FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Presidential Primary News & Discussion Center - Obama Clinches Nomination (Page 68)

This topic comprises 82 pages: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  80  81  82   
Author Topic: Presidential Primary News & Discussion Center - Obama Clinches Nomination
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
On my drive in this morning I was completely surrounded by SUVs with one person each in them. Of course, I guess it's possible they were normally motorcyclists using the second car on account of the rain. I suppose that's why my husband would have been in a van today.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rev. Wright is speaking to the press club this morning. I only got to hear part of the speech as I was leaving for work, but he certainly sounded a great deal more like who I thought he was before all this soundbite controversy. He was putting the African American church and liberation theology in context in a very inspiring and scholarly way. For those of you who are interested, I highly recommend listening to it if it available later.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/04/tom-hayden-look.html
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

McCain uses Alabama slave labor
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

That use of inmates sounds totally bizarre, though for $100 set up fee, I'm not too up in arms. I guess it does substantiate the argument that the facility is rarely used on Mondays. I do think they will wind up having to reimburse the city for the difference in fees vs. what the democrat event paid.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

I shoulda put an [Evil] after my link. I mean WHAT could the mayor have been thinking?
Uncompensated labor? In Alabama? Darn near free use of rental space?
Good grief. Normally, ya'd hafta pay political consultants to dream up such schemes to sabotage the opponent.

Personally, I think the McCain campaign was bushwhacked by a well-meaning but overly "helpful" idiot. And while the campaign will probably not have to reimburse the city for the difference, I suspect that it will reimburse the city just to make sure that folks know that such "help" is NOT appreciated.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I only got to hear part of the speech as I was leaving for work, but he certainly sounded a great deal more like who I thought he was before all this soundbite controversy.
I only saw a portion of it this morning. I am no fan of Obama, but I think it is dirty how other politicians are trying to tie him to anti-Americanism.

That being said, I was not impressed with the portion I heard. It sounded like he was equating ANY attack on his controversial comments with an overall agenda of attacking the richness of black culture, history, and religion.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I think the McCain campaign was bushwhacked by a well-meaning but overly "helpful" idiot. And while the campaign will probably not have to reimburse the city for the difference, I suspect that it will reimburse the city just to make sure that folks know that such "help" is NOT appreciated.
I can't imagine that the campaign wasn't informed about these discounts when they made the contract. They should have insisted on paying the full cost then and not after the it hit the proverbial fan. This still could easily have been a mistake by a low level campaign person, but I'm sure the fault doesn't lie solely at the mayors end.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't imagine that the campaign wasn't informed about these discounts when they made the contract.
I've been quoted different prices for the same municipal facilities multiple times, including in situations when I have received discounts without being told. This has happened in at least one county and two cities.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

There was an article on AOL today that Howard Dean says someone has to drop out in June. He's not saying who or that he can force them to, they will just know when it is time. Considering Hillary's hopes have depended on the convention since Super Tuesday, though, I really don't see that happening.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
The Rev. Wright is speaking to the press club this morning. I only got to hear part of the speech as I was leaving for work, but he certainly sounded a great deal more like who I thought he was before all this soundbite controversy. He was putting the African American church and liberation theology in context in a very inspiring and scholarly way. For those of you who are interested, I highly recommend listening to it if it available later.

Link to transcript:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/us/politics/28text-wright.html?pagewanted=all

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

pooka -

That's promising. He can't force anyone to drop out, but he can apply pressure to superdelegates to get them to support one side or the other. Maybe he's serious about having that Superdelegate convention in June.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
I can't imagine that the campaign wasn't informed about these discounts when they made the contract.
I've been quoted different prices for the same municipal facilities multiple times, including in situations when I have received discounts without being told. This has happened in at least one county and two cities.
How did you find out that you had received a discount if you weren't told? (honest question, not intended to be rhetorical).

I understand what you are saying about verbal quotes, but in my experience the discount is always listed on the contract when you finally get it in writing.

