FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Recipe Challenge! (Are we finished?!) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Hatrack Recipe Challenge! (Are we finished?!)
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Blech.

I vote we leave it variable, but suspend the "you must already have it in your kitchen" clause. For the base ingredient only.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Round Two: Soup and/or salad

Participants
  • Dagonee
  • dkw
  • Tante Shvester
  • rivka
  • The Rabbit

Ingredients
  • mango
  • parsnip
  • butternut squash
  • matzah
  • shrimp

And we're off!!

[ April 27, 2008, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, did you not get my ingredient?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Dagonee. I did get your ingredient, I've even bought it and have plans for it. I have no idea how it got left off the list.

Chalk this up to the great Zyzzyva conspiracy.

I've now edit the list to include your shrimp.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I wonder how often matzah and shrimp are ever used together. [Big Grin] I'm guessing not very.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Mango and shrimp are excellent together.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Big Grin]

I forgot rivka and Tante were joining us this round - sorry about that.

Thank goodness for the substitution rule.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was about to ask about the shrimp... not Kosher = bad.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
not Kosher = bad.
That's why we have the substitution rule for people with dietary restrictions.

I'm going to have to substitute something for the Matzah myself since I'm gluten intolerant. I'm sure both rivka and Tante are experienced in making substitution for for non-Kosher ingredients. I trust them to make a reasonable choice.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

As a point of clarification, particularly for our Jewish participants, although we are talking about a "5 course meal" this is strictly a metaphor. It is not anticipated that the dishes you make in the 5 rounds would ever be served together as a single meal.

In other words, worrying about whether the dish you make in round 2 would go (either by Kosher laws or simply as a matter of taste) with what you make in any other round is stretching the metaphor further than intended.

dkw
Member # 3264

Our grocery store had not a single crumb of matzah. There was a big empty space on the shelf where it usually is. I bought a box of Lavosh, on the theory that it's also a big dry cracker-like substance and that it sits next to matzah (or the space matzah should be) on the shelf.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
I vote we leave it variable, but suspend the "you must already have it in your kitchen" clause. For the base ingredient only.

Seconded.

quote:
I wonder how often matzah and shrimp are ever used together. [Big Grin] I'm guessing not very.

Probably not. Ironically, the matzah messes more with some of the things I was contemplating than the shrimp (or what I plan to substitute) does.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
In other words, worrying about whether the dish you make in round 2 would go (either by Kosher laws or simply as a matter of taste) with what you make in any other round is stretching the metaphor further than intended.

Clarification appreciated. [Smile]

quote:
Our grocery store had not a single crumb of matzah. There was a big empty space on the shelf where it usually is.

Shocking. It must be an usually popular time to buy it. Good thing I already have some.

quote:
I bought a box of Lavosh, on the theory that it's also a big dry cracker-like substance and that it sits next to matzah (or the space matzah should be) on the shelf.

Seems reasonable.

No communion wafers available? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Shocking. It must be an usually popular time to buy it.
[Big Grin]

Who would have guessed that Matzah would be so popular during Pesach.

rivka
Member # 4859

It's not Pesach anymore . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
It's not Pesach anymore . . .

And a good thing too since the stores have run out of Matzah.

Do you suppose Dana did her shopping before or after sunset?

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, the time she posted at was only very shortly after Pesach would have been over (full dark, not sunset) in her area. So it was probably still Pesach. Then again, very few people who buy matzah for Pesach would have done so anytime after Friday afternoon/evening.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
By me, the stores mark down their matzah right after Pesach, so we (and I know some non-Jews, too, who like the stuff) stock up on it.

I'm debating whether I should use that ersatz, kosher, surimi-type "shrimp", or substitute something else entirely, like some other kind of fish or chicken.

What do y'all think?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I haven't decided yet either. It will probably depend on what the market has when I go. Hmm. Chicken I hadn't considered.

I got my matzah free before Pesach. Hard to beat that, even with post-Pesach markdowns. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Where I live, lavash is not dry nor cracker-like...)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

You can get the soft kind here too, but it lives in the deli aisle.
rivka
Member # 4859

They sell both crackery lavash and soft lavash here.
dkw
Member # 3264

I suspect that our friends who invited us to their seder last week would spot me a couple peices if they have any left. But I think that the way I'm going to end up using it it won't make any difference anyway. (It's slightly more integrated into the dish than "serve with matzah/lavosh on the side," but not much.)
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
(It's slightly more integrated into the dish than "serve with matzah/lavosh on the side," but not much.)

