FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Kids: Dumber than Dirt (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: American Kids: Dumber than Dirt
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
quote:
quote:
'Ignorant' is a word with many definitions.
...Oxford only gives one - lacking in knowledge, uninformed, acting in a uncouth manner through lack of knowledge.
What definition are you using?

Ah, but there is the rub. If'n ya tell folks that they're ignorant (on a topic)...
...they almost always assume that you are calling them stupid (in general).

That, I think, is a problem with using the term imprecisely. Particularly in this day of increasing specialization, we are all ignorant of a lot of things.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
the turkey says he'll grace the Thanksgiving table as well as he's able.

Now that's a little disturbing. Kind of like the cow in The Restaraunt at the End of the Universe
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Or like the pudding in Alice in Wonderland.

edited to add: Or was that mutton in Through the Looking Glass?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us appear to be ignorant of the definition of 'ignorant'. Which makes me extremely happy.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Because you enjoy irony?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I ever.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
How many of us know when to plant and reap a harvest, or how to skin and tan a hide, or how to carve a long bow, or how to spin wool into thread? These were common skills hundreds of years ago, and almost nobody knows how to do them today. Clearly we're all fools!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I can do all of that, cause I gots me da Internet, and I's watches Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel.

I mean, if it wasn't for the Discovery Channel, how would farmers know when to plant crops?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most affluent parents in America — and many more who aren't — now put their kids in private schools from day one...
Saw it coming...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda like how a bacon&egg breakfast demonstrates the difference between involvement and commitment.
The chicken is involved, and the pig is committed.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Dan_raven - I admire your pluck, but I'm not sure that watching someone skin and tan a hide on TV or the internet makes you qualified to make yourself a buckskin jacket for winter survival [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Buckskin is not what you want for winter survival.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

See, that's what I'm talking about! Give me gortex and a mummy bag. I'm only good with modern knowledge.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How many of us know when to plant and reap a harvest, or how to skin and tan a hide, or how to carve a long bow, or how to spin wool into thread? These were common skills hundreds of years ago, and almost nobody knows how to do them today. Clearly we're all fools!
I know how to reap a harvest and spin wool into thread, I have no desire to hunt or skin a hide.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually interested in all of those things. [Blushing]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured you were Porter. I also know we are not the only ones on hatrack interested in that stuff. DKW, BannaOJ, and Stray all spin much better than I do. Crowswife, Beverly, and Porter are starting farms.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Correction: dkw perhaps used to spin better than you do. I haven't touched my wheel in years, I'm not sure I could make a length of yarn now if I tried.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey dkw, a while back on Sake you mentioned giving me your wheel for foster care after I moved to the Twin Cities? Yeah, that's gonna have to wait until I get my own place, right now I don't even have room to unpack all the stuff I brought with me, and there's really not much of that. But I'd still like to do that eventually, if you still want to [Smile]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Humans: Dumber than dirt
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'd foster it, but I never see you and they're hard to ship, so yes Stray much better choice.

And DKW, I'm still fairly sure you spin better than I do, though I haven't tried much at all.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all have such a low opinion of dirt...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
the turkey says he'll grace the Thanksgiving table as well as he's able.

Now that's a little disturbing. Kind of like the cow in The Restaraunt at the End of the Universe
Yeah. Some of the rhymes in the book are pretty tortured, too.

quote:
"Quack! He can have duck eggs, said the duck.
"And I'll swim on his pond," said the drake, "for luck."

I cringe every time I have to read that book.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to spin and weave before I became allergic to almost every animal fiber known to man.

I have participated in tanning a hide.

