FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Huntsville, Alabama (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Huntsville, Alabama
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone!

I'm wondering if any of you live or have lived in Huntsville?

We may be relocated there soon.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

[Smile]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle and Tatiana (aka) are both from Alabama but I'm not sure where.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Oh, that's right. I'd forgotten that Belle lives there.

Belle and Tatiana, are you near Huntsville?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
My family used to take vacations on Lookout Mountain*, which is nearby Huntsville. You'll have no choice but to See Rock City once you're in the area. We usually stayed in Mentone though, which was very nice and quiet and Ozark/hippie. The reason we vacationed there was because my sisters went to Camp DeSoto, which is a pretty kick-a girls camp out there. I always wished they had one for boys too. If you've got young girls, you should check it out. Camp DeSoto See Rock City

ETA: and I think my great aunt still has a really great cabin in the woods out there. I'm gonna have to check it out. Absolutely beautiful country.

*and I'm at the Lookout Mountain scene in American Gods right now! I giggled like a schoolgirl when they first mentioned the See Rock City signs.

[edited for atrocious spelling and to remove extraneous words]

[ September 19, 2007, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Wow. I didn't realize that Huntsville was that close to Lookout Mountain. I've been to Chattanooga and lookout mountain, I'm not sure we went on the Alabama side though, I know we went into georgia.

Also it's very possible I'll be going in a uhaul to Birmingham for a weekend this fall to drop a motorcycle off a at the barber museum. But none of that helps Tammy.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Sure it does. We drove through Chattanooga on our way to Huntsville. Very pretty town from what I could see.

I saw signs along the way advertising Rock City. It sounds like somewhere I'd love to take the family. The Walls of Jericho (or something like that) looked very interesting as well.

grammargoddess
Member # 10828

- posted      Profile for grammargoddess   Email grammargoddess         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in NC, but welcome to the South [Smile]
Hope you like it hot! [Big Grin]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I'm currently in Davidson County, near Winston-Salem. I was born in Tucson. I'm used to it being hot. I don't know if I like dry heat or sloppy, sticky wet heat.

Where in NC are you?

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I live about 30 minutes north of Birmingham. I've been to Huntsville many times, and will be back there again this fall, my daughter has a gymnastics meet there. Most of what I know about Huntsville is related to the city proper, I've rarely been to say suburban areas surrounding Huntsville, so if you're likely to live in a suburban community, I'm going to be less help for you.

It's a nice city, I've been told housing is expensive for the area (though housing in Alabama is low compared to many other places) and that they are desperately seeking professionals in computer and engineering fields. Lots of jobs available in Huntsville right now, I hear.

I have been in downtown Huntsville several times and found it an easy city to navigate and get around in and I've never felt unsafe, even at night. Lots of restaurants and cultural events (I believe they have a symphony, and I've been to a couple of exhibits there, one showing illuminated Biblical manuscript pages, which was beautiful!) It's not nearly as big or busy as the Birmingham metro area, though, but Birmingham is not that far away, relatively speaking.

I think it's a very pretty area of the state, with the river and the hills. I've been to Monte Sano State park near Huntsville - breathtaking! I don't know much about the schools, though I could find out specifics if you have questions, I know people who live there.

Here's a good website

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived there and hated it deeply, but I do not count. I was a child at the time.
I think it's one of those places where you SHOULD have a car.
Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if there was public transporation and if I had been allowed to use it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh the car is a given. If there's public transportation I doubt it's very extensive - it would be in the downtown area only. I cannot recall seeing public transportation on my trips, though I would not have been looking for it since every time I've visited Huntsville I've driven.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been to Huntsville a few times for work. It seems like a nice place. It reminds me a lot of Tulsa. A car is definately necessary.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
They have walnut trees there.
They look like big green round brains.

Also I wonder if that burger place that used to be called Hookers but got changed to some other name is still there.
They had these drive through burger places when I lived there that had the best burgers ever. And such awesome spicy fries.
That was one thing that was good about Huntsville. Another thing was a big three floor library I got to go to one time. [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I visit Huntsville about once a year, on account of my father's side of the family residing there.

As far as the south goes, it's fairly enjoyable scenery and weather (just a little less humid and little bit cooler than Birmingham and points father south). The forested mountains / hills (depending on where you're from) make for a nice backdrop for the city, and have some nice parks you can go hiking in.

The comparison to Tulsa is fairly apt in terms of size and general attitude of the city (quite laid back).

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in Huntsville, but I was only there a few months. And then it was off to Germany for four years.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been there! When we lived in Georgia we took a day trip there to see the Space Center where they have Space Camp (I was in the "I wanna be an astronaut" phase). [Big Grin]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
EWTN is based in Alabama.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I’ve enjoyed your comments. I realize that living in an area as a child gives you an entirely different perspective. I have strange memories of some areas that I’ve lived in myself.

Belle, I found downtown Huntsville to be easy to navigate as well. I didn’t really get any bad vibes from any of the areas that I found myself in. Of course, when I went around with a Real Estate Agent, I was only shown the best of the best. That’s why I chose to drive around on my own for a few hours first.