*laugh* I never even considered that option. Hmm.
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Even during Pesach it was hard to find matzah around here. What led to Bay Area Passover matzo shortage?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I'm done early! [Big Grin]

This turned out amazingly tasty. It exceeded my expectations.

picture

Parsnip Salad w/Butternut Squash & Spicy Mango Shrimp

½ of a ripe mango
½ c honey
¼ c lime juice

¼ c olive oil
1 small butternut squash
Salt & pepper

1 ½ T minced shallot
½ T red pepper flakes
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled & divined

2 large parsnips, peeled and shredded
4 green onions, slivered
1 small sweet red pepper, slivered
Lime vinaigrette salad dressing ( I used Newman’s Own, but you could make a homemade vinaigrette with lime juice.)

4 large matzah or other flat crackers (I used 5” Lavosh circles, because the grocery store was out of matzah)

Chop, grate, mash or otherwise reduce mango to a chunky pulp. Combine mango, honey, & lime juice in a saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat until reduced to a sticky glaze. (When you trail a spoon through the pan it should leave about a 2” trail behind it before the glaze fills it in.)

Divide glaze in half. To one half add ¼ c olive oil. Slice a small butternut squash into pieces ¼ inch thick and toss in olive oil glaze mixture. Spread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 375 for 30 minutes, flipping the pieces halfway through.

To the other half of the glaze add the minced shallots and red pepper flakes. Toss with the shrimp and cook. If it were warmer out I would have grilled the shrimp, but since it wasn’t, and I was in a hurry I just cooked them in the glaze in a wok.

Chill the roasted squash and the shrimp.

Mix the shredded parsnips and slivered onion & red pepper. Toss with enough dressing to just moisten. Put a pile of the parsnip mix on each cracker. Top with squash slices and shrimp.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this challenge because I got to eat dkw's creation which was one of the best tasting things I have ever experienced.

Wow!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
How long do we have to get our recipe here? I was planning on cooking Friday, and posting it on either Friday, Saturday night or Sunday.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

It was a week last time from the time the list was posted until I got my recipe up. I don't think we're really big on deadlines.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sounds yummy, Dana!

I didn't even know that parsnips worked raw. I'm going to have to think about this some more.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

D'oh! Just got home from work to find that my houseguests ate up the stuff I was hoping to use for my recipe.

Now, if you have houseguests who eat you out of house and home, it must surely be OK to go shopping to buy more stuff before you do this, right?

Unless chocolate chips and gefilte fish play prominently in my recipe, I'm going to have to.

And unless that is all my family is going to eat this week, I'm going to need to hit the grocery.

dkw
Member # 3264

I think that anything you would have in the house if you hadn't just run out is okay. Especially if it's something you would be buying anyway, whether you were doing the recipe challenge or not.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm glad you say so. Because the parsnip and chocolate chip salad was going to be pretty gruesome.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*contemplates how to add chocolate to his dish*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Butternut squash soup topped with bitter chocolate cream.
dkw
Member # 3264

If it were the dessert course you could make a carrot cake only with parsnips and add chocolate chips. Or a quick-bread ala zuchinni bread or bannana bread with chocolate chips.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Done!

Pickled Vegetables with "Shrimp" and Crunchy Spiced Topping

For the pickled vegetables:

2 parsnips, peeled and julienned
2 green mangoes, peeled and cut into dice
a piece of a daikon radish, peeled and julienned
1/2 jicama, peeled and cubed
Shredded green cabbage

Three days before serving, combine all these in a plastic zipper bag with 1 1/2 cups of rice vinegar and a teaspoon of salt. Squoosh the air out of the bag so that the veggies are immersed in the vinegar. Stow this in the refrigerator, and every now and then, turn the bag over and give it a squish.

After three days, add the tasty seasonings to the zipper bag: 1/2 cup spicy preserved lemons, seeds picked out and coarsely chopped; 1 Tbsp Pilpul Tsuma (Spicy chili and garlic spread, the jar says); 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/3 cup fat free zesty garlic salad dressing. Squish all this around in the bag and put it back in the refrigerator.

