FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mitt Romney's out (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Mitt Romney's out
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
According to GOP sources.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney will suspend his Republican presidential campaign after a disappointing showing in this week's "Super Tuesday" primaries and caucuses, GOP sources said today. Romney is expected to announce his decision this afternoon at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, three Republican sources told CNN.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAAAAAh!

I mean, I support McCain, but
AAAAAAAAAh!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

And now, because he is "suspending", we get to become acquainted with another bit of byzantine primary minutiae.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Noooooo. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm guessing most states will give his delegates out proportionally to the people remaining in the race?

It certainly creates an interesting impression of... fluidity in the delegate count, particularly as it involves Michigan and Florida.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Frak. Although, if they do give out the delegates proportionally, Paul will still get some.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Odd as it sounds, I think Obama might benefit the most from this latest casualty.

A lot of people will say this was a calculated business decision, but I think Romney is motivated by a desire to unite the party again. or at least stop some of the in-fighting.

pooka
Member # 5003

Yeah, Lisa, I guess he wins Nevada now! Come to think of it, most of the Romney supporters I know well will probably flock to Paul.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
So how exactly is "suspending" different from withdrawing?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Withdrawing means you take your ball and go home. Suspending means you leave the ball and go home. Each state decides what to do with Romney's delegates.

It will be most interesting to see what the winner take all states do with his things.

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think Romney may attempt to get in as McCain's running mate, or is there too much animosity there?

I admit, I haven't been keeping track of the GOP race that much, so that could be a really stupid question.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
How does this help Obama?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

It's kind of up to McCain, but such a move would do a lot to resolve the corner that the conservative media have painted themselves into.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Yeah, Lisa, I guess he wins Nevada now! Come to think of it, most of the Romney supporters I know well will probably flock to Paul.

I think I will swing my support to McCain. Of course, my ambivalence between McCain, Clinton and Obama is enough that, given the right running mate/campaign, I could vote for any of them in the general.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, crap. I don't know who to vote for now. I mean, I've been centering my attention on Romney for most of the campaigning, and I don't really know what the other candidates' policies are. My bad.

Time for some serious researching...

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

It's interesting, though. McCain is known widely as a RINO (Republican In Name Only). I suspect quite a lot of former Romney supporters may swing their vote to Ron Paul now.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
Well it could mean that Independents or Republicans who would have voted in Republican primaries will conclude that race is over, and so instead vote in the open Democratic primaries. I would think those people would favor Obama over Hilary.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa:

Huckabee isn't out yet.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
quote:
Well it could mean that Independents or Republicans who would have voted in Republican primaries will conclude that race is over, and so instead vote in the open Democratic primaries. I would think those people would favor Obama over Hilary.
These are my feelings exactly.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Makes sense.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The "Lesser Evil" just keeps gettin' eviler...

Now I have to support McCain?

At least whoever is president next will most likely be a one termer.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

It should also be noted that polls have pretty consistently shown that Clinton would lose to McCain, but that Obama would beat McCain, as of late. So, I'd think that knowing McCain is the likely candidate would make that another factor in Obama's favor.
pooka
Member # 5003

He's making me cry.
He did not say "I endorse McCain" but he is the only Republican he mentioned, and emphasized the war on Terror and that McCain would do that.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Tresopax, stop picking on pooka.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Wyoming is a big question mark. It was winner take all and everyone who had votes is now out of the race (Romney, Thompson, Hunter, plus 3 uncommitted). 9 delegates, but still.

I'm so sad.

I don't know what to do with these numbers. I have each state that awarded Romney delegates. I have the number of delegates awarded, and I have the percentages won by McCain, Huckabee and Paul.

Scott R
Member # 567

From the AP article:

quote:
"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror,"
:shakes fist:

This type of language is precisely why I will not support the GOP this election.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Gosh, you could have at least talked about how attractive he was. That's the courtesy we extended John Edwards.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"In this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."
Pardon?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Withdrawing means you take your ball and go home. Suspending means you leave the ball and go home. Each state decides what to do with Romney's delegates.

It will be most interesting to see what the winner take all states do with his things.

That is all true on the Republican side of the coin. For Democrats, John Edwards, who also suspended his campaign will still keep all his delegates that he has won so far and any he wins subsequentially.

