FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Kids: Dumber than Dirt (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: American Kids: Dumber than Dirt
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran across a blog that links to a story about how horrible education is for today's American students. The article's author concludes the United States is in danger because the next generation can't think properly to continue as a democracy.

Knowing the relative age here, I thought it would be of interest.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's certainly not a news story. It seems to me the guy is just like many others, harping on how stupid or ignorant his fellow citizens are (while excepting himself, of course).

The truth is, it's not an American thing. If that guy strapped on a jetpack and flew to any city or community on Earth and picked five schlubbos at random, chances are they would dramatically fail to measure up to his vaunted standards.

Chances are he'd need to, say, take his jetpack to one of them to be serviced, though.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Needs numbers, not anecdotes.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this story one generation old?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Numbers would be nice, but how can one objectively measure one generation's average intelligence against that of another? I do not believe people are getting dumber, it's just that there is a decrease in the need to apply yourself. Over here, we have had one or two major reforms in the style of teaching. Now we are starting to notice that this produces pupils who are very skilled at producing nice and colourful reports on any topic, but since they gather their information straight form the internet, they have little understanding of the subject they wrote about.
One of the worst examples of general ignorance that I've heard is the fact that a vast majority of the children doesn't know that milk comes from a cow (most often, that is). They think it just comes in cartons.
But at the same time these children have no trouble memorizing all the names of the 300+ different Pokémon. Go figure...

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread title would be just as accurate without the first word.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
More confirming evidence.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
That was the first Onion article I ever read, way back when...

Ahhhhh...good times.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
In all seriousness, I suspect that the current generation of children would crush most previous generations in almost every modern academic subject if you could go back in time to test them against one another. After all, there have been generations in the past where most kids couldn't even read and didn't go to school - yet American democracy survived and thrived.

I'm sure there are certain subjects where the modern generation would fail miserably in comparison to older generations, but those would be mostly areas that aren't as important to modern life as they were in the past. I bet the average kid would do poorly in their knowledge of farming, for instance, whereas I'd bet kids of the 1800's might get high marks in that category.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:

One of the worst examples of general ignorance that I've heard is the fact that a vast majority of the children doesn't know that milk comes from a cow

Why would they? I'm asking seriously -- most "city kids" have probably never been near a farm and I've certainly never seen "where foods come from" in a curriculum. It's one of those things that was obvious in the past and never needed to be taught, but isn't obvious any longer. It's not a mark of the kids being stupid if they don't know something that they have had no reason or opportunity to learn.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. There is a difference between "stupid" and "has a different body of knowledge." They are not equal.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't there common depictions of farm life in childrens' books?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the books, doesn't it?
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
And "This is a cow" doesn't always translate to "This is where milk comes from."
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Do you remember everything you read in children's books, MEC? I can't recall reading about dairy farmers in any children's books.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

So far in my son's books we've encountered a lot about farm animals and the sounds they make, but nothing about milk or eggs (or bacon or beef, for that matter).

As the kids get older I'm sure that will show up in some books (I know it's it the Little House on the Praire books, for example) but there also will be more choices for books and not everyone reads the same ones.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a freaking cow on our milk cartons. There's not much that can go wrong, unless they're confusing ground beef with milk, which would be entertaining... [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am responsible for putting in reading scores from a Standardized test called DRP. We use this information (that students take at the beginning of the year) to place our lowest performing students in our Read180 program.

*side note: Our average students on Read180 raise their proficiency level by at least two grades, and many raise their level to 8th grade or beyond. We know this because of the Read180 tracking and the end of year DRP test we give.*

Our school is considered one of the best performing schools in our district. Our district is a good district compared to the state.

50% of our current crop of 8th graders read at or below 4th grade reading comprehension with 90% understanding.

Last year only 33 percent were at or below 4th grade level. Maybe this year is just an anomaly, but I still think 33% is phenomenally bad.

I have noticed over the last three years more and more students are getting the high scores. We have close to 8 kids with near perfect scores and many reading at high school and college levels.

There are still many students reading at grade level, but I am astounded by how many are advanced readers and discouraged by the vast numbers that are far below their potential.

It is as if the smart are getting smarter and the poor performing are filling up the base. Of course 2 or 4 years is hardly enough time to see a trend, and I am only looking at one school.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents, for what it's worth, think that school has gotten significantly harder these days. Kids may not be brighter, but they're being challenged more.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
There's a freaking cow on our milk cartons.

And there's a tucan on your box of Fruit Loops.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't even get me started on animal crackers. Talk about confusing.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no, those are actually made out of the animals depicted. Although there was a scandal a few years back--Nabisco was using elephant meat in their tiger crackers. There was a massive recall.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That's "Dumber than Dirt...and Proud of It", Mr.SmartyPants.

