FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ruining movies with a one line paraphrase. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ruining movies with a one line paraphrase.
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
It is worth watching. I had only read the first few examples when I composed and posted that. As I continued reading posts it dawned on me that I had misread what we were attempting to do here, but I decided to just leave it be. Let me try again with another movie.

"British diplomat, suddenly widowed, throws away career, and life, to avenge her against the pharmacutical industry and British government." -- Constant Gardener

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicholas Cage tries to write a screenplay. Takes advice from Nicholas Cage.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Japanese orphans eat dirt and die.

Boy gets infected by pig and falls in love with a girl raised by wolves.

Lesbian hides murder from the law and her girlfriend in 1930s Alabama.

Talking pig herds sheep.

Immortal battles other immortals in contest to get ahead.

Man marries sweetheart's sister till she dies of bad gas.

Giant robots crush mom's flowers -- Masturbation implicated.

Man, mistaken for Messiah, meets same fate.

Frozen spy tells many penis jokes.

Men in skirts combat other men until one is gutted and screams.

Woman reluctantly faces her fears while accompanied by a campy, rowdy cadre of space marines.

Man survives inappropriate touching from his sister, only to have his hand cut off by his father.

Angry Hockey player learns golf from one handed man; gets beat up by Bob Barker.

Women drive cross country only to run out of road.

Stoners find love, monkey, on trip to hollywood.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

William Shatner shows what a bad director he is.

A woman in a psychiatric ward refuses to speak.

An action movie sequel to an awesome video game.

A couple of teenagers build a plane in an alternate-history Japan.

A Soviet general gets purged by Stalin.

Two guys kill a dude; hold a party with his body in the room.

Dead people eat military asshats.

Scooby-Doo fights vampires

Scooby-Doo fights pirates

Scooby-Doo fights the internet

Scooby-Doo fights (insert random badguy here)

Family guy splices three episodes together to make a movie

A girl sends text messages back to Earth while travelling at reletavistic speeds.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

"Japanese orphans eat dirt and die."

Aww! Why am I laughing, hearing that movie described that way?

"Boy gets infected by pig and falls in love with a girl raised by wolves."

I've actually heard worse descriptions of that one.

"Immortal battles other immortals in contest to get ahead."

Good pun!

"Giant robots crush mom's flowers -- Masturbation implicated."

Eh? What's that one?

"Man survives inappropriate touching from his sister, only to have his hand cut off by his father."

Empire Strikes Back?

"Woman reluctantly faces her fears while accompanied by a campy, rowdy cadre of space marines"

Aliens?

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixiest wins. [ROFL]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Women drive cross country only to run out of road."

Cute. [Smile]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
0meg: Yes on your guesses. The giant robots one describes probably the worst scene in transformers.

I felt bad describing the Japanese Orphans movie that way. Till I started giggling.

Olivet: Yay!!! I won a thread! and a HUGE thread too! Thank you =)

Nighthawk: =)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yeah. I gotta agree. Pixiest won the thread.

So far.

Yes. As for the Japanese Orphans movie, I felt sad a moment reading it, until, yes, I started laughing. More of a combination "laugh" and "aww" all at one time.

Really? That's a scene in Transformers? Oh dear God...

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, the worst scene in Transformers is either the peeing Bumblebee scene...or ANY scene with Code-Crackin', Donut-Eatin' Sassy Black Stereotype Guy.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

... once again: Oh dear God...
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

These are kinda fun...

Young author and harlot girlfriend musically con Duke into building a theatre.

Froofy man tortures young woman, and wears masks in attempt to destroy government.

Barefoot man hides in air ducts during robbery attempt.

Meg Ryan stalks Tom Hanks from across the country.

Revolting Gladiator helps Dictatorship come to Rome.

Men fake kidnapping till woodchipper comes between them.

Sinking ship puts lovers' romance on ice.

Junky woman spurns rich and famous, but simple man till she gets sick.

Hitmen discuss european fast food on the way to their mark.

Man given entire planet seeks revenge on man who put him there and didn't call, didn't write.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

"Hitmen discuss european fast food on the way to their mark."

Oh, come on, that was, like, ten minutes of the movie, tops.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
...and it wasn't really a "mark", was it?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

mmm... I dunno.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Man marries sweetheart's sister till she dies of bad gas.

Sounds about right. I didn't like that movie at all.

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Meg Ryan stalks Tom Hanks from across the country.

Too true. I like this movie, but when you really look at what happens during it . . . . [Angst]

And even worse, she gives up the really great guy who GETS her and wants the same things she does for some guy she doesn't know who happens to have a sweet kid.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Three hours about a ship sinking.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude solves dysfunctional family problems till everybody dies and Poland invades.

Boy and girl, too young to marry, end up dieing thanks to their religious leader's silly plan.

(Or--better one: Its High School Musical, without the music, and set in Italy, and the kids die.)

Old dude writes will, retires, and goes bonkers in the rain till he dies.

Three old ladies and a nagging wife send a good guy into the world of ultimate dirty politics till he dies.

Child molesting dysfunctional family of fairies screw around with the love lives of Athens finest couples. (Surprisingly nobody dies)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
And even worse, she gives up the really great guy who GETS her and wants the same things she does for some guy she doesn't know who happens to have a sweet kid.

That's a pattern in Ephron movies. Her leads are always involved with somebody else, and these SOs are always given the flimsiest of flaws in order to justify them being dumped.

Meg Ryan's squeeze had allergies. Oooh, how terrible!

I agree with Mike Nelson, that it would have been easier to swallow if the guy had at least gotten UPSET when she dumped him.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Sarcastic samurai is irritated by association with enthusiastic samurai wannabe-rebel groupies, ends up feeling guilty about the whole thing.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Band of extremely ethnic children fight with extremely ethnic criminals for an extremely one-eyed pirate's hoard.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

That's a pattern in Ephron movies. Her leads are always involved with somebody else, and these SOs are always given the flimsiest of flaws in order to justify them being dumped.

Meg Ryan's squeeze had allergies. Oooh, how terrible!

I agree with Mike Nelson, that it would have been easier to swallow if the guy had at least gotten UPSET when she dumped him.

It didn't seem she dumped him because of the allergies, but because of the lack of "magic." If a friend used that line in real life, I'd tell her she was nuts. When I watch this movie, I get sucked in enough to get misty when she finally meets Tom Hanks.

I'm such a sucker.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of people go to four weddings. And a funeral.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
there is a dead bride. she stays dead.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Random people have psychological issues. Their therapist makes them worse. Depression ensues.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Various damaged people emote convincingly, are connected by frog rain.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
High school students join military, fight big bugs.

Rock band slides toward obscurity, kills several drummers.

Mopey teenage girl gets ahead of herself in martial arts, ruins things for everyone else.

Mopey teenage boy gets ahead of himself in the Force, ruins things for everyone else.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.