FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ruining movies with a one line paraphrase. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ruining movies with a one line paraphrase.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the gin joints in the world, woman chooses to enter Moroccan nightclub.

rewrite of earlier attempt:
Spoiled Southern belle wears curtains; husband doesn't give a d*mn.

Jatraquera has no life; ups post count on a Friday night. (oh wait, I don't think they've released that one yet.)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone finally says "But what does it do?" and "It doesn't do anything, that's the beauty of it."
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
-2 hours of Woody Allen whining.
-A 14 year old girl flies a bunch of birds across international boundaries.
-Movie with prolonged periods of silence, a psychotic computer, and flashing lights at the end. (Oh wait- I still didn't like that movie.)
-Guy in prison.
-Nicholas Cage tries to write a movie about flowers.
-A jet engine doesn't fall on a kid because he was transported by a demonic bunny.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Columbo reads that 'Wonder Years' brat a bedtime story.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of birds show up and people get freaked out over it.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Short men keep a dead girl under glass because she looks so good.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
"A giant killer robot falls from the sky, gets amnesia, and learns about love, while a paranoid detective seeks to destroy it."

"Short men keep a dead girl under glass because she looks so good."

Not too big on movies, but these actually sound intriguing. What are the names of these actually?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I assume the first is The Iron Giant. The second is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
"Robot child is rejected by his mother and pairs with a male prostitute to find her again, only to spend a thousand years under a glacier."

*snort*

You couldn't paraphrase that movie in a 2000 word essay that would make anyone want to see it. And it's a male prostitue ROBOT.

I liked it. A lot, actually. Am I the only one?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
A guy and a girl meet on a boat. Then it sinks

Woman wakes up from coma and stabs people with a sword

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I assume the first is The Iron Giant. The second is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

The Iron Giant is totally worth watching. It's an awesome movie.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

One of the very few 1999 films worth remembering.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Man dies, kills people who killed him. (Hey, that could describe at least three movies I know of off the top of my head...)
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
One of the very few 1999 films worth remembering.

Seriously? 1999 had a fair number of good movies. Some of them include The Matrix, Fight Club, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Sixth Sense, and Toy Story 2. Maybe we just have really different tastes in movies, but I thought 1999 was pretty decent.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a 2000 movie, not 1999.

The Matrix? Eh, the sequels ruined it for me. The Sixth Sense I enjoyed the first time, but subsequent viewings didn't hold up well.

I loved Toy Story 2.

I've never seen Fight Club because people I know who -have- seen it already spoiled every twist for me, and keep claiming it will completely rewrite my entire life. [Smile]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

This boy wears some tights and gets some other kids to hang out with him, and they fight some pirates.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago we started this:

http://www.mildlyamusing.com/oldsite/entertainment/barely/barely.html

It never became the grand opus I'd hoped it would, but there were a couple of cute ones.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
There's this dweeb with a horrible family of losers and he learns to dance (sort of) and his dweeb friend becomes class president.

or

Dweebs and losers -- no plot.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Whiny, annoyingly cute little kid, who will eventually become evil incarnate, accidentally blows stuff up and still manages to bag the older chick who's rich and powerful.

Julia Roberts proves you can sue someone for a bazillion dollars using cleavage alone.

Computer decides to kill all humans on board after being subjected to three hours of classical music.

Theme park has dinosaurs that eat people who are unable to run away.

He was Keyser Soze all along.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
A man from the future and a random woman run away from the energizer bunny for 2 hours before finally crushing it in an industrial press.

9 people on a spaceship mess with some zombies and a government.

Kids with computers cause corporate chaos.

Side note: Porteiro, what was the first movie you posted?

quote:
Child kills a few other kids, plays video games, and commits genocide.
That one -^
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Highlights of the popular book, strung together.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

HEY! That's not a movie yet [Razz] No fair.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The one about the genocidal child is for Ender's Game.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Some guy does math and see things that aren't there.

Some boxer gets his butt kicked, gets really poor, then makes a comeback.

A bunch of guys on a B-17 nearly get killed on their last flight.

A bunch of guys with special powers fight other guys with special powers to protect everyone with out special powers.

Editted to add: Yeah, I guessed it was Ender's Game after I posted, hence the second post [Wink]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:

9 people on a spaceship mess with some zombies and a government.

I kept trying to come up with one for that -- not bad!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:

No, definitely not.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Gene Kelly is happy again, thanks to the invention of dubbing.
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
The FBI tries to arrest a mob leader, and pretty much everyone dies.

A chauvinist rapes his sister-in-law.

A secret agent tries to stop an evil person from taking over the world and has sex with many beautiful women along the way.

Two people on a cruise ship fall in love, but the ship sinks and the man dies.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by otterk10:
A secret agent tries to stop an evil person from taking over the world and has sex with many beautiful women along the way.

I suspect a fair number of people would want to see that film... [Smile]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Holy crap, she's a guy.

Patton single-handedly wins World War II by being an annoying bastard.

Roller derby, but with motorcycles and steel balls.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

A secret agent plays poker with a guy who is good at statistics.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Girl meets guy and lands up having a big fat Greek wedding.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Some comedians save the world from being overtaken by some ancient Hittite demon.

Alien learns to love Reese's Pieces.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
quote:

Heck, I bet they could even make more than one of them.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Conceited British spy has neat-o toys, thwarts evildoers and lands up getting the girl.

Repeat ad nauseam.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
quote:

Heck, I bet they could even make more than one of them.
Yeah, but you better make the agent British or something, give it some class. Otherwise, it'll just seem exploitive. [Wink]
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
It sank.

Astronauts go to Jupiter to identify an alien signal, but they never do.

Children find they shouldn't play with dead things.

Alan Alda discovers he's a jerk.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The ultimate one....

"Its like the book, but with most of the good stuff left out."

Others:

Its the VGer episode from the series, but stretched out way to long, and not as exciting.

Tom Cruise playing the part he always plays is in a uniform. Jack Nicholason playing the part he always plays is in a uniform. The fight, but in a court room.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
A baby barely survives a car crash which kills his parents and hallucinates about a magical universe for the rest of his life.

Now that's funny.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:

I liked part of it. But the last half hour or so made me want to gouge my eyes out with rusty garden implements. It was about the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. If I knew of a medical treatment that would help me to forget ever having seen it, I think I'd pay just about anything for it.

AI was a crime.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Gene Kelly is happy again, thanks to the invention of dubbing.

And the woman doing the real voice, ironically enough, was dubbed herself.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

It's a story about a robot who wants to be a human, but he can't becuase he's a robot, and after 200 years they let him be a human after he has killed himself.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It's hard to ruin a movie that's already awful, T_Smith. [Smile]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Heathens...
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Cruise kidnaps a bald woman who can tell him the future.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Dude... I really wouldn't want to see that movie after that.

A candy maker takes 5 kids for a tour through his factory.

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
A short man is given a ring by his uncle, but he returns it.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

A pampered female dog has a night of pasta and illegitimate sex with a mongrel.

(It's funny how no one ever notices that part...even though they have her canine neighbors offer marriage to save her honor.)

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Two guys try to find their car, after getting really smashed.

Two guys get high and go to their favorite fast food place.

This dude goes back to his hometown after his mother dies and falls in love with a girl who has seizures.

A really horrible transvestite director convinces his friends to make horrible movies with him time and time again.

A man with a low IQ becomes a national celebrity 8 different times.

Four boys design a rocket when everyone else thinks they are crazy.

A mermaid loves a human.

They try to fly a rocket ship to the moon, but the rocket has technical problems.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Hot Rod has got the touch, got the power.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.