I honestly don't know whether accepting this kind of in kind donation violates federal election laws or not. I am however quite confident that it would violate the local statutes for the mayor to donate public tax payer resources for use in a political campaign.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/columnists/louis/index.html
pooka
Member # 5003

The soundbit I heard on the radio this morning suggests an ongoing disaster, which was "an attack on Rev. Wright is an attack on the black church." I have some doubt that's an accurate summation, but I really think Wright is on a whole different planet from Obama philosophically and he thinks he's helping, but he's not.

I guess this is the quote from his transcript:
quote:
And I stand before you to open up this two-day symposium with the hope that this most recent attack on the black church is not an attack on Jeremiah Wright; it is an attack on the black church.

pooka
Member # 5003

I was very moved by the "God with us" paragraph and the Gospel of transformation. He clearly has brought forth the fruits of Christianity. I love Isaiah 61 and Luke 4. But what happened in Luke 4? His hometown synagogue tried to kill Jesus right then and there.

Here's the trouble:

quote:
Now, the implications from the outside are obvious. If I see God as male, if I see God as white male, if I see God as superior, as God over us and not Immanuel, which means "God with us," if I see God as mean, vengeful, authoritarian, sexist, or misogynist, then I see humans through that lens.
How can there be reconciliation? Wright assumes white men are hateful. I'm not Jewish [white, in Wright's view] or male, but that is the tabernacle of flesh Jesus conducted his mortal walk in.

Loving someone different from me does not require me to hate myself. I think that's what Wright wants to say, but he's stuck on the wrongs done in the past. He's calling for confession from the captors, but that's not how it works. Redemption and reconciliation call on the grace and virtue of the Lord because it is beyond the power of humans.

That is what first attracted me to Obama, that we let go of our victimhood as minorities. Wright speaks of the value of "Fresh Africans", he needs to learn from Obama.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
The soundbit I heard on the radio this morning suggests an ongoing disaster, which was "an attack on Rev. Wright is an attack on the black church." I have some doubt that's an accurate summation, but I really think Wright is on a whole different planet from Obama philosophically and he thinks he's helping, but he's not.

I guess this is the quote from his transcript:
quote:
And I stand before you to open up this two-day symposium with the hope that this most recent attack on the black church is not an attack on Jeremiah Wright; it is an attack on the black church.

I don't think that he thinks he is helping. I am not sure that he has any interest at all in seeing Obama elected. He is smart enough to know that every word out of his mouth hurts Obama. I think. On the one hand, he is scholarly and intelligent and reasoned and then he gets almost ego maniacal and crazy. The difference between his prepared speech and the question period afterwards was striking. I don't know whether he has always been this way, but I suspect that his behavior and his retirement could be indicators of something - age, disease - going wrong with his brain.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to stop paying attention. I'm just getting too frustrated and enraged at the whole gorram mess. Obama tried so hard to rise above the sticking pile of dog crap that has been American Politics for as long as I can remember (admittedly I'm young). And he didn't just try to rise above it, he tried to bring everyone else up to join him. The other candidates, the media, the voters, everyone. But no, they all refused to let him change politics for the better. They all dragged him down as hard as they could. It took them a while, but they succeeded, and now he's down. How do you get back up from that? How do you climb out of the dirt and mud once you've been so completely dogpiled, shake off the dogpile and rise above it all again? Every time he tries to get back up they just tackle him again.

It's like watching a kid who doesn't really want to fight, he just wants to talk, get attacked by a tough old street gang. He tries to talk through their differences and the street gang just hits him. He doesn't want to hit back but every now and again while being pummeled by blows he lashes out in an attempt to get some breathing time. And they taunt him for it and use it as an excuse to hit him some more, "Look he tried to hit me! That means I can hit him more, in self defense!" Part of me wants him to just let lose and pummel them all into the dirt, he's capable of it and they've given him more than enough ammunition. But if he does that he's failed, politics won't have changed, he won't have risen above them, he'll have joined them.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Maybe Wright assumes that Obama will get beaten in the general if not in the primary, and the "black church" may as well get some quality press out of him while he's on top. I put the scare quotes because I'm really confused by that moniker. I mean, the UCC came out and defended Wright earlier, and now he's saying it's about a shadow church. Does this black church include all black Christianity, or is it aligned with the Nation of Islam?

