FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Voldemort vs. Sauron (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Voldemort vs. Sauron
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
What are some other examples of a device where someone puts their soul/essence/power (or part of it) into an object, making them stronger/immortal/etc.?

• The One Ring from Tolkien
  • Horcruxes from JKR
  • in the book Taran Wanderer, a magician put his soul in his finger, then cut off and hid that finger.
  • In D&D, there's a spell called Magic Jar which lets you put your soul into a jem.

What are some more examples?

The Red Crown of Omadon from "Flight of Dragons".
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of Russian folk tales had magicians cutting out their hearts and hiding them to protect themselves, IIRC.

I would agree that Dorian Gray was an good example as well.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The Potterverse vs. the Frodoverse:

The Frodoverse. It actually has a well-constructed background and magic with some semblance of rules.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:

The Orcs of Moria vs. The Goblins of Gringotts?

It depends. With the exception of a few subtypes, Tolkein's orcs tended to be pretty weak and stupid. However, there were pretty much always a lot of them, so numbers might tip the scale.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find interesting is that Rowling used the bastardized idea of the Elves as short things with little power. One thing Tolkien despised was the fall of the perception of the Elves of mythology to diminutive silly sprites, and even went as far as voicing his anger with Shakespeare with contributing to this idea in “Midsummer Night”. Tolkien said that another place the trend began was in “Canterbury Tales” when one of the characters was talking about the Fair Folk and how they have “diminished” in the face of Christianity. What was meant that the belief in them was dying out, or that the Elves’ influence was fading, but readers took it as the Elves shrank in stature.

Hence we go from tall, powerful beings living in hills or in the train of the Gods, blessing swords and whatnot, to Santa’s helpers, the Keebler elves, and now house elves, etc…

Granted Rowling isn’t an anthropologist and was just using the myths as they are popularly thought of, as apposed to the real sources of that myth. Another example is how she used the Goblins instead of the Dwarves/gnomes. As far as I am aware the root of the word goblin means demon, however many translators in olden days would group dwarves, gnomes, and goblins as the same thing. This inaccuracy would have then spread to the general population and thus giving the goblins the same characteristics as the dwarves.

Of course, on second thought, she might very well know all this and decided to use the versions that she did on purpose. Not the choice that I as a Tolkien sympathizer and Elf lover would have chosen, but heck, it's not my story. [Wink]

[ August 06, 2007, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Potterverse vs. the Frodoverse
*stones AFR for using the abominable word "Frodoverse"*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
:::throws a second stone:::
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's clearly "Frodo of the Nine fingerverse"

P.S. House Elves were small but had magic that was more powerful in different ways or something.

[ August 06, 2007, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh no, how could I have killed the Sauron v. Voldemort thread?

Okay, what about Arwen v. Fleur? Who is sexier?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Arwen.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Arwen/Luthien.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait-- Arwen of the movie, or Arwen of the book?

Arwen of the book didn't do much, that I remember...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That's why I said Arwen/Luthien. [Smile]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
The Potterverse vs. the Frodoverse
*stones AFR for using the abominable word "Frodoverse"*
You're just answering my question. Notice how you didn't get up in arms about "Potterverse" because it's a universe you don't care about. So nyah.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Notice how you didn't get up in arms about "Potterverse" because it's a universe you don't care about. So nyah
"Potterverse" accurately identifies the milieu of that story. "Frodoverse" is demeaning because it implies that Middle Earth is simply Frodo's story. Not true. Not even remotely true.

The Harry Potter books, on the other hand, exist to tell Harry's story, so "Potterverse" is accurate. Middle Earth does not exist to tell Frodo's story however, there are many powerful, deep, rich tales set in Middle Earth that don't involve Frodo at all.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Not to mention the fact* that Middle Earth already has a name.

*What the heck does this phrase mean? Pretty much the opposite of what it says?

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't look now, but I'm posting something.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Frodoverse:Middle Earth::Dobbyverse:Potterverse
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Middle Earth is actually a little too specific to mean the entire sphere of Tolkien stories set in that (this?) universe. The undying lands, sometimes called Valinor, are outside ME, of course, and much of the cycle is set there.

Arda is the word that means the whole world, and Ea (with dots over the a) designates the entire material or physical universe, which was created with the song of the Ainur. There's no word, as far as I know, for the whole of everything including the realms in which Eru Illuvatar dwelt before the Ainur were created out of this thought, and where they were when they sang Ea into being.

Ea means "it is" or "that which is". That's probably the closest translation of "universe" that exists in the languages of Arda.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Illuvatar and the other Ainur reside in the "Timeless Halls" (strangely which is what the palace of Manwe & Varda at the summit of Taniquetil, Ilmarin, is called at times) and Eä is Everything else.

So Eä and the Timeless Halls. [Smile]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Or just Middle-Earth. It's not technically correct, but it's a heck of a lot better than Frodoverse.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And while it isn't technically correct, most people will know what you're referring to if you call it Middle Earth. Eä and the Timeless Halls--not so much.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

And you won't get stoned for it either.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
Illuvatar and the other Ainur reside in the "Timeless Halls" (strangely which is what the palace of Manwe & Varda at the summit of Taniquetil, Ilmarin, is called at times) and Eä is Everything else.

So Eä and the Timeless Halls. [Smile]

Great band name. [Wink]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
And you won't get stoned for it either.

[ROFL]
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually use 'Tolkienverse' when I want to refer to the stories Tolkien created.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, how's this.... Tolkien Orcs v.s. Klingons (TNG or later editions).

OK, easy. Klingon's.

So what would happen if we put up a couple Klingon's VS a Tolkien Troll...

(well, for one thing, the Klingon's would have an instant Wargasm and begin hacking away to their own delight.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Uruk-hai would be about even with Klingons. The troll would squash the Klingons. Then again, I'm not including phasers and similar technology.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Klingons, both times, against both opponents, with or without phasers.

And I'm not a fan of Star Trek. But Klingons are smarter and much stronger than orcs; and are smarter than trolls.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.