I've planted and harvested crops (albeit, in CA. Very mild weather much of the year, only some plants actually have sensitive growing seasons where I live.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I have some rabbit skins in my freezer that I'm wanting to tan. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody sells alum anymore (well, in sizes larger than a few ounces), so I need to figure out some other method.
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never done it with alum before. I've always gotten my "chemicals" from taxidermist suppliers.

http://www.aaasupplyhouse.com/catalog.htm is one I've used before

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Tandy Leather also sells chemicals for tanning furs.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit off topic, but has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy, an SF comedy about how incredibly dumb the human race eventually becomes 500 years in the future? The premise is that over 500 years stupid people have outbred intelligent people. The main character played by Luke Wilson travels to the future and finds himself to be the smartest man on earth... by a lot.

It's a dumb movie. But kinda funny, nonetheless.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Y'all have such a low opinion of dirt...

My thoughts exactly. [Smile]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this comment is fair by picking on US kids - I think kids in general are dumb as dirt. I know I was.

To add to the mix, here is a quote from Heinlein which is pretty on the money:

quote:
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Not that my battle plannig skills have ever been called upon (I wish I could say the same about daipers [Wink] ).
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Specialization is for agriculture-based civilization. Non-specialization is for hunter-gatherer societies.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Also, dyscalculia does NOT make a person dumb. I am beastly at math, terrible at making calculations in my head, but this really doesn't mean I'm stupid.

Sorry, but it does, in the sense that stupidity means an inability to solve problems. There is a class of problems you cannot solve; therefore, in that particular area, you are stupid. What you presumably meant was that this does not imply stupidity in other areas, a rather different concept.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

KQ, the spinning writer for www.knitty.com is allergic to animal fibers and uses silk, soy, and cotton almost exclusively (she may use bamboo and corn fibers occasionally).

Almost all of my weavings are done with cotton or rayon.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Au contraire, King of Men, KipThorne's CalTech class could manipulate the equations but never noticed the wormhole behind them.
Stupidity is assuming "What I do well is proof of intelligence." then leaping to the conclusion that those who are less adept at that particular task are less intelligent.

[ October 30, 2007, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally find this pattern of commentary, of self-degrading statements about how "stupid" we are and about how all our children are hopeless, and every other country is both morally and intellectually more advanced compared to Americans who are all glued to their televisions and concerned about the latest celebrity scandal just irritates me. For some reason people take pleasure in saying haha yeah look how dumb we are. I do not deny that there are people who are ridiculously naive and ignorant about simple things, and I will not attempt to say things about the population at large, as I am thinking now and recalling countless instances of insufferable ignorance.... But my family, myself, and my friends are quite intelligent, on the whole. I think my annoyance lies in those who say "oh, yeah, America's full of nothing but dummies," without providing a statistic for their assertion.

Such as this:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Humans: Dumber than dirt

Sigh... maybe I'm just a wishful thinker. And also:
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
[QUOTE] Ah, but there is the rub. If'n ya tell folks that they're ignorant (on a topic)...
...they almost always assume that you are calling them stupid (in general).

That assumption is because they truly are ignorant. (sighs at people like that)
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
KQ, the spinning writer for www.knitty.com is allergic to animal fibers and uses silk, soy, and cotton almost exclusively (she may use bamboo and corn fibers occasionally).

Almost all of my weavings are done with cotton or rayon.

That's very cool.

Unfortunately, I wasn't using my equipment, but sharing a friend's, and she raises rabbits (which is what I am MOST allergic to.)

I can't go over to her house at all anymore. [Frown]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Aww yeah. Well you can still think about it in the future. I can't use angora rabbit, which is usually what most spinners who say rabbit mean. I have little to no problem with many types of wool (merino is amazing).
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Also, dyscalculia does NOT make a person dumb. I am beastly at math, terrible at making calculations in my head, but this really doesn't mean I'm stupid.

Sorry, but it does, in the sense that stupidity means an inability to solve problems. There is a class of problems you cannot solve; therefore, in that particular area, you are stupid. What you presumably meant was that this does not imply stupidity in other areas, a rather different concept.
I find it amusing that you posted this moments after a discussion of what "ignorance" means, because I think that's the word you're looking for, KoM.