Interesting that "Dumber than Dirt" GoogleAds up CoastalDreams, an online video series about whose* the biggest boob.

* Yep, deliberate.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure my mom teaches a book called "Where Food Comes From." She also teaches the chicken or egg book, and several other farm books. They also take all of the kids in our school system to a farm, that has added animals for that day, beyond it's normal working hay and beef.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't everyone go to a "show farm" some time between kindergarten and third grade? (We did it every year.) It's pretty standard around here... I think it's part of the social studies and science curricula, and they tie it in to language and math too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll admit that the example of the cow isn't very good. I'm not saying that this is something everyone should know. What I really wanted to point out is the fact that most kids these don't seem to want to know these things. To the city kids (and even the country lads and lasses) the origin of dairy products may not be very relevant, but I'd like to see children taking an interest in the underlying principles that provide all the luxury items that consume so much of their attention.

As a child you should view the world with a sense of wonder (yeah, I know it's a cliché...), which to me means that one should actually wonder "why...." or "how..." and try to find the answers yourself. Mental Adventure and exploration and such...
In stead, these days more and more children seem to perform only the tasks they are given, and preferably with results that'll just barely get you a passing grade. (not that I haven't been quilty of exactly this behaviour once or twice) In this sense I tend to agree with one of the statements from the article in the OP: "the more a student is tested the less they are able to learn." There is a (subtle) difference between studying to pass a test and studying because you want to actually understand a subject.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Didn't everyone go to a "show farm" some time between kindergarten and third grade? (We did it every year.)
Nope.

Of course, I grew up in the Texas Panhandle where there aren't any such farms, due to lack of water.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I didn't either, and we actually have cattle ranchers near where I grew up.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
There is a (subtle) difference between studying to pass a test and studying because you want to actually understand a subject.
It's not that subtle.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That has a lot to do with what goes in the home (or the place they spend their time when they're not at home) BEFORE school age. We have a child care crisis in this country, and one of the results is an awful lot of kids being placed in bad daycares that don't really support the kind of question and answer/exploration that is essential to developing a love of learning.

But more than that, I think your sample is biased. There are many kids who DO want to know, want to learn, want to understand. And there are teachers, classrooms, schools that encourage that. Look at the kids of Hatrack. Look at the teachers of Hatrack. I think people underestimate kids a lot sometimes. Kids still have the capacity to learn-- it just depends on the opportunity they are given, not only at school, but at home as well.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the education system needs to be restructured, but i doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Also, dyscalculia does NOT make a person dumb. I am beastly at math, terrible at making calculations in my head, but this really doesn't mean I'm stupid.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon: Touche. Although my mind is curious as to what conjectures, given a kid that hasn't figured out where milk comes from, what that kid would guess as to the origin of Fruit Loops or Animal Crackers.

Actually, maybe I'm more curious about milk in the first place. Surely they don't think its still freshly squeezed from their ... initial source of milk? Or do they think its more of a mixture from interested parties?

Or do they just drink it without thinking about where it comes from, which would be bizarre. Or maybe thats a bizarre idea just because I grew up in a Cantonese family and eating random food from dim sum carts without finding out what its made out of is a very very bad idea [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

OK, first of all it's not an 'article'. At least, not a news article. It's just some guy ranting about how stupid kids these days are (and indirectly discussing how smart he is).

Second, learning for its own sake? Not really a very big deal. All of the learning in the world never accomplished squat. Better an ignorant mechanic than a wise diletante.

dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Didn't everyone go to a "show farm" some time between kindergarten and third grade? (We did it every year.) It's pretty standard around here... I think it's part of the social studies and science curricula, and they tie it in to language and math too.

Nope. We had lots of field trips -- to the State Capitol building, to the symphony, to the science museum -- but no farms.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Our show farm started when you would have been in college DKW (I'm pretty sure the person who organizes it is your age) which also made it too late for me to go, though our class went to a few farms they weren't set up for that purpose. The farm I am talking about has over 100 people between 12 and 90 on the two days of the festival. About two thousand kids go through. In the past I've always helped with horses, dogs, or wagon rides but this year I think I'm going to take my loom and a spinning wheel to show the kids.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of think that article is pure bunk, but what's wrong with learning for the sake of learning?
What's it to you if a person wants to learn Latin or Ancient Russian or Aramaic or some sort of weird random form of astrophysics?
If it gives them enjoyment then it's accomplishing something.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, also, Mister Rogers went to all kinds of places and found out where things came from, how milk is processed, how yogurt is made, how mushrooms and beets and apples are grown and harvested, etc. That may be the source of my earliest information on where food comes from, I'm not quite sure; I don't think I ever remember learning that...
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
OK, first of all it's not an 'article'. At least, not a news article. It's just some guy ranting about how stupid kids these days are (and indirectly discussing how smart he is).

