FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Presidential Primary News & Discussion Center - Obama Clinches Nomination (Page 15)

This topic comprises 82 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  80  81  82   
Author Topic: Presidential Primary News & Discussion Center - Obama Clinches Nomination
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Best headline today, in a blog at the NYTimes: "Goodbye Rudy, Tuesday."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

quote:
And he is a jerk who gets angry far too easily against those who don't agree with him.
No kidding.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
"McCain is an American first, a Republican second."

I think McCain is for McCain first, everything else a distant second.

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would even go so far as to say his Mormonism evidences toward his conservatism.
Right, because we all know that "real Mormons" vote republican. Mormons like me who are dyed in the wool leftist are probably on the verge or apostasy anyway.

[ January 30, 2008, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
I think McCain is for McCain first, everything else a distant second.

Yeah, he got blown up a couple of times in Vietnam and went back for more because he's an adrenaline junkie.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I can understand why a Mormon would be a Democrat. I can't understand how a Mormon can be a leftist or liberal. They just don't go together.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Try harder, Occasional. Many parts of a "liberal agenda" certainly do.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you can help my unbelief with examples.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't understand how a Mormon can be a leftist or liberal. They just don't go together.
You really, really need to work on that problem you have, speaking authortatively on areas where, in fact, you don't have any authority at all.

It comes as no surprise that you don't really know much about 'leftists' or liberals at all, to not know that there are many, many ways one can be liberal and still be devoutly religious, and to be more specific faithfully Mormon.

Just for fun, in what way do you think being a liberal and being a Mormon don't go together?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Maybe you can help my unbelief with examples.
Maybe you, the one who made the initial sweeping indictment, should provide the examples.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Social justice. Caring for the poor. Being in favor of free agency so people can make their own personal mistakes.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
pffffh mormons can't be liberals everybody knows that
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Just for fun, in what way do you think being a liberal and being a Mormon don't go together?

And to make things more fun, let's throw out abortion and gay marriage, since those are the obvious answers.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

There are elements from both parties that are in opposition to general Christian and specifically Mormon doctrine, and there are elements from both parties that are perfectly in line.

Do not mix up gospel with politics. One is truth and the other is a sometimes-functioning mishmash of compromises and special interests. I'm a big fan of the American Experiment, but I don't take the sacrament every week to renew my covenants with a political party. You shouldn't either.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I'm not sure how you mean that, Jon Boy.

------

As for abortion, I wasn't aware that being a liberal meant one was a fan of abortion, or even that one had to be pro-choice to be a liberal.

As for gay marriage, I wasn't aware that in order to be a Mormon, one had to ensure that in a secular society homosexuals need to be regulated more than heterosexuals.

pooka
Member # 5003

I think Jon Boy was asking for examples other than gay marriage and abortion (which are issues where the church does take a position).
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yes, obviously that is the literal reading. I was wondering what was underneath it is all.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm not sure that there's anything underneath it. I figured those would be Occasional's first two answers, and I wanted him to dig a little deeper. I'm aware that you can be a liberal and not support abortion rights or homosexual marriage or that you can be a conservative and support those things.

But the sentiment (at least among most Utah Mormons) seems to be that liberal = supporter of abortion rights and gay marriage, and since the Church opposes those things, then you can't be a good Mormon and a liberal.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Ahh, OK. That's what I thought, Jon Boy, given what I know of you and your politics from posting, but I wanted to make sure.
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
From my understanding of the church's policy on abortion, if there was a vote legal or not, you could vote either way and still hold a temple recommend.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, I'm curious. I am unaware of any offical statements from the church on abortion rights. I know that the church advises its members that abortions should not be sought except under particular circumstances such as rape, threat to the mothers life etc. I wasn't aware that the church had taken a stand on the legality of abortion. If they have, I'd like a reference.

P.S. I'm not trying to be contentious here. I really do want to know.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
So, Edwards is out too now....

The timing of this makes me think Edwards was aware he'd hurt Obama's chances by staying on Tuesday.

But he also has no plans to endorse a specific candidate, so his reasoning is all the more complex.

Or else even he does not know what he is doing. [Wink]

Tough break for Romney, he lost by 6% and thus gets 0 delegates.

Somebody else made a comment in this thread akin to, "If Giuliani does not win in Florida his campaign will go down as a text book example of how not to run a campaign."

I think that thought has been vindicated in the wake of the days events.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

There are no questions about political views or "how did you vote" in the recommend interview.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
Rabbit, I can understand why a Mormon would be a Democrat. I can't understand how a Mormon can be a leftist or liberal. They just don't go together.

I'm sorry you are so unfamiliar with the teachings of your own church and the progressive movement. I'm afraid I don't have time right now to educate you on either.

If its worth any thing, while I understand how a Mormon can be a conservative, I can't understand how any Mormon (or follow of Christ of any denomination) can support large portions of the republican agenda.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Somebody else made a comment in this thread akin to, "If Giuliani does not win in Florida his campaign will go down as a text book example of how not to run a campaign."
I see it as an indictment against privileging Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. It seems Giuliani lost largely because of state order. That doesn't strike anyone else as unbecoming of democracy?
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

As far as I know, the Church has not opposed laws granting abortion rights like it has opposed laws regarding gay marriage. That wasn't my point.

