FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Recipe Challenge! (Are we finished?!) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Hatrack Recipe Challenge! (Are we finished?!)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
'Zawright. Hope all goes well with you.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope everything is ok.

Thanks for adding the recipe categories.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tante and rivka. Things aren't really OK, but I don't know if they're merely bad or actually terrible yet. I'll most likely be pretty scarce for a while, although I'll be following the recipe challenge.

Prince Clan is working again, and the categories for rounds 2 & 3 are available for adding recipes.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Frown] Good luck. May it turn out to be not nearly as bad as you thought.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck & good wishes from here, too. You'll be on my mind and in my prayers.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Things aren't really OK, but I don't know if they're merely bad or actually terrible yet.

Well, crud. I'm sure you don't deserve that. I do hope that problems get swiftly and favorably resolved. I wish you the best.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm ready to have a go at Round 3. What course is that?

Who wants to play?

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in playing, but not this weekend 'cause we're going camping. I have a feeling I'll be at a bit of a disadvantage - we recently moved and the pantry is a bit bare - but it still sounds like a lot of fun.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Last round, I was just coming off of Passover and a houseful of guests that ate up everything we had. I did a "regular" shopping -- not with the contest in mind, but getting the stuff that I'd ordinarily get to keep in the house.

And it wouldn't have to be before this weekend, anyway. I'd be interested in seeing what you'd make.

Jhai
Member # 5633

Research is allowed, right? I would have had no idea what to do with, say, parsnips, unless I was allowed to look them up...
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Of course.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back in Trinidad and ready to start on round three if others are.

Well actually, my house is a disaster. All my personal possessions that were lost at sea for three weeks finally arrived. I returned from the states Sunday night to find my living and dining area packed to the ceiling with boxes and furniture. [Eek!]

But things are starting to get in order and I've made enough progress to believe my kitchen will be ready to cook in by the end of the week. (We need a keep your fingers crossed emoticon).

I think we agreed that round three would be a starch course (i.e. pasta, rice, potatoes, polenta etc.). The ingredients we submit should not be the base ingredient, that will be a variable left to each cook.

If you want to play, submit one ingredient by Sunday and I will post the list on Monday.

If we don't get enough people, I may ask each person for a second ingredient.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

If no one submits a meat/fish ingrediant, will they all be vegi, or will we get to choose that too? (Don't care one way or another - just wondering [Smile] )
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't specifically discuss that but we did decide that the 4th round would be a protein entree and we would leave the base ingredient (meat, fish, tofu . . .) up to the cook.

I think that for the starch dish, meat and fish should be subject to the general anything you normally have in you house rule.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Sounds good to me - I'm in, unless something big comes up in the next week. [Smile]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Oh, I guess I should add

If you want to participate, send an e-mail with one ingredient to hatrack_recipes at yahoo dot com before Monday Morning.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

So far we have only three participants. Please consider joining us.
dkw
Member # 3264

Sent.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it considered cheating to do it with someone? I'm still too new on the whole exploratory cooking thing to be brave enough to venture this on my own...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Sounds fine to me. When there are no winners, losers, or judging, cheating is kind of a nebulous concept.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
Is it considered cheating to do it with someone? I'm still too new on the whole exploratory cooking thing to be brave enough to venture this on my own...

I don't see any problem with doing it with someone. It sounds fun.
rivka
Member # 4859

It does indeed. [Smile]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

This just to remind people that the deadline for submissions for round 3 is today.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Round Three: Starchy goodness

Participants
  • cmc
  • dkw
  • Tante Shvester
  • rivka
  • Jhai
  • The Rabbit

Ingredients
  • mushrooms
  • tomatoes
  • rhubarb
  • okra
  • tumeric
  • sour cream

Good Luck!

The Rabbit
Member # 671

I've got a problem. Rhubarb simply doesn't seem to be available in Trinidad so I'm trying to find a rational substitute. I'm thinking of using Tamarind because it has a similar sort of tartness but the texture is very different. What do you think?
dkw
Member # 3264

I don't know enough about tamarind to have an opinion. In general I'd say whatever you think is appropriate.

I wish this list were a bit later in the summer -- the tomatoes here are still winter-yucky.

Jhai
Member # 5633

I'd agree that tamarind would be a decent substitute for rhubarb. And I'd be very intersted to see what you come up with - I expect you'll go South Asian given the tamarind, turmeric, sour cream, and bindi (okra).
rivka
Member # 4859

Bleh. I hate okra.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Bleh. I hate okra.

