FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » House (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: House
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
New BTs make dumb mistakes like that.
What does "BT" mean?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that would be "baal teshuva", according to wikipedia "a person who has repented", a term for a newly observant Orthodox Jew-- someone who grew up not observant and has become observant later in life. The woman mentioned it at the beginning of the episode, IIRC...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, there's no way they would have called the husband Yonatan. It would have been Yonasan. And the way the matchmaker pronounced Yonatan (like Jonathan, but with the J as a Y and the th as a t: "YAH-nuh-tin") showed a lack of research. It's "YO-nuh-tahn." YO-nu-sahn, rather.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a good episode. Not being orthodox, I can't exactly say how accurate it was, but I recognized a few things from my time at an orthodox synagogue. Nostalgic... not that I would ever want to go to one again (No offense, but I was never able to understand what anyone was saying. Now does that bring me closer to God?)
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

How easy do you want things? If you want to understand, it's learnable.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
What I liked about it - and I say this as an apatheist - was that while House ridiculed the religion and the religious, the source of the medical ailment was not a weakness or mental problem on her part. I was half expecting that, for the writers to prove House "right" about the motivations and strength of the religious.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
What I liked about it - and I say this as an apatheist - was that while House ridiculed the religion and the religious, the source of the medical ailment was not a weakness or mental problem on her part. I was half expecting that, for the writers to prove House "right" about the motivations and strength of the religious.

Definitely. That (almost) redeemed the episode for me.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to understand enough to learn Hebrew. Particularly not when I was only nine.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Oh, well. Your choice.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.