FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How rude do you think I am? (added my conclusions) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How rude do you think I am? (added my conclusions)
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I refuse to be railroaded!

(Okay, I'll stop.)

Don't! The pun threads are community building; they tie us together.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, we should train new users to make them.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Get your caboose in gear; let's engineer this change!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
HO HO HO.

I don't think these puns make the grade.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Dag's right, I'm afraid. I can't express how much it saddens me to say so, but it's true.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if they engender pacific feelings in this reading crowd?

[ January 11, 2008, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'll have to choo on that for a while.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
They do tie us together as a community.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Even if we stop with the puns, though, I feel confident that Tres'll bridge the gaps between us.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

They give us a good reason to go crazy, too. Puns are a loco motive.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

*LAUGH*
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(Noemon! I jumped to the same "tie" reference as you did! getouddamyhead!)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
When y'all are done with the loco puns, I assume you'll be moving on to flat math and Detroit-related ones?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
(Noemon! I jumped to the same "tie" reference as you did! getouddamyhead!)

[Big Grin]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
But Noemon wins with the "Tres'll bridge" pun. That was inspired.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your doing fine. Maybe some people mistake your directness for bad manners. I try not to be overly sensitive about others comments and try to absorb the content and not the presentation of more emotional posts.

That being said, I know I have come off as rude before, but If I feel strongly about something, I'm not going sugar-coat my opinion. (There was a thread in which someone made that statement that Christianity was as violent as Islam, and I didn't have very nice things to say about the intellectual dishonesty of the person who said it.) However If I stick my foot in my mouth I will apologize, and I don't take offense if the roles are reversed and someone goes off the handle on me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about it, you can't please everybody, and as long as your not insulting people personally or trolling you should be O.K. [Smile]

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
suminonA,

Your current PFD reminded me of this one and so rather than disrupt that thread, I thought I'd come over here and offer you some more pointers on how to relate better with people here.

So here are the pointers, in no particular order.

1. Stop making up new words and acronyms. English is not your native language. As a result you don't understand how your new words are going to sound to a native English speaker. English is full of lots and lots of really good words, 3 times as many as any other language. With a little research you should be able to find an existing English word that expresses what you mean far better than the terms you make up.

2. Be respectful towards what other people consider sacred or of great worth. When people hold something as sacred, weird terms, funny spellings, creative acronyms and such will come across a disrespectful whether you intend them to or not. In these areas its best to tread lightly and err on the side of caution. Most people here can joke and laugh about their religion but there are limits. When you aren't intimately familiar with the language and culture of others its too easy to over step those limits without meaning to.

3. Lists of questions generally make for dull threads. People too often post their answers and move on. In such threads I rarely see anyone respond to anyone's answers so dialog never develops.

[ February 07, 2008, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
#3 is the biggie. Why the heck would people want to respond to a survey about their beliefs? No one cares about #2 if your topic is at least interesting, but surveys are inherently uninteresting.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.