I found the school I want the kids to attend. Huntsville High School! It sounds amazing and the kids think so as well. It was highly recommended by those I spoke to when I was there. If you have 10 minutes to spare, check out the Huntsville High Video. My kids are really exicted.

I’m planning a trip to the Space Camp. My kids are welcome to come, if they wish. They’re not as excited about it as I am. I’ve never grown out of wanting to be an astronaut, or maybe just floating around in space in general.

I’m totally excited about all the beautiful, natural areas that seem to surround Huntsville. What absolutely beautiful places to take the family for a day trip.

I’ve scoured the net looking for information on Huntsville. I’ve found things that I bet the locals don’t really even care to know. I found one site that said there was quite a bit of office hanky panky in Huntsville, which led to its high divorce rate. [Roll Eyes] There were also a lot of queries for locals on the local reception to interracial marriages. It’s interesting the information that you can find out there. I realize a lot of it is circumstantial and possible heavily biased.

Huntsville is obviously a more diverse city than most southern cities around. It has to be with its heavy flow of scientist and military from all over the world. I’m thrilled about that.

What I’m really enjoying about your comments are your personal experiences. I’ve met a lot of people recently in Winston Salem that have ties to Huntsville and I enjoy hearing their thoughts on the area. I thought that the folks here would provide some insightful information as well. Thanks!

brojack17
Member # 9189

I heard a stat once that said Huntsville has more PhD's per capita than any other US city.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

rollainm, were your parents in the military or aerospace?
Tammy
Member # 4119

brojack17, I've read that over and over in my search for information.

My husband seems to think that there will be less traffic due to that fact. I've been trying to figure out his reasoning there.

I've heard horrible things about the traffic in Huntsville. Apparently the city is growing faster than it's planning department can handle.

After traveling for years between Winston-Salem and Charlotte on I-85, I think I can handle any traffic thrown at me. I can handle it, but will hate it.

Belle
Member # 2314

quote:
I've heard horrible things about the traffic in Huntsville. Apparently the city is growing faster than it's planning department can handle.

I totally believe that. It's part of the growing pains I guess.

It's true the city is very diverse, and people of many nationalities live there. I know on my visits to gymnastics meets held at Huntsville Gymnastics we heard several different accents, including the head coach who is British. We have some acquaintances that live there and attend a Protestant church that they say is very diverse, everyone worships together without regard to nationality o skin color. So cool - I have to believe that makes God smile, I know it makes me smile. [Smile]

When will you know for certain if you're moving? I'll have to arrange to meet you sometime. Forgive me but I didn't remember the ages of your kids - so you have high schoolers?

Tammy
Member # 4119

Belle, we'll probably know in a couple of weeks. I'd love to meet you sometime. My children are now 9, 13, 16 and 19. My nine year old lives with his mother and step-dad. We'll be working out some kind of custody arrangement. That's the hard part.

My oldest lives in Arizona. The only two moving with me will be my 13 and 16 year olds. They're both in high school. I wish I had some younger ones running around. They grow up so darn fast.

I'll keep you informed. If we do move...I'd even go check out Birmingham to meet ya. [Smile]

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tammy:
rollainm, were your parents in the military or aerospace?

My dad was in the army.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I know very little about it, aside from the space center that I've visited several times. Alabama is great if you like the outdoors. Come down to Birmingham to visit some time! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Well, it's official. We're moving!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Awesome! Welcome to Alabama! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

[Smile] Thank you!

My husband will relocate first. We'll be coming after the school year.

Whew...lots to do.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yeah, moving is a lot of work! I don't envy you.
brojack17
Member # 9189

I usually wind up out there for work about once a year. I'll have to look you up the next time I am there.

Congratulations.

Tammy
Member # 4119

I'll be going up for my "official" house-hunting trip this Sunday. I'll be there for a week. My husband is already there. He comes home every other weekend. Yuck!

We'll be moving sometime in June. After we settle in and the kids start school...I'm looking ya'll up. You'd better be around. [Smile]

I'm from the West Coast, I just like the way ya'll rolls off my finger tips. It's so fun to say.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yes, I like the word y'all as well. It functions perfectly regularly as a second person plural pronoun. Be sure not to make the mistake of using it in place of singular you. That will mark you as a yankee for sure. (In the southeast, a yankee is anyone not from the southeast.) My boss from Canada who had lived here for 15 years never realized that "y'all" is only plural and not singular until I told him, then he still didn't believe me. <laughs>

Good luck finding just the house you want. I'll look forward to meeting you when you get down this way.

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to tour Alabama with an Air Force band and Huntsville was always my favorite city. It had Southern charm, without the mold. And the public schools were clean and well appointed. I was back in Alabama last year. There has been an improvement in many of the "old" cities. I would expect that Huntsville has just gotten better. My boss is there this week for a conference. I wish he had asked me to go too. (its cold here this AM) I am looking forward to your take on the city as you get to know it. And, yes, y'all is a welcome addition to the English language. When you have developed a facility in its use, you will never go back. Actually, come to think about it, there is nothing to go back to.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Yes, y'all is only plural and hopefully I've only used it that way. I definitely could have used it wrong while joking in the past.

