FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Need Music. My Ears Must FEED! (Returning to the Feast) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I Need Music. My Ears Must FEED! (Returning to the Feast)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone recommend a good band that plays really loud, really fast, really heavy, testosterone charged, primal fury rock music?

I need something that's the equivalent of smashing your brain out with a brick for some reason. I'm not a huge fan of death or black metal though.

I'm willing to try just about anything though. It needs to fit the above requirements.

[ January 04, 2008, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Artist Life might not be heavy enough for you but they are a pretty solid band and there is a free digital EP available for download from the link there. Check them out.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Religion. Original SoCal hardcore punk. EDIT: Especially anything off of "80-85". It's their early raw phase, when they were just banging on their instruments and mad as heck. "Eat Your Dog" or "Pity" are good examples if you want to listen to a couple tracks.

I don't know if you can call it "testosterone charged" but Man... Or Astroman is hard-edged indie/punk/surf rock. Heavy on guitars, very little in the way of lyrics, except for some sweet samples of old sci-fi shows/films at the beginning or end. Listen to their "Transmissions from Venus".

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I like some punk rock. But right now I'm looking for brain smashing, fist pumping, head banging metal.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Still, try Bad Religion from the album above (80-85). You can definitely head-bang to it. It's like 5 minute metal songs condensed into 60-120 second sonic fury. Playing it loud will definitely increase adrenaline.

Might not work this time, but there may be a time when it fits.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
For metal, I suggest Trivium, Chevelle, Boysetsfire, and Between The Buried and Me.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Pantera.

I think a psychologist may be a better idea though.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm looking into the band Living Sacrifice right now. I already listen to Pantera. I listen to some Chevelle.

The Bad Religion stuff fits a different mood.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the bad religion track from guitar hero...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

"Infected" is a pretty good song.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
DIR EN GREY DOOD!
Check out some late Dir en grey.
They are not pure metal but something entirely different.
They ROCK

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Deftones is one of my favorite bands ever. Not all of their stuff is fast, but they are really incredible.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
From what you're requesting I would think your topic should be "My Ears Must BLEED!"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That's dessert.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dir en grey toured with Deftones.
Dir en grey PWNS Deftones.

Fair to Midland is not so bad either.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Black metal is the only way, you must submit.

Or there's Guitar Wolf, if you don't care about technical ability, or it sounding good.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I'm going to give you a name that you've probably heard before.

Yoko Kanno

Forget whether you like anime or not, just listen to the music from Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell series, Wolf's Rain, or Escaflowne.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I've never even heard of any of those shows.
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
Fear Factory
Entombed
Iced Earth
Sepultura

allmusic.com - type Sepultura and see Speed Metal and Thrash links.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I've never even heard of any of those shows.

That's ok. The soundtracks are cheaper anyway. [Wink] I could send you some samples [Smile] What kind of music do you like? A wide variety I'm guessing from your hunger. [Razz]

EDIT: Ah, your first post specifies this.

Might I recommend the following tracks from various OST's.

Titles by Series:

Cowboy Bebop
Pushing the Sky
Live in Baghdad<<maybe too heavy
The Real Man

Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Run Rabbit Junk
Inner Universe
Rise
Dear John

Genesis of Aquarion
CyberFolk Music

[ July 18, 2007, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Earendil18 ]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Some viking Bathory!

But I'll quit riding that for second, 'cause I forgot that Big Black (no, not metal) fits your description. I'd check out the songs "Cables" from the album The Hammer Party and the entirety of Rich Man's Eight Track Tape (if you're looking for a sample, give the first four songs a chance). Very much recommend it if you're really looking for really loud, really fast, really heavy, testosterone charged, primal fury rock music.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthesia beat me to Dir en Grey, as usual.
Also in the J-rock genre you could try:
the GazettE
Abingdon Boys School
Maximum the Hormone

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful Creatures.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Can't go wrong with Yoko Kanno for every type of music
Jazz
ethereal girly stuff
metal.

AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend: Slipknot, Skindred, Lamb of God
Skindred (Infused reggae and metal)
LAMB OF GOD (awesome) I think LOG will definitely do the trick for you. I agree with Fear Factory (sick drummer, same with Slipknot{but drummers})
Lacuna Coil, is a little more mellow but enjoyable.
Korn has always been good for me, but that's not as heavy as you're looking for.
Let me know what you think!

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Disturbed is good, solid head-banging metal. Iron Maiden never fails to pump me up, but they're not exactly heavy in the same genre as Lamb of God or Slipknot. I still think of Maiden as the penultimate band in heaviness.

You like it when girls scream, right?

Can't go wrong with Kittie.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Strung Out is a combination of Punk Rock and Metal. It's loud, really fast, pretty heavy, testosterone charged, etc. "Bring Out Your Dead" from Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues is good, but the rest of that album may be a bit mellow for your tastes. You might like the albums American Paradox and The Elements of Sonic Defiance.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Disturbed, Fear Factory, Korn, and Sepultura are already in my rotation.

