FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Zeugma's "How to delete an account?" Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Zeugma's "How to delete an account?" Thread
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, what on earth happened that makes you so anxious to erase any trace of being here?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I honestly do not understand the objections to this thread. Not even a little bit.

Do you actually mean "do not understand" here or rather that you "do not agree with" the objections?

For example, starting from the beginning, the first clearly stated objection is mph's, expressing doubts about the efficacy of your chosen method. What part of that objection did you not understand? Or rather, do you just disagree with it?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, for the threads that you started, would you consider just editing out all the contents of the initial post instead of deleting the entire thread?
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I honestly do not understand the objections to this thread. Not even a little bit.
I honestly don't believe you.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
And when it comes to the wishes of some of the members here to never see a thread deleted.... well, why aren't you guys out rallying against the pruning process?

This certainly doesn't reflect my position, which is that only mods, admins, or automated pruning should be able to delete threads or edit/delete posts after the expiry of a 10-minute labelled edit window.

One possible way to resolve your initial problem without removing your posts would have been to ask that your account be banned.

[Edited to remove a stray comma.]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Zeugma, what on earth happened that makes you so anxious to erase any trace of being here?
I've been wanting to do this for years. This morning I simply wanted to leave, but seeing how this warm, loving community has responded to my decision makes me want to scream from the rooftops that I'm no longer involved with this place.

I'll try to edit out the half dozen thread-starting posts I've made instead of deleting them from here on out, but to be honest it's taking a lot of energy just to delete them, and I'm quickly losing my ability to about what the community here thinks. Lisa's right, I'm just an immature snot after all.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lisa's right, I'm just an immature snot after all.
Weeeeelllll...
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Well...lots of people just "go away" for a while. I did for several years. And nothing says that you have to come back if you don't want to coma back.

It may do you a world of good to stop posting here for a while (though I believe you would be missed), but, as gratifyingly spectacular as the flames might be, burning bridges usually ends up being something to regret.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, here are the concerns:

1) When you remove your posts from the forum, you're not just leaving. You're killing yourself. I will mourn you as if you had died, and will miss your contributions.

2) There are people who have posted in your threads and in replies to you who do not want their contributions deleted or rendered meaningless, and deleting your words without taking their feelings into account is, IMO, fairly insensitive.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, I was curious about how many threads you'd started, so I checked. (Thank you for at least making the attempt to not delete your thread starting posts, by the way.) It's over 50, and one of them is actually about someone else deleting a thread, because you were unhappy your post was deleted. I found that somewhat amusing, in a sad way.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it probably won't mean anything to you, but it makes me sad that this particular turn of events is the note you want to go out on. I'd rather not have this kerfuffle / massive post deletion be my last memories of you. But, well, I guess that's not really my choice.

I'll miss ya, poly/alr/zeugma.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, it sure seems like a lot of work for nothing. I'm sure there are plenty of places where you've been quoted, so your words are preserved regardless of what you do. And there have probably been people going off and saving threads you started since you announced this. So it all seems kind of pointless to me.

The heads up was nice, though. I was able to go save a thread that I had participated in and didn't want to lose. I would have been sad if I'd only discovered that it was gone when I'd tried to search for it.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

Do you actually mean "do not understand" here or rather that you "do not agree with" the objections?

For example, starting from the beginning, the first clearly stated objection is mph's, expressing doubts about the efficacy of your chosen method. What part of that objection did you not understand? Or rather, do you just disagree with it?

Fair enough. That's a great example. No, I honestly do not understand how disagreeing about the efficacy of my actions is grounds for objecting to them. Maybe you can explain that to me. That's like me objecting to someone's post because I would have phrased it differently.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I honestly don't believe you.
I'd say that I'm honestly concerned about whether you believe me or not, but honestly? I'm not.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
As others have said, it isn't the leaving, it's the manner in which you want to leave that has people ruffled.

You could have left with a simple good-bye thread, or nothing at all, and I doubt anyone would have faulted you. Been a little said, perhaps.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's like me objecting to someone's post because I would have phrased it differently.
I think most people who are upset that this thread exists are objecting to it precisely because they would have phrased it differently.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Zeugma, I was curious about how many threads you'd started, so I checked. (Thank you for at least making the attempt to not delete your thread starting posts, by the way.) It's over 50, and one of them is actually about someone else deleting a thread, because you were unhappy your post was deleted. I found that somewhat amusing, in a sad way.

And for those who've been abusing the word "hypocrisy", that's a correct example of it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
That's like me objecting to someone's post because I would have phrased it differently.
I think most people who are upset that this thread exists are objecting to it precisely because they would have phrased it differently.
How is that possible? I mean, I didn't "phrase" anything at all at first. I copied it without comment, no? Anything I've said since then has been... well, it's been since then.
ElJay
Member # 6358

The thread was from almost two years ago. People are allowed to change their minds without being hypocrits.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

I've tried "going away". I always get drawn back. I've always thought that completely removing myself from the forum would fix that, and I'm ready to do it.

It does bother me that some of you would be upset by the disappearance of the threads I've started, especially those of you who aren't trying to jab a sharp stick in my eye. However, I also know that, if I'd been able to just click a button and make them all vanish, none of you would ever have noticed. The relative value of those few threads is insignificant in the sea of content here.