For the Crunchy Spiced Topping:

Bisect a butternut squash and scoop out the seeds. Pick out any squashy bits and strings and rinse the seeds well in a strainer, until they are nice and clean. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until browned and crispy. I was going to peel the shells off the seeds, but it turns out the shells are nice and crispy when toasted, so I left them on.

In a bowl, combine the following:

2 cups matzah farfel (that's just matzah crumbled up to pieces a little bigger than rolled oats)
1 whole raw egg
1 raw egg white
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp brown sugar
The toasted butternut squash seeds

Heat a dry skillet over high flame and dump in the matzah mixture. Stir it until it becomes lightly browned and very crunchy, then remove from the heat.

For the shrimp, I used a package of kosher pseudo-shrimp surimi. The pieces are pretty big, so I cut each "shrimp" in three: the skinny end got lopped off about a third of the way down, and the two-thirds remaining fat end got cut lengthwise.

To assemble: Put the pickled vegetables on a plate, put six shrimp pieces on top of the vegetables, and sprinkle a tablespoon or two of the crunchy topping on top of everything.

If I had a camera, I'd show you a picture. But I don't.

rivka
Member # 4859

Um, first I have a confession. I was so focused on what I should use as a shrimp substitute (in the end I went with chicken breast), that I misremembered the parsnip as turnip, and bought those instead. (I already had the other three ingredients.) I didn't catch my mistake until I read Esther's recipe a few minutes before Shabbos -- after mine was done cooking, and definitely too late for me to go shopping, let alone cook anything else. [Embarrassed]

The good news is that parsnip should be an easy and yummy addition to the recipe (I almost got some also, but I hate peeling parsnips), so I've written it up with both the turnips I used and the parsnips I should have. Also, from what little I know of the taste/texture of actual shrimp (which I understand to be considerably superior to the fake "shrimp," which I dislike, even though I like the "crab" made from very similar stuff), I suspect it would work very well in this salad instead of the chicken I used. The croutons were also very popular with the split pea soup we had beforehand.

Roasted Vegetable Salad with Chicken, Mango, and Matzah Croutons

A. Matzah Croutons
4 sheets matzah
olive oil spray (olive oil and a basting brush may be used instead)
to taste: garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, Italian spice mix

Place two sheets of matzah on baking sheet and spray with olive oil; turn over, repeat. Repeat with other two sheets. Place all the greased matzah in a gallon-size ziploc, and crumble. The pieces should be about the size of large croutons. Add spices to taste. Seal bag and shake to distribute evenly. Spread mixture on baking sheet, and bake at 350 until toasted and slightly browned, 10-15 minutes. Cool.

B. Roasted Veggies
3 medium turnips
2 parsnips
2 large sweet potatoes (preferably the yellow ones)
1 medium butternut squash
1/4 c. mango nectar
1/8 c. sesame oil

Peel all vegetables, and remove seeds and fibers from the squash. Cut vegetables into slices or cubes. In a new ziploc bag, combine vegetables, nectar, and oil. Shake to mix; allow the vegetables to marinate at least 30 minutes.

Pour out onto baking sheet, and bake at 450 for 45-55 minutes, turning vegetables every 15 minutes to distribute marinade and prevent burning. When vegetables are slightly softened, remove from oven and allow to cool. Then return to marinade bag and chill.

C. Assembly
2 lbs. cooked chicken (preferably roasted, but baked or boiled would work too)
2 mangoes (preferably Champagne)
1/2 c. mango nectar
1/8 c. sesame oil

Cut chicken into small strips. Mix with vegetables. Peel and dice mangoes, add to mixture, along with nectar and oil. Mix well. Chill for 2-24 hours.

Serve with matzah croutons on the side. OR, serve in individual bowls, each topped with a handful of croutons.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Sorry this is so late but I've been on the road for the past several days and won't be back home for over a week. I actually did the cooking before I left home but haven't had a chance to post it since then.

I made Shrimp and Green Mango Soup and Roasted Vegetable Salad with Molasses Vinaigrette

quote:
Shrimp and Green Mango Soup

3 large green mangos
4 cups chicken broth
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1 cup coconut milk
20 medium shrimp
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp garlic paste
1 ripe mango

Peel the green mangos, remove the flesh from the pit and place in a pot with the chicken broth. Quarter the scotch bonnet pepper, remove the seeds and add to pot. Bring contents of pot to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes (until mango is very soft). Remove and discasrd the pieces of pepper and then puree’ the mango mixture. Add coconut milk and salt to taste. Divide the soup into four bowls and chill.

