FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sweets

Author Topic: Sweets
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm doing this new diet, and it's working out great! I'm beginning to see some definition in my torso!

I am wondering though, if anybody knows of food items that are great for cookie/cake/chocolate substitutes, but aren't abysmally unhealthy either. [Wink]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate covered raisins. Craisins. Granola bars.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dried apricots
I smuggle them into movie theatres.
Sometimes I'll eat yogurt instead of chocolate
But today I hate hot chocolate and a school boy biscuit.
I might be in agony tonight.
Then there are grapes and blueberries to consider.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I have found a new addiction: dried cherries. The are so sweet and seem to replace sugar so well for me. The best ones I've tasted are from Target, the Archer Farms brand. Be careful though, 1/4 cup is 120-140 calories and they go so fast.

The Quaker Oats Smores granola bars are to die for. At 110 calories each, there is no guilt for eating chocolate.

Kellogg's Special K bars are another one of my favorites. They have only 90 calories and make a great breakfast on the go.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yoplait makes a "chocolate mousse" yogurt that's not bad.

Regular or extra-creamy low-fat yogurt containers can be popped in the freezer for a cold treat.

I agree on the dried fruit but you have to watch it, it's really high-calorie and high-sugar (although the sugars are better for you than the ones in, say, cake.)

Graham cracker with a spread of low- or no-fat cream cheese and a tiny sprinkle of brown sugar makes a good cheesecake sub.

Sugary cereal with non-fat milk isn't great for you but it's more healthy than "real" dessert.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, also, instead of a milkshake, try a "liquado"-- you blend up fresh fruit, such as strawberries or melon, with ice and a little bit of milk (low-fat milk will do.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I calm chocolate cravings with high protein slim fast...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! [Wink] I've tried dehydrated blueberries/cherries before, they are really good.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and if you're ever craving pumpkin pie, I found a great "pumpkin pudding" recipe that's a decent sub.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Dust. It has no calories and is in plentiful supply (at least in my house).

Failing that, a nice juicy apple helps me out when I am having a choco-denial freak out.

Good luck. I remember having a torso - in the days before the six-pack became a keg...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, almost forgot: there are now these funny little rice cake snacks from Quaker, forget what they are called, that have chocolate drizzles. They are sweet-salty-crunchy-chocolatey, remind me of some Japanese snacks my friend who served a mission in Japan used to buy in Little Tokyo, and very good. And they have very few calories, for a junky snack.
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
Try making brownies, but instead of using butter or oil use apple sauce.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I snack on raw almonds. Or, a beef jerky. Or homemade fruit leather. Or fresh fruit... Now I'm hungry...
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some new "100 calorie packs" put out by Keebler and Nabisco of some of their popular snacks, including fudge cookies and shortbread cookies. I get by with those. On the one hand, they taste sweet and satisfy my craving, but are only 100 calories. On the other hand, they're pretty expensive, so I limit myself to only one a day!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Safeway has a Key Lime Sorbet with only 1 gram of fat per serving that I am hooked on.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark, dark chocolate. I've never been a huge fan of dark chocolate, but recently I've found that a single square of *really good* chocolate that's 70% or more is the perfect amount. I've had something sweet and rich, but if I have any more, I won't feel great.

As for cakes and cookies, try substituting ingredients. Honey or molasses for refined sugar, whole wheat of white flour, omitting the egg yolk or substituting with unsweetened applesauce.

I'm going to begin my experiments with homemade fruit sorbet next week. That will be very interesting.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Oh, almost forgot: there are now these funny little rice cake snacks from Quaker, forget what they are called, that have chocolate drizzles. They are sweet-salty-crunchy-chocolatey, remind me of some Japanese snacks my friend who served a mission in Japan used to buy in Little Tokyo, and very good. And they have very few calories, for a junky snack.

Rice cakes have very few calories because they're mainly air. They also have next to no nutritional value (at least, that was the case a few years ago -- I suppose it's possible there are some fortified brands on the market now that are marginally better than eating styrofoam packing peanuts).
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
But they *feel* substantial, and when it comes to diet psychology, that's the important thing.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
But they *feel* substantial, and when it comes to diet psychology, that's the important thing.

Substantial? Rice cakes feel substantial? Gee, to me they pretty much feel like eating crunchy air.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Oreo thin crisps that come in those 100 calorie packs. They really aren't anything like oreos (other than delicious), but they're really good, and kill the chocolate cravings. I also like eating frozen blueberries - they're too cold to start chowing down on them, so I don't overeat.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I'm a fan of eating something if you really, really want to - in moderation. I ate some M&M's the other day, didn't slow my weight loss down a bit, of course I'd also done 60 minutes of cardio that day...but my point is, I don't ever want to feel like I'm "on a diet" and have to be deprived of things. I couldn't live like that my whole life. I intend to eat the way I'm eating now for the rest of my life, and that means that if I want some chocolate, I can eat some chocolate, so long as I understand that those calories have to be offset with exercise.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:

Substantial? Rice cakes feel substantial? Gee, to me they pretty much feel like eating crunchy air.
For me, the important thing is that they taste like junk food.

It doesn't matter that they have no nutritional value, they're a junky snack. But as I said, for a junky snack they're really low-cal.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hershey is making these chocolate covered pretzels that are around the 100 calorie range...they are sweet and salty goodness.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, now I really want chocolate!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.