FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Speechless! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Speechless!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070706

This was just pure gold with a hint of tin.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one!
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I have seen the light! Why, I never thought of it that way before!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles evilly at rivka*

You know, I began to think that we are far too sarcastic in my house when my then-two-year-old began using sarcasm to emphasise her points. Correctly.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
C+A+D is hit and miss for me. Sometimes the comic feels like a obvious PA rip-off (and several other web comics), but then sometimes it's got a genius of its own. This particular comic fell flat because of the smarminess of the last panel. It annoys me, and that's speaking as an athiest myself. The little smile on Lucas' face as he triumphs over the religious fools or whatever they're trying to make out the world's religions to be just makes me want to reach out and smack the author.

The best humor is one based on some kind of truth. You can have your characters do all sorts of things that are rediculous, but someone has to be the straight-man. Someone has to react in a way that is believable and appropriate to the situation (see Monty Python's Parrot Sketch for John Cleese doing a classic straight-man routine). The last thing anyone would do when faced with a mob of murderous religious zealots is question their religion's a priori assumptions, and I know of few religious leaders who would personally take part it the breakup of a pseudo religion.

So you've got three things:
  • Stupid gag involving "video game religion" that wasn't even funny and had me rolling my eyes from the start.
  • Group of religious leaders who are obviously intolerant (and would therefore be unable to cooperate) out to beat the crap out of Ethan for starting his stupid religion.
  • Lucas' timely, and unintentionally ironic, Deus Ex Machina.

Putting them all together on the same panel is not funny. The bias of the author shines through in a write yourself in as the hero of the story fanfic kind of way. Lucas sweeps down and saves the day for everyone by pointing out that the whole religion thing is a bunch of crap and those religious dorks know it.

Stupid.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Good thing thats just your opinion and completely unimportant in the grander scheme as Tim still makes money from that comic. As it is pretty obvious other people liked it.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Good thing thats just your opinion and completely unimportant in the grander scheme as Tim still makes money from that comic. As it is pretty obvious other people liked it.

Pretty sure that comic is not the epitome of what the comic is capable of. Also its doubtful long time readers now see that comic as vindication for all their years of readership. It might alienate some of his readers, it might garner him more readership.

I thought a better punchline would have been something like, "Defeat him in his own element! He challenged you all to a round of DDR!"

Just the image of them all bouncing on DDR mats makes me snicker.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Slowest. Site. Ever.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
...Tim still makes money from that comic.

So it's funny because it's commercially successful?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:

Sex sells, DUH! Err..wait...
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
A Mary Sue isn't always a bad thing, but a Mary Sue that's there to show how right you are and how awful others are...yawn.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Nah. One word: Garfield.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, stop getting so defensive. You are not Ctrl-Alt-Del, just a reader. It's anyone's right to disagree with you. And every once in a while they'll be right!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I've found another analogy: Lucas' smile in the last panel annoys me like George Bush's little grins annoy me when he's being grilled.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've found another analogy: Lucas' smile in the last panel annoys me like George Bush's little grins annoy me when he's being grilled.
Dude, Godwin.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Every time you mention Godwin's law, a forest fire starts.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm just a co' thread killa!
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
All the comic means to me is that the writer has no idea on any level of what honest religious debate is about. It's not funny, it's just sad. I'm speechless too, but that's largely because when I hear people spouting ignorant lines like that, I just shut my mouth and walk away.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I laughed more at Blackblade's idea of DDR than I did at what was actually in the comic. I didn't mind the video game religion when it first started, but I think this little mini-arc has already gone too far. Wintereenmas amuses me, this feels like he is harping on it now.

And I know exactly what PC means about Bush's smile, and now that he's brought it up, I'm annoyed by Lucas' smile too.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

For C+A+D funny (warning, language):
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070509

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Maybe if he had some serious orange fret skills he could have done something with it!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

dude, its a web comic not social commentary your meant not to take it seriously sheesh. MY baptist/christian friend whose studying to be a theologian would undoubtably find it funny and find an argument that Lucas can't turn against him.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

If it's just a webcomic, why are you so upset about it?
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else crack up every time they hear Jon Stewart doing his Bush laugh? It's not even that great of an impression, and yet it tickles me so.

Heheheh...

[Smile]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I do, that and his Cheney impression. Neither are particularly "good" impressions, but they're still hysterical.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Probably because he's super hawt!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
its a web comic not social commentary your meant not to take it seriously sheesh
I'm trying to think of any definition of social commentary that your link doesn't fit into. Perhaps you could help. How, as you say, is it not social commentary?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Because its a joke on social commentary.
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard of the author and therefore completely misinerpreted the comic. I originally thought the look on the clegyman's face was a "wow, this guy's an idiot" look, not a "I have no comeback" look.

However, that's probably just because I'm in high school. While I am becoming more spiritual, 99% of my peers are becoming less spiritual.

My problem is not with athiests. My problem is with my classmates who are not religious because they are too lazy to follow any religions' rules. Unlike true athiests, they have no facts to back up their philosophies. Therefore, when they ask questions like the guy in the comic, I think to myself "wow, what an idiot."

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

"My problem is not with athiests. My problem is with my classmates who are not religious because they are too lazy to follow any religions' rules. Unlike true athiests, they have no facts to back up their philosophies."