As soon as I'm settled, we'll have a Hatrack Southern Tea Party. [Smile]

Artemisia, I did notice the charm the city holds during my short visit. Joe, my husband, is in love with the area. He's been driving around after work trying to figure the place out. I can't wait to see it again.

Tammy
Member # 4119

I can't wait to see it again, but I'll have to.

I had a ticket to fly down this evening.

My daughter came home with a 102.6 temperature yesterday. I was trying to get her comfortable and settled when the phone rings; my son had hurt his ankle playing Basketball.

I met him at the E.R. He has a fracture, with some pretty ugly swelling going on. They put a temporary cast on him and handed him a set of weapons, or crutches as they're sometimes referred to. I didn't realize how ackward it was to walk with them. He's slipping and tripping all over the place.

The drastic measures they go to, just to keep their mom home.

*deep sigh*

[Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

[Smile] I hope they get better soon.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, the lengths some people go to stay out of Alabama.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I have many fond memories of the state, but the red dirt down by Birmingham! Tarnation, was that ever hard to get out of white socks.

I remember one late summer day when the sunlight was liquid gold. Oh heavens, it was a Maxfield Parrish painting. Impossible to forget.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that Donna the Buffalo is doing their New Year's show there, and I am going to miss it.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Yay! Our house has footers and they've framed it.

[Party]

CT, the mountains behind our home look a little bit like those in your picture. I'm excited. One thing about Huntsville that I love are all the big boulders that are around a lot of the homes and roads.

We've got a white heron that seems to like hanging out behind our house. He also has friends that hang out there, a couple of geese and some ducks. I'm excited about the heron and the ducks; I could do without the problem poopers. Goose poop is not something I look forward to avoiding.

Did anyone notice how windy it is there? My husband says it's windy all the time. I've also heard that allergies are a big issue there. Oh well, no place is perfect, right?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
FTR: in TX, "y'all" is occasionally plural but often singular, and the plural of "y'all" is "all of y'all" or "all y'all."

At least that's what I was told when I lived there.

But then, they're another country. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but the red dirt down by Birmingham! Tarnation, was that ever hard to get out of white socks.

Reminds me of a song. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

We have that red dirt or clay rather down here in the Carolinas. Nasty, nasty stuff!

Cute song kq.

Tammy
Member # 4119

Well people, we're getting down to our last few weeks in NC.

Last night my friends from work threw us a party at a vineyard owned by one of the employees family members. It was heaven on earth, a hot heaven on earth. What fun!

Half the folks I work with play the guitar and sing. We had wine, song, laughter and tears. I've left so many good people behind before, swearing to keep in touch and then losing touch completely.

I've mentioned before that I worked at a plant nursery that also sells home and garden decor. It takes a special, crazy, wonderful kind of person to work in that environment. When it's hot outside the greenhouse in the summertime it's hell inside. These are some tough, creative folks and I'm going to miss almost each and every one of them.

My going away gift was very special. They gave me a Pandora bracelet with very personalized charms on it. My first charm was a silver cat, given the name Maple to represent our insanely grouchy nursery cat. He wants you to pet him, but on his terms only. He's tripped me many times trying to beat me to his food bowl. He left a permanent scar on my chest the time he tried to get away from me when I was stuffing a pill down his mean little throat and almost gave me a major infection from his nasty little claws when he swatted me right across the face when I was petting him and made the mistake of looking into his eyes when he was inches from my face. Mr. Wild Thing Maple will be severely missed by me.

I also got a gold/silver "bouquet of flowers" charm to represent the millions of Pansies and Geraniums that I've dead headed and watered. The owner stuck a heart on there with my initials on one side and her initials on the other. They put a suitcase on there with "miss u" on the bottom.

They wrote instructions on how my husband and children were to follow up with charms to fill the rest of the bracelet.

What wonderful people!

This move is, as most moves are, bittersweet!

The movers are coming on the 28th.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck Tammy, We just finished out move to Trinidad so I don't envy your next few weeks.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I'm not to worried about it. My stress level is pretty low, considering.

We listed our home in April and we got an offer on it today. We're currently negotiating it. Thank goodness for that!

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We also listed in April, but have had no offers yet. So I'm excited to hear that you got one. [Smile]

Good luck with the move.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

We sold the house!

Unbelievable! We sold the house in 48 days. They were pre-approved, so I'm pretty sure it's a done deal. I'm a little stunned. I didn't think we'd sell it before we had to turn it over to the company relocation department.

The folks that bought it are being transferred from Vegas.

Good Luck in selling your home dkw. The market may be slow right now, but there are always people out there who need a home. [Smile]

Belle
Member # 2314

That's awesome! Congrats!

Do let me know when you're settled. We travel up to Huntsville several times a year for various things (usually related to one of the kids' activities) so I'd love to meet for coffee, or lunch, or something. [Smile]

Tammy
Member # 4119

I'll shall certainly let you know. I'd love to meet! Maybe we can have our own little bama meet.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.