Sautee’ the shrimp in garlic and butter and place 5 shrimp in each bowl of soup. Garnish each bowl of soup with pieces of the ripe mango.

The soup turned out wonderful. A mixture of hot and sour with a hint of sweet that went spectacularly with the shrimp. I will definitely do this again. I tried the soup both hot and cold. It was delicious hot but even better cold, which was a bit surprising since I'm not generally a fan of cold soups.

quote:
Roasted Vegetable Salad with Molasses Vinaigrette

2 parsnips
1 small butter nut squash
8 red pimento peppers

Romaine lettuce
2 tomatoes
Matzah
Fresh grated parmesan cheese

Vinaigrette

2 tsp black strap molasses
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup virgin olive oil

Peel parsnips and cut into ~ ½ inch chunks. Remove seeds from squash, peel and cut into ~ ½ inch chunks. You should have ~ 2 cups each of the parship and squash chunks. Coat the chunks lightly with olive oil and arrange on a broiler tray along with whole pimento peppers. Roast under broiler until the vegetables are soft and lightly browned. Slice the roasted peppers and combine all the roasted vegetables with the vinaigrette while they are still hot. Chill the vegetable mixture.

Remove veins from the lettuce leaves and arrange on four salad plates. Place a mound of the roasted vegetables in the center of the lettuce and arrange slice tomatoes around the mound. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garnish with wedges of matzah.

Since I'm gluten intolerant I used papadam instead of matzah. I was also delighted with how the salad turned out. The molasses vinaigrette complimented the parsnips and squash very well. The tomatoes didn't add much but I needed to eat them before I left town.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

So many great ideas. I didn't realize that parsnips worked raw, I never thought of pickling the vegetables or using the butternut squash seeds. I suspect the sesame seed oil was a great flavor combination with the roasted vegetables.

Good stuff!! Everyone.

I wonder what Dagonee will come up with.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'll preview it now: mango-lime-shrimp ceviche on a squash and parsnip puree (or two separate purees, haven't decided) with matzah croutons (shamelessly lifted from rivka's recipe, but probably with different seasonings).

Rabbit, once again I love your presentations. So artistic!

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Thanks Dagonee.

I've been looking through the recipes. I think the way Dana used the mango glaze on the shrimp might work very well with my shrimp and green mango soup. When I get home (not for another week and a half), I'll give it a try. I'm trying to decide whether I should use shallots in the glaze with the shrimp the way Dana did or garlic like I did originally. Any thoughts?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Dana, Your salad looks elegant enough to be served at the finest 5 star establishment. Its really beautiful and I suspect delicious as well.
dkw
Member # 3264

It was excellent. I brought some into the office because I'd mentioned the ingredient list for this challenge and everybody thought it sounded awful. They apologized for doubting. [Big Grin]

I also made extra glazed shrimp and squash and tossed them with pasta. That was a tasty meal too.

dkw
Member # 3264

One of the things that has impressed me the most about both rounds so far is how different everybody's recipes are. I also would never have thought of using the squash seeds (brilliant!) or of making a cold soup. And they all look/sound tasty.

I think it would be fun to actually serve a meal with all the rounds when we're done, but I might not use my own recipe from each round. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
with matzah croutons (shamelessly lifted from rivka's recipe, but probably with different seasonings).

I stole it from someone else (with minor alterations), so that seems only fair.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the ingredients for Dana's salad tonight. I am not making it for dinner, but I may or may not still make it tonight to take to work for lunch tomorrow. They didn't have butternut squash, though, so I got some other kind. I'm not being specific because I can't remember the name. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
I added a category for the Hatrack Recipe Challenge to the Princeclan recipe site. We'll have separate categories for each round. If everyone posts the recipes there, they'll be in a convenient place.

Por favor, un category por round two?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm still waiting for Dag to post his recipe so that we can move on.

Nu?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Dag, What's up? Are you going to post your recipe? Should we keep waiting for you or get started on the next round?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm sorry everyone. I've had some stuff come up and will be unable to continue in the challenge.

Rivka, I added the categories for rounds 2 and 3. You won't see them on the main list until there's a recipe in them. The option to add a recipe to these categories is now on the add recipe screen.

Unfortunately, there's a bug on princeclan right now. When it gets fixed, I'll let you know.

Sorry again.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.