wish girls wore shoes that look like the ones you drew.

As an update I turned and looked inadvertantly while she was stretching and calmly looked to my right and counted to 8 in my head. My supervisor noticed and asked me what I was staring at. I lied and said the clock, and she told me to get back to work, as looking at the clock would not help me do my job.

+1 etiquette
-1 supervisal reputation

What can you do? [Dont Know]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ah, BlackBlade. The life of a Gentleman is fraught with too many unacknowledged graces.

Good on you for it. [Smile]

---

Okay, served its purpose. Getting deleted now. (Thanks!)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

As an update I turned and looked inadvertantly while she was stretching and calmly looked to my right and counted to 8 in my head. My supervisor noticed and asked me what I was staring at. I lied and said the clock, and she told me to get back to work, as looking at the clock would not help me do my job.

+1 etiquette
-1 supervisal reputation

That does give you a reasonably graceful way to privately let your supervisor know the situation. That way, if you approach it carefully, you are explaining your behavior rather than complaining about a coworker.

"I'm sorry for appearing to stare at the clock earlier. I didn't want to say anything in front of Sally, but when she stretches like that I see more of her than I am comfortable seeing. I'm sure, she doesn't want me seeing anything either, so I just look somewhere else. I was thinking of getting a plant..."

This should be said with no hint of reproach in your tone and perhaps a touch of embarrassment in your own ability to solve the situation.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I'm sure, she doesn't want me seeing anything either, so I just look somewhere else. I was thinking of getting a plant..."

This should be said with no hint of reproach in your tone and perhaps a touch of embarrassment in your own ability to solve the situation.

Priceless advice. Just priceless. [especially how to hit the right tone]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:

+1 etiquette
-1 supervisal reputation

That does give you a reasonably graceful way to privately let your supervisor know the situation. That way, if you approach it carefully, you are explaining your behavior rather than complaining about a coworker.

"I'm sorry for appearing to stare at the clock earlier. I didn't want to say anything in front of Sally, but when she stretches like that I see more of her than I am comfortable seeing. I'm sure, she doesn't want me seeing anything either, so I just look somewhere else. I was thinking of getting a plant..."

It's a good idea, I might try it. Ill probably just try developing a fierce interest in my ipod or my desk papers when she stretches. It would be hard for me to come up with a good way to speak to my supervisor without anyone else hearing, its a very open office. Also I am still quite new here and I have no idea how long this woman has been working here, and from what I can tell she is pretty chummy with the supervisor. I could lose additional points of reputation if I am not delicate about this.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Most excellent advice, Kate.

BB: As for how to discuss this with your supervisor, can you send him/her an email or drop a paper note asking for a brief 5-minute conerence away from normal work areas (i.e. "cigarette" break) to discuss a work related matter? I've done this before, and in my own experiences works well to get the boss away from prying ears.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I totally wouldn't discuss it with your boss. It could come off as petty and whiney to her. Sniping between coworkers (which is how this might seem to her) is something that's eternally painfully tiresome for bosses to have to deal with. I think you should just quietly block the view and don't mention it to anyone. I would try to let go of the idea that you have some sort of legitimate grievance about this. Just let it go. Try to get so involved and engrossed in your work that you don't notice things on this level. I think you'll be a lot happier in this job if you can manage to grow a thicker skin about things like this, and not let them bother you.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. What kind of place is it that you work, where you look away for 8 seconds and your boss reprimands you?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, really. And the required stretching part, too:
quote:
It should be noted that twice a day we have 5 minutes where we are required to stop everything and stretch.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
Wow. What kind of place is it that you work, where you look away for 8 seconds and your boss reprimands you?

It was more bad timing, she saw me as I was staring and she assumed I had been staring for quite some time.

Also the mandatory stretch times are a god send as it lets me stand up stretch and move parts of my body that have been stationary for several hours.

I usually use the time to just post on hatrack, [Big Grin]

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Mandatory stretch periods make good sense from an EHS and ergo standpoint. It benefits both the company and employees. Hopefully though, they let them stretch more throughout the day than just the 2 mandatory ones though. I know that wouldn't be enough for me.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.