I share your frustration about Obama, Alcon. It's strange that as weird as wright's speech was, it took me back to when I first read about Obama, and I have to forgive him for the whole "bitter" thing.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
How did you find out that you had received a discount if you weren't told? (honest question, not intended to be rhetorical).
We compared to other people at later times.

quote:
I understand what you are saying about verbal quotes, but in my experience the discount is always listed on the contract when you finally get it in writing.
We had a liability and waiver document, a security deposit document, and a cover paging listing the total amount in a blank.

Ultimately, there was a form available that listed rates. We ended up looking at it later (this was before the web). But, in general, the process was "How much for this room next Saturday?" "$200. Sign these."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

pooka, I think that Mr. Wright had some valid points to make about the african American church. It is not as monolithic (or as all about him) as he made it sound, but it is, from what I have seen, a very different experience of worship than what most of us are accustomed to. As he pointed out, some very different theologies, histories, hermeneutics and personalities have shaped the African American mode of worship. The bombastic, aggressive preaching style that feels so harsh to our ears is not as jarring in context. The emphasis on the gospel as a liberation message, the understanding of Christ as an advocate for the oppressed all make more sense when we understand the history.

We all make Jesus out to look more like us. How many blond baby Jesus pictures have you seen?

pooka
Member # 5003

I'm asian, so those don't really look like me (except when I was really little and thought I was white). I don't need Jesus to be female, either. I can accept Jesus as he was - male, mediterrenean, and younger than me, now.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Right. And that is a reasonable historic assumption. We haven't always viewed Jesus that historically - see tons of European art depicting Jesus pretty darn unhistorically. And in that depiction, for African slaves, Jesus looked a lot like the people who were enslaving them. There was also mindset (on which we are gradually shedding) that the more you looked like Jesus, the higher up you were in the social strata. Also, IIRC, Wright wasn't talking about Jesus/God; he was referring to God as a whole. In most mainstream Christianity, we don't officially assign a gender to Creator/God anymore.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always kind of rooting for Obama even though I couldn't bring myself to agree with many of his positions. I guess I was getting caught up in the historicalness of it all, but I must admit that I am very pessimistic about what this endless Wright affair bodes for Obama in the general election. First of all, it's entirely fair game for the Republicans to exploit the issue. Secondly, as I came across on a blog, a bit of irony is at work here:

quote:
If Sen. Obama is undone by all of this... well, ummm... he did choose this pastor. He chose a church with a racial-nationalist agenda.

And I bet that’s because, as a biracial man raised by whites, Obama felt the need to boost his “black” credentials to make himself more electable.

And that, my friends, is called irony.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
whoever wrote that blog is a bonefide idiot pure and simple.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
whoever wrote that blog is a bonefide idiot pure and simple.

Why beat about the bush!
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that the more you looked like Jesus, the higher up you were in the social strata.
Go me!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Obama has issued a rebuke to the Rev. Wright. I wonder if Hillary's response will be, "But he did not denounce him!"

This election for the Democrats is really starting to stagnate, it just feels stale to me now. I really hope Obama manages to break out of this funk, and run into the nomination and just keep going.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
In most mainstream Christianity, we don't officially assign a gender to Creator/God anymore.
I'm confused. I thought the trinity was the view that God and Jesus were more particularly one. Though you have a point that God the Father could certainly be black or asian.

It all seems pretty sad. If Wright must know he's hurting Obama, he's probably getting back at him for calling him a senile uncle and kicking him off the campaign.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Well Obama has issued a rebuke to the Rev. Wright. I wonder if Hillary's response will be, "But he did not denounce him!"

This election for the Democrats is really starting to stagnate, it just feels stale to me now. I really hope Obama manages to break out of this funk, and run into the nomination and just keep going.

