FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Revenge of the Middle Class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Revenge of the Middle Class
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
... With extra cash, he has no excuse not to move out, something which we'd all like to see.

No excuses? Are we still talking about the same person?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
You'll note that he's not using it for that purpose. Too bad -- I would be absolutely thrilled if he did.

And you'll note that the breakdown goes like this:

3500$ Bursuries.
2000$ Loans.
2000$ Specifcally applied for Computer Loans

The latter 2k is MEANT for purchasing a new computer.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
quote from Blayne--"I'll probly be moving out this summer, me and a friend are conducting preliminary plannings now."

He has said this before, and as Squicky noted (although I'm not sure I agree with his assessment on why), there is no urgency.

Seems to be plenty of urgency on getting a cool gaming rig, though.

Also, I heard you the first time. Any particular reason you feel the need to beat this specific dead horse?

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Didn't have to sign a thing, my parents declare their income, I declare my income they calculate how much I can get and then give it to me.
I would be very surprised if you didn't have to sign anything. Otherwise you could simply pretend that you never received the loan in the first place.
Among other problems.

quote:
Originally posted by Sid Meier:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
You'll note that he's not using it for that purpose. Too bad -- I would be absolutely thrilled if he did.

And you'll note that the breakdown goes like this:

3500$ Bursuries.
2000$ Loans.
2000$ Specifcally applied for Computer Loans

The latter 2k is MEANT for purchasing a new computer.

At the time I posted, I don't think you had clarified that. Regardless, I have absolutely NO problem with you spending money on a computer for school. Or on a living space that is not your current bad situation! Quite the contrary -- I think both those things are perfect ways to spend the money.

I am concerned that you seem to think this money is less a tool to help with your education, and more free toys. I'd be thrilled if you took Scott's suggestion and proved me wrong. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't scotts suggestion building it myself? I am certain I said 2-3 times that I what I am doing, building it myself... with oversight from Dano but then again I am not spending money only to break it putting it together.

And yes it is school related that I can play any and all games every made possibly even crysis at darn near max settings on 1600by1000 somethingish resolution is merely an unattented unplanned for awesome side effect. [Smile]

In all seriousness I got my original desktop some 5 years ago and have been repairing and updated it haphazardly since. That it can actually use the HD3870 (top of the line video card) is a surprise cosnidering they (MDG) said that my motherboard does not have PCIE, which it turns out it does.

Its old, it might go at anytime and I'm starting to notice the new visual studios are starting to get higher and higher resource requirements.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dan's point is that in today's global economy, you can't go around screwing the middle class and not expect it to have grave consequences.

The current mortgage problem is having world wide consequences, and because of this the middle class now has some defense, which is to say, yeh, go ahead and screw me, but remember when you screw me, you screw yourself.

In my opinion business and government are incredibly short sighted, and that is gradually coming to a head. It's nice to make money, but making money without regard for the consequences of doing so only hurts you in the long run.

So, yes, we can hold our mortgages up as a banner, and even as a form of blackmail, to the business world, to remind them that the days when the local 'evil' banker could foreclose on a home with no greater consequences to the community are gone.

Bankers made ridiculously bad loans to people with ridiculously bad credit, because the banker never intended to hold that loan. Bank loans are gathered together and sold as commodities on the open market. The banker made money on the load when he initiated it and when he sold he, then he was free and clear of the debt. What did he care if the individuals couldn't pay it back.

In today's world, 'good credit' has been turned on its head. Those with 'bad credit' are now considered to have 'good credit'. Those who manage their money poorly are the favored clients while those who manage their money wisely are considered deadbeats.

My brother who has always been very financially responsible was thinking of buying a house, so he closed all his misc credit cards, and paid down all his debt, and the bank who hardly lend him anything for his new home. My brother's friends were buried in student loan and consumer debt qualified for a much more expensive house, which they bought.

That's the problem with today's consumer economy, it is build on an illusion, a falsely interpreted illusion at that. Spend, spend, spend, consume, consume, consume, debt, debt, debt may be good in the short term, but it is a house of cards that is about to fall down, and when it does, the result is going to be worldwide disaster.

Some idiot-people who took out idiot-home-loans from idiot-bankers, really do need to default on their mortgages. They never could afford them, and they never should have had them. I see no reason for the taxpayer to subsidies idiots. They need to default, and let the idiot banker accept responsibility for their idiot decisions.

In the long run this actually helps people, because the price of hyper-inflated homes will come down closer to where they should be priced, and that will make homes more available to people who can really afford them.

Any time there is a real-state bubble, you can be absolutely certain, that bubble is going to burst. How could it not?

The whole 'flipping' of homes in Florida, frequently home that hadn't even been built yet, was nothing but a big pyramid scheme guaranteed to crumble under its own weight. The only hope you could have if your were 'flipping' home in Miami is that you were early enough in the pyramid that you made some money, even knowing that the people stuck at the end of the pyramid scheme, were going to be left holding worthless property and were, as a result, going to lose a fortune. Still I have no sympathy for any of them. They created a game of hyper-inflating home prices through rampant unscrupulous speculation, and I say, let them take the hit. Mean while, if I win the lottery, I'll be happy to go down to Miami and pick over the bones of their greed.

Thanks, I feel better now.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.