Maybe you'll get lucky and they won't have any at your grocery store.
rivka
Member # 4859

No, they do. We grow it here, I think.

That's ok. I'll just use a bit.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I like all those things. I just have to find a way to make them get along. I don't think I've ever combined rhubarb with mushrooms.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okra is a great thickener. It doesn't have to taste like anything if you just use it as a thickener...

And I've had a roast chicken with rhubarb and mushrooms (among other things) that was Very Tasty.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Okra is a great thickener. It doesn't have to taste like anything if you just use it as a thickener...

Ok. Sample recipe, perhaps?
dkw
Member # 3264

I'm done. Should I post it now, or wait so as not to unduly influence anyone else's creative process?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Flanken show off. [Grumble]

My brain has finished its storming process, but I haven't been shopping, yet. And it looks like I won't be until Friday, when I shop and cook for Shabbos. We'll be eating the rhubarb-okra-mushroom thing for Shabbos, so I'll likely post my recipe on Saturday night or Sunday.

You go ahead and post it now, if you like, and I'll do my level best not to feel too inferior.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Ok. Sample recipe, perhaps?
Um... Gumbo?

Honestly, I've never used okra in anything I measure. I just use it in saucy or stew-y things and put it in early, so it kinda dissolves into the sauciness and thickens it. It could definitely be used to thicken a rhubarb sauce, for instance, and if the two were used together could be not that noticeable in either texture or taste.

Not to "cheat," since I'm not really playing. [Wink] Just thinking out loud, as it were. As a fellow non-okra-lover (usually.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Stewed okra functions pretty much the same as stewed tomatillos as a thickener, now that I think of it. (But tomatillos taste better. [Wink] )
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I used to hate okra. Now I really like it, and have it for lunch all the time.

I'm having some right now!

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Do you normally have lunch a 1:31 am?
dkw
Member # 3264

She does, because she works nights.

We both had the day off yesterday, so in between frantic bursts of sorting and packing Bob went grocery shopping and I cooked. (Then we found out that we have a house showing today and we frantically cleaned up from all the packing and sorting. And now we're so stiff we can barely move.)

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Moan!! Having recently sold a house and moved, I can honestly sympathize.

Right now, I'm in the unpacking phase, which also goes in frantic bursts. If I didn't own so many galdang books, I probably wouldn't be quite so stiff or have so many bruises. Do other people get bruses on their thighs from moving heavy boxes. I must do something with my thighs where I prop them up or lift them as they fall, I've never really noticed myself doing it but I know I end up with a lot of bruises.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Do you normally have lunch a 1:31 am?

Well, I usually have lunch around 2:30 or 3 AM, but I didn't eat lunch at 5 pm, like I usually do, and I was hungry, so I had lunch early.

Yeah, I eat two or three meals a day, and they're all lunch. In fact, I just got home from work, and I'm eating lunch in front of the computer right now -- cottage cheese with tomato and tumeric (yeah, I'm trying out flavors), and some canned salmon. I'll be going to sleep before very long, too.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

So how is tumeric on tomatoes?
dkw
Member # 3264

I thought they went surprisingly well together.

I also get the bruises on my legs from moving, I think you're probably right about using thighs to balance/shift boxes.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

I have made several indian dishes in the past that call for both tomatoes and tumeric so I wasn't ever worried about that one. Its the tumeric and rhubarb that has be a bit concerned.

Who knows, maybe curried rhubard will be the next hot trend in east/west fushion cuisine.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I get bruises on my hips when I move. I tend to rest boxes there (right on the bone) while opening/closing doors and such. I think I sometimes get smaller bruises on my thighs from where the bottom edge hits me when I take a step, if I can't lift it high enough to clear my waist.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I used sweet potatoes and spring roll wrappers as my starch base and made an South Asian style "Lasagna". The recipe gets kind of complicated but it tasted deliciousl. All the parts can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to serve.

Here is the photo.

“Lasagna” South Asian Style

This Lasagna type dish is made using spring roll wrappers with layers of stir fried curried vegetables, sweet potato puree and a tomato tamarind chutney sauce.