Second, learning for its own sake? Not really a very big deal. All of the learning in the world never accomplished squat. Better an ignorant mechanic than a wise dilettantes.

I think it is very important for a mechanic to be knowledgable. Ignorance could get people killed. Diletantes, in my experience, are very seldom wise.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I think it is very important for a mechanic to be knowledgable. Ignorance could get people killed. Diletantes, in my experience, are very seldom wise.
How many mechanics do you know, kmbboots? Of the five I've worked with for the past few years, all of them are what I (nerd) would call very ignorant, at least outside their own field and interests.

But when my car starts making a clunky noise, I don't dig deep in my head to fix it, I give one of them a call. If they're having some sort of computer trouble, they call me.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
quote:
How many mechanics do you know, kmbboots? Of the five I've worked with for the past few years, all of them are what I (nerd) would call very ignorant, at least outside their own field and interests.
But when my car starts making a clunky noise, I don't dig deep in my head to fix it, I give one of them a call. If they're having some sort of computer trouble, they call me.

People are generally, to some degree, ignorant outside of our fields of interest. You, by your description, are ignorant of how to fix your car. You mechanic, I hope, is knowledgeable enough that your brakes don't fail.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, that's precisely the point I was making and why I get so irritated when people go on about how stupid the 'common' man is.

But anyway, the mechanic can still be very ignorant and yet be a great and safe mechanic:) I thought that was a given.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone knows where milk comes from.

The Refrigerator.

or
The Ice Box if your parents talk ancient.

or

The Store

or

If you are lucky enough to get it delivered, "That funny man who comes by every-day. Mommy asked me to call him Uncle Irv, and not tell daddy how he helps her clean the big bedroom every week or so, after sending me to the store for candy."

Its only vitally important to know where your milk comes from when you go out to milk the Bull.

Seriously, with the nervous nature of the generic parent when it comes to death and sex, having a class that discusses where Milk, Eggs, and Bacon come from might get banned.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Well, that's precisely the point I was making and why I get so irritated when people go on about how stupid the 'common' man is.

But anyway, the mechanic can still be very ignorant and yet be a great and safe mechanic:) I thought that was a given.

I think perhaps you are conflating "ignorant" with "uncultered" or "stupid". Ignorant simply means that someone has no knowledge or experience about something. When you are using the word "ignorant" it is helpful to know ignorant of what. A good mechanic would not be ignorant of how a car works or how to fix it. He may be ignorant of, say, genetics or Russian literature.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People are generally, to some degree, ignorant outside of our fields of interest. You, by your description, are ignorant of how to fix your car. You mechanic, I hope, is knowledgeable enough that your brakes don't fail.
Here's the thing: Mechanics have other roles that may be even more important than their jobs as mechanics. They are parents, friends, citizens, and just human beings in general. Each of those roles requies it's own sorts of expertise - and that is the sort of expertise we are responsible for teaching kids in school. We need to make sure that just as the mechanic won't mess up someone's brakes, the parent won't mess up their kids, or the citizen won't vote somebody crazy into office, etc. Learning the value of learning is one element of that.

Having said that, I suspect there is a lot we expect kids to learn in school that they probably won't need for any role they will ever take on in life.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

'Ignorant' is a word with many definitions.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mechanic had a degree in engineering in Iran, but when he came to America (fleeing political danger) found he could make more money fixing cars, which he loves doing anyway. He talks wine with my dad, religion with me and my husband, rocket science with his clients from JPL.

He's a very cool guy.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:

I am only familiar with the one. And the Concise Oxford only gives one - lacking in knowledge, uninformed, acting in a uncouth manner through lack of knowledge.

What definition are you using? If it is a slang or colloquial usage, I am ignorant of it.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the educational establishment might tweak the results to make it seem like they need more money.

I mean, I know they always need more money. I just wonder to what lengths they might go to get it.

Re: Daycare. My daughter has been taught to spell the colors of the rainbow aloud, but can't read them. It's kind of surreal.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
...Oxford only gives one - lacking in knowledge, uninformed, acting in a uncouth manner through lack of knowledge.
What definition are you using?

Ah, but there is the rub. If'n ya tell folks that they're ignorant (on a topic)...
...they almost always assume that you are calling them stupid (in general).

[ October 29, 2007, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
So far in my son's books we've encountered a lot about farm animals and the sounds they make, but nothing about milk or eggs (or bacon or beef, for that matter).

The Little Golden Book The Jolly Barnyard has all of the farm animals deciding what to give the farmer for his birthday. The hen says she'll give him eggs, the cow says milk, the turkey says he'll grace the Thanksgiving table as well as he's able.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.