I'll laugh if she calls him a flip flopper for not rejecting him before but doing it now that it's politically expedient.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy for Wright. He wasn't given the pulpit to make sure that Obama becomes President. He is there to do a job. If Obama has to distance himself, so be it, but I do admit to being amused by the fact that Obama's big tent, unifying One America campaign doesn't have room for Samantha Power and Jeremiah Wright. We aren't one country. There is an America who believes that Reagan punted on AIDS, and then there is the America who believes in no such thing. Both parts are America, and are essentially American, and Wright speaks for one part, and the white people who actually elect the President speak for the other.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you believe that the government deliberately gave AIDS to black people, Irami?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I do believe the government was casual about it when the issue was a matter of blacks and gays. It's similar to our foreign genocide problem. As long as a electorally significant population isn't affected, it's not a problem.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet that's a categorically different claim than the one being made by Wright. "The government ignored the problem until a large bloc of voters got upset" is not what he is saying.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
I'm happy for Wright. He wasn't given the pulpit to make sure that Obama becomes President. He is there to do a job. If Obama has to distance himself, so be it, but I do admit to being amused by the fact that Obama's big tent, unifying One America campaign doesn't have room for Samantha Power and Jeremiah Wright. We aren't one country. There is an America who believes that Reagan punted on AIDS, and then there is the America who believes in no such thing. Both parts are America, and are essentially American, and Wright speaks for one part, and the white people who actually elect the President speak for the other.

Are you saying black people have no say in determining whose president?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

No. I am saying that we live in a majority ruled democracy, and black people are around 13 percent of the population. White people make the laws. White people execute the laws. White people interpret the laws. And black people serve at the pleasure of white people. This is includes Barack Obama. He isn't a Presidential contender because black people like him. He is a presidential contender because he won Iowa. Now I think Barack Obama is going to lose 48 states to McCain, and H. Clinton would lose 40. Not because they aren't better candidates than McCain, but because with a name like Barack Hussein Obama, he'd have to be 1.5 times better than his contender, and while Obama may be 1.5 times better than most Republicans, he is only a little bit better than McCain. Even if you factor in McCain's temper and age, the guy is a war hero who treats immigrants like people instead of labor or a disease. Obama would have an even chance against Romney, only because Romney is an ass, but McCain? This is the country that voted for Bush in '04, I really can't see how at least fifty one percent of every state-- except Hawaii and Illinois-- could vote against McCain. (I love how firefox doesn't recognize Barack Obama-- it underlines it like I misspelled something-- but it recognizes McCain and Romney.)

Jeremiah Wright is an exception. He doesn't serve at the pleasure of white people. He only serves at the pleasure of his God, and his God doesn't seem to give white people the benefit of the doubt.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

More accurately, he serves at the pleasure of his congregation.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
And yet that's a categorically different claim than the one being made by Wright. "The government ignored the problem until a large bloc of voters got upset" is not what he is saying.

What he's saying -- at least in the speech I heard at the press gallery -- was that he believes the U.S. government is capable of having done it.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No. I am saying that we live in a majority ruled democracy, and black people are around 13 percent of the population. White people make the laws. White people execute the laws. White people interpret the laws. And black people serve at the pleasure of white people.
This argument is not reasonable. Everyone is part of some minority in America - Republicans are a minority, Catholics are a minority, overweight people are a minority, blonde-haired people are a minority, rich people are a minority, southerners are a minority, and so on and so forth. People from all these minorities come together and vote on who will govern us. It does not follow from this that Republicans serve at the pleasure of Democrats, or Catholics serve at the pleasure of non-Catholics, or the overweight serve at the pleasure of the underweight, or that blondes serve at the pleasure of brunettes, or that the rich serve at the pleasure of the poor, or that southerners serve at the pleasure of people from everywhere else. Instead, people serve at the collective pleasure of the people who support them - and almost without exception that typically extends across more than one single demographic category.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The economy grew last quarter by 0.6%.

