FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Regarding the Epilogue to Deathly Hallows (Spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Regarding the Epilogue to Deathly Hallows (Spoilers)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
Maybe James' middle name is Sirius?

That was what I was assuming.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I will concede there could have been a brief, three days later, scene that laid plot points, that allowed the Epilogue as it stands to make more sense. But still everything in the 'three days later' can be guest and/or assumed. As can, what happened in the intervening years.

Does it matter what job Harry got, as long as he got one and took care of his family? Yes, it matters to you, but you can fill in the blanks with your imagination.

I say Harry worked for Weasley Enterprises, other say he was an Auror, others think he was a Quidditch Star, but whatever he did, we know he loved and took care of his family, and that is most important to me.

Was Harry damaged? Certainly he was, just as the World War II veterans who took part in the great battles of that war were, but what did they do? They came home and got on with normal life, because after the horrors of war, normal was all they really wanted. Did it never haunt them, certainly it did. In the dark and dangerous recesses of their minds, those horrors were always with them, but they didn't burden their families.

For their families, they wanted beauty and love and hope, not darkness and despair. I'm always moved when I see WWII vets, now over a half century later, break down in tears as they recount their war traumas. They held that darkness and pain all these year because they wanted to protect their loved ones from it. I think that is a noble thing; part of what makes them 'The Greatest Generation'.

I think that is also what make Harry and the gang part of their 'greatest generation', that they put war and pain and despair behind them and moved on.

Just one man's thoughts.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought James middle name would be Arthur, more like. Maybe Lily's middle name is Arthur. [Wink] Maybe you only name kids after dead people.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they knew a whole lot about PTSD back during WW2
They don't understand enough about it these days.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Maybe Lily's middle name is Arthur. [Wink]

Maybe it's Fred.

---

I'm in the camp of people who think the book didn't need an epilogue, let alone one taking place nineteen years later. I didn't really need to be told that "All was well" nineteen years later - unless Ron managed to disarm Harry and take the Elder Wand, of course all was going to be well. It felt silly and superficial, and my Deathly Hallows will always end on page 749. Harry's "I've had enough trouble for a lifetime" is ending enough for me.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I prefer to think Harry and the gang continued to have some adventures from time to time and ended up working at Hogwarts, (his only true home).
I think the Epilogue pretty clearly establishes that Harry, Ginny and all the other adults we meet on the platform do not teach at Hogwarts, since none of them get on the train.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
And they promise to write their kids.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I prefer to think Harry and the gang continued to have some adventures from time to time and ended up working at Hogwarts, (his only true home).
I think the Epilogue pretty clearly establishes that Harry, Ginny and all the other adults we meet on the platform do not teach at Hogwarts, since none of them get on the train.
They don't really have to get on the train to go to Hogwarts though
That was just Lupin because Lupin is poor and Slughorn just wanted to recruit students for his club.
I don't know how Dumbledore, McGonagall, ect all got to school. Brooms? Apparating at Hogsmeade?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I didn't like the epilogue was that it was written in the tone of the first three books. The entire 7th book is written as a book for adults, and then the epilogue reverts back to a children's story. The last sentence might as well have been, "and they all lived happily ever after."
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It makes sense to me.
Back in the first book, Harry was innocent. Now he has children who can stay safe and innocent in a new world.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know how Dumbledore, McGonagall, ect all got to school.
I'm pretty sure the administration lives at the school.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Yes, I would have to agree Harry and the gang weren't teaching at Hogwarts at the time of the epilogue, but it doesn't mean they couldn't have taught there at some point in the 19 years.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Or later, considering the teachers are mostly grumpy old people.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure when the seventh movie comes out, the epilouge will become the final scene. Then JKR will jsut have them slip in a shot of a Daily Prophet that happens to have headlines about all of the characters we are missing out on.

"Minister Shacklebolt passes some new act"

"Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes #1 Joke Shop"

"Headmaster *Blank* continuing some sort of tradition."

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
And, hopefully, "Remember that old Umbridge hag, we finally found her soulless body."
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
There were only maybe two sentences missing from the epilogue that I would have liked to have seen.

Harry is an Auror or whatever.
Luna and George got married [Wink]

I think it's pretty obvious that Harry had never raised but had always taken care of Teddy. Also that Victoire is Bill and Fleur's, a year younger than Teddy, probably concieved just after the final battle.

I also had no problem with the 19 years later. The oldest son was 12, and Harry was 18 at the end of the final battle so Harry was 25 when that son was born, I don't see that as excessive at all.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Chudley Cannons win championship!"
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yeah, I don't think Harry actually ever had Teddy living with him, because his son insists that Ted can have his room.
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
"Chudley Cannons win championship!"

Now that's what was missing.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Now I've seen more than one person say that we ahouls all just like the ending the and imagine the rest for ourselves. But can't you see that it isn't just the same? I didn't write the books, so anything I just imagine just doesn't seem right to me. I want to see J.K. Rowling tell me what happened, because then I've got finality. If she does it, then there's no disputing it. This way, you don't tell someone what you thought could have happened, and then they give you 5 reasons why it couldn't have. If she told us, its undisputable and official, which is what I want.

But as they say, To Each His Own.

[ July 24, 2007, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Reticulum ]

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yes, but as "they" also say, "Transformers was the greatest movie ever!"
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we're getting our encyclopedia.

[Party]

Article contains spoilers and also reveals the character who got a reprieve and one the wasn't meant to die but did.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, while Harry is not a full time Hogwarts teacher, he does come and do guest lectures on Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Also that Victoire is Bill and Fleur's, a year younger than Teddy, probably conceived just after the final battle.