I only like a couple of Slipknot songs. I just can't get into them very much for some reason. I like their style alright. And it's loud, fast, and heavy. I like the vocalist. But I don't find myself thinking, "Let's listen to some Slipknot."

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Try "Bawatabaw" by "Kid Rock" and "Rusty Nail" by "XJapan."

I'm not the biggest fan of metal but I like both those songs alot. Rap and rock just seem to go together so well.

Deftones are VERY interesting, but I would not call them testosterone charge head banging, but "Digital Bath" "Change (In The House of Flies)" and "Feiticeira" are all solid tracks. Their cover of "The Chauffer" by Duran Duran shouldn't be missed either.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

How about Norma Jean and various other Metalcore.
Your head will explode
Your ears will bleed.
It will be disgusting.

Maybe I used to Hate Cell Phones Now I hate Car Accidents or something like that might help

Ooo. X Japan.
Kaoru likes them. He loves them in fact.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ooo. X Japan.
Kaoru likes them. He loves them in fact.

They are really talented song writers, but honesetly you could listen to two of their songs and have no idea they were the same band. They have some extremely mellow piano/string combination pieces and then hard rockin guitar riffs.

I love both styles but I could see how a metal head could turn them on and say, "EH?!"

[ July 18, 2007, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It's like that with Dir en grey.
That's what makes them spiffy.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
How about Norma Jean and various other Metalcore.
Your head will explode
Your ears will bleed.
It will be disgusting.

Maybe I used to Hate Cell Phones Now I hate Car Accidents or something like that might help

I've seen them live. Twice. And I've seen The Chariot (the original singer's new band) live. Once.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by camus:
Strung Out is a combination of Punk Rock and Metal. It's loud, really fast, pretty heavy, testosterone charged, etc. "Bring Out Your Dead" from Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues is good, but the rest of that album may be a bit mellow for your tastes. You might like the albums American Paradox and The Elements of Sonic Defiance.

I'm actually liking some of the stuff I'm listening to by them. Especially on An American Paradox. I might have to buy this album.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm late to the thread, but you might want to check out Corrosion of Conformity, if you haven't already. (<--myspace page) I haven't listened to them in a long time, and they might have changed their sound, but I think they fit your prerequisites.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Fair to Midland is not so bad either.

d00d, is Fair to Midland that well known?

My band used to play gigs with their keyboard player. He was in a prog metal band called "Cold Fuzion".

I gotta go now and see if they still have the same keyboard player...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Wow... that's cool...they've gotten pretty big!

Good for Matt.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

In that mood again, any more suggestions? None of the stuff named above seems to do the trick.
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... I'll second Between the Buried and Me.
Perhaps you'd like some of The Misfits live stuff.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

quote:
Originally posted by bluenessuno:
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal

Good one dude, but that's black metal [Razz]
"I need something that's the equivalent of smashing your brain out with a brick for some reason. I'm not a huge fan of death or black metal though."

Did you ever try the Big Black suggestions, Steve?

Edit for quotey weirdness
Edit again to add

Try Boris, I know fer sure Akuma no Uta as it's the only one I own (funny this thread came up again because I was listening to it again yesterday)

bluenessuno
Member # 5535

Well, I closed in on, "I'm willing to try just about anything -"

Iraqi Metal Acrassicauda http://heavymetalinbaghdad.com/
http://www.myspace.com/wwwacrassicaudas5com

http://www.metalmusicians.net/

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Coal Chamber
A Wilhelm Scream
Muse
Dream Theater
Shadows Fall
I know you like Rammstein, have you checked out their new material? It kicks some serious fanny.
Priestess
I could go on forever, if you want.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Family Force Five
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Paisley
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Family Force Five

They're good. But they aren't quite what I'm looking for right now. They are good though. And they put on a really good live show.

Flaming Toad- I haven't listened to any of Rammstein's newer stuff. You also listed MUSE as a suggestion. I've been listening to them some lately. His falsetto kills. But not what I had in mind.

EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
Coal Chamber
A Wilhelm Scream
Muse
Dream Theater
Shadows Fall
I know you like Rammstein, have you checked out their new material? It kicks some serious fanny.
Priestess
I could go on forever, if you want.

Second on the Wilhelm suggestion!

And SteveRogers, there are way too many kinds of music that can provide that whole primal fury need that you have. Would you have somebody singing or screaming? Punishing riffs or technical riffs? Singing about real life or dragons?

I recommend In Flames. Colony is a good album, as is the Jester Race.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I like singing. And I like some screaming. But it has to be at least mildly intelligible screaming. Some combination of technical and punishing riffs. And no dragons.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Not even DragonForce?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
did you post about Foxy Shazam before? If you did and liked them, I recommend the Blood Brothers. Something in the neighborhood of about fifty bazillion times better, yet similar.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.