So if we are in a recession, it started in the last month or two at the earliest.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
We rarely know when a recession (by the standard definition) occurred until after the fact. Early data is always incomplete, so until a few years have passed we're never sure when a recession occurred.

For instance, it could easily turn out that the last quarter was actually a decline. We won't know until later.

edit: and that's the number from the BEA, which has fudged numbers extensively to be more in line with the political views of this administration, to a degree significantly beyond what was seen in the last few administrations. That isn't saying they might not be right, but it is saying that such an early number from such a suspect source yields almost no information beyond "we could be seeing a little growth or a little decline".

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
quote:
In most mainstream Christianity, we don't officially assign a gender to Creator/God anymore.
I'm confused. I thought the trinity was the view that God and Jesus were more particularly one. Though you have a point that God the Father could certainly be black or asian.

It all seems pretty sad. If Wright must know he's hurting Obama, he's probably getting back at him for calling him a senile uncle and kicking him off the campaign.

Jesus (Son, Redeemer) is God Incarnate. Being incarnate, Jesus had physical characteristics, looks, race, gender and so forth. God (Father/Mother Creator) is not (according to most Christian traditions) incarnate therefore does not have those traits. Nor does God Holy Spirit.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If Wright must know he's hurting Obama, he's probably getting back at him for calling him a senile uncle and kicking him off the campaign.

Was Wright ever a part of Obama's campaign? (Honest question--I didn't think he was, but I could very easily be wrong)
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Here's the Catechism's teaching on the matter:

quote:
II. THE REVELATION OF GOD AS TRINITY

The Father revealed by the Son

238 Many religions invoke God as "Father". The deity is often considered the "father of gods and of men". In Israel, God is called "Father" inasmuch as he is Creator of the world.59 Even more, God is Father because of the covenant and the gift of the law to Israel, "his first-born son".60 God is also called the Father of the king of Israel. Most especially he is "the Father of the poor", of the orphaned and the widowed, who are under his loving protection.61

239 By calling God "Father", the language of faith indicates two main things: that God is the first origin of everything and transcendent authority; and that he is at the same time goodness and loving care for all his children. God's parental tenderness can also be expressed by the image of motherhood,62 which emphasizes God's immanence, the intimacy between Creator and creature. The language of faith thus draws on the human experience of parents, who are in a way the first representatives of God for man. But this experience also tells us that human parents are fallible and can disfigure the face of fatherhood and motherhood. We ought therefore to recall that God transcends the human distinction between the sexes. He is neither man nor woman: he is God. He also transcends human fatherhood and motherhood, although he is their origin and standard:63 no one is father as God is Father.

240 Jesus revealed that God is Father in an unheard-of sense: he is Father not only in being Creator; he is eternally Father in relation to his only Son, who is eternally Son only in relation to his Father: "No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."64

pooka
Member # 5003

He had a role that he resigned from. Let me go check it out.

P.S. Wiki
quote:
In late 2007, Wright was appointed to Barack Obama's African American Religious Leadership Committee, a group of over 170 national black religious leaders who supported Obama's bid for the Democratic nomination;[25] however, it was announced in March 2008 that Wright was no longer serving as a member of this group.[26]

Thanks Dag and kate, for your patience with my speculations, and for the link.

I think it would raise some eyebrows if anyone who wasn't black had a clergy task force such as Wright led for Obama. (spelling edit)

[ April 30, 2008, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure a lot of politicians have religious advisory councils who they talk to to get views on particular issues. It's like a focus group, but as a standing committtee.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
What he's saying -- at least in the speech I heard at the press gallery -- was that he believes the U.S. government is capable of having done it.
That's even more nonsensical. The U.S. government is capable of a lot of things, but that doesn't mean that we should rhetorically address those things as if they happened.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
So. Gax tax holiday...cynical political manipulation or are Hillary Clinton and John McCain just that bad at understanding economics?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The former. Which I find worse than the latter.
  This topic comprises 82 pages: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  80  81  82   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.