Here's something from the Church's website. I think most members take that to mean that they should oppose abortion rights. I haven't said anything about whether that's right or wrong.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I see it as an indictment against privileging Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. It seems Giuliani lost largely because of state order. That doesn't strike anyone else as unbecoming of democracy?
Yup.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
From my understanding of the church's policy on abortion, if there was a vote legal or not, you could vote either way and still hold a temple recommend.

Yes, but you can vote either way on the gay marriage issue and still hold a temple recommend too. My understanding is that the church has never taken a stand on whether or not abortion should be legal, they have only taken a stand on when it is morally justifiable.
katharina
Member # 827

That is my understanding as well.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Here's something from the Church's website. I think that most members take to mean that they should oppose abortion rights.
Yes, I am familiar with that position. My point was that there is a difference between the church teaching that something is a sin and the church teaching that something should be illegal. I believe that many things are sins, even very serious sins such as adultery, but don't think that means they should be illegal. I find that most Mormons understand that distinction very well in the case of adultery but completely miss the distinction in the case of abortion.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
quote:
There was some discussion several pages back about how the delegate penalty for MI and FL jumping ahead could hopefully bring the whole state-order portion of the primary system into the spotlight, and maybe get it changed in the future. The problem with having all the states go at the same time is it gives even more advantage to the candidates with the most money. Still, something really ought to be changed there.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
My point was that there is a difference between the church teaching that something is a sin and the church teaching that something should be illegal.

Yes, there is. I never said there wasn't. My only point was that (I'm assuming) Occasional probably thinks that you can't be a good Mormon and a liberal because of issues like abortion.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
We could kill two birds with one stone here. Get the GOP and Democrat party leaders in the same room with the BCS bigwigs and fix all the systems at once. Maybe work out one big playoff system for football and politics.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

BCS?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

link
pooka
Member # 5003

I don't think it had to do with the priviledges of those states so much as that Giuliani thought his lead was so secure, he could skip campaigning in 5 states and just pluck the biggest pear. I mean, if we count Iowa, I think it's only fair to count the caucuses in Wyoming and Nevada.

So I think Giuliani made a huge gamble that didn't pay off, he fell to hubris, *but* I would also like to see a rotation in the early states.

P.S. Re: The legality of abortion
I think that if the legality of elective abortion were ever put to a vote of the populace, the church might well have a position. As it has been made the law of the land which we are obligated to honor and sustain, they aren't going to publish a position against it. It is something to consider re: gay marriage as well. Would we really be honoring the law if we denied marriage to gay people if it were established?

pooka
Member # 5003

I guess Giuliani's withdrawal is going to wait until after the Edwards press has gone down. Such drama!
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Yeah, you wouldn't want your withdrawal to be overshadowed by someone else's.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
so does this help Obama? Would the people who were voting for Edwards be more likely to vote now for Obama or for Hilary?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Edwards' positions are closer to Obama's than Clinton's, but I don't know which way his supporters will jump.

And personally, I think he did Obama a favor by announcing today and taking some of the attention away from Clinton's meaningless victory party last night.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama. Overwhelmingly, I suspect.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

No kidding. And now (of course) Senator Clinton says she will work to make sure Florida's delegates get counted.

Isn't that so democratically-minded of her? I like how she took a stand against stripping the delegates before she won our primary (without *wink wink* campaigning)

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Do you think Edwards is a likely choice as Obama's VP? Seems like he was positioning himself that way.
katharina
Member # 827

I don't think he'll do the VP thing again. More importantly, I doubt Obama will choose him.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Depends, who would he choose? Hilary? Colbert? things crossed*
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I'd be looking at Kathleen Sebelius, governor of Kansas. Strong on her issues, good speaker (note she was chosen to provide the Democratic rebuttal after the State of the Union speech), and she'd provide an amazing ticket: an African-American prez and a female VP.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it here that we were discussing how Edwards would be a great Attorney General?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmm... Obama in the Presidency with Richardson as Secretary of State and Edwards as Attorney General...

...I like it. But who would be the veep?

[Edit: Oops, missed Chris' post above mine. Add his VP pick and we're looking at a pretty sweet Administration. Instead of Fantasy Football or Fantasy Congress, it's Fantasy Administration!]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Wesley Clark?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming he wins, Obama will pick Richardson or Wesley Clark. He needs international experience on the ticket, and either would also be an olive branch to the Clinton camp.

Clinton will go with Evan Bayh, most likely. Clark's possible here too.

I'm surprised Edwards has dropped out. I would have assumed he'd continue to amass delegates, then swing them to one or the other of the other two, based on a promise probably of Attorney General. He's too much a retread to go with VP again.

I'm not so sure his voters go to Obama. He tends to draw support from poor whites, who so far have been supporting Clinton overwhelmingly. My first impulse is that this hurts Obama.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 82 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  80  81  82   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.