In fact, what she meant was what she said: Inability to do math does not mean she's stupid. This is true. In the same way that the inability to do all the archaic (but once necessary) activities detailed earlier does not mean one is stupid. There is no need to add "in other areas". Any reasonable person should get that from context.

You might have a leg to stand on if she'd said "My inability to do math does not mean I'm stupid at math." But she didn't say that. And, unless the word "stupid" is used wildly different where you are, it's absurd to assume that's what she meant. "Stupid" is usually used as a more general indicator of intelligence, and looking at her post... Lo! That's the way she used it!

PS: I'm fairly certain Synesthesia is female, but if I'm wrong, let me know so I can edit out this PS and turn those all those she's into he's.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Syn is female
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:

One of the worst examples of general ignorance that I've heard is the fact that a vast majority of the children doesn't know that milk comes from a cow

Why would they? I'm asking seriously -- most "city kids" have probably never been near a farm and I've certainly never seen "where foods come from" in a curriculum. It's one of those things that was obvious in the past and never needed to be taught, but isn't obvious any longer. It's not a mark of the kids being stupid if they don't know something that they have had no reason or opportunity to learn.
So, in honor of this post, I asked my <almost> 4-year-old daughter this morning where milk comes from.

"Cows" she said without hesitation.

"Who taught you that?" I asked, wondering if maybe it was her grandparents who live in a rural community. "Was it mom, or grandpa or me?"

"It was everyone, Dad," she said.

"Well what about eggs. Where do they come from?"

"From hens!"

"That's right."

Then I proceeded to tell her how many different animals make milk for their babies (she thought the idea of elephants making milk was very funny). I wonder how accurate the assertion that "a vast majority of children don't know that milk comes from a cow" really is. Not to generalize from one child, but somehow the message got through to her pretty loud and clear.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:
quote:

I find it amusing that you posted this moments after a discussion of what "ignorance" means, because I think that's the word you're looking for, KoM.
I don't think it is. Syn is clearly not ignorant of mathematics: She's had the training and read the books. She just can't do it.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
SenojRetep, I asked my three year old where milk comes from, and she said (pointing at her chest), "Um, your tummy?"

"Whose tummy?"

"Mommy's!"

[Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I feel stupid.

Mr. Observant: Kids are stupid.
Mr. Obvious: Could that be because they have not had time to learn everything you have had time to learn?
Mr. Observant: No. They just spend too much time doing things that make them stupid.
Mr. Obvious: You can learn from doing just about anything, although what you learn may not have tremendous value. Learning the proper sequence to save the world from alien conquest may not have any value unless the world is invaded by aliens in such a way that the skills you've learned on your Wii could....
Mr. Observant: No. You don't understand. Most kids today don't even know that Milk comes from Cows.
Mr. Obvious: That's not true...
Mr. Observant: Yes it is. I've seen the statistics. Do you think I'd make something like this up.
Mr. Obvious: Probably, but what I mean is that the statement "Milk comes from cows" is false.

Mr. Observant: ....huh...
Mr. Obvious: Milk comes from Mammary Glands in any female Mammal in good health who happens to be lactating. As such, the statement that "Milk comes from Cows" implying that all Milk comes from only Cows is wrong. Besides "Mother's Milk" from which most of us have had a taste or two as children, many people grow up only knowing Goats Milk, or Yak's Milk. There are many other milks out there besides your own narrow definition of Milk. In deed, by having such of narrow definition you are displaying your ignorance, and possibly Stupidity, not theirs.

Now why didn't I think of that before?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:
quote:

I don't think it is. Syn is clearly not ignorant of mathematics: She's had the training and read the books. She just can't do it.
You're probably right, and I concede that point. But I stand by everything else.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy to look at kids in general and say that they're stupid, but it's hard to do any sort of comparison between kids of the current generation and kids of the previous generation. One potential counterpoint to the OP is that the college admissions process is a lot harder than it was forty years ago. I'm applying to around 10 colleges as are many of my classmates. For comparison, both of my parents only applied to four.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.