How do you know that's why they're not religious? Also, what is a "true atheist"?

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Heh, I laughed more at Blackblade's idea of DDR than I did at what was actually in the comic. I didn't mind the video game religion when it first started, but I think this little mini-arc has already gone too far. Wintereenmas amuses me, this feels like he is harping on it now.

And I know exactly what PC means about Bush's smile, and now that he's brought it up, I'm annoyed by Lucas' smile too.

I agree. A DDR showdown would have been funny.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:

Satire is a form of social commentary.
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"My problem is not with athiests. My problem is with my classmates who are not religious because they are too lazy to follow any religions' rules. Unlike true athiests, they have no facts to back up their philosophies."

How do you know that's why they're not religious? Also, what is a "true atheist"?

How do I know? Here is what a conversation with the type of person I'm talking about might go like.

Joe: You still go to religious school once a week?
Me: Yeah, how about you Joe?
Joe: I'm atheist.
Me: Oh. Do you believe that God never existed, or that God is already dead.
Joe: Ummm... I don't really think about those things. I just always thought that religious school is boring.

Meanwhile, while "true atheists" don't believe in God, they still have their own set of beliefs, philosophies, and ideas.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*inserts definition of agnostic here*
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

quote:

Poking fun at the FSM would possibly have been a joke on social commentary, but that's a real stretch of an interpretation of this comic. This comic isn't making fun of any commentary, it's (clumsily) making fun of "reality." That, of course, being social commentary, as Primal Curve pointed out.
rollainm
Member # 8318

I'm not sure I have a problem with this Joe's response. Lots of things bore the heck out of me, and I generally don't give them any more thought than is absolutely necessary. Am I therefore lazy? Lack of interest and laziness are not synonymous.
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
*inserts definition of agnostic here*

I'm not sure if a debate on what constitutes atheism or agnosticism would be entirely appropriate or welcome in this thread, but I guess I'll go ahead and put my two cents in.

I am both agnostic and atheist. I am agnostic in the sense that I have no knowledge of the existence of a god. I am atheist in the sense that I believe there is no god.

rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Meanwhile, while "true atheists" don't believe in God, they still have their own set of beliefs, philosophies, and ideas.
How do you know this Joe does not?
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
In other webcomic news, xkcd was fairly funny today. Not nearly at the level that the best of xkcd reaches, but still mildly amusing. Wednesday's was absolutely hysterical, though.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

I love xkcd.
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:

I am both agnostic and atheist. I am agnostic in the sense that I have no knowledge of the existence of a god. I am atheist in the sense that I believe there is no god.

You are an atheist because of your belief that God does not exist. If you know that God doesn't exist, how then can you be an agnostic in any sense, since agnostics believe that the existence of God is unknowable?

Blayne, I agree with PC on the comic, it just... wasn't funny. [Dont Know] You shouldn't be offended when people don't laugh a the same comics you do. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Agnostic: Greek for "without knowledge" ("a" meaning "without," "gnosis" meaning "knowledge")

I do not claim to have knowledge of the existence of a god.

Atheist: "without belief" (in a god)

I lack belief in the existence of a god, or I believe there is no god. A belief does not necessarily require knowledge in order to be justified. I base this particular belief on, among other reasons, a lack of evidence FOR the existence of a god.

Therefore, I believe there is no god (atheism), but I lack the knowledge (agnostic) that this belief is true or false.

[ July 07, 2007, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: rollainm ]

The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought of atheism as being absolutely positive there is no God, and agnostic as not being sure. A no room for/room waiting kind of deal.. I'm sure if you play the semantics a certain way you can claim to be both but it seems to me it betrays their purpose to simply convey something in a conversation, or I've been listening to people wrong.
I'm definitely an atheist, I really really feel I know there is no Lord above, in my bones, but there's no way I can know that's true as far as evidence goes at this point.

As for the comic, I think it's silly because anyone can win an argument if they write the script, and the reaction to the "finishing blow" struck me as pretty goofy for that reason - but it's a fun lil' web thing that's not out to pick a fight.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly no Dinosaur Comic [Smile]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
C+A+D is hit and miss for me. Sometimes the comic feels like a obvious PA rip-off (and several other web comics), but then sometimes it's got a genius of its own.

I agree with this. There are times when I really enjoy it, and other times when I just shrug and move on to the next comic in my list.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Flying Dracula Hair:
I always thought of atheism as being absolutely positive there is no God, and agnostic as not being sure. A no room for/room waiting kind of deal.. I'm sure if you play the semantics a certain way you can claim to be both but it seems to me it betrays their purpose to simply convey something in a conversation, or I've been listening to people wrong.
I'm definitely an atheist, I really really feel I know there is no Lord above, in my bones, but there's no way I can know that's true as far as evidence goes at this point.

Maybe I'm just playing the semantics, but I always thought atheist and agnostic were saying two different things. Agnostic means you don't know and/or can't know the answer.

One you discover that, you decide where your beliefs are and where the probabilities lay. So, you can be agnostic and christian (I don't know, but I believe it and I'm almost sure) as well as being agnostic and atheist (I don't know, but I'm almost sure).

Make sense?

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how much a thread can deviate on the first page alone...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I blame the Australians.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

It's not like there was much about the original topic to talk about. [Dont Know]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.