Stirfried Okra, Mushrooms and Cabbage

2 Tbsp Tamarind paste
½ pound of Okra
½ pound of button mushrooms
½ pound of cabbage
1 small onion
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
½ tsp tumeric
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander seed
dried red chilli powder (to taste)
salt to taste
2 Tbsp olive oil

Chop okra and mushrooms into ~ ¼ inch chunks. Dice cabbage. Thinly slice the onion. Heat oil in a skillet. Add onions and sauté until lightly caramelized. Add garlic and ginger and sauté briefly before adding remaining vegetables. Stir fry vegetables until they soften. Mix tamarind with 1 cup of water and add to vegetable mixture with remaining spices. Simmer on low heat until most of the liquid is gone. Add salt and chilli powder to taste and reserve

Sweet Potatoe Puree

2 large sweet potatoes
1 cup sour cream
½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
2 tsp ghee
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp dried red pepper powder
salt to taste

Peel and cube sweet potatoes and cook in boiling water until soft. Drain sweet potatoes sweet potatoes. In a small frying pan, temper mustard, cumin and pepper. Add sourcream, nutmeg and the tempered spice to the mashpotates and blend until smooth and reserve.

Tomato and Tamarind Chutney

4 small tomatoes
1 Tbsp tamarind
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp green mango chutney
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves

Dice tomatoes. Combine with remaining ingredients in sauce pan and bring to a boil for ~ 2 minutes.

For assembly

Spring roll wrappers
chopped peanuts
cilantro
sour cream
nutmeg
red pepper
tumeric
tomatoes.

To prepare individual servings beging by softening one spring roll wrapper briefly in water. Place wrapper on plate and put ~2Tbsp of the stir fried vegetables on one half of the wrapper and then fold the wrapper over. Spread ~1 Tbsp of the tomato chutney on top. Soften a second spring roll wrapper and place it overlapping the first so that is will fold in the opposite direction. Put ~2 Tbsp of the sweet potato puree on the spring roll wrapper directly over the vegetable mixture and then fold the wrapper over. Top with ~1Tbsp of the tomato chutney. Repeat the process to get four total layers. Place aside with you make remaining servings.

Microwave each serving for ~1 minute prior to serving. Cut the lasagna piece in half and arrange the two halves to reveal the layered structure. Garnish with peanuts, cilantro, spices, tomatoes and sour cream.

[ May 29, 2008, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

dkw
Member # 3264

I made a few different things, because I wasn’t completely satisfied with the first and because I had ingredients left over. I started with:

Wacky Gnocchi pic

2 T veg. oil
20 okra, sliced
6 stalks rhubarb, peeled & sliced
10 mushrooms, sliced
1 small Vidalia onion, cut into thin wedges
turmeric
paprika
salt & pepper
2 T flour
½ c milk
½ c sour cream
dried dill

1 lb cooked potato gnocchi
1 large roma tomato, seeded & diced

Heat oil in skillet until sizzling, add okra, fry until just starting to brown. Add rhubarb, stir for a few minutes, add mushrooms and then onions. Sprinkle generously with turmeric & paprika, lightly with salt & pepper. When everything is cooked reduce heat and stir in flour until well mixed and no dry lumps of flour remain. Add milk, stir and cook until thick & bubbly. Turn heat to very low, add sour cream and sprinkle with a little dill. Toss with gnocchi, then mix in the tomatoes and serve immediately.

This was tasty, but the sour cream sauce with the gnocchi was a little heavy. If I were to do it again I’d either make it the same but serve it over fettuccini or make a lighter sauce for the gnocchi & veggies and then put a squiggle of turmeric-dill seasoned sour cream on top.
So the next day I tried:

Okra-Rhubarb Stuffed Biscuits pic or Dumplings pic

10 okra, sliced
4 large stalks rhubarb, peeled & sliced
1 T sugar
2 mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 c sour cream
3 c bisquick-style baking mix
1 t turmeric
6-8 oil-packed sundried tomatoes, finely chopped

Heat a non-stick pan over med-high heat. Put okra in pan and cook until just beginning to brown. Add rhubarb and ¼ c water, reduce heat to medium and cook until you have a gooey mass. Add sugar and mushrooms, leave to cook over low heat while mixing the dough. For dough, mix sour cream, baking mix, and turmeric to form a soft dough. Add sundried tomatoes. Spoon about 2/3 of the dough by large spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Form each blob into a nest and place a small spoonful of the veggie mix inside. Use the remaining dough to cover, and pinch edges to seal well. Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes for biscuits or cook in boiling broth 5-6 minutes for dumplings.

These were both yummy, but the dumplings cooked in chicken broth were definitely both Bob’s and my favorite of all three things I tried this round.

rivka
Member # 4859

My rhubarb is in the mail.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
These were both yummy, but the dumplings cooked in chicken broth were definitely both Bob’s and my favorite of all three things I tried this round.
Is this the same as the biscuit recipe but cooked in chicken broth rather than baked or will we be getting a third recipe soon?
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.