FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Britney? Gimme less, please

Author Topic: New column: Britney? Gimme less, please
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
New column: Britney? Gimme less, please

Britney, Britney, Britney.

By now you’ve heard all the blowback from your… spectacular… comeback performance at the MTV Video Music Awards, and I’m guessing you haven’t been pleased. When the preponderance of critical articles, even the positive ones, include the word “trainwreck” in the first paragraph, things are not looking good.

And there are many elements of blame that led inexorably to you stumping around the stage in a leather bikini lip-syncing very nearly all of the words to your new hit song, “Gimme More.” The New York Times has reported you were rushed into doing the show by your management. There were problems with your hair. You may have had relationship issues with Criss Angel weighing on your mind. One fan has gone all Zapruder and produced a slo-mo video to prove that your heel was broken throughout the show (although the possibility of a second broken heel working with the CIA has yet to be documented).

And the ocean of mean-spirited comments about your weight can safely be ignored. No, you don’t look like your toned teenage self. But you do look better than just about everybody who was making fun of you, although to be fair most of them don’t try wearing outfits like that. Or at least not in public. Or at least not sober.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done, Chris. I always prefer constructive criticism to kicking someone while they're down.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But to make this work, first you’ll need to:

GO AWAY. For a while, anyway.

Great stuff, Chris. I wish she would read this and take it to heart. (not just that line which made me laugh, but the whole thing)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That was really good Chris, I really hope it gets to Spears somehow.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, good advice, all around.

I suspect she has some more crashing and burning to do before she'll consider taking any version of it, but, hey.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish someone would just taker her to Greenland and get her a house and a piano and someone to help out around the home and a proper job.

Nicely done, Chris.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grammargoddess
Member # 10828

- posted      Profile for grammargoddess   Email grammargoddess         Edit/Delete Post 
I blame her mama.

I think at this point she's screwed up her career and public image so much it's going to take a miracle to pull her out of that lurch. The article was very nicely done, though. How many other professional writers do we have on Hatrack?

Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"I blame her mama."

It'd be hard not to.

We have a couple other professional writers. Scott R is published, and, although Slash the Berzerker doesn't post anymore, he is published, so I hear.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.