And yes, it's very fitting that one of the threads I started was about thread deletion. Exactly what I mean when I say I don't want the old me hanging around here anymore. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, I honestly do not understand how disagreeing about the efficacy of my actions is grounds for objecting to them.
The complaint is that you're acting like a jerk. That you're acting like a jerk in order to stop somebody else from acting like a jerk doesn't ameliorate it.

When I said "Acting like a jerk is not a good way to get others to stop acting like jerks.", I didn't merely mean good as in effective. I also meant good as in right, proper, and good.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, are you going to erase posts from your previous screen name also?

I for one will miss you either way. But I think you have my "real" email address, if you'd like to keep in touch. [Wink]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, I also know that, if I'd been able to just click a button and make them all vanish, none of you would ever have noticed.

Not true. Wouldn't have noticed today, sure. Probably not even this week. But I have looked up old threads of yours (mostly the animation ones) before, and I probably would have again.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've tried "going away". I always get drawn back. I've always thought that completely removing myself from the forum would fix that, and I'm ready to do it.

You've been offered several solutions to that objection that don't involve you attempting to erase your very existence. Most of them don't even require any self-discipline on your part.

To be honest, I don't believe that you really just want to 'go away'. I think it's more that you want to make a dramatic exit. It's also been my observation that people who mainly want to make a dramatic exit aren't the ones who really want to go away -- they want people to talk them into staying.

The people who really want to go away just go.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

But Porter, you always think I'm a jerk. I could post my shopping list, and you'd find a way to hit me for it. It kind of devalues the criticism a bit, don't you think?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That is gross misrepresentation of me and my behavior towards you.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Zeugma, are you going to erase posts from your previous screen name also?

I for one will miss you either way. But I think you have my "real" email address, if you'd like to keep in touch.

This post exhibits: 1) How Banna is a kinder, sweeter, warmer person than I am.
2) Why she's such a treasure of a friend. Don't lose the e-mail, Zeugma.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Okay, look, I'm sorry, but I'm done discussing this, I've got way too much on my plate right now. I'm very sorry that I've caused such a fuss.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
No you're not. You obviously love the attention.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Well crap, it looks like I can't delete this many posts without bringing Hatrack down while I do it. I don't want to do that to you guys.

This freaking sucks. I wish I'd never come here in the first place.

But you get your wish, Lisa, I won't be able to remove much more. At least the last 12 hours have cemented my desire to leave. Bye.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, you ARE being a jerk here.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bye.

See you soon! [Wave]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna miss hearing your animation stories.

Take care

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Zeugma, not that I am anywhere near as nice as BannaOj, but I would like to hear from you. My email is the same as my username at hotmail.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when people want to leave and don't just leave. Why the drama?
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Well crap, it looks like I can't delete this many posts without bringing Hatrack down while I do it. I don't want to do that to you guys.

Appreciated.

It does rather make obvious the point that I and others were trying to make: Your posts are woven into the fabric of this place, and ripping them out leaves holes and gaps that matter and are noticed.

It's also seriously messing with the markers. Your recent post history now contains several thread that aren't yours -- presumably because the multiple deletions have affected the database. Hopefully this won't cause any further problems.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
It's also seriously messing with the markers. Your recent post history now contains several thread that aren't yours -- presumably because the multiple deletions have affected the database. Hopefully this won't cause any further problems.

So besides the drama, Zeguma's exit also has the added bonus of bug testing. [Smile]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
And if the database is corrupted, they'll have to restore from backup and all the posts Zeugma did delete will be back! [Smile]
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I'm considering eating a baby right now. I wouldn't normally be a waffler on this particular issue-- but I've recently noticed that my pants are more snug than I'm comfortable with.

So I may eat a kitten instead.

A simple solution. Baby rabbits. Lean, succulent baby rabbits.

-Bok

Simple? Perhaps. Solution? Nooooo!!!

[Frown]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly didn't even know who Zuegma was until about a month ago, and now she's leaving... [Frown]

Oh well...

Stay Chill [Cool]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll miss discussing animation news with you, Zeugma.

Best of luck with whatever life has in store for you.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Vi sitter här i venten och spelar lite DotA.
(I hear you man.)
Vi sitter här i venten och spelar lite DotA.
(I feel you man.)

Vi sitter här i venten och spelar lite DotA
å pushar på å smeker,
med motståndet vi leker.
Vi sitter här i venten och spelar lite DotA
å springer runt å creepar,
och motståndet vi sleepar.

(DotA!)

(Don't worry, be happy.)

[ September 12, 2007, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Blayne, you're violating the no more than 3 lines of copywritten material rule. Please edit.
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really illegal to post lyrics?
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a grey area, but we've been asked by the mods to keep it to 2 (?) lines.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how the lyrics of this song including the song itself is so easily availiable on Youtube and other sites that I really dont see the point of editing it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Illegal yes. Does it matter? Who knows. Do we only post two lines at a time here? Yes.

The general consensus is that we don't want to risk getting OSC in trouble in case the RIAA gets really militant about posting lyrics. So, we stick to the strictest interpretation of the copyright law and limit it to two lines here (under penalty of... um, being voted off the island and perhaps being edited by Papa in case of extreme stubborness on your part).

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
It's a grey area

Only if "gray area" means "no one is currently doing much to stop it."
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Considering how the lyrics of this song including the song itself is so easily availiable on Youtube and other sites that I really dont see the point of editing it.

The point is that the extremely gracious owners of the site have asked us not post more than three lines of lyrics. Which you post still violates. They don't ask much of us, is remembering this one really that hard?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That seems like pretty good definition of grey area to me.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.