If she's about to start her last year at Hogwarts, she'd have to be younger than that. 16, almost 17 tops.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't I have my fun? Though actually Hermione turned 17 very early in their 6th year, and would be turning 18, still not quite enough time. She would have just graduated if born then. I guess they waited a year.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Or she has an older sibling (or two).
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

That I'll take. I think someone needs to have a bit of comfort immeadiatly after the first battle, Bill and Fleur seem like the perfect choice.
rivka
Member # 4859

I vote for twin boys. [Big Grin]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Heh, yes twin boys, who aren't at all attracted to veelas. But really Percy deserves redheaded twins more than Bill does.
rivka
Member # 4859

Give 'em each a set! Twins run in the family, after all.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

You want a set too while we're wishing?
rivka
Member # 4859

NO!
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Identical twins are not hereditary -- they are a genetic fluke that occur in 4 out of every 1000 live births. Fraternal twins are hereditary, but only through the mother, since it requires her body to act in such a way as to release 2 eggs. They are also common among women who take fertility drugs. Hmmmm...fertility magic?? [Smile]

Sorry about the nerdy talk...for various reasons I got curious and did a bit of research just a month or two ago.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Identical twins are not hereditary

Actually, there is evidence that a some of them are indeed hereditary.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

There is a family in my mom's school with two sets of identical twin boys. This might be just one random fluke.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
NO!

I'll take Rivka's pair if she doesn't want em.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

You could eat yams for that effect.

I wouldn't mind having twins, but that's because my ovaries keep taking over my mind making me forget that babies=difficult.

Christine
Member # 8594

Well, as I spent 30 minutes out of every hour and a half nursing my son for the first 6 weeks, I'm not sure how I'd manage twins. I know people do, but I'm glad it's not me! [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

There's so cute though. Two adorable babies!

GAH!

pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
NO!
[ROFL]

I heard once that the proportion of identical to fraternal twins is the opposite in Japan to what it is here in America, that is, the identical twins are more common (70/30 %) there. And no "how can they tell?" jokes.

I've also heard folk reports that some women can be... encouraged... to release multiple eggs. Though in the cases where people report this, one twin miscarried, so it doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. My dad's side of the family is identical-twin-carrying. My great aunts Velma and Zelma (I know, poor kids, right?) are identical, and my cousin was born an identical twin (her sister died at a young age). It's a skip-a-generation sort of thing, or at least it has been so far. I'm not from that line, though, so probably no twins for me...though I have to agree, twin babies are the cuteness!
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that it would have been nice if Harry became the defence against dark arts teacher at Hogwarts. I mean, he was practically doing that job during his 5th year when he formed DA, and look how good his students turned out. Many of them were dueling Death Eaters and holding their own in the final battle! They could even all form patronuses, which is something that was thought to be beyond the abilities of most inexperienced wizards. And who in the wizarding world wouldn't like the idea of Harry Potter training kids to defend themselves against dark magic? He certainly has the practical experience and an impressive track record.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
NO!

Don't you think you might want to check with your wife first?

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
You could eat yams for that effect.

Although they'd be fraternal, not identical. Also, American/European "yams" are actually sweet potatoes. Only true yams, which mostly grow in South America, have the estrogenic effects you're talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Well, as I spent 30 minutes out of every hour and a half nursing my son for the first 6 weeks, I'm not sure how I'd manage twins. I know people do, but I'm glad it's not me! [Smile]

Exactly. I've done the one-baby-at-a-time routine three times. Totally worth it, but the idea of dealing with TWO at once makes me lightheaded.

My mom has three sisters. Two produced a set of fraternal twins apiece. So they probably DO run in the family. This is why my favorite part of each ultrasound was when they confirmed there was one healthy baby.

Christine
Member # 8594

Well, there's no question that fraternal twins run in families. It's the identical ones that are in question...I did another look around the internet today (briefly) and still found the same stuff I did last time...fraternal is hereditary identical not....or maybe just not *proven*. Who knows, really? We learn something new all the time. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

This discussion, while not scientific, raises some of the questions. I wish those posts had dates.
pooka
Member # 5003

Maybe Harry taught until Ted arrived at the school.
heifertipper
Member # 10612

- posted      Profile for heifertipper   Email heifertipper         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there is some possible evidence on identical twins being hereditary but it is very little and if you really think about it, you can correlate anything if you look hard enough. A woman having fraternal twins is much more likely because some women are predisposed to drop more than one egg at a time. My best example to this comes from cattle, my family has been dairy farming for 45 years so we have a lot of records on births over a long period of time. We have about a 5% twinning rate with our cows and I am constantly analyzing the genetics for breeding and health purposes. I have only ever found a correlation in fraternal twinning. It is a lot easier to notice in cows because we hate it when we have mixed sex twins. If a cow gives birth to a female and male calf, the female has a 95% chance of being sterile,what we call a freemartin, and since we are dairy farmers that isn't a good thing. So we tend to watch the cows that have a tendency to twin, they both need to be female if they will be worthwhile, and since there are a lot of complications that come along with a multiple birth we are a lot happier if it is a single birth.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Rowling was on Today this morning, and she said that the epilogue was originally a lot longer and more detailed. But that it didn't work as writing, so she reduced it. But she did say that Ron and Harry revolutionized the Auror department, and that Hermione is very high up in magical law enforcement.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Here's the full article:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

Have to say, I didn't think Harry would become an auror, especially after he got the Elder wand, but at least I know now. It feels better to know....as for a poetic vs tell-y ending...even as a writer I have to say that in this case, I would have preferred a big chunk of information dumped on my head. We've just known these characters too long not to care and want to know. [Smile]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rivka:
NO!

quote:
Don't you think you might want to check with your wife first?
It was HER idea! [Smile] Or were you saying she might not want a set of twins originally reserved for Rivka?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.