Scott:
quote:
This type of language is precisely why I will not support the GOP this election.

Were you being facetious? If not, I hope you realize that both Obama and Clinton say they favor a withdrawal schedule from Iraq. Their language of getting out is equally as strong as the Republican talk of staying in.

And I say this as somebody who likes Obama alot, and will likely vote for him now if he gets the nomination.

edit: I think it would help the Democrats if they could frequently discuss what they are going to do after they pull troops out. I like Obama better because he talks about getting the Iraqi government to step up, while Clinton says things like, "I'll have them all out in 90 days."

For many conservatives they hear this talk of, pulling out and then nothing is discussed concerning, "What then?" So they just think about the worst case scenario and think the Democrats are going to pull us our of Iraq and then just hope the terrorists go away.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
quote:
"In this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."
Pardon?

--j_k

My parents believe that if a Democrat gets elected to office this country will become a safe haven for terrorists and we will all die at the hands of Islam.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There's only one way to find out...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
And I say this as somebody who likes Obama alot, and will likely vote for him now if he gets the nomination.
This is what I meant by Romney's departure helping Obama, directly, and not in the way that hurting McCain helps the Wahabists.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

Not that I would've supported the GOP in any case, but it's that kind of language that I find most infuriating in political discourse. And I find it even more disheartening that it's a type of language that tends to work on a large number of people.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
The "Lesser Evil" just keeps gettin' eviler...

Now I have to support McCain?

Not really. You can support Paul.
Scott R
Member # 567

I don't know that a withdrawal schedule helps the terrorists. That's a logical leap I'm not willing to make just yet.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know that a withdrawal schedule helps the terrorists. That's a logical leap I'm not willing to make just yet.

Understood. I'll put my gun down now. [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

How long would you have stayed in 7th grade if you didn't know it was going to end?

Okay, my guesstimates which are just kind of eyeball proportions on what happens to Romney's delegates:
McCain gets 165 delegates, Huckabee gets 64 and Paul gets 48. This does not included WY, though I rather suspect they will wind up with McCain when all is said and done I also assumed Utah's 36 would stay in a bloc going to McCain, though he only got 5% of the vote. Spreadsheet The second sheet shows percentages taken from CNN.

[ February 07, 2008, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
From the AP article:

quote:
"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror,"

Ron Paul is a GOP candidate who disagrees.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."
So, what a jackass quote there. It's like he wanted to make sure he wasn't too missed when he left.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
Were you being facetious? If not, I hope you realize that both Obama and Clinton say they favor a withdrawal schedule from Iraq. Their language of getting out is equally as strong as the Republican talk of staying in.
The problem with the language Romney used is that he seems to be equating the democratic process with aiding terrorism.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
How long would you have stayed in 7th grade if you didn't know it was going to end?

As somebody who had to go back to 1st grade while in 2nd grade I'd say I had my doubts that school would ever end.

Now I am almost 26, and there is still no end in sight for school, but I am still glad I made the investment.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
quote:
The problem with the language Romney used is that he seems to be equating the democratic process with aiding terrorism.
No, he like many Republicans think the Democrats are going to be too soft on terrorism especially if Clinton is elected. So helping the Democrats win in 08 to many of them is like a vote for Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain of "appeasment" fame.
pooka
Member # 5003

And the mighty plastic sword of Godwin falls...

Now what was important about this speech is it reframes people who are already conservative as to what's important, rather than being charmed by Huckabee and his Amway taglines.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
And the mighty plastic sword of Godwin falls...

Technically speaking I did not talk about nazism but rather the doctrine of appeasment when it comes to dictators.

Or does Godwin's jurisdiction cover the whole of Europe during the 1930s and 40s?

Had I referenced 1920's Imperial Chinese appeasment of Japan would that really have made a difference?

edit: Or Native American treaties with the United States?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Godwin is invoked any time you use a metaphor.

You frikkin' Nazi.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Godwin is just another nazi trying to stifle dissent.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
A vote for Clinton is a vote for Hitler.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hilter for Lower Minehead City Council!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
1920's Imperial China?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad this is not a website where those last few posts would actually be serious.

I believe I've seen kinds like that. That's why I'm here, not there, and am enjoying the joking atmosphere.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.